The supporting cast thread

True, but just as Carol could and likely will be introduced in an earlier film, I don't see why Jess can't.

If the Captain Marvel movie deals with Carol's origins and her ties to the Kree and Mar-Vell and all that, how would Jessica Drew fit into that story?

Last edited:
If the Captain Marvel movie deals with Carol's origins and her ties to the Kree and Mar-Vell and all that, how would Jessica Drew fit into that story?
That will depend on what kind of note Civil War ends on. But Carol's personal life will also be in play given it's her movie, and I'd just assume Jess is one Carol's "war buddies" from the days she flew Air Force or covert missions with SHIELD before its collapse. Traditionally, Jess had a hard time getting along with anyone due in part to her past and in part to her "pheromones" issue, and Carol's one of the few exceptions. After the SHIELD debacle, Jess is probably still trying to find her footing. There's not an obvious place out there for a formerly brainwashed HYDRA experiment turned SHIELD operative with weird abilities, so with Fury underground, Carol's basically her primary support system and tie to the world. It would be nice to see how the tables turn when Carol gets weird abilities of her own and suddenly has government operatives wary of her the way they are of Jess.

Another option is if SWORD starts to become a thing born out of the reemergence of SHIELD and the new cosmic threats, enter Jessica Drew: Agent of SWORD. Or still SHIELD, just the "space division." Or whatever. But they would likely fill the same role that NASA did in the comics, recruiting Carol to work for them, so Jess would serve as a friendly face there.

That's just two of many possible scenarios depending on the direction of the MCU. Regardless, she and Carol are BFF's (unlike Carol and Monica), and that relationship should be in these movies, imo.

Last edited:
I wonder if maybe the Avengers or Shield rescued Jess from a Hydra camp during the raids on Hydra's bases post-Winter Solider/pre-AOU.

Certainly a possibility. But I'd prefer it if they kept to the comics backstory where she was a HYDRA experiment/operative who attempted an assassination on Nick Fury when he was still director, learned the truth about her backstory and turned against HYDRA. That would mean she should've been a SHIELD operative/asset already before the collapse, albeit one a lot of people still didn't trust and probably just saw her as "that freaky Spider-Woman" or something. The lack of trust would explain why Fury didn't originally include her in his Avengers plan, too.

It's an entirely fictitious organization. They can do whatever the hell they want with it.

Fictitious, yes but Marvel goes out go its way to make its universe appear somewhat believable and somewhat grounded in reality. Going from harbor patrol to a NASA-like spy agency is a huge stretch whether in real life or a comic book movie.

Jessica will probably turn up elsewhere eventually. Me? I'm hoping and banking on those two or at least one of them. Or even just Wendy who is already part of Carol's immediate supporting cast.

Well, I'd like to see Mar-Vell(if origin story), Rhodey, and Jessica Drew. Kamala and Monica would be nice, but not necessary. They just don't have that strong of a connection to Carol's story.

Jessica Drew has been everywhere in the Marvel universe. Shield, Hydra, Sword. It shouldn't be that difficult to fit her in a Captain Marvel movie. It's no problem if Marvel is going to make a Jessica Drew movie. Black Panther will be in Civil War before his movie.

Fictitious, yes but Marvel goes out go its way to make its universe appear somewhat believable and somewhat grounded in reality. Going from harbor patrol to a NASA-like spy agency is a huge stretch whether in real life or a comic book movie.

No more a huge stretch than someone gaining superpowers from an alien race.:oldrazz: And if it's a huge deal then all it requires is changing it so that she's always been with S.W.O.R.D. The movies take liberties with the comic canon all the time.

Jessica Drew has been everywhere in the Marvel universe. Shield, Hydra, Sword. It shouldn't be that difficult to fit her in a Captain Marvel movie. It's no problem if Marvel is going to make a Jessica Drew movie. Black Panther will be in Civil War before his movie.

Black Panther is easy to fit into Civil War because it's not an origin story, and by its very nature already requires multiple heroes. An origin story for Carol is not a good place to just dump Jessica given the lengthiness and complexity of her background. Especially if large parts of the movie take place in space and move into sci-fi territory instead of standard superhero stuff.

I'd like to see them palling around in an Avengers movie but she's not necessary for the plot of a Captain Marvel solo. Put her somewhere else where her origin is allowed to breathe.

That's just two of many possible scenarios depending on the direction of the MCU. Regardless, she and Carol are BFF's (unlike Carol and Monica), and that relationship should be in these movies, imo.

Not all the relationships in the MCU are accurately represented, so it's not that big a stretch to play around with things. Banner and Stark were never BFFs, Howard Stark did not have a huge role in Captain America's origin nor were they close friends, Banner and Romanoff never dated, and so on.

So I can understand perhaps liking or disliking elements from a personal standpoint, but "That didn't happen in the comics" rarely matters to the movie continuity.

Last edited:
^But they are more likely to use the comics as inspiration than not, especially when establishing the character's place in their universe, as we did get the Iron Man/Rhodey friendship, Cap/Falcon friendship and we're about to get a version of the complicated Cap/Iron Man relationship, so it doesn't seem crazy to think it's likely they will adapt Carol's main relationships in this case, either.

Also, for the record, I'm not necessarily suggesting they INTRODUCE Jess in Carol's origin film. I'd expect to see Jessica Drew introduced BEFORE the Captain Marvel film, possibly in Infinity War: Part 1, just as I also expect to see Carol before her film as well. I just ALSO hope to see Jess in the Captain Marvel film as she is Carol's best friend and Carol will obviously need supporting players in her film, including a best friend. And since Jessica seems like a strong potential candidate to be Marvel's next marquee female heroine after Carol AND has ties to the HYDRA experiments story the MCU has been telling, she seems like the most logical choice to me.

I still don't know why we are "expecting" to see Carol in another Marvel movie before her stand alone. Black Panther might be appearing in Civil War before his stand alone but that doesn't mean all the characters are gonna get the same treatment going forward.

"Wishful thinking" + "educated guess" = "a feeling." :D

Last edited:
No more a huge stretch than someone gaining superpowers from an alien race.:oldrazz: And if it's a huge deal then all it requires is changing it so that she's always been with S.W.O.R.D. The movies take liberties with the comic canon all the time.

It's still a stretch. How someone gets alien superpowers or how Thor's hammer works can easily be explained away as being beyond our understanding. Things that we do understand such as politics, military branches, and real world science should be well understood and make sense in the movie. The other things, well it's not that they don't make sense, it's just that we don't know how.

Completely altering a character's origin sounds like an unnecessary attempt to shoehorn that character in the movie.

Black Panther is easy to fit into Civil War because it's not an origin story, and by its very nature already requires multiple heroes. An origin story for Carol is not a good place to just dump Jessica given the lengthiness and complexity of her background. Especially if large parts of the movie take place in space and move into sci-fi territory instead of standard superhero stuff.

I'd like to see them palling around in an Avengers movie but she's not necessary for the plot of a Captain Marvel solo. Put her somewhere else where her origin is allowed to breathe.

Well, the idea was that if a solo character shows up in a movie before their own film, this would be bad because of overexposure. Marvel obviously doesn't agree with this. So, it's possible Jessica could show up in a Captain Marvel movie in-powered. Also, if your concern is about Carol being out in space, then there is absolutely no reason to include any character other than Mar-Vell. What purpose could Monica and and Kamala serve? They aren't necessary to Carol's origin either.

Not all the relationships in the MCU are accurately represented, so it's not that big a stretch to play around with things. Banner and Stark were never BFFs, Howard Stark did not have a huge role in Captain America's origin nor were they close friends, Banner and Romanoff never dated, and so on.

So I can understand perhaps liking or disliking elements from a personal standpoint, but "That didn't happen in the comics" rarely matters to the movie continuity.

The relationships? No, but Marvel has done a reasonably good job in drawing inspiration from the comics when it comes to choosing the supporting characters. Rhodey, Pepper, and Happy are important characters to Iron Man's story. Carol hasn't even met Kamala and has only interacted with Monica once in recent memory. This is not to say these characters can't be in a Captain Marvel movie as a very brief cameo, but they're just not necessary.

Completely altering a character's origin sounds like an unnecessary attempt to shoehorn that character in the movie.

And yet it's been done multiple times.

What purpose could Monica and and Kamala serve? They aren't necessary to Carol's origin either.

They'd be fun nods to the mythology and unlike Jessica don't come from complex mythologies that require explanations. Particularly if Kamala is introduced pre-Inhuman.

I am sure Marvel wants to use Carol beyond one film so there is no need to throw everything and the kitchen sink into the Captain Marvel movie in regards to her mythology. Not every friend or superhero inspired by her needs to be there right away.

I didn't say everyone does, but having Monica appear in some capacity or a cameo by Kamala would be cool. S'all I'm saying.

I agree, it would be nice to see them.

I would like to see Monica in there as well.

How about Michael Rossi? He's important to her past, although he's probably better known from X-Men at this point.

Simon Williams, aka Wonder Man could be a civilian love interest who suits up down the road.

You know, I can totally see Jessica showing up in Agents of SHIELD first. Ward is looking for powered people and she might be one of those names on the list. It would be interesting to see. I'm sure from there they could find a way to tie her in with Carol.

While I'm REALLY excited to hear that, I'm also very bummed to hear that. I'd love Jess to show up with Carol. Maybe Carol will show up on that instead?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"