The Dark Knight Rises The TDKR Batsuit Discussion Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.
To add to the armor under protective cloth idea:

jimlee1572382underarmor.jpg

Came across this old Jim Lee sketch from 2002 showing how he pictures the armor under the
suit to look and noticed it kind of looks like a hybrid of the unpainted Begins suit & the TDK suit:

abatman128bsmall.jpg
2680784699_0624aa38b3.jpg

It's almost like Nolan's half way there and if he would just cover it up with some protective fabric (like that modified arkham suit),
and only show the under armor in the cave or if/when the outer layer gets damaged.

To add to the armor under protective cloth idea:

jimlee1572382underarmor.jpg

Came across this old Jim Lee sketch from 2002 showing how he pictures the armor under the
suit to look and noticed it kind of looks like a hybrid of the unpainted Begins suit & the TDK suit:

abatman128bsmall.jpg
2680784699_0624aa38b3.jpg

It's almost like Nolan's half way there and if he would just cover it up with some protective fabric (like that modified arkham suit),
and only show the under armor in the cave or if/when the outer layer gets damaged.

The first great post on these boards in a long, long time. Thanks for this.

You are correct. Only us fanboys notice those pads bending, nolan did a pretty good job in hiding them. Still, many fans support the suit because it makes sense in real life and because batman should be all about practicality or whatever. Well arguement debunked. The TDK suit isnt actually practical. Its impractical and ugly to look at.

But for me its more than that. If Spiderman's shtick is mobility, Batman's is being a wraith. Watching him walk around in the TDK suit (robot-man with a towel hanging from his shoulders) is like watching spiderman wearing a heavy armour.
:woot::applaud

I've come to terms with the fact that we won't see anything radically different in TDKR (if we see anything different at all). We will get an all-black, armored suit. To think otherwise is simply delusional thinking. So as far as my batsuit dreams are concerned, I'll have to keep hopes high for the next franchise, and a director who actually wants to try something different after twenty years.

But for the love of all that is holy, the suit desperately needs to be simplified and streamlined. The one we got in TDK would land you a big, fat "F" in Design 101. It's a cluttered mess. A chaotic monstrocity.

From a design perspective, I have absolutely no idea how Christopher Nolan and Lindy Hemming could move forward from the concept stage with a pencil neck, a light-bulb cowl, a lifeless towl-cape, an obscured chest emblem, and those accursed jig-saw legs.

My God. Those legs. How that particular design element got beyond the trash bin just escapes me. They just do not look good. It's almost like Nolan said, "**** it. We're not gonna see the legs all that much anyway. Doesn't matter what they look like." And then, naturally, they opted for the most hideous design - so when we actually do see the legs in the film, we detail-obsessed cynics can't help but get hung up on them.

:up:Couldn't have said it better myself

I really don't see the appeal of the "armor under cloth" idea. I mean, I know that that is how it is in the comics, and there is a certain percentage of comics fans that want the movies to be exactly like the comics in every way, but otherwise I don't get it.

I really don't see the appeal of the "armor under cloth" idea. I mean, I know that that is how it is in the comics, and there is a certain percentage of comics fans that want the movies to be exactly like the comics in every way, but otherwise I don't get it.

You know that underarmor football players wear?

Okay, picture that, but light grey, with a bullet proof vest under it, and a yellow bat-oval on the chest.

Meh... we'll get a truly great Bat-suit on film one day.

The Burton suits were a step forward at the time and I loove them... but why is it in order to advance them Nolan felt the need to strip away part of Batman's persona.

All this... 'we can now light the suit fully... as its the way its meant to look and we don't need to hide anything'... is all well and good but not when Batman is just walking around as a guy in armour with a towel for a cape.

Every time a read this thread I feel blessed to have a director in charge of the Batman movie franchise who doesn't give a damn about what fans want.

Especially design wise.

Every time a read this thread I feel blessed to have a director in charge of the Batman movie franchise who doesn't give a damn about what fans want.

Especially design wise.

Because it's too much to ask for the design team to do their jobs better instead of just saying: "***** it, put the leftover Robocop parts on him"?

Because it's too much to ask for the design team to do their jobs better instead of just saying: "***** it, put the leftover Robocop parts on him"?

Come on man.... honestly? Could you do any better? The suit is a matter of taste, not abilities, okay?

i don't really care either way how the suit is interpreted, as long as it does not look stupid. i found this as an example of what they could do visually with an over-armor material so that it does not look so plain and boring as just a plain grey fabric.

i think if they did go with a material over armor it would have to have a textured look (not unlike the B:AA suit) to give it a more organic feel. again, this is just a quick example i found.

Come on man.... honestly? Could you do any better? The suit is a matter of taste, not abilities, okay?

Taste has nothing to do with how you see something, how you percieve it however is entirely different. How do you go from:

Jim_Lee_Batman_quicky_by_dcjosh.jpg

to

Batman_suit_The_Dark_Knight_movie_costume.jpg

or

images

to

batman.jpg

?

And those are two VERY similar pics I chose, and there still too different.

Oh, and by the way. It's not my job to do better. It's theirs.

^Lord that bottom pic really makes the point doesn't it? The legs look terrible. The gauntlet scallops are on the outside of the forearms instead of the bottom edge. The cape isn't scalloped unless it's in electro-structure guide mode. And you can't see the Bat symbol.

The legs look like they were drunkenly glued together with bits of scrap metal.

Dammit Nolan why couldn't you have just kept the Begins suit? :(

Well Me. Earle, my only suggestion at this point, after reading your posts, is that the only person who is ever going to design and build a batsuit like, is you.

Well Me. Earle, my only suggestion at this point, after reading your posts, is that the only person who is ever going to design and build a batsuit like, is you.
You mean the only one who is going to design a batsuit that I like? Oh, Jak, Llama, and DarkKnight83 are spot on.

Especially design wise.

I have to say I somewhat agree....

No offense to anyone here.

I agree. Directors should do whatever they want regardless of what the fans or the audience thinks. Gothic - grimdark Batman movies with penguin monsters, ice suits, and robot batman. Epic!

iceeg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back