The Tennis Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brad Gilbert fast facts show that Del Potro actually won more of the longer rallies than Djokovic, which is kind of extraordinary. The serve is still king on grass

If Novak wins he's my pick to win the whole thing. Serving for it.

I'm thinking a Djokovic-Murray final on Centre Court will be QUITE compelling. I'm getting chills just thinking about it.

One thing I know is that Murray isn't going to give as many free points as Delpo surrendered today. He would have gotten a lot of those serves back, especially the oodles of unreturnables. And he'll get a lot more free points on his own serve. Delpo pretty well didn't get any the last sets, except when Djokovic overcooked his return. And Murray won't be as exploitable at net.

And I haven't yet forgot the struggles Djokovic had handing Murray's slice at the Olympics last year. Junk ball can bother Djokovic, especially on grass. I think Murray's the better mover on grass and his defense essentially made Djokovic quit.

Of course it helps that Murray was playing with supreme confidence and raining humongous first serves. :cwink:

Wuh-oh, Murray double faults the first set to Jerzy Boy.

I'm thinking Murray should do his best to make this a quick match, since I don't think a closed roof is going to hurt Jerzy's game in the least.

That serve of Jerzys :heart:

Also the hands at net, and his forehand, and his court coverage. All good stuff. He's got spunk too. There was a moment when he stared Murray down after holding from 15-40 down. Love it.

He's doing a decent enough job keeping points short, but it has been amazing watching giants grind it out against Djokovic and Murray.

Holy jeebus, that was a great point there ending with Murray laying out.

Frico, I feel bad for you. This has been a good tennis day.

Murray digs out of another hole and holds.

I see Murray rolling from here. He'll take it in 4.

I tend to agree, but I'm not counting out Janowicz. There's too much game in his stick and there is also the matter of the roof probably closing after this set which will give Janowicz a breather and the perfect atmosphere for his game.

This has been a pretty even match. I assume the total points must be about equal.

Double break point opportunity for Jerzy here. He couldn't capitalize on any of those last set...

Ace from Muzz. Another ace up the T. And another ace, slice out wide. And an error from Janowicz.

Right after I said that Jano is up a break. I'll be surprised if he loses this set, but I would still bet almost anything that Murray takes it in 5.

Frico, I feel bad for you. This has been a good tennis day.

Murray digs out of another hole and holds.

I had to miss the first two sets sadly but I'll catch the replay. -_-

Mean time, The Pole-verizer up 4-2!

AAAAAnd there goes the break.

I think you're right CK with Murray taking this in four but then again I thought Murray would win their match in Paris last year and look what happend, lol.

Lol the media here are going ape**** about the roof being closed. Yeh it's tactical, but **** Murray doesn't have a leg to stand on for years he feigned injuries. Murrays got this tied up, another 20 minutes isn't going to change that. I appreciate it changes the conditions, but this is the world number 2, who needs 1 set to clinch it. Everytime I warm to Muzza the BBC do it's best to turn me off!

Last edited:
Also a message for Mr Janowicz, that drop shot? Yeah well it ain't working anymore!

Yeah I wish he'd stop that. He's crushing the ball at the moment though. Reminds me of Rosol/Nadal last year when the roof was closed.

Break point for Murray.

Murrays played some incredible shots, I think Sak's right on the mark when he says Nole won't be getting as many cheap points out of Murray as he did Delpo and even Berdych.
I think it's Murray's year!

Not to put on my psychological hat or anything, and I do think that Lendl gave him the tools to win Slams with his forehand and first serve, but I think he got a lot of emotional baggage off his shoulders last year and that's helped him tremendously. I know that wasnt the first time he cried after Federer beat him in a Slam final, but I think it was the first time he wasn't trying to hide it. That was cathartic for him and allowed him to just play and be empowered by the support, not burdened by it.

I think he should be the favorite on Sunday. I'm very well pleased with this final. There's a freshness to this old match up.

Lol the media here are going ape**** about the roof being closed. Yeh it's tactical, but **** Murray doesn't have a leg to stand on for years he feigned injuries. Murrays got this tied up, another 20 minutes isn't going to change that. I appreciate it changes the conditions, but this is the world number 2, who needs 1 set to clinch it. Everytime I warm to Muzza the BBC do it's best to turn me off!

Reminds me of NBC's Olympic coverage when they'll start trash talking 14 year old Chinese gymnasts.

Lisicki misfiring, rushing and first serve not clicking. First set to Bartoli 6-1 and working the angles.

Lisicki, you are tearing my heart out. :(

Her forehand which is one of her weapons is hurting her. So much mistiming. I also wish she'd stop with the drop shots, she should be moving Bartoli side by side and using that power she has. But Bartoli has been sharp.

4-1 to Bartoli in the second and tears already flowing from Lisicki.

The draw has been a gift to Bartoli, with Lisicki taking out Serena, and then both Bartoli's semi and final opponents completely folding under their emotions.

None of that is Bartoli's fault, but it seems unjust that she has had to produce so little and Lisicki so much.

That's sport.

Congrats to Bartoli who deserved this after being a former finalist. For Lisicki, another learning experience. Shame after playing/looking brilliant and being confident against Serena and Radwanska that she had to spiral down during the championship. She was playing she so much better near the end.

Bartoli's been in this position before and knew what to expect. She looked to be the better prepared player of the two. Lisicki still has plenty of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"