The Tennis Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The draw has been a gift to Bartoli, with Lisicki taking out Serena, and then both Bartoli's semi and final opponents completely folding under their emotions.

None of that is Bartoli's fault, but it seems unjust that she has had to produce so little and Lisicki so much.

That's sport.

Yep.

Lisicki beaten by Lisicki in straight sets.

Oh well, congrats to Bartoli. A tenacious and clever player, always interesting to watch.

From semi-finalist to finalist. 2014: champion? :oldrazz:

It's climbing that mountain again, though. Let's hope this gives her that little bit of steel she needs, instead of breaking her heart.

Sad to see Lisicki lose her nerve. Congrats to Bartoli she stayed focused and got the job done.

I can't remember a centre court crowd being so unenthusiastic about a champion before. Even last year when Federer beat Murray he got a bigger cheer.

I think it was probably out of sympathy for Sabine. You would have to have a heart of stone not to root for the girl who is visibly in tears because her nerves are making her dream slip away. I actually feel bad for Bartoli because that's a crappy way to win, and it is very hard to hit the right note as a winner without seeming like a triumphalist ass.

If a dude were visibly in tears because his nerves were making his dream slip away, would you automatically root for him? He'd probably be labeled soft and ridiculed, lol.

I would probably have been more impressed if she were able to just take the loss in stride, clearly motivated to work harder in the future. I guess it just shows how young she is mentally. Either way, she's got a promising future ahead of her.

Well, men feel about men and women differently, hence the species propagates.

But yes, in fact I would still feel bad for the guy in question.

Well todays the day, I think finally the time has come where a Brit will win Wimbledon and to be honest I sincerely hope he does. Now I've not made it a secret in the past in this thread that really I'm not a Murray fan and I hate the charm offensive the BBC have been on to try and make people like him.
For those who haven't seen the BBC followed up the excellent Venus and Serena documentary which showed the sisters warts and all, with their own on Andy Murray which may aswell have been called Andy Murray "Love me!". It consisted of 10 minutes of his mother telling you he is great, 20 minutes of celebrities from Comedians to Kevin Spacey telling you how great he is, 10 minutes of Dunblane emotional blackmail, 10 minutes of his fit missus and 10 minutes of Ross Hutchins telling you that Murray singlehandedly helped his fight with cancer. It showed little to none of his on court and achievements. The only credit I can give it is Murray himself seemed to cringe his way through it.

But all that aside his on court transformation from the skinny winey kid who couldn't play 3 hours mentally or physically, to an Adonis in body and mind, is nothing short of incredible. Has Rafa's slump helped him? Yeh of course, but listen he's taken the chance with both hands (Federer take note) and he deserves to be up there. He's had a goal and naysayers like me where never going to stop him. Good luck to him and lets hope today he can put the names Bunny Austin and Fred Perry to rest.

We are two Djokovic service games into the match, and Murray finally converts on his seventh break point. He actually played that one aggressively by taking Djokovic out wide on his forehand side then coming behind him with a backhand down the line.

The crowd is pro Murray, anti Djokovic. They cheer Djokovic's misses, and he's already had several to cheer

For Christ's sake, keep your nerve and keep your serve.

Djoker holds for 3-2 after Murray loses the break. Hell of a start so far!

Well todays the day, I think finally the time has come where a Brit will win Wimbledon and to be honest I sincerely hope he does. Now I've not made it a secret in the past in this thread that really I'm not a Murray fan and I hate the charm offensive the BBC have been on to try and make people like him.
For those who haven't seen the BBC followed up the excellent Venus and Serena documentary which showed the sisters warts and all, with their own on Andy Murray which may aswell have been called Andy Murray "Love me!". It consisted of 10 minutes of his mother telling you he is great, 20 minutes of celebrities from Comedians to Kevin Spacey telling you how great he is, 10 minutes of Dunblane emotional blackmail, 10 minutes of his fit missus and 10 minutes of Ross Hutchins telling you that Murray singlehandedly helped his fight with cancer. It showed little to none of his on court and achievements. The only credit I can give it is Murray himself seemed to cringe his way through it.

But all that aside his on court transformation from the skinny winey kid who couldn't play 3 hours mentally or physically, to an Adonis in body and mind, is nothing short of incredible. Has Rafa's slump helped him? Yeh of course, but listen he's taken the chance with both hands (Federer take note) and he deserves to be up there. He's had a goal and naysayers like me where never going to stop him. Good luck to him and lets hope today he can put the names Bunny Austin and Fred Perry to rest.

Thanks for the coverage. It's obviously a huge story in Britain and I appreciate the perspective you give us.

Meanwhile, Djokovic has put his little white hat on, broke Murray at 15, and held for 3-2.

Murray has to be a little more aggressive. He's turned into a pusher again.

Murray finds success again attacking Djokovic's forehand out wide, then coming behind him down the line.

Djokovic misfiring down the line with his forehand, which is a hard shot, then stares at his shoes.

Djokovic tries down the line on his backhand. Finds the tape. The shot wasnt really there. Is he tired from the JMDP match?

Murray responds to the break by double faulting twice to start the eighth game

Slice out wide, forehand into the open court. Classic grass 1-2 punch.

Double break look for Djokovic. Murray aces him up the T.

So some early controversy as the Umpire called a Djokovic ball out and Murray continued to play for some reason and ends up winning the point. Odd. Djokovic's ball was out so it doesn't matter.

Djokovic earns his third break look this game. He's really working Murray over. Murray is doing most of the legwork in these rallies.

Last edited:
LOL, here come the boos.

Djoker misses the easy forheand by dumping it in the net with the court open. AD-Murray.

No mistake with the smash this time and we're back to deuce.

Murray responds with a huge inside out forehand, he approaches Djokovic's save and puts it away.

Murray's hitting the ball really well. 5-3.

Double for Novak! 0-30.

Djoker misses the easy forheand by dumping it in the net with the court open. AD-Murray.

No mistake with the smash this time and we're back to deuce.

Murray is probably the best smash defender I've ever seen. I seem to recall a point during last year's final when Federer had to hit three consecutive smashes to win the point.

Djokovic kind of unraveling a bit here. This is an important hold for him to get.

We're at deuce

Murray is probably the best smash defender I've ever seen. I seem to recall a point during last year's final when Federer had to hit three consecutive smashes to win the point.

Yep. :up: He'll do that often when it comes to the smash. Always tries to make the opponent hit an extra ball and it works the majority of the time too. Human backboard.

Djoker's coming into net a lot more.

Well, the Scot will serve for the opening set.

3 set points. Good serving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"