The Tennis Thread - Part 5

Nadal on in the Masters right now.
The group layout, and draw of this tournament made my head hurt.
I guess I'll finally know what I'm looking at when I see a pic of someone holding a trophy!?.
Good luck to them!

Last edited:
I think if Rafa was to win this tournament then that would pretty much be it for Fed holding him off long term from the all time record (assuming Rafa doesn’t pick up a major injury or something). He has such a good chance at the French every year and a lot of years on Fed.
Day 1 and there's an upset brewing already: Kanepi leads Halep 6-2, 3-0. She better wake up *now*.

uk1AvdQ.jpg

Rafael Nadal Clinches Davis Cup Title For Spain With Win Against Denis Shapovalov | ATP Tour | Tennis
Rafael Nadal, the year-end World No. 1, finished his season on a high by leading Spain to its sixth Davis Cup title. Nadal defeated Denis Shapovalov 6-3, 7-6(7) to clinch Spain’s 2-0 win against Canada.

Davis Cup final: Rafael Nadal bids to seal Spain win over Canada – as it happened!

4070.jpg

-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqmB2alvIxE (Italian)

I also like that he does the doubles in these tournaments.
Him and Lopez or Ferrer could have a whole other career in the doubles circuit.

Last edited:
The Davis Cup is one tournament I’ve rarely followed/know much about. I like the idea of a tournament where players of the same country play on the same team.

Aussie Open is on! So far no huge upsets as far as i've seen. The time difference kinda throws me off this tournament usually, i can rarely see anything live :(

Nadal 2 sets down to Thiem so far.

Djok beats Fed to get to the final.

Not a big surprise. I expected it, not only because how Novak is playing, but also Roger played more than usual in this tournament. He had to play a couple of 5 set matches and he's 38, let's face it. That wasnt going to be the competitive match we would see maybe in Wimbledon.

I'm really rooting for Thiem against Zverev. I just think he's been so close to a grandslam that he's ready for the taking. He could challenge Novak a lot more than Zverev would imo.

Not a big surprise. I expected it, not only because how Novak is playing, but also Roger played more than usual in this tournament. He had to play a couple of 5 set matches and he's 38, let's face it. That wasnt going to be the competitive match we would see maybe in Wimbledon.

I'm really rooting for Thiem against Zverev. I just think he's been so close to a grandslam that he's ready for the taking. He could challenge Novak a lot more than Zverev would imo.
Yeah, Fed is certainly getting on now. Hard to believe he is still competing at the top level so many years later.

I can definitely see Thiem picking up his first slam in the near future.

And Thiem wins! I'm so excited for him. I hope he can keep it going and win on sunday. He's sure been close to wining a slam before. Let's see if this is his chance. He's won his last encounters with Novak, so we know he has the tennis to do it. It should be a great match for sure.

And Thiem wins! I'm so excited for him. I hope he can keep it going and win on sunday. He's sure been close to wining a slam before. Let's see if this is his chance. He's won his last encounters with Novak, so we know he has the tennis to do it. It should be a great match for sure.
I’m totally rooting for him!

Djok wins again.

BORG-MCENROE

The iconic Borg-McEnroe rivalry in tennis is arguably better than the Sampras-Agassi or Federer-Nadal rivalry, because it was a classic model of ice-and-fire that offered us arguably the greatest Grand Slam championship ever, the 5-set tiebreak 1980 Wimbledon final. Borg somehow managed to stay ice cool and win, but McEnroe proved to be his greatest challenger! I felt a need to talk about this 'trophy' in men's tennis.

I've also included a video of a cool tennis match between the two 'golden era' rivals in Stockholm in that same year (1980).

{mock dialogue}
====

BORG: I won the title!
MCENROE: I produced all the drama!
BORG: He who wins Wimbledon is king.
MCENROE: I provided the real media fireworks.
BORG: Tennis is about results.
MCENROE: It's also about fanfare, man.
BORG: Without triumph, there's less glamour.
MCENROE: Without fireworks p, there's less interest!
BORG: Well, we certainly provided the greatest championship.
MCENROE: We're true history!

====

Sharapova has retired at 32.

Yeah, I think she's not getting the Serena level attention she used to. I know she's saying she's doing it for herself, but.....come on.

The next few months are going to be rough with no French Open and Wimbledon. Have they made any decision about U.S. Open yet?

Technically tennis is one of the few games that could probably be played if there are no crowds and very few people handling the balls.

Technically tennis is one of the few games that could probably be played if there are no crowds and very few people handling the balls.
True, yes. The players aren’t close to each other and there are only 2 of them in singles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"