The SHH Member's Spoilery Thor: Ragnarok Review Thread (**WARNING: SPOILERS**)

I believe those were only the people who were fleeing Asgard that Heimdall manage to rescue and lead underground, not the entire population.

Yes, it quite obviously is as Hela has a few in the city rounded up to get information on where Heimdall is, which is direct confirmation on that he only has some of the people with him. The only people on the bridge are the ones he leads there.

Hela had around 20 people she was questioning. I figure the people with Heimdal were all that had managed to get away. Hela had slaughtered the soldiers, I'm sure many of the populace had also attacked her and were slaughtered also. When Hela's soldiers attacked the civilians on the bridge.....men and women pulled swords from their robes and attacked. I believe most of the population had attacked her and died. Some didn't escape the city.

Yeh i also find it strange how many people thought that every single asgardian civilian was saved. That's just not the case and i am pretty sure it wasn't implied that everyone on Asgard was saved either. Heimdall was able to gather as much people as he could not every single one of them.

"This job.... we try to save as many people as we can. But sometimes, that does not mean everybody." - Heimdall. :p

I thought the smiley was a give away mate. :) I juz imagined him saying Cap's lines as it seems to fit this discussion.

I didn't have trouble with Thor's reaction (or lack there of) to the warriors three deaths....because he had absolutely no idea they were dead. He was off planet from Asgarde for most of the film....he didn't see them die or have time to talk to anyone who knew they had died when he came back to Asgarde because he was fighting for his life.

And that's why it works (somewhat) in the movie and probably gave them good numbers during test screenings; the movie's breakneck pace gives them an excuse for almost every decision. However, we are still left with named characters dying (almost entirely off-screen considering how quick it is) without any resolution or recognition of how well loved they are (or if we want to break their disposability, what about Volstaag's family?...I seem to recall in TDW it was established that he had a wife and children). That definitely hurts any rewatch and I can see most people's scores dropping on multiple viewings because of it.

See, while I agree and get the issues with how the Warriors Three were handled, at the end of the day, I dont think majority of the audience cares about them and with or without it, this movie has amazing rewatchability simply because of what a jolly good time it was seeing it play out in a big screen. So ultimately, it does not matter to me is what I am trying to say, I guess. :)

People who don't recognize the Warriors Three will not be the majority of those paying to rewatch this movie multiple times though.

People who don't recognize the Warriors Three will not be the majority of those paying to rewatch this movie multiple times though.

I dont really think so. I only know Thor from the MCU and I have already seen it 3 times. And so has the missus. And a number of our friends. You underestimate the wider reach of the MCU and the movie just being a really fun one to rewatch.

Well I watched the film again over the weekend and my opinion of it has improved even more so. I actually think this film is awesome. Yes I still have some nitpicks and things I would have liked to have seen done differently but so much of this movie was unexpected that this really was a breath of fresh air. A very unique film and very well done. The story, the acting, the visuals and the creative choices pretty much all worked for me. My biggest takeaway is that this movie truly did elevate the Thor character. He has the best arc in this story line of all three Thor films - even more so than his debut film with Branagh. This is his movie and he shines in it.

Two other things stood out to me on my second viewing: 1) The comedy didn't seem as prominent and I was able to appreciate the more serious moments and character development and 2) After adjusting my expectations and "going with the flow" the tweaks to Thor's personality didn't seem as jarring and actually seemed consistent with how I view him. I was able to pay attention to the dialog more and felt he wasn't quipping so much as offering a slightly more relatable twist on his regal but cocky, devil-may-care confidence. He's still a bit of a meathead at times but not a total dunce. He doesn't always think things through but has his appropriately clever moments. His nobility, his heroism, his bravery, his sense of right and wrong all remain.

The added "Midgardian" influence is clearly there but that type of growth makes sense - and moments like "Point Break - Damn you Stark" helped sell the idea to me. But in the end the core of who Thor is remains the same. One of my absolute favorite lines was at the beginning when Thor says to Surtur "I make grave mistakes all the time, things always seem to work out." I mean shoot - that's Thor to a T.

Ragnarok is so different from the other films in the Marvel canon that I'm still having a hard time ranking it, but I'm definitely putting it in my top 5 and probably top 3 along with the first Avengers and Winter Soldier. This film is a winner for sure.

This. In relation to the people inside the spaceship.

"Why does an advance civilization dress like peasants?" What a nitpick. Seriously? Because of the same reason they still use spears, swords, shields, horses... They are "advanced" in other areas but not everything needs to be lasers, spaceships, weird costumes... like Sakaar.

And i watched the movie twice and didn't hear anything about Thor's strength being tied to the planet. Maybe i missed it.

There are definitely some flaws like in every movie. Nothing is perfect really. And if one starts to delve to much into the details of this movies then most things wouldn't make sense.

Yes, and I assumed that as well. 90%+ of your population dies and no emotion. I was entertained but feel kind of dirty admitting it.

At the end, Thor should have said that there’s room at Daryl’s.

Couple of things I am finding nitpicky about the reviews I have read:

Questioning how quickly the Loki as Odin plot was solved is one of them. It is right at the beginning of the movie. Surtur tells Thor that Odin is no longer on the throne, and Thor gives him a look. So when he gets back to Asgard he already knows something is amiss. The play about Loki and the statue to Loki just solidified his suspicions.

The other thing I find nitpicky is questioning why Thor let Surtur destroy Asgard. The only way to stop Hela was to destroy it. Also, Thor allowed Surtur to destroy it the Thor: Disassembled arc, so there is a precedent for it. They obviously lifted that for the film.

Finally got around to seeing this last weekend, and it was . . . cute, I guess. I liked it, it was fun, but the movie felt rather hollow to me. Perhaps it was because of all the positive word of mouth, it set my expectations a little higher than it should've been? I don't know.

First off, its funny, so at least the humor worked. However, I felt in an effort to be super fun and humorous they elected to rob Thor Ragnarok of the full potential weight of some of what should've been the more dramatic parts of the movie. There are some powerful things on a conceptual level that are here, but I don't think they materialize on screen as beautifully as it could've been. Maybe if the Thor series always was like GOTG, I may not be as distracted by it, but the humor really masks over how little they wanted to focus on the weightier aspects of the story, which honestly could've made this feel like Winter Solider if they weren't so scared to go a little more serious at times.

To its credit though, it is the one Thor film where I don't feel like it's a chore to sit though a portion of the movie. I just can't in good conscience say that this movie is necessarily better than the first Thor. At least that movie nailed the emotional aspects like with Loki's relationship with Odin and Thor, whereas this movie does not give the same gravitas to what could've been powerful, powerful scenes.

Saw it for a 2nd time yesterday, and the rating remains the same (8.5). I was actually expecting my enjoyment to drop slightly, but the few parts I disliked weren't so bad the second time around (the Thor-Hulk tantrum scene didn't bother me as much, and the Warriors Three disposability was frustrating but expected). I only noticed a couple of important things I missed the first time around: Loki saying "Now you know how it feels to have been lied to" in the cell scene, since Thor has just learned about having a sister, which was a great progression in their relationship as siblings; Hela saying "Why Odin stopped at 9 realms I'll never know" which is...completely nonsensical -- it now appears to me a lot of her exposition about Asgard is just dishonest lies and half-truths to try and justify her own ambition and bloodlust, so Odin may be nowhere near as tyrannical in his early years as she suggests; I watched closely for it and this time I noticed that Miek (sp?) was introduced decently well before the final joke, since the first time I watched the movie I was admittedly completely baffled as to who the blob thing was under Korg's arm at the end.

I also observed the audience closely for what jokes worked and what didn't (it was a full theater just like my opening weekend screening). A lot of humour near the start didn't land, including Thor having to wait for the hammer (not my fave either), and there were only a few laughs for the dragon ichor and sliding head (which I personally found to be an extremely funny scene). I think the two biggest laughs were Hulk's sulking after being called the "stupidest Avenger", and the Banner faceplant into the bridge. People also laughed strongly at the ball bouncing back and hitting Thor in the head, and Loki's reaction to Hulk ragdolling Thor. There were quite a few laughs at the end when the entirety of Asgard exploded after Korg said that "the foundations were strong", which surprised me. However, no one laughed at Korg's line immediately afterward about "Oh, now there's nothing left", which makes me think this character reaction was a missed opportunity to use comedy to great dramatic effect. I wonder what might have happened if even Korg expressed sadness, and then the movie showed the same images of the faces of general Asgardians mourning. It could have added some real drama and weight to the ending I believe.

As I said in my initial review, Thor Ragnarok is a movie that is simply well made. It has areas where I think it could improve, yes, but overall it's just a well put together film. The story works, the third act works, the characters and their motivations work, and the visuals and music work. That is why it is so enjoyable and a real pleasure to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"