Far From Home The Uncle Ben Problem

I know you quoted my post but did you read it?

Have you not seen a film, cartoon or comic that shows uncle ben?

I love that this is the response always thrown when people disagree.

I've watched every adaptation and this version has a lot of internal problems, hence why this topic is so hot.

It will be the same for the new batman film. We don't need to see bruce's partents killed again or him finding the bat cave. We know what motivates him and created him. Just get on with the story. We as an audience can fill in the blanks ourselves.

It will be the same for the new batman film. We don't need to see bruce's partents killed again or him finding the bat cave. We know what motivates him and created him. Just get on with the story. We as an audience can fill in the blanks ourselves.

We need to go through that for every new Batman actor. It's only in the sequel that he can ever have any new story. :o

We need to go through that for every new Batman actor. It's only in the sequel that he can ever have any new story. :o

I don't even want a heart to heart with alfred talking about his parents. Just get on with his battle with the bad guys.

Don't get the insecurity of people. I need to see this or that or i can't enjoy the film? Just enjoy the film or don't, on it's own merits. Especially for minor characters. You would be wasting screentime that could be better used.

Last edited:
The constant use of the same strawman argument to tell people why Uncle Ben isn't in any way important makes me laugh every single time. I've explained my reasons why Ben's absence or lack of presence so far is a bad thing in a precise and understandable manner (as have other people on here), yet it's like some of you guys don't even care to hear the opposide side because you're that biased to how much you love MCU Spidey.

For the love of god, the continued level of complete misunderstanding still astonishes me. :whatever:

People who want Uncle Ben to be acknowledged in some way (more direct than the previous vague mentions) don't want to see the origin again. Just at least one clear mention of the person who's shaped Peter's philosophy and is a big part of the Spider-Man mythos. No more, no less.

Oh people understand, they just realise its a terrible idea. You want a clear mention but completely unfollowed reference to someone whose not been mentioned or spoken about in this incarnation of Spiderman. Thats ridiculous and exactly the reason why they haven't done it. They gave a small easter egg to appease those who can't seem to let it go, thats enough.

The constant use of the same strawman argument to tell people why Uncle Ben isn't in any way important makes me laugh every single time. I've explained my reasons why Ben's absence or lack of presence so far is a bad thing in a precise and understandable manner (as have other people on here), yet it's like some of you guys don't even care to hear the opposide side because you're that biased to how much you love MCU Spidey.

Well if you've explained it, then you must be correct. :funny:

Spider-man fanboys I swear, the sense of self-entitlement is through the roof. Get over it, people don't want Uncle Ben, Tony took that role. Its done, thats the direction MCU is going. Its different. It works, people love it.

I'd advise you not to speak for everyone who's seen these movies because they might not hold the same opinion as you, but whatever.

Oh people understand, they just realise its a terrible idea. You want a clear mention but completely unfollowed reference to someone whose not been mentioned or spoken about in this incarnation of Spiderman. Thats ridiculous and exactly the reason why they haven't done it. They gave a small easter egg to appease those who can't seem to let it go, thats enough.

This is true.

If they start to include Uncle Ben and his importance, this will feel pretty disconnected with the previously seen.

That's probably why an origin, even if it feels repetitive, is necessary to include Uncle Ben's importance (especially since his importance isn't just his death).

Last edited:

Which is why it might be best to not continue the discussion. I think at this point we're dealing with two types of characters:

1. People too insecure to understand someone can love MCU Spidey in spite of its flaws. They think drawing attention to its flaws takes away from all the good.

2. People who enjoy a sense of power and superiority over you. Hence the laughing emojis and subtle ad hominem attacks to your intelligence. Like the idea you didn't pick up on the fact Uncle Ben existed in the MCU. Or the holier-than-thou attitude that you're a fanboy and they're 'rational'.

I love having discussions here. No point in having discussions with people arguing in bad faith, though. Best to walk away.

So are they just totally going to ignore him in this version of Spider-Man or what?

Actually in the novel of Spider-Man Homecoming, Peter scene with Ned discovering he’s Spider-Man, he mentions Uncle Ben’s passing as a reason not to burden Aunt May with his secret.

Also in Far From Home, his suitcase is Ben Parker so I think their will be nods, but I don’t think they need to make a reference to Ben, because we’ve had it in the Raimi trilogy and we got it in the first reboot under Webb.

He's been vaguely (but obviously for anyone with knowledge of the mythos) alluded to in both Civil War and Homecoming, and Peter's carrying his old suitcase in Far From Home, so he clearly existed in the MCU, but I doubt he'll be gone into with any depth.

Something to remember is that "anyone with knowledge of the mythos" basically accounts for the majority of the planet Earth these days. Explaining to the audience who Uncle Ben is and what happened to him is only slightly more necessary than showing why Bruce Wayne doesn't seem to have any parents. Which doesn't mean you *can't* do it, just that the reason should be slightly more involved than "So the audience understands the character's motivation and backstory".

Far From Home director Jon Watts on Uncle Ben's omission in the film.

"I didn't feel like I needed to in this movie, because we already have a lot to deal with with the loss of Tony," Watts said, having previously passed on the moment in Homecoming, as well. "We have Uncle Ben's suitcase though. 'BFP.' So Peter's literally carrying the baggage of whatever happened to Uncle Ben with him everywhere he goes."

"I didn't feel like I needed to in this movie, because we already have a lot to deal with with the loss of Tony," Watts said, having previously passed on the moment in Homecoming, as well. "We have Uncle Ben's suitcase though. 'BFP.' So Peter's literally carrying the baggage of whatever happened to Uncle Ben with him everywhere he goes."
Good answer. The suitcase shows he existed in this universe, it's just that Peter has dealt with it before we met him.

Tom has no idea what he just did. Comparing Tony to Saint Uncle Ben is unforgivable. :funny:
At this point I'm sure Tom and Watts know how much some of the fans want an Uncle Ben acknowledgement, but it seems like they don't care. I get why Watts don't want to from his answer.

Can I ask you guys who’d you want to see play MCU Ben? Tim Daly and George Clooney are choices that come to mind. Was thinking about making a thread but I kind of decided it simply isn’t worth making a thread about the casting choices for a deceased character.
I think Ed Burns would be a good choice. He's from Queens and, IMO, has the right wholesome, all-American vibe for the role.

Good answer. The suitcase shows he existed in this universe, it's just that Peter has dealt with it before we met him.
It shows someone with those initials existed, but I think it doesn't give any emotional connection or meaning to it or the character in regards to Peter and May. I think that suitcase could've been bought at thrift store by May a week earlier for all it's emotional connection that I think is likely developed is worth.
Something to remember is that "anyone with knowledge of the mythos" basically accounts for the majority of the planet Earth these days. Explaining to the audience who Uncle Ben is and what happened to him is only slightly more necessary than showing why Bruce Wayne doesn't seem to have any parents. Which doesn't mean you *can't* do it, just that the reason should be slightly more involved than "So the audience understands the character's motivation and backstory".
I think it has emotional meaning to the character's story, origin and character arcs. Why use Spider-Man when they don't want to use anything from Spider-Man's supporting cast, and just put names onto new characters and not use the emotional connection of Peter's backstory?

Tony isn't Ben and why does that mean that dealing with that can't be used to develop the difference in how Peter reacts to the 2 losses? Tony and Peter barely developed a meaningful relationship. That baggage has no meaning to me, because we haven't seen the connection developed to that story or that character. I think it's paying lip service.

It shows someone with those initials existed, but I think it doesn't give any emotional connection or meaning to it or the character in regards to Peter and May. I think that suitcase could've been bought at thrift store by May a week earlier for all it's emotional connection that I think is likely developed is worth.I think it has emotional meaning to the character's story, origin and character arcs. Why use Spider-Man when they don't want to use anything from Spider-Man's supporting cast, and just put names onto new characters and not use the emotional connection of Peter's backstory?Tony isn't Ben and why does that mean that dealing with that can't be used to develop the difference in how Peter reacts to the 2 losses? Tony and Peter barely developed a meaningful relationship. That baggage has no meaning to me, because we haven't seen the connection developed to that story or that character. I think it's paying lip service.

It was a BS answer.

. Why use Spider-Man when they don't want to use anything from Spider-Man's supporting cast, and just put names onto new characters and not use the emotional connection of Peter's backstory?

You can think the Amazing spider-man man movies for that

1.They showed uncle ben's death again
2.Peter getting bit by a spider again
3.Peter befriending harry again and he later becomes his worse enemy again
4.Perter girl friend getting captured by the goblin again

The failure and legacy of those movies lead to MCU wanting in take spider-man in a radially different direction than anything that had come before

kevin feige new vision for the franchise was clear ( new villains and new story-lines)
and if they have to use old characters they either updated them or reinvention them to the point that they might as well be new characters

The first reboot tried to show Uncle ben and the classic story some love but they were rewarded with disappointing box office numbers and fans who attacked them for recycling plots that Sam Raimi had already did way better back in 2002

kevin feige was not going to repeat their mistake

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"