The User Review Thread [SPOILERS IN ABUNDANCE!]

Discussion in 'Transformers' started by Loathus, Jun 30, 2007.

?

Rate the film one-to-ten.

1. 10

2. 9

3. 8

4. 7

5. 6

6. 5

7. 4

8. 3

9. 2

10. 1

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Spider-Bat BATMAN

When I first saw this movie I hated it, but that was only because there were a bunch of jerks sitting next to me opening day that wouldn't shut up, so loud I couldn't hear a thing, and I couldn't move 'cause the theater was packed, and I was missing things and not quite getting some stuff and it was ruined, I had to leave, it was the experience not the movie I hated, it proved what people say about blacks in theaters, they just kept getting louder and louder, everyone was looking at them hard and were all pissed.

I went back to see it again, and I loved it.

I liked what they did with it more than what was done in the original series, the origin and all.

Very well done, some stuff was annoying like the token black characters like the car salesman and the fat guy yelling at his grandma, and Jon Turturro.

Other than that, still a great, fun, Sci-Fi action/adventure epic, hope it will be a trilogy and be sort of the next Starwars.

2. XXTBWCXX Registered

...It seems your main complaint is the, what you say, lack-of Transformer dialogue. I think what was said between all of them was good, and the Sector 7 and Pentagon stuff WAS needed, imo, just for the sake of Frenzy, the All Spark and Megatron.

3. omid17 Registered

im glad we didn't get to see that much screentime and dialouge of the decepticons because those are left for the sequels to cover

4. XXTBWCXX Registered

^^^ Exactly. The writers intended to have little to none dialogue for the Decepticons to make them mysterious for the first movie.

5. jnmx2000 Registered

i think the writers and their intention SUCK. this film is about as shallow as movies come and the key players are the ones that are voided of screen time. the pentagon was a waste of time, Frenzy was a waste of time, lamest transformer in the film, the only lame transformer in the film. You could cut out everything with the pentagon and the hackers and you wouldn't miss a thing, that's money wasted that could have gone towards more sreen time for the bots. the parts of the film that work that should have been expanded upon was the military in the middle east, and sam. now what the hackers and pentagon should have been replaced with was decepticon screen time and they should have not been mysterious, I don't want to see a transformers movie where they are being "mysterious" so you DON'T see them. I'm not going to lie, that pisses me off, and i won't say it was because of the budget because they spent money on things they did not need. hopefully the second film will have much more time for the decepticons. This is all just my own opinion though, so just take it as that.

6. omid17 Registered

of course the movie wasn't perfect, but you got 2 more movies being made, so they cant put everything in TF, but don't worry cuz i know the sequel will be way better than the first one

7. WorthyStevens Green Man

The autobots had a great amount of screentime, enough to justify the movie being called Transformers. People act as if they were only in the movie for a few minutes, good God.

8. omid17 Registered

i know, other 2 TFs movies has to make money to you know lol

9. XXTBWCXX Registered

With such a great movie that Transformers was(imo), I'm surprised people complain over the TFs themselves.

And just because they took out the Pentagon scenes and what not, does NOT mean that will justify more time for Transformer dialogue. And I, myself, enjoyed the intensity of how the Decepticons were attacking like an invasion, and, imo, they did it right with the military and all of it. It all worked with the story.

Also, I wouldn't recommend reading the book cuz the TFs had more time in the movie than in the book.

10. chaseter Esteemed Member

8/10

Pros:
    Awesome action
    Good choreographed fighting
    Funny dialogue to break up intensity
    Purely great character design
    Good plot and good extra acting

Cons:
    The Bush/Air Force One ordeal...not even funny and not needed
    Stereotypical black used car salesman
    Sector 7...John Tuturro was about the dumbest character ever
    Megatron was not nearly the huge threat he should have been
    Allspark making all robots evil...how were Autobots good then?
    A 100 yard cube going down to a 1 foot cube and the Hoover Damn was secretely built around it...I guess no one ever noticed the huge @ss cube just sitting there while they pilled concrete around it.
    Just a few nitpicks

Overall, a must see for any comic or action fan. The movie looks glorious in HD as well. A must own.

11. Marvin Registered

a must own indeed

12. StylishHokie21 Registered

I just watched it on DVD. I thought it would be better after a second viewing. I was wrong.

Pros:
    Some of the action scenes were cool, especially at the beginning.
    Megan Fox...nuff said.
    Effects were great as usual.
    Peter Cullen as Optimus Prime.

Cons:
    Horrible dialogue.
    Not enough Transformers.
    The attempt at humor failed to deliver any laughs.
    The movie was too damn long.
    No character development at all.

I can't believe this is the same guy who made The Rock. 6/10

13. omid17 Registered

i was more embarrassed than happy watching the stupid funny scenes:o

14. StylishHokie21 Registered

Haha! I hear you. :csad:

15. XXTBWCXX Registered

All of your cons, I don't agree with...the dialogue was fine, and the dialogue for the Transformers were great; Megatron's lines were epic, imo ("Is it fear or courage that compells you?" sp?); saying not enough Transformers is stupid, seeing as how Bay wanted to feature more Transformers than the 13, but budget was the big issue for this first installment. I thought the humor was a fine touch, and I'm a Tuturro fan, so anyone who says his performance was awful, then you do not know good comedy for a movie, especially one like this where Bay wanted to have at least some humor for the kids, seeing as how Transformers is a movie for the kids anyways. Saying the movie was too damn long is also stupid (you want more Transformers, but a shorter movie????). And the only chatacter development we needed was from Sam and Mikaela, and I think with the development, it was alright (WAY better than Eddie Brock, Jr. and Flint Marko).

Plus, The Rock was a disaster of a movie.

16. Spider-Jay Registered

Review:

I always watch a movie twice before reviewing it. I watched it once in theatres and just got the spcial edition 2-disc DVD yesterday. Here goes:

After my first viewing in theatres, I was impressed. I walked in with lukewarm expectations because I really was unsure how it would turn out. Afterwards, I left the theatre with smile. The action was good and the Transformers were cool. Simple summer blockbuster. Initially, 7/10

However, after watching it again last night, I must say that I was even more impressed.

First off the Transformers, what can I say. Simply amazing. Bumblebee and Prime in particular were ones I really felt for. They displayed genuine emotion and respect for humans- something I really didn't expect in a movie like this. As much as I loved the battle scenes, I loved the scenes where Optimus and Bumblebee interacted with Sam even more. The scene where Sam runs to Bumblebee when he being taken down by Sector 7 really gave me a feel for how close the bond was between them. Again, I was surprised and scenes like that only added to the movie. The rest of the Autobots themselves were likeable, from the tough Ironhide to the smooth Jazz (whom I felt bad for when he was killed:csad: ).

As for the Decepticons, I can kind of understand why their screentime was somewhat limited, especially Megatron. I believe Paramount was trying to focus more on the relationship between humans and the autobots. And seeing as how this is the first movie in the franchise, I'd call that a very good move. The next movie should offer plenty of villain development. Personally, I also feel Megatron is not dead. Don't ask me why, I just have a feeling. A major character like him would definately not be confined to just one movie.

As for the actors and human characters, there were some good some bad.

First off the bad:

Tyrese Gibson- someone explain to me why he's an actor. I mean, it was fine in Fast and te Furious but the "I'm the badass, tolkien guy with attitude" act is far too old. But since this is a Micahel Bay Film, I'm not surprised he was in it.

The student programmers- needless really. I felt their on screen time was mostly a waste. I understand they fleshed out the story a bit, but on the whole I really didn't give a damn about them.

Sector 7- Wtf? I don't understand why they were portrayed in a more humurous manner as opposed to a more serious manner. Terrible.

Megan Fox- Ok she's hot. What else? Her acting was terrible and Paramount could have done so much better by hiring a girl that looks AND acts well. I mean come one, if I want to stare at her I'll read Maxim. At times, I felt she was even more robotic than the transformers themselves.

Good:

Parents- I liked them, especially the father. Really felt homely.

Shia LaBouef- The real star of the movie. This kid has talent and I can't believe how well he played the unesy role of Sam. Marvelous. I look forward to seeing him in Indy 4.

Finally there's Michael Bay. Didn't do as bad a job as I thought. In fact, I think he did quite well. Although, with Speilberg producing, part of me asks just how much better would this movie have been? Transformers seems like the type of movie Spielberg was born to direct.

On the whole a solid movie and a franchise lot of potential. I just hope Spielberg directs Transformers 2, not that Bay did a bad job. I just believe Speilberg can do so much with the franchise with a more hands on approach. Great nonetheless.

8.5/10

17. Infinity9999x Registered

One thing I'm wondering, how will they make a sequel with Megatron dead? I mean, he's pretty much the Lex Luthur or Transformers. Will they bring him back, or create a new baddie?

18. Golgo-13 The Return of the O.G

Megatron is indestructable.

19. Figs Registered

One thing a lot of people seem to keep forgetting is the scene when Scorponok's tail flips up and stabs the other end of the table its on. Before it does that, the soldiers are looking at the hole in it and one says "It's a self regenerating organic metal. That's all I needed to hear and will assume that unless the damage is fatal like Jazz, they can slowly repair themselves over time.

20. Spider-Jay Registered

Exactly.

Besides, its Megatron, you really think they're going to keep him dead.

Here's hoping to a Decepticon power struggle with Megaton seemingly dead in TF2!:wow:

21. J.Howlett Guest

Just wanted to comment on something someone said about the lack of Decepticons dialogue in this film. It has nothing really to do with making the Decepticons mysterious or saving them for the climax of the picture. The answer is pretty simple...money.

As fun and as great as this film is in terms of the Transformers themselves, we all had to know that having a film filled to the brim with Transformers all over the place would be way too expensive to make....hence the human element we got in this film.

I expect for it to improve in the sequel but too much. I mean, doing this robots photoreal gets expensive and there's just no way around that unless the budget of the sequel is going to be 300 million dollars, which I don't even remotely see happening.

Like this film, the sequel will cut corners to save money. I mean, it's pretty evident the corners were cut just by how the film is edited together or how some of the story points come about. You could've easily got alot of information about the plot from the Decepitcons instead of using government characters. But, government characters are much cheaper than Decepticons in a live action film.

I wish there was a way around this but there really isn't. Again, the sequel will have more robots and probably more screentime but don't expect too much. The human characters will still get the most attention and screentime. We're seeing the Transformers story through them and for a live action film, that makes sense.

22. M.O.Steel Wayne Inc. Tech Support

protecting humans...pfft.

OP was running past a helicopter completely out of control flying past him (the "hang on sam" scene). Yes i know his was in a hurry to get to sam, but you must be a pretty big ass to run past people that are about to die and you could save them, but instead you don't.

23. Kargo Warrior Scientist

But if he didnt save Sam and Megatron got the AllSpark the whole planet would have been in jeopardy...what would you have done in his place?

Sam was already falling and Megatron was right behind him,so it's not like he could've saved the helicopter and Sam with the Allspark both.

24. omid17 Registered

25. SolidSnakeMGS Registered

No, I addressed specific items in the movie that I didn't like. Then the mod deletes it, saying that I haven't seen the movie. When I reply how ridiculous that accusation is and offer for her to quiz me for proof, she then changes her story and says it didn't belong in the DVD review thread despite the fact that I reviewed the movie on DVD. If that was the case, she could have moved the post to the proper thread which I didn't see at all.

She then says its "telling" that I haven't reposted my review when the fact exists that I didn't SAVE my review because I didn't think I would have to. So I didn't have my review anymore.

Now granted, I tried to inject humor into it because I didn't want it to sound totally down and negative, but the review of the actual movie was priority. Even if I was bashing the movie, there is NO rule saying you can't do that. To me, I was simply stating my opinion as I saw fit. They however saw fit to censor me.

And of course other mods gang up on me and I just say screw it and stop arguing because it's pointless. So no longer will I take time and take part in review threads, because if a mod doesn't like your opinion, DELETE!