The Walking Dead "The Walking Dead" General Stuff & Thaaaangs Thread - - Part 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like the cliffhanger neutered the episode and Negan's introduction. Had they not botched up the ending like this, then I think this finale would have been easily one of the best episodes of the entire series. I can't believe Gimple just denied the show an iconic moment.

Like I said, I loved the finale for the most part. I LOVED Negan's introduction (JDM was every bit as awesome as I expected). It's just the final 20 seconds that I have a problem with. Those final 20 seconds are so obvious; it's a manipulative ratings grab and a gimmick from AMC (like the IGN review that Reek posted said). Because of this, I feel like Negan's introduction and the character's death have been cheapened big time.

The show did it ... They botched up the most iconic scene of the comic books. Gimple has obviously been trying to get the show to follow the comics more ... And THIS is the moment he decides to switch it up? If there was one moment you needed to use the comic books as a storyboard, it was freaking THIS moment. And the ball was dropped big time.

EDIT: I don't mind the POV shot. The scene in the comics is the most gruesome, and I highly doubt they'd be able to get away with it for cable television. All the show needed to do was copy the "You. Are. It." panels, and show who Lucille was pointing to when Negan says who's it. Boom. It would have been that easy.

The only way the show could mess this up even more is if the death ends up being Aaron, Abe, or Eugene. The death NEEDS to be someone like Glenn, Maggie, Daryl, or even Michonne ... Someone the audience really, really cares about. No matter what, though, the show reached a point of no return. The death's impact has been significantly lost no matter who it is. If its a B-list character, everyone is going to think, "We had a cliffhanger FOR THIS?" If it's an A-list character, everyone is going to think, "What a crappy sendoff to such a great character." It's a lose-lose situation at the moment, and I can't believe the writers wrote themselves into that corner, especially after what I thought was one of the strongest seasons of the series.

Last edited:
I'm glad I read about the finale now. I wanted to leave it a surprise to see Negan for the first time. But I can't believe they went with the cliffhanger. Makes me not want to watch the finale tonight when I get home. I'll pretty much only be watching for Negan. But no matter what, they'll still get the views for next season's premier to find out who it is.

ok... lets get this clear... the cliffhanger sucks...

but the rest of the episode is fine... Negans 10 minutes are arguably the best 10 minutes of TV in a long long time.

this show really needed to be on HBO a long time ago and have Frank D still attached to it.

but the rest of the episode is fine... Negans 10 minutes are arguably the best 10 minutes of TV in a long long time.
Until the POV.

I can't believe they actually went through with this. We're going to find out by the time they start filming. What a damn letdown.

i really didn't mind the ending just because I kinda saw it coming. Every tv show people watch the season finale usually ends on cliffhangers. The bad thing about it was u usually get to see who's in petal or dead or shot it was a mistake because the ending is getting a huge backlash.

All I think about when watching the show is how much cooler it would be if they had a season in the city.

I didn't mind the cliffhanger, but I can totally understand why people would be pissed by it.

I think it's Eugene.

I just don't know how one can justify this creative decision. Gimple's sucked.

This is like the GOT of cable tv when it comes to half assery on their adaptations. Except at least GOT has the sense to get memorable character deaths right.

This could have topped The Red Wedding in a moment everybody is talking about. And they somehow managed to **** it up. The absolute gall of making such a stupid decision like this. Taking a perfect moment from the comic and... I keep repeating myself.

Any chance that the opening scene of next season will be the final 20 seconds of last night, only shot properly? A time jump would be embarrassing. So would the first scenario as well, but at least it would go some way to making amends.

I didn't mind the cliffhanger, but I can totally understand why people would be pissed by it.

I think it's Eugene.
I was thinking this too, because he really grew a lot this season. It's like they really make you love them right before they die. :(

Any chance that the opening scene of next season will be the final 20 seconds of last night, only shot properly? A time jump would be embarrassing. So would the first scenario as well, but at least it would go some way to making amends.

I would hope they replay this whole scene and actually show it... but the impact is still lessened given the format of television. THIS moments was the moment to do it. Either way, they're ****ed. This was a bad idea and one bad idea undoes many other ones.

If I've learned anything from this show, the impact of this character's death will just be them sitting around in rooms and trading ethical dialogue and not being sure how they'll "continue on." It'll just move slower. After 6B finally ****ing got some balls where they were proactive for once.

Gimple's Lost comparison is also bad. With Lost, the characters and the audience knew about the hatch and its build up for the whole season and its mystery. In this case, the characters didn't know but we did. Different expectations. And there's a difference between a mysterious inanimate object and an actual beloved character dying.

It's like were they trying to be smart by subverting expectations by not showing it? Did they think by showing what we were expecting would lessen the impact? Because if so and that was the creative drive for this decision, they really don't ****ing get it.

I think we'll get a bunch of scenes set a bit later in the future, where characters are coming to grips with their current situation. Then one of them will go to that spot in Alexandria where they bury their dead, and we'll get a flashback to the final scene, but only the reaction shots. Then we'll be back at the grave site, and find out that so and so died. I bet you that happens.

Truth. Negan was perfect. One of the best villains we've seen on tv or film probably in a while and that's just from 10 mins. JDM nailed it.

I think Negan is the safest character on the show, he owns the screen he isn't going anywhere for a while

How long is he in the comics? Comparatively?

Liike, how long do you think that it would roughly translate to the screen? Judging by The Governors lifespan, etc.

How long is he in the comics? Comparatively?

Liike, how long do you think that it would roughly translate to the screen? Judging by The Governors lifespan, etc.

Well in the comics

he was the main villain for one big arc, then Rick imprisons Negan in Alexandria. A new villain pops up this woman called Alpha and her group the whisperers. But Negan is still around as Rick's prisoner in a cell. And in the last issue recently, Negan was let out of the cell by this kid and now he's back on the loose and free.

I'm agog at how the show totally wimped out on that ending. I mean, I really didn't want it to be Daryl, but if they're going to do it then do it. Don't make it a question of who died. Or even worse, if they were to do a time jump to after the death which takes as much away from Negan's brutality as cutting away during the end did. To end it like that? Ugh. Why was that an hour and a half?

i really didn't mind the ending just because I kinda saw it coming. Every tv show people watch the season finale usually ends on cliffhangers. The bad thing about it was u usually get to see who's in petal or dead or shot it was a mistake because the ending is getting a huge backlash.

Good cliffhanger: "He just killed ______ and where the f*** do we go from here?"

Bad cliffhanger: "He just killed-- WHO THE F*** DID HE JUST KILL???"

This was a bad decision. Period. It cheapens the whole thing enormously and sets the death up to be spoiled months before the show even airs it's next episode. I've liked more of Gimple's tenure than I've disliked (s***, this episode itself could be one of my favorites if not for that ending), but I honestly have no idea how he thought this was a good way to go.

Yeah Gimple gave the dumbest reasoning for it last night.

It's funny, before those spoilers came out about the finale ending on a cliffhanger, I thought to myself that they'll probably show two seconds of Negan and leave the death for next season. We got 11 minutes of Negan but they still pulled that cliffhanger BS. This show is getting predictable.

It's funny, before those spoilers came out about the finale ending on a cliffhanger, I thought to myself that they'll probably show two seconds of Negan and leave the death for next season. We got 11 minutes of Negan but they still pulled that cliffhanger BS. This show is getting predictable.

So then it isn't that predictable. :o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"