The Walking Dead "The Walking Dead" General Stuff & Thaaaangs Thread - - - Part 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love this show but judging from that trailer season 8 kinda looks like more of the same.

Same here. I got tired of Negan by the first few episodes, and now whenever he is on screen, I just roll my eyes. I find him annoying, not menacing whatsoever. Maybe it's just me, but I find villains that are the more silent type to be more of a threatening presence, than the ones who are flamboyant showboaters.

Wasn't impressed. The trailer didn't do anything for me. It just looks more of the same. I prefer FTWD Season 3b trailer over this trailer. They should've condensed Season 7 into 7a and All Out War into 7b. I just know they are going to drag this war out.

[BLACKOUT]Also the end of the trailer gave away that Rick will survive the war.[/BLACKOUT]

Rick was never going to be killed off anyway. Also, the fact they're showing it makes me think that the war may end sooner than we think.

I didn't even watch last season because my interest has just totally vanished, and the time jump seems like a gimmick.
Gimple loves gimmicks. I wouldn't be surprised if that moment's a dream instead of a time jump.
Like Rick somehow becomes comatose (from a gunshot wound or blood loss) in the middle of Season 8. So Gimple and Nicotero dedicates an episode of Rick dreaming that he's awaken from his coma pre-zombie apocalypse. This wouldn't be the first time the show has dedicated an episode where a character (Daryl, Tyreese, and Sasha all had episodes centered around them hallucinating) are hallucinating or dreaming. Probably Gimple's way of stretching out the war for the whole season.
Rick was never going to be killed off anyway. Also, the fact they're showing it makes me think that the war may end sooner than we think.
If it is a time jump they should've gave us that moment in the episode where it'll actually happen instead of in the trailer. Also them revealing it at the end of the trailer makes it feel more like a gimmick, imo. And I doubt the war will be over by the middle of the season. If it was a 10 episode season then sure, but it's another 16 episode season. Gimple and co. are going to feel the need to milk this volume/storyline dry like they've done previous seasons (particularly Season 6 and 7).

It's not a dream. Why would they have a 15 or 20 second build up to an inconsequential dream sequence? Why would it be included in the trailer at all? Come on, does that make any logical sense?

As for the end of the war, keep in mind it was originally set up as early as season 5. We had an entire season after that of everyone just dicking around, I think eight episodes is more than enough time to have it all play out. As for the latter half of the season, it would move directly to the time jump.

Why was it included in the trailer? To have fans speculating about what that meant revealing an older bearded Rick waking up and having a cane b/c nothing really notable happened in the trailer but more of what we've already seen from previous seasons, imo.

Also why would they reveal a time jump in the trailer? When normally the cast & crew films up to 6 episodes before unveiling the trailer for SDCC. If they were ending the war midseason, which is by epsiode 8, then the time jump would be at either the end of episode 8 or at the beginning of the mid season premiere, which would be episode 9. They haven't filmed that far yet. There isn't any proof that that moment isn't a dream or not. I just believe that moment is misleading people into thinking it's a time jump and him waking up from his coma pre zombie apocalypse. Btw, fans have pointed out that the trailer reveals a half naked Rick being imprisoned (either by Negan or Jadis). I wouldn't be surprised during that moment (or particular episode) Rick becomes dehydrated and starts hallucinating and dreaming about waking up from his pre zombie apocalypse coma. This show has had separate episodes where characters began hallucinating and dreaming due to injuries, blood loss, etc. So it wouldn't surprise me if what I'm speculating is true. Plus it'll stretch the storyline out having an episode of Rick dreaming.

This show is guilty for stretching out storylines longer than it needs to be. So I believe the war will end by the 16th episode. I hope Gimple and co. can prove me wrong. The last thing I want is for them to drag this war out, but they'll most likely stretch it to fill those 16 episodes.

Is it just me, or does Old Rick look a lot like Viggo Mortensen?

Why was it included in the trailer? To have fans speculating about what that meant revealing an older bearded Rick waking up and having a cane b/c nothing really notable happened in the trailer but more of what we've already seen from previous seasons, imo.

Also why would they reveal a time jump in the trailer? When normally the cast & crew films up to 6 episodes before unveiling the trailer for SDCC. If they were ending the war midseason, which is by epsiode 8, then the time jump would be at either the end of episode 8 or at the beginning of the mid season premiere, which would be episode 9. They haven't filmed that far yet. There isn't any proof that that moment isn't a dream or not. I just believe that moment is misleading people into thinking it's a time jump and him waking up from his coma pre zombie apocalypse. Btw, fans have pointed out that the trailer reveals a half naked Rick being imprisoned (either by Negan or Jadis). I wouldn't be surprised during that moment (or particular episode) Rick becomes dehydrated and starts hallucinating and dreaming about waking up from his pre zombie apocalypse coma. This show has had separate episodes where characters began hallucinating and dreaming due to injuries, blood loss, etc. So it wouldn't surprise me if what I'm speculating is true. Plus it'll stretch the storyline out having an episode of Rick dreaming.

No offence, but the idea that Rick could be dreaming is really, really dumb. That was the money shot of the trailer. For it to be a dream would be a hugely misleading. Besides, we know a time jump is going to be coming at some point anyway. And it doesn't matter if they haven't started filming episode nine, they could have still filmed that one clip. Hell, it could even be how the season starts, with Rick reflecting on the war, and what it cost them.

Is it just me, or does Old Rick look a lot like Viggo Mortensen?
I noticed back in Season 2 that both actors shared a resemblance, but he really looks like Viggo with that beard and haircut now. Not to take away from Lincoln's compelling portrayal of Rick but Viggo would have made a great Rick Grimes as well, imo. Especially if you've seen him in The Road, which aside from the absence of zombies shares some similarities with TWD.

No offence, but the idea that Rick could be dreaming is really, really dumb. That was the money shot of the trailer. For it to be a dream would be a hugely misleading. Besides, we know a time jump is going to be coming at some point anyway. And it doesn't matter if they haven't started filming episode nine, they could have still filmed that one clip. Hell, it could even be how the season starts, with Rick reflecting on the war, and what it cost them.

I agree that it would be a terrible idea if that moment is just [BLACKOUT]Rick dreaming that he's awaken from his coma[/BLACKOUT]. I've become very skeptical of the writers after the previous two seasons decline in quality, imo. Gimple and co. seem to relish in misleading and manipulating viewers with cheap fake outs e.g. Glenn under the dumpster, who got Lucille'd cliffhanger, Heath's cheap fake out with the female walker having the exact same dreads as him, Rick fake out with the subpar CGI looking deer at that abandoned fair, Michonne's cheap fake out with one of Jadis' henchwomen during climax of the Season 7 finale. Speaking of Jadis Gimple's also responsible for that one dimensional character and her garbage clan of rejects, who bring very little (if anything) to the story, imo. You could very well be correct about [BLACKOUT]Season 8 opening with a time jump of a bearded Rick waking up and recollecting on the war.[/BLACKOUT]. If that's the case I still [BLACKOUT] rather they waited till after the war ended to do the time jump instead of backwards.[/BLACKOUT]

Meh! Not a fan of the color grading in the photos or the lack of Morgan, Ezekiel, and Jesus' character in any of the images.

Since Infinity War is done filming, hopefully Danai will be able to do more episodes of the season since filming doesn't end til November.

The Walking Dead EP teases season premiere will explain old Rick scene

Entertainment Weekly said:
The season 8 trailer for The Walking Dead bristled with all sorts of resistance-is-rising energy, but the very last moment was truly a conversation starter, if not a shocker: We saw Rick as an older man in bed, rocking a grey beard, with a cane nearby.

This indicated that the upcoming season will mirror a time jump that occurs in The Walking Dead comic book. Speaking with reporters after an AMC panel at the Television Critics Association summer press tour on Saturday, The Walking Dead executive producer Robert Kirkman revealed that old man Rick will be addressed in the very first episode back.

Asked about the time jump, Kirkman first teased: “Or was it the time jump? I don’t know, maybe it was Rick waking up from his coma. Wouldn’t that be weird?” He hinted that the timing of this reveal should throw The Walking Dead comic book fans for a loop: “That is an intriguing tidbit that we did throw out there on purpose, and we’re hoping that people continue to question how it is that fits into the story line and what it is,” he said. “Comic book fans know where a scene that kind of looked like that would fall, but it also doesn’t seem like we would be getting to that just yet if you were a comic book fan, so there’s a mystery to that.”

As for whether audiences will learn more this season about what the Rick image means, Kirkman replied, “I’m pretty sure you’ll learn in the first episode what that means.”

The upcoming batch of episodes will show viewers what happened now that Alexandria, the Hilltop, and the Kingdom have joined forces to take down Negan and the Saviors, and an epic battle is on the horizon. “We all know it’s the All Out War storyline, so season 8 we’re trying to do a more fast-paced season, a more action-packed season, really focusing on momentum and we feel like, over the first seven seasons, we’ve set all the characters into place. Now it’s time to break them, to a certain extent,” Kirkman teased

How will this season keep the show fresh as it enters season 8? “We’ve got all these different factions, all these different locations, we’ve got the Hilltop, we’ve got the Sanctuary, and I think [we’re] getting all these people together and continuing to expand the scale in a cool way, but really using all these pieces to their fullest,” he said. “We’ve spent a lot of time setting these characters up, and now we’re going to bash them against each other and see what happens. One of the things that really keeps The Walking Dead going is that every season feels like a different show. As we start to show more promotional material, and as you guys get to see episodes, you’ll see this is another continuation of that, this is a very fresh take on the world of The Walking Dead, and we’re going to be breaking a lot of new ground this season.”

I guess this means the season 8 premiere will flash forward after the war with an older Rick. The rest of the episode and season (hopeful half season) will be his flashback to All Out War. I hope they find a balance between the action and the drama, b/c I don't want this season to be just nonstop action. In fact, I hope they don't drag AOW for the whole season, but I know they will. They won't be able to maintain the momentum for 16 episodes. Just like they couldn't for Season 6 when they stretched out that quarry walker herd invasion of the ASZ story arc for 9 episodes. That plotpoint started wearing thin by the end of the third episode.

The Walking Dead EP teases season premiere will explain old Rick scene

I guess this means the season 8 premiere will flash forward after the war with an older Rick. The rest of the episode and season (hopeful half season) will be his flashback to All Out War. I hope they find a balance between the action and the drama, b/c I don't want this season to be just nonstop action. In fact, I hope they don't drag AOW for the whole season, but I know they will. They won't be able to maintain the momentum for 16 episodes. Just like they couldn't for Season 6 when they stretched out that quarry walker herd invasion of the ASZ story arc for 9 episodes. That plotpoint started wearing thin by the end of the third episode.

Same here.

The Walking Dead showrunner says season 8 is 'massively heavy on the action'

If you like big epic battle scenes, then you have a lot to look forward to when season 8 of The Walking Dead premieres on Oct 22.

If the fact that we are headed into the All Out War arc from the comics was not a sign of what’s to come, showrunner Scott M. Gimple assures EW that the intensity will come early and come often in season 8. “It’s massively heavy on the action,” says Gimple of the Rick vs. Negan face-off. “I really wanted to push into different ways than we’ve done things in a long time, just by virtue of we’re a show going into its eighth year and I really don’t want to do what we’ve done before, even if we’ve done it really well. If we’re super satisfied with it, that’s why we shouldn’t do the same thing. And because of that and really mostly because of the narrative itself, I had us embrace a really action-heavy story for several episodes in a row.”

You read right. Gimple promises that it will not just be an action-packed premiere that then settles back into quieter, more introspective material. He says that the first four episodes are all bursting at the seams. “And even what I would call the quieter episode, which is episode 5, even looking at that, it still doesn’t feel chill and introspective,” says Gimple.

The heavy emphasis on high-octane output will help give season 8 is own distinct feel, while also raising the stakes on a weekly basis. “We’re pushing ourselves to structure the stories in different ways, or at least, different ways than we’ve done in a long time,” hints the showrunner. “It’s action on action on action.”

So prepare yourself for a non-stop scrum that could at times carry the energy of what feels like a football game, but with much bigger stakes. Says Gimple: “It’s like Hamlet, but with shoulder pads.”

My problem with Season 7 wasn't the lack of nonstop action, but with the pacing, the excessive stretching out of storylines to fit 16 episodes instead of just ten, the lack of really strong character development, pretentious filmmaking and writing, contrived moments, gimmicks and cheap fake outs, certain characters devolving, shallow and pointless characters (Jadis and co.) adding very little to the story, Rick's becoming less relevant (even though he's the main character) as well lacking a strong character arc lately, etc. After that lackluster subpar battle at the ASZ during the Season 7 finale between the five communities I'm not expecting any top notch action scenes or set pieces this season. Sorry Gimple not falling for the hype. I'm still planning on watching Season 8 just with low expectations.

T5NsuAa.jpg

The Walking Dead: 100 Episodes - Thank You to the Fans!
[YT]ciI1WvmmQGo[/YT]

100 episodes used to be 4 seasons on a network series.

Most cable shows today will never reach it (since many are 10-13 eps a season and most don't last beyond 5/6 at most).

The Walking Dead official cookbook: Make Carol's cookies

Are you having walker withdrawal? And… are you hungry? Ease your mind and belly with The Walking Dead: The Official Cookbook and Survival Guide — the perfect prelude to Season 8 of the AMC hit, and a surefire way to help you cater the ultimate premiere party.

If you’ve ever salivated at the thought of Daryl Dixon’s Deer Stew, or Maggie’s Forkless Apple Pies, now you can make them at home, while learning “skills and recipes anyone would need to survive (while trying to avoid being eaten!) during an unexpected walker apocalypse,” according to the press release from publisher Insight Editions.

Written by Lauren Wilson of Brooklyn’s Rose’s Bar and Grill, the book provides not only recipes, but also “vital information on foraging, hunting wild game, and cooking outdoors in an emergency walker situation.”

EW can exclusively share a first look at the cover below, along with the recipe for Carol’s Beet and Acorn Cookies below.

The Walking Dead: The Official Cookbook and Survival Guide will be available October 10. Season 8 of The Walking Dead premieres October 22 on AMC.

iQIWpmv.jpg

9wldFlh.jpg

U8l6QTC.gif

Next they'll be releasing TWD coloring and children's books.

Anything to make a buck. :p

8 characters 'The Walking Dead' should have kept alive

Cleveland.com said:
It's not exactly a secret. On "The Walking Dead," people die. But it's not always the right choice.

The series has killed villains, side characters and even some of the most popular figures on the show. Fans can expect even more death with a war brewing for Season 8.

Looking back, there are a few characters we wish were still around. Their deaths played an important role on the series. But maybe they could have been more valuable alive:

Shane Walsh

Yes, Shane dying in the comic book is a huge moment. But it comes way faster than on the TV show. "The Walking Dead" winds up building Shane into one of the most developed characters on the series and one we kind of want to stick around. It might have been more interesting to have Shane leave the group (being banished by Rick) and join a new community. That would give us a "TWD" spinoff people would actually want to watch.

Gareth

Gareth did some very bad things on "The Walking Dead." Though, the backstory of how he and his family got to that place was interesting. "The Walking Dead" could have let Terminus burn to the ground, leaving Gareth's fate up in the air and paving the way for a return.

Beth

I wasn't the biggest fan of Beth. But the lead up of Beth-centric episodes before she died left a sour taste in our mouths. Maybe Beth would have eventually died in the war with the Saviors. But something like that would have been more fulfilling that just having her take a bullet to the head for the sake of shock value.

Tyreese

The way Tyreese's character was going, he pretty much had to die. But that's the show's fault. The character, a popular one in the comic series, was never given his fair shake on the series. He wound up being a softy who was just begging to be a martyr.

The Wolves

The Alpha Wolf had to go. But the show killed off the rest of the group rather unceremoniously when Rick shot them through the RV. It would have been nice to have a group like that out there, wondering when they may strike next.

Eastman

"Here's Not Here," The loan episode of "The Walking Dead" that features Eastman, is arguably the best of the entire series. Morgan's transition was complete before they killed Eastman off. He didn't need to die and could have stuck around for future one-off episodes.

Paula

Paula was an interesting addition to "The Walking Dead." Played by Alicia Witt, she showed promise as a character to could become a major villain and sidekick of Negan. But "TWD" kept her limited to one episode. We'll never know how good she could have been.

Glenn or Abraham

Glenn's death is arguably the most important moment in the comic book. So you could argue he had to die. But the way things played out was frustrating. Negan killed Abraham first, making us think Glenn was safe only to have the rug pulled out from under us. One of those characters dying should have been enough.

Shane Walsh

Yes, Shane dying in the comic book is a huge moment. But it comes way faster than on the TV show. "The Walking Dead" winds up building Shane into one of the most developed characters on the series and one we kind of want to stick around. It might have been more interesting to have Shane leave the group (being banished by Rick) and join a new community. That would give us a "TWD" spinoff people would actually want to watch.

I agree with everything except the bolded part.

Because I know I personally actually want to watch FTWD, especially as it sits in the current season, which has been stronger than at least the last two seasons of TWD.

The Walking Dead: 100 Episodes - Our Favorite Memories From the First 99
[YT]ma-qg-MDjN8[/YT]

Must be crowded around Atlanta with all The Walking Dead and MCU productions

Btw what would you guys say was the peak of the show? For me it had to be season 4, though I think season 3 was pretty damn great, minus most of the Woodbury scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"