"The Walking Dead" General Stuff & Thaaaangs Thread - - - Part 12

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead & Fear The Walking Dead' started by Thread Manager, Apr 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Man in the Suit

Man in the Suit Greeting

Seasons 4 and 5. Very focused with higher highs.

2. squeekness

squeekness The mighty squeek!

The prison season was the weakest for me. :(

3. Elevator Man

Elevator Man Well-Known Member

I've been noticing a decline in quality since the middle of Season 6. The show at the moment still hasn't recovered, imo. I think Season 7 has dethroned Season 3 as my least favorite season. At least Season 3 had some great episodes (3.1-3.4, 3.12 "Clear", 3.15 Merle's redemption episode) in a very stretched out season. Aside from 7.2 "The Well" (introduction of Ezekiel, Shiva, and The Kingdom) and 7.13 "Bury Me Here" (Morgan reverting back into clear mode) Season 7 didn't have any episodes that I would consider near great.

4. carrrnuttt

carrrnuttt Well-Known Member

I can't believe this hasn't been posted here yet: https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/11/16131466/the-walking-dead-robert-kirkman-amazon-prime-deal

Another article about it with more details: http://deadline.com/2017/08/robert-kirkman-overall-deal-amazon-the-walking-dead-1202146941/

5. Slick

Slick Yup

Yeah I think the only other cable show that made it to 100 was Nip/Tuck so I guess that means TWD will of course take its place. Going well past it.

6. Slick

Slick Yup

7. carrrnuttt

I would hope so.

If not, I'm an Amazon Prime subscriber, so it works out for me, either way. :sly:

8. Zero_Effect

Zero_Effect Well-Known Member

9. Man in the Suit

Man in the Suit Greeting

10. Kane52630

Kane52630 Just Some Nut

#FrankWasRight

11. carrrnuttt

12. carrrnuttt

It gives you perspective on the motive behind AMC putting out Frank's emails that made him look bad.

13. Kane52630

Kane52630 Just Some Nut

Yeah it was definitely a smear campaign.

14. Elevator Man

Serves AMC right for being greedy cheapskates. I won't be surprised if Gimple comes at AMC with a lawsuit next or in the near future.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  15. Elevator Man

The Walking Dead: See more Glenn and Abraham in extended dream sequence

I'm glad this unnecessary dream sequence was cutdown. If only the rest of the footage that made the episode was cut as well. I always felt it was too sappy, contrived, and "on the nose". I get it. Glenn will never see or raise his unborn child. And Abe will never start a family with Sasha due to Negan taking both of their (Glenn & Abe's) lives. No need to beat the viewer in the head of what not only Glenn and Abe lost but Rick and co. lost as well. I didn't need a dream sequence to convey to me the obvious. Hopefully there won't be too many (if any) dream sequences for the remainder of this show.

16. Man in the Suit

Man in the Suit Greeting

Bear McCreary's Score Getting Vinyl Release

[​IMG]

17. Elevator Man

Difficult to calculate without the track times, but based off the tracklist it doesn't look like it'll be a 2-CD set for the CD release. Probably a single disc. It seems to feature a couple of highlights from Seasons 1, 2, and 3. As well as features maybe one or two tracks from Season 4. And one track each from Season 6 and 7, but doesn't include any tracks from Season 5. Instead of condensing a certain amount of cues from nearly each prior season they should've released a volume for each season instead. It's better than nothing, I guess.

18. Elevator Man

How Tony Danza ended up on The Walking Dead (and other untold stories)

Why Abraham does not look at Sasha before Negan takes him out

Originally, Abraham was supposed to look over at Sasha before Negan bashed his brains in during the season 7 premiere. That was the plan. But then producers remembered that they had also filmed the scene from Abraham’s point of view in the season 6 finale cliffhanger, and that point of view never turned to the left. “I think I had even scripted it,” says Gimple of Abraham looking at Sasha. “And it couldn’t happen where Abraham actually looks at Sasha, and I realized dammit, we’ve already filmed his perspective. He doesn’t turn. And we were both bummed to lose that.”

But then, it was Michael Cudlitz who had the brilliant idea about a half-hour before filming to have Abe acknowledge Sasha by flashing her the peace sign — a call back to similar moments between the two in episodes 601 and 615. Cudlitz saves the day!

Sasha was pregnant… kinda

I guess Abraham and Sasha were trying to make pancakes after all. At least they were in the dream sequence from the season premiere in which you see a future in which Glenn, Abraham, and Spencer had all survived and were enjoying a feast together in Alexandria. Cudlitz notes during the commentary track that if you look closely you can see Sasha is sporting a baby bump. This was made clearer in a much longer version of the scene that never aired which also appears on the Blu-ray/DVD, and you can watch right here!

Norman Reedus thought he had become a TWD comic character

Daryl Dixon was the first major regular character that was original to the show and did not come from the comic book. But at one point Reedus thought that TWD comic creator Robert Kirkman had decided to add him to the original source material.

The confusion comes over the character of Dwight. First, a little background: In early drafts for The Walking Dead’s first season, the character of Daryl was actually called Dwight. So then, when Kirkman introduced Dwight in the comics in issue 98 — which came out after the show had already started — and gave the character a vest and a crossbow, Reedus naturally thought it was him. “I was so stoked thinking I was in the comic book,” says Reedus on the commentary track. Unfortunately for him, Kirkman then had to break the bad news that it was not him but an entirely new character — a character that would end up plaguing Daryl on the TV version.

‘A’ stands for…

Ever wonder what the giant ‘A’ on Daryl’s Sanctuary sweatshirt stands for? Co-executive producer Angela Kang enlightens us. “It just means a–hole,” says Kang on a commentary. “They’re being juvenile. Like an a–hole and an F and an S for f—face and s—head.” Reedus himself seemed surprised by that revelation. “I thought it meant Aquarius,” he jokes.

By the way, the original plan was for Daryl to be in a factory jumpsuit instead of sweats, but showrunner Gimple thought it bore too close a resemblance to another famous show. “Scott thought it would look too much like Lost,” explains Kang. Apparently, he didn’t want Daryl signing up for the Dharma Initiative just yet.

Where’s Tara?

Tara shows up to the Kingdom with Rick and Co. to recruit Ezekiel in “Rock in the Road,” but if you look closely, you will notice that you never see her face when the group walks into the theater for their first meeting with the king. That’s due to a scheduling snafu where Alanna Masterson had to shoot some scenes at the Oceanside beach for episode 6 at the same time. Well, at least she was there in spirit… I guess.

How long is the entire season 7 timeline?

While it seemed to take Rick a long time to go from a beaten down shell of a man to fighting back with his new army, co-executive producer Denise Huth reveals that the entire timeline of season 7 was only 19 days. That’s it! 19 days! I guess that helps explain why we still have never seen winter on this show.

Casting curiosities

The little boy who plays Benjamin’s younger brother Henry is Macsen Lintz. If that name seems familiar it’s because his sister Madison played Sophia from seasons 1 and 2. But Macsen almost made it onto the show before season 7. Originally, the roles of Lizzie and Mika (from season 4) were imagined as boy characters like in the comic book (where they were named Ben and Billy). Macsen auditioned for one of the brother roles before producers switched the gender.

Macsen is not the only newbie who had auditioned before. Gimple notes that Cooper Andrews (who plays cobbler-loving Jerry) had tried out for a variety of “tough guy roles” before landing his current part. “Jerry was basically made for him,” notes Gimple. “I knew that Ezekiel needed a foil.”

(Almost) choking on your own vomit

The choking sounds you hear as Morgan strangles Richard for causing Benjamin’s death were done by none other than showrunner Gimple, who adds that he almost threw up in the studio from making said choking sounds. The man suffers for his art!

Morgan kills a famous (fictional) president

Lennie James was practicing his stick training at home when he experienced a little mishap. “I was trying something out that I hadn’t been taught that I had seen on YouTube,” he explains on a commentary track. One second, James was swinging his stick around, and the next, it went flying into his TV. James was watching The West Wing at the time and notes that, “Josiah Bartlet got it straight through the head.” Can’t say Eastman would approve of that one.

There are tons more tidbits to be uncovered — as well as featurettes and deleted scenes — when The Walking Dead: The Complete Seventh Season is released Aug. 22 on Blu-ray (plus Digital HD) and DVD.

I wonder if The Walking Dead: The Complete Seventh Season Blu-ray/DVD will also include in the deleted scenes section that car chase that was cut from "The Cell"?

19. Man in the Suit

Man in the Suit Greeting

I'm mad about a deleted scene from the finale with Rick, Carl, and Michonne. It's only maybe 2 minutes long but it would've made Rick and Negan's scenes even better, while also having Rick actually talk to his son. They could've cut Sasha listening to an iPod and the junkyard people to include it. Ugh...

20. Elevator Man

Yeah I heard about that. It doesn't surprise me. We never got to see Rick and co. really grieve for Glenn and Abe, or Tara's reaction to Denise's death, or how Sasha was captured in the sanctuary, when she ran in there guns blazing.

Season 7, in general, really could've used more Rick and Carl scenes. We also should've been given a scene of Rick talking to Carl about his failed assassination attempt on Negan and the consequences of it, which somewhat resulted to the deaths of Spencer and Olivia. Both Season 6 and 7 had a lack of focus on their relationship, imo. Which is ironic b/c the show is supposed to be centered around both characters.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  21. Drizzle

Drizzle I got my cake.

I'm pissed that they didn't add uncensored Negan to the Blu-ray like they said they would.

22. Elevator Man

That's AMC for you.

23. KevTravels

KevTravels Well-Known Member

will season 8 be a return to form? loads of criticism over season 6 and 7. is AMC boosting the budget and hiring quality writers to make this show good again?

24. Drizzle

Drizzle I got my cake.

I liked season 7 for the most part but even I can admit it had plenty of flaws. They need to step up their game this season otherwise they're gonna lose a lot more viewers.

25. Leenie

Leenie Well-Known Member

The series peaked at Season 1, specifically the very first episode ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.