The Walking Dead The Walking Dead Season 3 Episode 10 "Home" Discussion Thread

I figure he was testing/toying with them - trying to get a feel for how prepared they are while sending a message - "I just rolled up here, killed one of your people and left you a bunch of zombies...and I was just having fun."
I agree, he was saying, I can do this to you as many times as it takes. It was a terror strike, if you will.

besides the kickass tattoos, he had big long scars from apparent beatings he got as a kid, looks like from their father.
Thanks, I kinda missed that part as well. :yay:

I agree, he was saying, I can do this to you as many times as it takes. It was a terror strike, if you will.

Yep. He was challenging them to take him on again, and trying to weaken and intimidate them as well.

Why was there a guy in an interior guard tower then? There's no way that guy is getting out alive if its just a hit and run, terror strike. Did the governor tell all of his other rifleman, "hey, we're going to blow through a thousand rounds, just purposely miss but put bullets all around them, and then we'll drive back to Woodbury when the Biter Truck arrives. Oh yeah, and Bob up in the tower isn't coming back." Bob must have been in on it too since he couldn't hit a courtyard full of people from a perch. A suicide sniper

The attack made zero sense. People like it because it was unexpected and brought life to a quiet episode.

Lets go back to the farm shoot out in the season 2 finale. Glenn and Andrea were the ones shooting from the car while T-Dog (who's been dead for a while now)and Maggie were the drivers. Jimmy, who bit the dust shortly after, was shooting from the RV. Hershel was also shooting when the Zombies overran the farm, but was mostly ducking for cover during the Gov. attack. Glenn didn't shoot anybody or fired a gun during last night's episode. And Andrea was at Woodbury while the Gov. attacked the prison. It was mainly a Maggie, Carl, Michonne (which was confirmed on Talking Dead isn't as good with a gun as she is with her katana), Carol (who didn't even use a gun last season), and Rick, who was shooting from the ground and trying not to get himself killed at the same time. I'm saying since some of you claim they were good shooters at the farm that most of the good shooters were either dead or didn't participate in the showdown with Gov. They were caught off guard eventhough they were supposed to be expecting the Gov. to show up.

So Glenn and Andrea are the magic shooters. Even though Andrea was a novice that Shane was training in season two, and Glenn had no shooting experience. Do you realize how impossible it is to hit small, unpredictable moving targets while you yourself are moving in a truck that someone else is driving, on uneven terrain no less? No, the shooting is not realistic on this show.

The fact is, characters are as good a shooter as the scene requires. I'm okay with that, I just want the actual scenes to compute.

The show is about zombies.
I can deal with some unrealistic shooting. Lol

I said as much, but don't try to tell me that the shooting is realistic.

[blackout]ghost Lori[/blackout] = The Black Smoke Monster.......... be careful Rick

I'm going to go and venture a guess that the armored female looking truck driver is Karen.

Why was there a guy in an interior guard tower then? There's no way that guy is getting out alive if its just a hit and run, terror strike. Did the governor tell all of his other rifleman, "hey, we're going to blow through a thousand rounds, just purposely miss but put bullets all around them, and then we'll drive back to Woodbury when the Biter Truck arrives. Oh yeah, and Bob up in the tower isn't coming back." Bob must have been in on it too since he couldn't hit a courtyard full of people from a perch. A suicide sniper

The attack made zero sense. People like it because it was unexpected and brought life to a quiet episode.

So Glenn and Andrea are the magic shooters. Even though Andrea was a novice that Shane was training in season two, and Glenn had no shooting experience. Do you realize how impossible it is to hit small, unpredictable moving targets while you yourself are moving in a truck that someone else is driving, on uneven terrain no less? No, the shooting is not realistic on this show.

The fact is, characters are as good a shooter as the scene requires. I'm okay with that, I just want the actual scenes to compute.

First off I never claimed they were "good shooters". That's why I said "since some of you claim they were good shooters". The point I was making was that it's a smaller group shooting this time compared to the farm. I'm not trying to call women bad shooters or anything but they (Maggie, Michonne, and Carol) were the main ones shooting from Rick's team during the Gov. attack. Carl's little pistol wasn't going to do much against the kind of fire power the Gov. and his thugs were using. And Rick was in a tough spot making it difficult for him to shoot back (though he tried) without getting himself killed. Add the fact that Glenn came in the last minute to save Hershel, who was taking cover through most of the action. This could've been prevented if everyone in Rick's group were prepared like they were suppose to be b/c they (well Glenn and Michonne were anyway) were expecting the Gov. to show up. I believe they would've stood a better chance. I found the shootout believable.

Solid episode. Glad Daryl's back and saved Rick's butt. Anxious to see how the Merle Glen Maggie Michone thing will play out. This put's a nice new spin on the prison sequence.

It is kind of dumb the way one of the gov's people was able to go through the fence and up the guard tower without anyone noticing. I mean you would think Ricks group would be at full alert and have a person in that tower watching 24/7 especially knowing the gov would retaliate after the woodbury breakout.

I mean you would think Ricks group would be at full alert and have a person in that tower watching 24/7 especially knowing the gov would retaliate after the woodbury breakout.

Didn't Glenn ask who was suppose to be on watch?

True, but still kind of dumb nobody would notice. I mean Hershel was out in the courtyard talking to Rick. Carol and Axle were there too and nobody saw someone open the fence and scale the guard tower?

I knew Daryl would come home and save the day....well stop it from being a complete disaster.

True, but still kind of dumb nobody would notice. I mean Hershel was out in the courtyard talking to Rick. Carol and Axle were there too and nobody saw someone open the fence and scale the guard tower?

I'm more curious on why nobody heard the fence being opened

You know, I hate when rape becomes a plot device used to fuel every character except the victim, but Glenn's behavior would be a lot more understandable and tolerable if Maggie had been raped, or at the least she was physically beaten by the Governor.
Just because he didn't do anything physical to her doesn't mean she wasn't emotionally traumatized by what happened. That was the whole point, Glen was being physically tortured for information, while the Governor used that to mentally torture Maggie. Just because they are in hell doesn't mean that they have experienced something like that in the past. She should be distant to him.
Glenn went from being a newly christened badass to a guy that can't handle his emotions. His irrational, murderous behavior would be more digestible if they would just allude to the fact that HE was tortured and nearly eaten by a walker, and he's projecting all of that onto Maggie.
They have alluded to that fact and for what happened Maggie, which is why he's acting this way. He's completely justified for wanting to kill the Governor for what he put both of them through.
Then maybe we could understand where he's coming from and maybe add another dimension to his and Maggie's one note relationship. Of course, now Maggie is the one with major dysfunctional issues, and Glenn is the dumb man that doesn't know how to fix her. When all along Glenn is clearly the one that is scarred!
See above.
It's become apparent to me that Glenn has taken on Shane's traits and Herschel has taken on Dale's. The two guys that left the show with Darabont, yet their spirit has resurfaced in existing characters.
I don't think Glen is taking on Shane's traits, if anything, Rick has taken on some of Shane's. I agree about Herschel.
Axel developing a Joker Dark Knight-style multiple origin story is maybe the most interesting thing going on. We don't know if he's a good guy or a bad guy, its just boiling underneath the surface, now he's got a gun and a fan in Carol. Oh wait, sorry, they killed him for shock value.
I was wanting to see it explored as well.
Daryl and Merle, I like their adventures. I'd like to see a little more camaraderie and mutual triumph instead of Meryl just talking crap. We were led to believe that Meryl had a heart when he told Daryl he had a plan to get them out of Woodbury, and geez he became a much more interesting character. This team up could be a lot more riveting if they'd let Meryl have some brotherly love for Daryl. I'm not saying Meryl had to love the Hispanic people on the bridge, but he could have been excited to go up there just to kill walkers. They've laid some groundwork for a bond bound in an abusive home, unfortunately they're breaking up the team and sending them back into the ensemble.
It definitely would have been cool to see them out on their own for a few episodes, but Merle is devious and has his own agenda which is to keep himself alive. The only other person he cares about is his brother.
I wanted D&M to be roaming brothers of destruction, to let us know that this world is bigger than the ten or so member principle cast. It's nice to know that there is a world out there beyond San Quentin and Main Street.
I agree to an extent. Daryl knew it was the wrong choice to leave the group. Merle wasn't appreciative or even listening to Daryl's suggestions because Merle is the bigger brother and assumed that Daryl would have fallen in line. If they stayed away from the group for longer than two or three episodes it would have hurt all the development that Daryl has had from the past seasons.
I'm just going to pretend that the Governor's assault on the prison was strictly an act of terror, which I guess is what they want us to believe, despite the fact that he had a rifleman in the guard tower and his group slung about a thousand precious rounds. No, I'm going to pretend it was an act of terror. The ice cream truck of walkers was bad. I was hoping for an assault team, or at least zombie's with helmets. Just plain walkers though? That doesn't hold water after Atlanta, Herschel's farm, and the cleanin out of the prison. A dozen walkers don't impress.
He wanted to make it known that he could attack them at any given time, and they aren't as safe as they think. The fact that him, Martinez, and the other guy in the truck never advanced was clear that he was saying that he's just getting started. The guy in the tower was the only one close enough with a good vantage point as well, and picking off extra bodies from the group would have been icing on the cake.

Flooding the area with more than a dozen walkers, plus opening the gate means that the group will have to waste ammo in taking them out, they are now confined to the prison with no real escape access, and with the gates down, walkers can continue to flood the area.
I guess Glenn knocked on the Governor's apartment and no one was home so he drove back to the prison.
Glen was checking the area in the back to see how walkers and Tyreese's group were entering the tombs.

I don't think Herschel has taken on Dale's traits. If he did, he'd be complaining alot more. If anything, he's like... Dale 2.0. Just all around superior.

Herschel is Dale 2.0. Less nosey with all the advice... and less legs.

I agree about Herschel replacing Dale as "the voice of reason", but I don't see Glenn becoming more like Shane.

To me, Rick is the one becoming more like Shane, and also becoming more similar to The Governor.

As for the attack, The Governor obviously wasn't trying to actually take the prison. It was a terrorist attack to shake their confidence and basically a big middle finger telling them he could hit them any time he felt like it.

And it's not like he didn't do any damage. They opened up the front gate, letting the front yard be reclaimed by walkers, and he killed Axel himself, costing Rick's group another member when they can't afford to be losing people.

Again, it obviously wasnt a mission to capture the prison, Kirkland even said it was a terror strike on Rick's group. In fact, I think I was the first one in this thread to label it as such. My complaint is that the scene didn't really compute as a terror attack for a few reasons that I've stated a half dozen times already. I think it was botched in direction.

I said Glenn was taking on characteristics of Shane, and I think it's apparent in his talk-don't-think outbursts, his seeking out violence, and his little spiel about being the de facto leader of the group. All Shane traits. Not saying he's about to kill-a-Otis and shave his head, but a little bit of Shane's role is finding its way into the Glenn character.

Herschel has taken on Dale traits, a better Dale as others have aptly stated, and I noticed it because he's had a complete character 180 from his days of trying to kick a proven Rick off his farm. Now he's an emathetic optimist that sees the good in people. He fights for people he doesn't even know. In a less subtle example, his leg got chopped off as Dale's was in the comic.

Just because he didn't do anything physical to her doesn't mean she wasn't emotionally traumatized by what happened. That was the whole point, Glen was being physically tortured for information, while the Governor used that to mentally torture Maggie. Just because they are in hell doesn't mean that they have experienced something like that in the past. She should be distant to him.
They have alluded to that fact and for what happened Maggie, which is why he's acting this way. He's completely justified for wanting to kill the Governor for what he put both of them through.

My okay with Maggie being upset, maybe not sulk in my cell/don't touch me upset, but they're portraying this as Maggie has issues and Glenn is murderously angry over her treatment at Woodbury. I wish someone would just say, hey Glenn, you're the one with major issues. You got the worst of it at Woodbury. Maybe Herschel said that in his talk with Glenn. I watch with a rather large group so I could have missed something. But Glenn should get more victim treatment and Maggie shouldn't be the helpless woman sulking in her cell. It's backwards.

I was wanting to see it explored as well.
It definitely would have been cool to see them out on their own for a few episodes, but Merle is devious and has his own agenda which is to keep himself alive. The only other person he cares about is his brother.
I agree to an extent. Daryl knew it was the wrong choice to leave the group. Merle wasn't appreciative or even listening to Daryl's suggestions because Merle is the bigger brother and assumed that Daryl would have fallen in line. If they stayed away from the group for longer than two or three episodes it would have hurt all the development that Daryl has had from the past seasons

Daryl has had development, but he's also gotten away from his defining attribute: his independence within the group. He doesn't need to be the dude shooting people over Rick's shoulder to be enriched as a character. Having his own arc would probably do more to define and elevate the character than having him continue to be Rick's lieutenant. The reunion could have been more impactful if they held off until the season finale. It lost all meaning to me because Rick and Daryl didn't last one freaking episode apart. It rendered Daryl's big decision to go with Merle hollow as well.

The Merle/Daryl dynamic could have been explored, a nice foundation was laid with the abusive dad subtext. Merle could have been given an origin and some context as an a-hole. I think the show has lost some of its stomach for longer, less action-oriented arcs.

The real defining moment of episode 10 for me was when Merle ripped off Daryl's shirt revealing the whipping scars obviously administered by their dad. This really helps bring full circle between season 2 and 3 why Daryl has trust issues and bonding issues with other people especially Carol. The poor guy was abused all through his childhood and is embarrassed and affected by his past abuse. Hopefully he opens up to Carol regarding this issue and they can get a real solid emotional relationship going :hrt: They were both physically and mentally abused; Carol by Ed and Daryl by his dad.

And to Daryl's good fortune, the competition is gone

My okay with Maggie being upset, maybe not sulk in my cell/don't touch me upset, but they're portraying this as Maggie has issues and Glenn is murderously angry over her treatment at Woodbury. I wish someone would just say, hey Glenn, you're the one with major issues. You got the worst of it at Woodbury. Maybe Herschel said that in his talk with Glenn. I watch with a rather large group so I could have missed something. But Glenn should get more victim treatment and Maggie shouldn't be the helpless woman sulking in her cell. It's backwards.

Maggie wasn't raped, but she was sexually assualted. That's not an easy thing to get over and how she's acting now isn't simply "sulking". I think she'll be OK, but she needs that time. When Glenn's doing now is a direct reaction to that - that happened to Maggie, there was nothing he could do to stop it, he's probably got a million different scenarios running through his head of how he could have stopped Merle from taking them in the first place, and he's just putting all of his anger and frustration into getting revenge on the Governor.

Unfortunately, he's putting everything into being the angry boyfriend and putting his responsibility of helping keep the group safe second. He never should have taken off the way that he did. His anger is understandable, but his actions were irresponsible.

"sulking" is a terrible way to put it. They were both traumatized, but Maggie was also humiliated and violated. It's even worse that the Governor made it seem like a choice.

I thought they explained Glenn's issue perfectly within the episode. It's not so much about being angry about what the Governor did to her, it's more about how he feels about what they did to her. Maggie is dealing with it in her own way, Glenn isn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"