The "World of Heroes" DC RPG Season III

New Years Eve, Nepal:

As the sun sets, and the people frolic, he does not.

As the countdown follows to new beginings and fresh starts, he doesn't know what's in store for him.

Once one of 7200 in his corps, and countless more in his chosen field of super heroics, and now he is truly alone.

Guy Gardner has traveled in the last few weeks. He has been to the most desolate places he could find.

And now he faces the call of Everest. His powers gone, his will deminished, he is one of the few not caught up in the aftermath of Unity.

His hair dyed black, to avoid anyone identifying him, his face covered in a beard, from lack of a razor, he walks alone.

He takes a path he swore he'd never tread. He has become the loner. And for everything Guy Gardner was, he was never the loner.

The rebel, the biggot, the idiot, the macho jerk. NEVER the loner.

That was the role of the Bat of Gotham. Not a Green Lantern.

But how things can change.

THE END (Until Next Season)...

I stand outside, watering the yard in my undershirt and red heart boxers. I look in through the house window and smile at Carol. She waves at me and I wave back. The dogs run around, weaving around and between my feet, they're careful not to run into the water. I spray water at the poodle, and he frightens, running into the white picket fence. I laugh, and then turn off the water, giving him a belly rub.

Carol's inside baking cookies before my flight. Nice thought. Oa's all right, but nothing compared to this. I stand up and look up at the sky. I see fighter jets do a formation in the sky, with red, white, and blue exhaust coming out the back. It reminds me of the old days when i used to fly up there. Now I just do my business and after I do that, keep my feet on the ground.

I head back inside but I look over to down the street before entering through my front door just in time to see a red jaguar pull up to the curb in front of my house. The dark tint of the windows left more to the imagined. My ring willed up and glowed bright green. It flashed and all I saw was green. Then when the flash dissolved, all i saw was green. A green boy.

I knew him. Gar Logan, also known as Beast Boy from the Titans, or the Teen Titans, or the Titans Southwest. Who knows, they change their name every year, not unlike Justice League America, Justice League, Justice League International, Justice League: Detroit...

"How are you, Hal?" asked Gar, his green hand reaching out for a shake. My green hand, slowly fading away, reached out to grab his and we shook hands. He wore a Hawaiian shirt, and in his arm he held a parcel, wrapped in black string.

"I'm fine," I replied, eyeing the package.

"Moving day, i suppose?" asked Gar. I nodded, looking back at Carol in the kitchen, then back at Gar.

"Yeah. Not for her, but for me," I clarified.

"Yeah, I heard. It's all around the grapevine. Hal Jordan can never cut a break. Drunk driving, yellow parallax parasite demon, Spectre, now leaving the woman he loves for..."

"Ok, Gar, I understand."

"Yeah, sorry Hal. Anyways, I got a package for ya."

"From who?" I asked inquisitively.

"Well, I don't know exactly. Nightwing from the Outsiders gave it to me. He says someone on the League gave it to him, though, so who knows. Maybe Diana?" nudged Gar. I wrest free from his nudges and looked to the kitchen window.

"I already have my princess. Thanks anyway, Gar."

"No problemo, senor," said Gar, heading back towards his sports car. "Speaking of which, any place I can get some good mexican food?"

"Mexican restaraunts are a dime a dozen in Coast City. Turn any corner and you'll find one."

"Thanks," he said, driving away. I carefully opened the package and i held up what was inside. There was a note attached.

It said "Hal, do not forget where you came from. We will never forget you."

Inside was a picture frame, broken and battered, but he could make out what it was. A memory of the past, and all those who he had lost.

IdentityCrisisHC.jpg

I held Carol close and kissed her deeply.

"I will always love you."

"And I, you."

"Reading Shakepseare?"

"Almost at the end of Midsummer."

"Good. Read Romeo and Juliet. By the time you're done with that, I'll be back. Back in a flash."

"Don't steal Barry's thunder."

"Haha, I know."

I kiss her again, and then back away, with a picture frame and cookies in a backpack.

"Heaven and Hell cannot keep me from you."

I rocket upwards into the infinite sky.

"I love you Hal. I will always love you."

I float outside Earth's atmosphere for a split-second.

And then I blow a kiss to the world below.

I lie under my sheets and stare at the ceiling. The lamp on my bedside table illuminates my disheartened mug. Well, it’s over. Another year gone and I’m still alive. I’m usually a real party animal this time of year. I have a huge party for my staff and entertain them all with a few of the jokes I concocted while patrolling the city in the Bug. During an uneventful time of course. I even used to get myself drunk a lot, at least I used to. Even since that JLI meeting where I ticked off Hawkman after getting boozed up, I’ve tried to be more careful. But all in all, I usually really enjoy myself.

But tonight was different, I just hung around. I made a few clumsy quips here and there but it was more out of obligation than that I had any fun doing it. I even ducked out early. I was practically out the door and off home to bed, the second “…2…1… Happy New Year!” crossed my employee’s lips.

For once in my life I’m sad, and I think I know why. I did jack **** to help with the Unity crisis. I might of well have been hiding in the Bug instead of patrolling Hug City for all the good I did. Come to think of it, I did spend a good chunk of time hiding in the Bug! Unity’s opened my eyes. I’m not doing what I set out to do when I took the mantle of Blue Beetle up from Dan. I’m not making a difference in the world. Sure, I do some good here and there, but what have I actually accomplished as a whole? I have next to no respect from my peers. They often treat me like a teenage sidekick. I never understood why until now.

So, what do I do now? Give up? Hell no. Did the others give up when over half the world became zombies? They most certainly did not! So am I going to give up now that I’ve discovered what’s wrong with me? After what the other heroes have done I don’t have the right to do so. It’s New Year’s Eve and it’s time for my resolution: I’m going to make a difference in this world.

JUST THE BEGINNING…

Imra blinked her eyes open.
They were in the cave and she could hear Garth and Brainy’s voices filtering in from the other room. She sat up and touching her forehead smiled.

She walked carefully into the other room, her swelling had receided and her bruises had faded, a little. Still her broken rib hurt.
She quickly gleened from Brainy about the Time Plateform.

“When can we leave Brainy?” She asked, her hand on her ribs. She placed her other arm around Garth’s waist for support and looked at the man standing next to Brainy.
She was in pain and nothing could heal her better than the 30th century medicine. Besides, they didn't fit in here.

Imra let her mind wander across the minds of the people in the near cities.
It was New Years Eve. Soon the New Year would be there.

"But it isn't new. Once we go back home we'll know the future of this time. It will become our past."
SHe closed her eyes and took in the innocence in the cities.

OOC: Quick I know. Johnny, feel free to get us out of there. And post your return. I’ll do a post to catch up and we’ll be done! :)

After a long winded explanation of how it the device worked, which was lost on Garth, Tyler motioned for the three Legionnaires to board. Brainy went on first and began powering up the bubble. Imra was next to board and took a seat in one of the vehicle’s chairs. Garth was about to board, but paused as he stood in the device’s doorway. He turned and looked around at the base which had been their home for what has seemed like ages. He was eager to get back to the thirty-first century, but part of him would miss this time.

“It is time, Garth”, said Tyler as he stood outside the machine.

“Yeah”, said Garth in a distant voice.

“Thanks for your help, Tyler.”

“It was not a problem. You need to return to your proper time, and I must aid you. The Legion will need the skills of Brainiac Five, Live Wire, and Saturn Girl in the hard times to come. The entire future will need you three.”

Garth cocked an eyebrow and looked curiously at the Hourman, “What do you mean?”

“I am sorry, Garth, but I cannot say anymore. Return to your friends and family and enjoy the happy times. But, like all good things...”

And just like that, the Hourman was gone, disappearing back into the time stream.

Boarding the time ship, Garth sealed the hatch.

“That guy’s almost as weird as Brainy”, he said as he took a seat next to Imra.

“Ahem! I’m right here.”

Garth simply laughed at Brainy’s offence. They had known each other for years, and, even though he would never admit it, Brainy enjoyed the playful banter with his friends.

“All right. All systems are online. I am preparing to fire the engines and enter the time stream. With any luck, we should be back in the thirty-first in a few minutes.”

Garth didn’t say a word, but nodded his head. This was it. They were finally going home.

Looking over, Garth smiled at Imra and took her hand in his. She returned his smile with one of her own and gave his hand a squeeze, and then they were off. Heading back to the future and to home...

OOC: Twy, if you want to do a welcome home celebration, or what not, for us when we return you can.
Me, I'm just going to skip all of that and have Garth's final post take place a few days after their return. :up:

Imra smiled as he squeezed her hand, scooting over and leaning on his shoulder. His arm went around her waist and she closed her eyes.

Pain entwined through her body and she focused to keep from lossing conciousness.

In the distance she could feel the minds of the people. Their minds were one again, but this time it was by their own choice. They counted down. She smiled as she listened to the freed minds and Brainy and Garth’s banter in the background.

5…

“All right. All systems are online.”

4…

“I am preparing to fire the engines”

“and enter the time stream.”

2…

“With any luck, we should be back in the thirty-first in a few minutes.”

1…

Happy New Year!

***Happy New Years Garth.***

She leaned over and pressed her lips to his as the colorful swirls of the timestream engulfed them.

OOC: Post you’re stuff Johnny and then I’ll do my little tie in and we should be done!

Garth sat in the dining area of Legion HQ, just days after they had returned from the past.
There was a small celebration held when they came back. A few drinks with their friends, but nothing major. No need to make a big deal out of it, was what Garth said.

Bringing the steaming mug of liquid to his mouth, Garth took a big gulp.
"Ahhh, that's some good stuff."

"What is it?" Asked Ayla Ranzz, his sister and teammate, Spark, who sat directly across from him at the table.

"A drink from the twenty-first called coffee. It's some pretty good stuff. Want to try a sip?"

"If it's anything like that soup you were eating before you all left, then no way."

"A simple "no thank you" would've worked", replied Garth as he took another sip of hot coffee.

Placing the mug down, Garth stared across the table at Ayla. He didn't say a word at all, just smiled and stared for what seemed like forever. In reality, the stare only lasted about twenty seconds before Ayla broke the silence.

"What?"

"Nothing...it's just...it's good to see you again, Ayla."

Ayla smiled warmly at her twin, "You too, Garth. Even though you were only gone for a few days, our time."

"Still, these little bits of downtime we've got between missions...we've got to cherish them, Ayla. Because, like all good things, they won't last."

"Wow", said a stunned Ayla Ranzz as she looked at her brother.
"Since when did you get all phylisophical? You sound sort of like Val."

"I'm serious, Sis", Garth went on, as he remember what the Hourman had said to him before they left, "these little pockets of waiting for the next crisis, these are the happy times. And we can't take those for granted."

Ayla stared hard at Garth's serious look, "That trip back really did change you a bit."

"It put things into better perspective for me."

"Well", Ayla said as she reached in and took Garth's mug of coffee and raised it into the air, "here's to the new Live Wire."

Taking a sip, Ayla put the mug down and smacked her lips, as though she was still deciding whether she liked it or not.

"So?"

"Not bad...I guess."

"Better than the tomato soup?"

"Well", said Ayla as she leaned back in her chair and looked around the room before continuing, "the soup really wasn't that bad. I was just messing with you."

"I knew it!"

After a bit of laughter, a minute of silence fell on the pair. Eventually, Ayla broke it, "Hey...I'm going out later with Triad, Ferro, and Kinetix. You and Imra want to join us?"

Before Garth could answer, Ayla continues with a smile, "After all, aren't we supposed to treasure these bits of down time?"

"Yep, we sure are", said Garth as he smiled back at his twin sister. Finishing off his coffee, Garth pushed his chair back and rose from the table.
"Well, I better go let Imra know about tonight and get ready myself."

Ayla pushed her chair out and rose to her feet as well, "Sounds good. Meet us in the lounge at eight."

"Okay."

Ayla walked up to Garth and gave him a big hug, which he was not hesitant at all to return.

"It's good to have you back home, Garth."

"It's good to be back, Ayla."

"See you tonight", said Ayla as she walked out of the room.

After taking care of his empty mug, Garth followed suit and began walking to Imra's quarters. He ran into several Legionnaires on his way, each of them smiling and offering a "Hello", or a "Glad you're back". Garth simply smiled to them and answered in kind.

It was good to be home.

Legion.jpg

OOC: Long live the Legion. It's all on you now, Twy. :up:

Incense floated around in the room, the dim light casting shadows through the thin veil of smoke.
Imra Ardeen sat in the middle of her quarters. Her leg’s crossed, and hands on her knees she kept her eyes closed as she meditated.

She hadn’t been able to say goodbye to Bart and frankly she missed him. His fast mind had been a challenge and she knew XS missed him already.
She let her mind wander over the people in the Legion HQ. Garth was talking to Alya and Ultra Boy was kissing Apparition, that caused Imra to smile. Closing her mind off to the Legion she let her mind float upwards towards space.
Not the space ship clogged space but a pure one. The stars shone bright on their black velvety background. She let her mind rest there for several minutes till she felt refreshed. Slowly bringing herself back she slowly opened her eyes. Standing she blew out the incense and turned the lights on. She could feel Garth coming to her quarters. Tossing the pink pillow she had been sitting on, on her bed she went over and touched her computer screen.
She shook her head.

“’Computer’ I must get these 21st century references out of my mind.”

She touched it.
“General, please.”

A three dimensional see-through figure popped up and spun around as Imra read the read out.

Hair color: Dark Brown

Arrival: Gotham City --- -- 21st Century

Skills: Martial Arts..

She turned at feeling Garth at her door, flicking the screen off, a smile on her face. Everything was as it should be; history hadn’t been too messed up by them, or the Unity.

Opening her door she smiled up at Garth.

" Hey Baby, how is it?"

“Perfect. Everything’s perfect.”

She let him lean over and kiss her cheek.

“Any suggestions as to what I should wear tonight?”

She waited for it, the inevitable look and then smile.

" Eavesdropper."

Hal Jordan sat outside the Corps Base on Oa. He looked at the sky, around where Earth should be. There was something creeping closer and closer on the horizon, he could just feel it. It had been there for a while, and his premonitions had gone away for the time being.

Hal moved in front of the 1000 Corps trainees and began to make a speech.

"In brightest day, in blackest night, no eveil shall escape my sight. Let all who worship Evil's might, beware my power, Green Lantern's light!"

green_lantern_rebirth6.jpg

"Thank you. You may all be dismissed."

*Bump for the sake of the season's existence on the Hype. Ignore.*

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back