The "World's Finest" DC RPG

6315207209_456860470e.jpg

The kitchen staff is visibly shaken as they see the Joker and his crew enter the kitchen.

The Joker says, "Oh right I'm sorry. Boys wash your hands up don't want any germs in here."

They look at each other and begin washing up as The Joker walks around and asks, "Okay who's in charge?"

A very timid gentleman steps forward and says, "Ummm I'm the manager on on on-duty."

The Joker says, "Well" reading his name tag "Carl. This evening we're going to see if there is any false advertising going on here."

The Joker puts his arm Carl and says, "We hear that the Chicken Alfredo is to die for! Well we're going to see if that's true. If it is then we'll endorse you. If not well we're gonna have to deal with ya. The world is a cruel and dishonest enough place we don't false advertising to help out with that."

The Joker walks over to the stove area and looking over the orders says, "Let's see ahh yes there are two orders of the Chicken Alfredo right here. Well time to get to work!"

The cook looks at the Joker and the Joker says, "Don't look at me watch your food man! Take care of the customers! HA HA HA HA HA HA!"

A kitchen staff member very discretely texts: 911 The Joker is here and armed!

"That level of brutality wasn't called for and you know it. Do you know who sent these men?"
damian_s1.png

-tt-

Despite the admonishment, or likely because of it, Damian actually smiled coldly through the shadows that masked most of his face. "You think this was brutal? What a sheltered life you must have had..." the young Wayne mused aloud in a caustic tone.

No one was dead, not by his hand at least. That alone fulfulled Damian's word to uphold the vaulted Batman Code.

"As for who sent them, why don't you tell me?"

Turning the question on the Man of Steel, Damian began to press his own interrogation. "The League of Assassins has been contracted to kill Clark Kent. The question I have is, why would someone contract to kill a mediocre journalist?"

Okay, so maybe the 'mediocre' comment had been extraneous.

"You're obviously better suited than I to answer the who and why of that question."

"As for who sent them, why don't you tell me?"

Turning the question on the Man of Steel, Damian began to press his own interrogation. "The League of Assassins has been contracted to kill Clark Kent. The question I have is, why would someone contract to kill a mediocre journalist?"

Okay, so maybe the 'mediocre' comment had been extraneous.

"You're obviously better suited than I to answer the who and why of that question."

"There's a shell corporation called United Holdings. They've been buying up property all across town for cheap prices. I think I know why."

I turn away from Damian and look out on the city.

"I think there's a natural gas and oil deposit underneath the Suicide Slums. It could be worth billions. United's doing something underhanded with City Hall. Bribes, threats, kickbacks. Exactly what, I have no idea. I plan on finding out, though."

Back in Gotham. Already, the sun and warmth of San Diego was a distant memory. Even in daytime, it often felt like the city's foreboding architecture was designed to eat light and cast shadow, creating a sense that darkness was never far away. Gotham was a city built for night. It was at night that the city seemed to come alive, like clockwork of some wicked machine lurching into life and spitting out pain and fear into the world.

For Batman, it was home.

Tonight, he was closer to home than he'd like. He was in Crest Hill: the wealthiest area in Gotham, and home to some of the most extravagant homes in the state, including Wayne Manor. But it wasn't Wayne Manor Batman was at now, but the nearby Conroy Estate. Bruce Wayne knew David and Elizabeth Conroy, had been to a few of their parties. Now, they were dead.

"Both murdered in their beds," sighed Gordon wearily. He was the greatest cop Batman had ever known, but he never seemed to get used to the endless parade of horrors Gotham had to offer. Batman could see, in his eyes, that it still got to him. Which was probably why he remained the greatest cop Batman had ever known.

"Any witnesses? Suspects?"

The bedroom had been cleared of uniforms and CSI. It was just Batman and Gordon. And the Conroys. He moved closer to the bed, scanning their bodies. Stabbed to death by a long blade. Two clean wounds to the chest for David, at least one going straight through the heart. The killer surprised him, hitting the killing wound while he was still asleep. He was still lying under the covers. Elizabeth's wounds were messier. She was lying half out of the bed, suggesting the murder of David had woke her up and she'd started to flee. One slicing wound through her back had put her down, followed by a deeper wound to the neck. The impression on the carpet suggested the killer had kneeled down next to her to finish the job.

"No one saw or heard a thing during the murder. Their son, Kevin, was asleep down the hall. But we do have a witness."

Batman looked up at Gordon. He'd been so immersed in his study of the crime scene - already he was analysing the area for fingerprints and hair fibers to no avail - that he'd almost forgotten he'd asked the question.

"Who?"

"The butler."

Harold Mathis was an elderly man, a good decade or so older than Alfred. And by the looks of things, the events of tonight had aged him even more. Batman found him sat in the kitchen, shivering, a haunted look on his face. Gordon cleared the room, and with a nod, left Batman alone to talk to him.

"What did you see?" Batman asked.

"I... I didn't see anything," Harold stammered, "I heard his voice, though. I was lying in bed, half-awake. I thought I'd heard a noise coming from Master and Lady Conroy's room upstairs, but wasn't sure. And just when I was questioning whether or not I should venture upstairs, the door opened. My heart seized in my chest, I was terrified. But whoever it was... he never came in. All I heard was his voice, speaking to me from outside the room."

"What did he say?"

"He told me that I would have to look after young Master Kevin now, that I would have to raise him as if he were my own son. That was all. Then he left. I ran upstairs and... and I saw..."

The old man burst into tears, holding his head in his hands.

"I've been with the Conroy family for generations. I was here when Master David was born, watched him grow up. And to see him and Elizabeth like that, tonight... I.... I'll see that in my head 'til the day I die..."

"What about the boy, Kevin? Did he see?"

"No, no. I made sure he stayed in his room, told him there was nothing to worry about. He's got a nightmare ahead of him, the poor boy deserves one more night's sleep. It's my job to protect him now."

Without saying anything else, Batman left Mathis be, going back out into the hallway to find Gordon.

"It sounds like he's telling the truth," Batman said.

"I just don't understand it," Gordon said, "Do you have any ideas of what this could be about?"

Batman thought about the night before he left for San Diego, the boy in Crime Alley...

"I don't know yet. Right now, the most likely scenario is that this is about the Conroys, someone with a grudge against them. I'll look into it."

He didn't know of any enemies the Conroys had, they didn't seem like the type to make any. But as terrible as it was to say, that was the most desirable scenario: that this was a one-off crime, and any relation to the incident in Crime Alley was coincidental. Because if the two cases were linked, it could mean that someone was sending a message to him. And more importantly, it could mean that more families were in danger...

I turn away from Damian and look out on the city.

"I think there's a natural gas and oil deposit underneath the Suicide Slums. It could be worth billions. United's doing something underhanded with City Hall. Bribes, threats, kickbacks. Exactly what, I have no idea. I plan on finding out, though."
damian_s1.png

"Ah, capitalism. Is there anything else worth killing for?"

To be honest, Damian couldn't complain about the end that the corporation was attempting to achieve. Natural gas and oil deposits meant new energy resources for the region, which led to job creation, which improved the economy. Naturally, the extension of all of those things would be that the poor would become poorer and the rich would become richer - which the middle class would only further distent its own internal class markers. With the loss of the slums, the impoverished would have no where to go. Housing prices would rise as space became a premium, but ultimately fall once the corporation started drilling and pumping the deposits.

A classic economic trap for everyone inside Metropolis. Bound by jobs, chained by mortagages on homes that had loss value, and without the buying power to pull themselves out of the pit.

And people thought Damian's line of work was cruel and brutal.

Correction, former line of work. Former.

"I'll keep the assassins off Kent and see what I can learn about United Holdings economic ties outside Metropolis," Damian remarked finally, firing a grappling line off to an adjoining rooftop. "I'll leave the rest to your skills as an investigative journalist."

"I'll keep the assassins off Kent and see what I can learn about United Holdings economic ties outside Metropolis," Damian remarked finally, firing a grappling line off to an adjoining rooftop. "I'll leave the rest to your skills as an investigative journalist."

"One more thing, Robin..."

I turn to the young man and stare at him.

"Insult my writing again, I'll send you back to Gotham so fast it'll make your head spin."

With that, I take off into the air and tear through the sky.

The reaction from all three crowds is essentially the same. And so is my response.

"I know what you're thinking. Exactly how much have I had to drink, and where can you get some?"
The small laughs help break the instant tension my question created.

"I know how I sound. 'How can he say the superheroes have cost us money?' Yes. How could their battles be contributing to our hardships in this economic climate? Their battles that have destroyed buildings, local shops, and corporate branches."

"Yes, yes," I say, making the effort of raising my hands defensively so they know not to worry. Understanding human psychology gives on such power. "Their heroics stop the villains, very true. There's no denying that. I shudder to think what our city would be like without their efforts. The villains would roam free."

Morning
"Superman stopped a serial arsonist trying to burn down my store..."

Afternoon
"The Guardian broke a major drug ring on the docks. A lot of my boys could have been caught up in that without him..."

Night
"My insurance premiums skyrocketed after Wonder Woman decided to have one of her fights in my bank."

I repress a smile at that. In the other two meetings, every one extolled the virtues of the 'saviors' and the protection they provide. But leave it to a CEO to get to the heart of the matter. Money.

"The heroes perform a valuable service. But, unlike anyone else performing a service, present company included, they have no accountability. There is no recompense for damages. So who has to pay for all of that damage? We do. Either directly, or in our exponentially growing premiums."

"So what do we do?" Another company president asks. "Get the heroes to stop? We need them."

"We also need to stay in business. Do you know how many companies, of all sizes, in Metropolis have gone bankrupt in the last year alone? Twelve percent. Do you know home many of those were involved in altercations between Supers? Two-thirds."

I let that thought sink in for a beat.

"You still haven't said how we're going to handle this."

"We're going to make sure that the super-heroing business is run like a business should be run."

"But how?"

"The American way. We're going to sue them."

I let my words sink in. Again. And while everyone starts discussing the idea amongsth themselves, with voices rising, my lawyers start passing out packets of documents to the tables. I wait for the voices to quiet down as some of the invitees begin looking over the paperwork inside.

"Instead of reading through my entire proposal here and now, please allow me to sum up. I propose our companies pool their resources and file this as a class action suit against the superhero community here in the city. Every hero that has been involved with property damage will be involved."

"You're actually serious, aren't you Lex?"

"Yes. I am. My concern for this situation has been growing for some time. And since the politcos are more than happy to let the situation continue, I believe this is our only alternative. Our only way to protect ourselves and our property."

"You're crazy."

"...finally lost his mind."

"...Never work."

"It can work."

"You'll shut the heroes down! The criminals-"

"I assure you all, my goal is not to shut the superhero community down." I keep my face carefully neutral. "What I want is the heroes to act responsibly and be accountable."

In every meeting, I spend a good deal of time explaining and defending my position. And what we expect to gain out of this suit. And, enevitably, the same question comes up.

"Even if we go along with this...how are we going to even serve the heroes papers? They have secret identities and super powers!"

At that, I smile. "That's actually easier than you think."

"Now...who's with me?"

OOC: Previously...

obar2-1.jpg

The Oblivion Bar
Location Unknown
Now

"How about we all just calm down and--"

Lori can feel all the magical energy surging throughout the Oblivion Bar. All of these magic users...even if she could pick out two of the strongest and borrow their powers, the likelihood of her being able to wield them well enough to defeat the rest is rather low. There are simply too many. And they seem very very very angry right now.

"I mean...I know that I've probably taken the magical powers from several of you over the last year but--"

However, of the magic users present, there is at least one that she is familiar with power-wise as she has borrowed this person's gifts before.

"--all right, you guys asked for it!"

Stealing the powers of the Warlock's Daughter, Black Alice starts to feel more confident. It's a known fact of how much raw power the girl has being who she is and her own potential. Spotting a peculiar figure within the bar known as Acheron, who is a power ghost figure that has the powers of illusion and intangibility, Lori Zechlin makes the wise decision of borrowing his powers as well.

And now...something she does not want to do.

The Oblivion Bar
Location Unknown
A Few Moments Ago

obar1-1.jpg

As Lori and Klarion the Witchboy enter the bar, immediately Black Alice becomes overwhelmed by the great presence of magic. The presence of so many different types of magic and magical beings. Though while there is this surreal feeling she also has never felt so welcomed in her entire life. She is always used to being so very different from the rest; even when she was amongst super-powered beings. She had rarely been in the presence of so many...magical ones. Sure, there was the one time that she helped The Shadowpact, but it was a rather short-lived experienced as Lori was still searching for who she was.

Then again, she is still searching as she is only 17 years old. But one could argue that she had at least come a long way since 16.

Feelings of acceptance and welcome soon fade as it seems that there is quite the amount of eyes and heads turning their direction. Some glaring looks and some of full astonishment shoot at Lori and Klarion like vultures swooping in to feast on their dead prey. Although Lori has no plans on dying this day, so she'd prefer that they stop looking at them like that.

And then someone finally approaches and speaks up. As the figure approaches, Lori can sense that his magical abilities enable him to transform into a gargantuan brute form with embued magical physical strength that would give Superman a run for his money...when his current form is already rather large. Just peachy.

"Boy am I glad that I'm here for this. You sure do have a lot of nerve showing your face here! Get 'em!"

"How about we all just calm down and--"

"I mean...I know that I've probably taken the magical powers from several of you over the last year but--all right, you guys asked for it!"

As Alice is about to create an illusion that Spectre himself has entered the bar, the Warlock's Daughter, while powerless, steps forward and does something that no power Lori Zechlin possesses right now could do: she steps in front of the large crowd, stopping them, facing Lori as she does so.

"They don't want you...Black Alice...they want Klarion Bleak. And if you could, I would appreciate it if you'd give my powers back seeing as you will have no use in defending yourself."

Surprised, as Lori releases her hold on the Warlock's Daughter's powers, while still holding onto Acheron's ghost powers for a brief moment, she looks back at Klarion the Witchboy. Giving him a pissed off, confused, and ashamed look all at the same time, he can do nothing but sheepishly smile back. He shrugs and tries to give an innocent look after as the crowd starts to gather closer around them. Then, Lori releases Acheron's powers back to him as well and facepalms before she speaks to Klarion.

"You managed to piss off the entire current populace of the Oblivion Bar, and then some that luckily don't happen to be present I'd imagine? What did you do?"

"Me? I didn't do anything...they simply do not know what it truly means to party is all. Why, in Limbo Town it was completely fine to--"

"The Witchboy here thought it was fitting to cast a spell that turned everyone into Cat humanoids one afternoon so that his precious Teekl would have more friends to play with."

"I couldn't do it to the humans, because they might've died during the transformation. They have such fragile bones you see. So I came here! Teekl had such fun playing with some new friends."

"I was a cat creature for a week! Do you have any idea how difficult that makes things when we simply come here to unwind and not deal with the bizarre and annoying? Point is he isn't welcome here! So if he is with you, then I'm sorry but we are going to have to ask the BOTH of you to leave."

"Woah woah woah!"

Stepping inbetween Klarion and the pissed off magic user that seems to be speaking on the behalf of the rest, Lori defends her idiotic peer.

"I'm 'here' with him but he is moreso just the guide as I've never traveled to this bar solo before. I've got no problem making sure that he leaves you all be but there is simply one thing I have to ask. I'm looking for someone. Felix Faust's son. Sebastian Faust."

The Joker watches as the Chef prepares the Chicken Alfredo.

The Joker asks, "Who ordered this?"

Everyone is silent and frightened and he asks again, "Who ordered this?"

Again everyone looks at one another and The Joker says, "Oh I see my noteriety and fame is kinda intimidating well okay let me break the ice."

He grabs a waitress and plants a kiss on her. She struggles but eventually the Joker stops and says, "See I'm just like everyone else. Except I got better taste in wardrobe and hair styles. Now who ordered this."

A waiter timidly says, "Umm table 25."

The Joker looks at the waiter and says, "Thank you that wasn't so hard was it."

The waiter slowly shakes his head and The Joker says, "Okay take the night off."

The waiter and Carl look at one another and The Joker yells, "Beat it Kid!"

Carl motions for the waiter to leave and The Joker says to the chef, "Tell me when it's ready I wanna see this one through personally. Service with a smile! HA HA HA HA HA HA!"

As Stewart approached Tauron, he saw Arisia floating above the planet.

"So what is up, Arisia?"

"John, this planet is practically defenseless compared to the invasion force. I’ve tried to talk to the leader to find out why they came all this way to a planet that is barbaric in comparison to the space fleet. Tauron uses swords and shields that I think you would be familiar with back in your planet’s Dark Ages. It has no chance of surviving such a force. We have to protect it or at least find out why the fleet would attack such a much weaker opponent.”

“It sounds like we need to split up. You go down to the planet and see if you can find some central government of some sort. I’ll go chat with the leader of this space armada. If we don’t prevent this invasion, it will be a slaughter and that is one thing I won’t deal with on my watch.”

"One more thing, Robin..."

I turn to the young man and stare at him.

"Insult my writing again, I'll send you back to Gotham so fast it'll make your head spin."

With that, I take off into the air and tear through the sky.
damian_s1.png

The young Wayne smiled through the shadows that draped his red and yellow clad form. Was Superman offended? Did the Kryptonian golden child have a temper? Had Damian found a spot of pride there in the mundane life that Superman tried to put on like the cheap suits Clark Kent wore?

Fascinating.

While Damian didn't entirely subscribe to the identity of Robin, he was aware of the fact that his father was Batman and not Bruce Wayne. The former was who the man really was, the latter was the person he pretended to be.

Was it different with Superman? Did he need Clark Kent? Did he want to be Clark Kent?

How funny. The world's greatest boy scout wanted to be a journalist.

Still, as protection gigs went, it didn't get any easier than to protect Clark Kent from being assassinated.

Not even Ra's al Ghul was going to be able to pull that one off. And neither grandfather nor mother were going to waste their time offing a reporter. When the assignment became problematic, they'd take the money and kill whoever contracted them to cover the fact that the League hadn't been able to deliver on a job.

Arisia flies down to the planet surface while John flies towards the armada. Arisia lands in the most populated city on the planet and luckily is able to find the most centralized seat of government. Once she gets there, it is a huge castle surrounded by moats and guards. She has troubles at first but then one of the advisors recognized the lantern symbol and lets her in. Arisia is in awe of the decoration of the stone castle with all sorts of mosaics made out of gems imbedded in the walls. The advisor leads her to the throne room where the king and queen sit on their thrones. Arisia bows down to them.

“Welcome, Green Lantern. Having such a distinguished representative is a surprise. If we knew you were coming, we would have prepared a banquet.”

“Sire, don’t take offense to this but how would I’ve been able to contact you. From what I could tell, your planet is less advanced in technology then others. That leads to the reason why I’m here. You have a space armada orbiting your planet. I know we are here uninvited but I was following an armada from a planet that the Guardians have deemed to be possible troublesome. We aren’t allowed to directly fight them unless they are hostile towards a planet like yours. These aliens have a tendency to take over less advance worlds and make them slaves but they’ve swore to the Guardians that they have quit that practice. I want to know why they are here if you have any idea. I can’t believe they would go back on their word.”

“You may think we are less technological developed then the starships that orbit our planet but we are just as advanced as they if not more. Our weapons may look like nothing more then sticks and stones compared to your power ring or the plasma cannons on those destroyers and frigates but our magic is some of the most advanced in what you consider sectors for two sectors either way of this one. The surprised look on your face is a common reaction because most underestimate us as does the armada that is floating above us. We understand the technology of machines and computers but prefer our magical energies and creatures. We travel the stars and planets like any of the space faring people but through magical portals. There is no need to fear for our safety since we can and will protect ourselves from the so called threat. As to why they are here, it could be many reasons. If it is the race I believe it is, it all falls down to a misunderstanding of communication error. Their greetings and ours tend to be polar opposite in the sense of what is acceptable and insulting.”

“So blood shed and destruction can be avoided if we just sat down and worked out the differences?”

“I wish that would be the case but my idiot son insulted some high ranking admiral’s son and kept on doing it after he realized what he was doing. My son been punished according to our laws. The concern I have is the other race will want punishment that we would not allow.”

In space Stewart flies in front of the biggest ship hoping that it was the flag ship.

“This is Lantern Stewart of the Green Lantern Corp. By the identification of your ships, your planet is on a watch list for the Corps due to past grievances. I ask to at least speak to your leader of this armada to find out why you are so far from home. It appears that you are ready to assault a planet that looks almost defenseless. You’ve been in trouble with the Guardians for doing such past aggressions.”

A beam hits John and he notices that he is being pulled into a bay of the largest ship. He struggles to fight back but finds it hard to break free.

“Lantern Stewart, do not struggle, please. You won’t be able to break free. We mean no harm but with past experiences with your Corps, some aren’t the best fliers and have damaged many of our ships unintentionally. This will make sure you don’t destroy anything while you are coming on board. We also ask you to power down as much as possible while we talk.”

The beam continues to pull John into the bay where he is met by several armed guards. Once the beam is shut off and the bay doors are shut, they usher him down a hallway and onto the bridge. There he sees the admiral sitting in his command chair with a young woman standing next to him whom John thought could be his daughter.

“Lantern Stewart, if you will follow me to my ready room, I’ll discuss things with you privately. Landra, you will company us since this is revolves around your mistake.”

The semi-attractive woman lowers her head as she follows the admiral, guards surrounding both John and the admiral, and John. Once they enter the room, the guards walk back out the door as it shuts leaving the admiral, Landra, and Lantern Stewart in the room.

“I am Admiral Courteon and this is my daughter Landra. As to why we are here, it is a personal matter between my daughter here and a rascal on that planet below who violated her.”

“Dad, I told you that we co-mingled and both of us were very willing. In fact, it was me who suggested the idea. He was fun to be around since I could relax and say what I wanted without threats or means looks.”

“Co-mingled? Is that what you call it when my personal guards, who I sent to look for you after you didn’t report back in on schedule, found the two of you wrapped around each other with all sorts of aromas in the room? Co-mingling is possibly talking to someone at a table being a few feet apart instead of having to be pried off of the guy. I still think he took advantage of your youth and naïve mind. This is why he and his family is going to pay for the insults and aggressions he has made against you and in turn me plus this armada. You forget that where ever you are, you represent not just yourself but your family and to extension this armada. You will continue to serve your punishment once we get home but first this planet needs to finally accept that we are the better race.”

“Be careful with that threat, Admiral Courteon, or the Lantern Corp will have to get involved to help protect the planet below. I don’t think you want us that involved in this struggle. Maybe we can talk about things with whoever harmed your daughter and some sort of non-violent judgment can be sought. Wiping an entire planet just for the dishonor of one person is a bit extreme.”

“Honor? Do you understand that word, servant of the so called Guardians of the Universe? Those masters of yours don’t come close to even speaking the word honor let alone understand what the word means.”

“I too served in the military so yes I understand the concept of honor. I can’t say much for the Guardians since a few of us have questioned them as well but they do mean well even if a bit misguided at times. However, I still stand by the idea that we can come to a more peaceful resolution then your ships and troops tromping all over that planet.”

I pride myself on the ability to manage people, even when they don't realize they're being managed.

Each meeting is brought to a close within three hours. Time to spare for each of the next ones. By the end of each, I've convinced a majority of my quests to sign up, adding they're signatures to the list joining my suit. And those who didn't...well, they were smart enough to sign non-disclosure agreements. Wouldn't want the news to get out early, after all.

My lawyers will have all the documents processed and filed by lunch tomorrow. By the end of the day, papers will start being sent out. And, if need be, I'll put in a call or two to make sure the right judges get assigned.

It's midnight by the time I've finished everything I needed to do on my end. Now it's just a matter of waiting. And savoring the anticipation of what will happen tomorrow.

I sit in my chair in my office, looking out the massive windows at the city sprawled out before me. My city. At least, it used to be. Before they all appeared, changing the status quo. The people need to look to one of their own to help lift them up. Not one of them.

I swirl my brandy, allowing the heat of my hand to gently warm it. I gladly inhale the aroma, then take a slow sip. My computer beeps, pulling me from my reverie. I turn and light up the screen in my desk. A read the message that comes up
To: [email protected]
Re: Progress

Initial analysis complete. Taking final samples and interviews. Will return day after tomorrow after finalizing work and clean up.

Prognosis - Excellent

Hamilton
I shut down the screen, sighing with satisfaction. I poor a healthy amount of brandy into the glass, and pull one of my special Cuban cigars from a secret drawer. I light it and turn my chair back towards the cityscape as I take a long drag...

The next day, The Guardian is patroling Metropolis. Usually not a difficult job, with the so-called Man of Steel in town. But, even he can't be everywhere at once. There's still plenty of crime and people needing help to go around. Like a man preparing to jump to his death...

Guardian lands softly on the roof behind the man, being careful not to startle him from the ledge.

"Sir. Is there a problem? Can I help you?"

"A-Are you...The Guardian?"

"I am. Are you thinking about hurting yourself?"

"I didn't know what else to do."

"You don't have to do this."

"I-I have to. I can't...There's no other way."

"There always is. Take my hand. We'll figure this out."

"I was hoping a hero would show up..."

The man looks at the Guardian's out stretched hand. Then back at the Guardian. He reaches into his jacket pocket, and pulls out a piece of paper.

He put the paper in Guardian's hand.

"What the-?!"

"You've been served."

Wayne Tower was the central hub of Wayne Enterprises, and to many, the central hub of Gotham City as a whole. Bruce Wayne stood in his penthouse office, looking out the full-length windows down at the city below. The sun was shining, it was a beautiful day. As if last night had never happened.

But it was still very much in Bruce's mind. The murder of the Conroys raised some disturbing questions in his mind. There's a quote in Ian Fleming's Goldfinger that never made it into the movie, something along the lines of: the first time is happenstance, the second time is coincidence, the third time is enemy action. Finding that boy in Crime Alley, his parents lied dead beside him, had stirred up traumatic memories within him, but he had merely thought of it as a single, brutal crime, a standalone incident in a city seething with them. But this second crime, another boy left orphaned, and not just that, a boy that lived in the same area where Bruce grew up, another boy left in the care of the family butler.... it was one hell of a coincidence. He'd spent all night searching for any clues, anything he mgiht have missed. Nothing. It seemed like he had no choice but to wait for the enemy action.

"Mr. Wayne, your 1pm is here."

Bruce was stirred from his thoughts by the intercom. He quickly answered.

"Send him in, Shirley. Thanks."

He let out a sigh, then put on a smile. He'd traded in Batman's costume for Bruce Wayne's suit, but he still had battles to fight. A man walked into his office, and Bruce extended his hand.

"Lex, good to see you again."

sm06_site_header.jpg

New Daily Planet
Metropolis, MA

Perry looks over my findings inside his office while I sit in the chair across from his desk, nervously fiddling with my pen. He flips through the pages once he's done and takes his time to weigh the information he read. He finally looks up at me

"Great Casar's Ghost!" He exclaims. "Clark, you weren't kidding. You got the makings of one great story. But just the makings. You need to tie it down some more, get more figures. If we're gonna make a direct hit at these people, we need solid figures."

"I know that, Perry. This isn't my first time taking a run at City Hall, remember?"

"Yeah," he says with a smirk. "I remember. Crusading Kent. Well, you got some solid evidence, but we need more."

"I'll do that," I say to Perry with a nod. "Just do me a favor and, uh, let me get some time on this. Don't tell Lois."

"What?" Perry asks with a furrowed brow. "Why?"

"It's not that I don't trust her, it's just...this could be a big story. She may tell Edge about it..."

"I see. Well, I think you need to trust her, but it's not my place to judge. You're my reporter and I'll respect your wishes."

"Thanks, Chief," I say, standing and collecting my papers. "I'm on my way to work on the rest of that story."

"Don't call me Chief. And if you see Jimmy, tell him to come see me. I haven't seen that kid in awhile."

"Will do."

I take my papers and head for the roof. He should be waiting for me. Despite my misgivings, Robin's out to see this to the end. I may not like his methods, but I do approve of his never-say-die attitude. And, after what happened earlier, I do owe him. We may make the most unlikely pair, but it does work.

damian_s1.png

It was always sunny in Metropolis. The city was so bright that it was ****ing depressing. The bright towers. The clean streets. The painted over corruption. The smell of cheap air freshener covering up the reeking odor of garbage. The City of Tomorrow was a pretty face on the ugly habits of human society. All the same crime and corruption, the class separations and the marginalization of the poor, happened here as in other places in the world. The people of Metropolis just went a little further out of their way to ignore the inconvenient reality happening right in front of them.

No wonder Superman wore such a bright outfit.

The lack of shadows made it necessarily to be extremely subtle, a fact that would make tracking the next assassin more difficult. They'd run to ground, stay low, monitor for a distance. Inside a building most likely. Damian would need information on all the offices with windows facing the Daily Planet. Kent's apartment was even more of a disaster. Much easier for people in the surrounding structure to go in and out of.

Tossing a blueberry muffin up into the air, the young Wayne casually caught the muffin and then tossed it over his shoulder behind him. "It's not good to skip breakfast, Mister Kent," the boy remarked coolly, turning back to look at the journalist.

Did he buy that suit off the rack?

And a slight mustard stain on the tie. Very normal Joe.

The chef tells The Joker, "The...the order is umm ready sir."

The Joker takes the order and drapes a towel over his wrist and says, "Thank you my dear man."

The Joker leaves the kitchen and enters the dining area.

The Joker says, "I'll tell ya folks! It's gotten so bad out there I'm taking a second job."

There are audible gasps, camera phones being used, and people trying to leave the restaurant but the Joker's henchmen have guarded the exits.

He says to those trying to leave, "Dine & dash. How low brow!"

The Joker then addresses the rest of the dining area, "Don't worry folks just need to confirm something for myself."

He approaches a young couple and says, "You two ordered the Chicken Alfredo. Here ya go! Tell me what you think of it."

The two look at one another and The Joker says, "What? Oh do you think I did something to it. Okay"

The Joker takes a bite and nods and then falls over grabbing his throat very dramatically and rolling his eyes. Everyone looks at him and he looks up and says, "Gotcha! HA HA HA HA HA HA! I need to have a word with the chef. Enjoy your meals everyone!"

The Joker and his men make their way to the kitchen he looks at the chef and says, "Oh it was good. Quite good indeed! But not worth dying for so time for you to go!"

He pulls out a revolver and points it at the chef. People in the kitchen are huddling together as The Joker pulls the trigger. A "bang" flag unrolls from the gun-barrel. The Joker laughs hysterically as he says, "GOTCHA!"

Everyone breathes a sigh of relief and The Joker says, "You should've seen the look on your face! Well it's been fun folks but time to move along."

He looks at his henchmen and says, "Grab some food we may get hungry a little later and go ahead and hit the safe you've earned it."

The henchmen quickly bust open the safe and steal the cash from it and The Joker says, "To the van!" He then looks at the kitchen staff and says, "Don't worry I'll recommend this place to all my friends! Ta-Ta!"

The Joker and his men leave the restaurant.

Tossing a blueberry muffin up into the air, the young Wayne casually caught the muffin and then tossed it over his shoulder behind him. "It's not good to skip breakfast, Mister Kent," the boy remarked coolly, turning back to look at the journalist.

Did he buy that suit off the rack?

And a slight mustard stain on the tie. Very normal Joe.

"I think I'll survive," I said, looking at the boy. "My boss liked what I had, but I need more."

I handed Damian a scrap of paper. "That's the address of United Holding's Metropolis office. Meet me there in an hour. I'm going to see Mayor Morrisroe. If there's any problems, you can get in touch with me on my Justice League comm."

OOC: Just realized Keyser and I are using the same font. So I've switched mine up

Wayne Tower was the central hub of Wayne Enterprises, and to many, the central hub of Gotham City as a whole. Bruce Wayne stood in his penthouse office, looking out the full-length windows down at the city below. The sun was shining, it was a beautiful day. As if last night had never happened.

But it was still very much in Bruce's mind. The murder of the Conroys raised some disturbing questions in his mind. There's a quote in Ian Fleming's Goldfinger that never made it into the movie, something along the lines of: the first time is happenstance, the second time is coincidence, the third time is enemy action. Finding that boy in Crime Alley, his parents lied dead beside him, had stirred up traumatic memories within him, but he had merely thought of it as a single, brutal crime, a standalone incident in a city seething with them. But this second crime, another boy left orphaned, and not just that, a boy that lived in the same area where Bruce grew up, another boy left in the care of the family butler.... it was one hell of a coincidence. He'd spent all night searching for any clues, anything he mgiht have missed. Nothing. It seemed like he had no choice but to wait for the enemy action.

"Mr. Wayne, your 1pm is here."

Bruce was stirred from his thoughts by the intercom. He quickly answered.

"Send him in, Shirley. Thanks."

He let out a sigh, then put on a smile. He'd traded in Batman's costume for Bruce Wayne's suit, but he still had battles to fight. A man walked into his office, and Bruce extended his hand.

"Lex, good to see you again."

I smile at Bruce's greeting and shake his hand. I don't think too highly of Bruce Wayne as a man, personally. If his father saw ow he lives his life, he'd would undoubtedly be ashamed. But, despite his...extravagances, he runs a successful company, surrounds himself with smart people, and it's obvious, at least to me, that there more going on in that brain of his than he lets on. There's more to Bruce Wayne than the playboy the public sees.

"Hello, Bruce. Been a long time. Not since..." I snap my fingers. "Not since the Republican Convention. Looks like we both backed the wrong man. I told you we should have pooled our resources."

Both Arisia and Stewart walk away from their respective hosts.

"Arisia, this is Stewart. This may be a bit tougher then I thought. There seems to be a couple of young people involved and at least the daughter's father isn't happy with it."

"I've met the son's dad. He is the High King of this planet. Apparently the son, the High Prince, insulted the daughter and in turn the father."

"Hmm, that isn't quite what I got up here. The woman's father is the fleet admiral and by the sounds of it the two became love birds and the father is irrate at the idea."

"That does seem a bit strange. How can two people who were insulting each other end up in each other's arms?"

"It isn't that impossible. Sometimes humans have so much raw emotional tensions between a couple that they start out fighting to the death and end up in bed together. That would be something strange to see, a Red Lantern getting into such a heated argument that by the end they are Violet Lantern."

"I doubt the rings work like that, John, but maybe you are right. The best thing is to get everyone involved in the same room to chat about things. I've got a feeling if this does turn into a battle, it will be an ugly one because these people claim to have very strong magic on their side."

"So do we have the meeting down there or up here?"

"I don't know, let me see what the king wants to do. He already admitted that his son did the wrong but is afraid that the admiral will want more punishment then the king is willing. It might be better down here."

"Very well, I'll see if the admiral will agree to the idea."

Arisia and John talk to their respective parties. The High King has no problems of hosting but the admiral is putting up a fight for security reasons. It does please the admiral though that the son admits to starting it. After several minutes of talking, Stewart finally convinces the admiral in taking a shuttle down to the planet with enough security forces to make himself comfortable.

The Joker and his men continue driving around the city looking for their next good time.

The Joker says, "I don't know about you boys but I am stuffed that was some pretty good stuff. Not worth dying for and certainly not better than Taco night at Arkham but it was good."

He shakes his head and says, "The night is young and so are we for the most part. What else can we do? Right now with the Bat population down and so forth we can do just about anything we want."

The Joker begins looking through the paper and asks, "Hey boys how about something sweet for our after dinner tastes?"

He holds up a picture of several beautiful women with the headline: Miss Gotham Pagent tonight at the Civic Auditorium.

They all smile and The Joker says, "I think we can all agree on that one! HA HA HA HA HA HA !"

OOC: Just realized Keyser and I are using the same font. So I've switched mine up

I smile at Bruce's greeting and shake his hand. I don't think too highly of Bruce Wayne as a man, personally. If his father saw ow he lives his life, he'd would undoubtedly be ashamed. But, despite his...extravagances, he runs a successful company, surrounds himself with smart people, and it's obvious, at least to me, that there more going on in that brain of his than he lets on. There's more to Bruce Wayne than the playboy the public sees.

"Hello, Bruce. Been a long time. Not since..." I snap my fingers. "Not since the Republican Convention. Looks like we both backed the wrong man. I told you we should have pooled our resources."

"Well, the best thing about politics is that another election's never more than a few years away. Or is that the worst thing? I can never tell..."

Bruce and Lex share a laugh, as Bruce leads them towards a pair of plush leather sofas set around a coffee table. They sit down across from each other.

"So, what's this I hear about you trolling the superhero community again? You're using lawsuits this time?"

Last edited:

The Joker and his men arrive at the Civic Center.

The Joker says, "Go around back by the loading dock."

As the van heads in that direction The Joker says, "They remodeled it since the last time I was here. Of course the last time I was here Batsy was chasing me because I had just blown up half of it."

One of his men looks at him and The Joker says, "I was in a rush otherwise I would've gotten the other half!"

The van stops and The Joker says, "Okay boys I think I've made a choice. Miss Emily Britton! Is our dessert for the evening good enough?"

They nod and The Joker says, "Oh all-right. If you want your own you can pick one your own. You've earned it boys! Keep in mind though once I've got mine we're leaving you're not ready you get left behind!"

The each one smile and nod. He hands them each a syringe and says, "In case they decide to put up a fight makes them easier to deal with."

He looks at the back entrance and says, "Okay let's go shopping!"

OOC: Previously...

The Home of Sebastian Faust
Front Lawn

"Let me get this straight...you are mad at me? I just saved your life!"

As Klarion acts like Lori is not there as children often do when they are upset and wish to ignore the instigator which upset them, Teekl hisses. Teekl is just one command away from transforming into its cat humanoid form and attacking Lori Zechlin with severe prejudice. Luckily for her...or perhaps Teekl such does not occur as the Witchboy finally replies.

"Being 'banned' from the Oblivion Bar is one thing, but to actually, literally, magically banned from it is another!"

"The fact that you manage to forget the fact that I saved your life astounds me. Even though it is you. And you have been nothing but uh...ugh. You know, I'm just going to drop it. You want to be pissed at me? I could care less. In exchange for making sure you stay put as they cast that seal around you so that you can never enter the Bar again, I got what I needed. If you choose to walk in with me or not, is irrelevant at this point. I'm done babysitting."

klarionpissed1.jpg

As Black Alice starts to walk up the steps to the condo, Klarion Bleak looks down to Teekl who wants nothing more than to claw at Lori, then looks at Lori herself as she approaches the door, and as she opens said door Klarion magically transports to be in front of her.

"After some small consideration...I would...I wish to thank you for looking out for me. Even if you did do it in a totally uncool way."

To be honest, Lori could care less if he had walked away that moment. She had gotten what she needed from him: access to the Oblivion Bar. Then playing part of his banishment from said magical premises granted her the location of Sebastian Faust. But it would seem that for some odd reason, still Klarion wishes to cling to her like a lost puppy.

Perhaps he truly does just need a friend like him.

*KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK*

"Oriental Express? It's open."

Looking at Klarion who simply shrugs, Lori is turns the doorknob and it is Teekl who pushes the door open as she meows. As they enter the condo and turn the corner they spot Sebastian in the kitchen.

sfaust1.jpg

"And it's kinda foolish of you to leave the door unlocked and let anyone waltz in."

Crossing her arms, Lori tries to keep herself composed as she didn't realize that Sebastian Faust would be...kinda cute.

"I can defend myself. You didn't like...beat up the chinese guy that was delivering my food so you could get in, did you? Because I really am freakin' starving."

*KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK*

"Oriental Express!"

"Ah, it's times like these that makes me think there is a God. One second, sit on a couch. And don't...don't mind the sack of bones. Something I'm working on. Nasty stuff you don't wanna get involved in."

As though it were nothing, the son of Felix Faust puts down the bone he was holding, and walks past Lori and Klarion. Before he makes it to the door Lori interjects, causing him to sigh.

"What? You're just going to welcome us in even though--"

"You're Lori Zechlin, aka Black Alice, and the dweeb with you is Klarion the Witchboy. I'm not concerned. Now just take a seat as I pay this guy and don't tip on account of the fact that 1) it's Chinese food and 2) the guy is late as hell."

"Help! Help! That man stole my purse!"

Barry Allen smiles as he slides to a stop . Not because this woman was mugged, but because all it was was a mugging. After having to deal with some of the freaks starting to show up in Central City, and that time he had the vibrate an entire plane through the bridge.

Boy, was that a story.

"I can help you, ma'am. Which way did he go? You know what, I'll find him. It'll just take an extra half second or so."

The man runs down the street, screaming at the top of his lungs.

"Monster! Monster! Help!!!"

A woman of indescribable beauty and power drops from the sky, softly touching down in front of the fleeing man. She puts a hand to his shoulder, stopping him in his tracks. In the other, her golden lasso stands ready.

"Where is the creature?"

The 12th street apartment complex had been burning for the last hour. The Coast City fire department had been fighting it valiantly, but it was a losing battle.

Then the sky filled with green light as a massive bucket holding water from the reservoir moves into position over heard.

"Ok, it's all clear!" The chief shouts into his radio and gives the signal.

Hal Jordan waves back, and starts opens holes in the bucket, letting a deluge of rain snuff out the flames below. In little time at all, the bulk of the building is saved, and all that's left is the clean up.

Hal talks with the Chief for a while as the clean up continues. One of the reporters on the sidelines shouts over the crowd, waving towards himself.

"Green Lantern! Green Lantern!"

Hal smiles and walks over. "Sorry, I don't do interviews."

"I'm not a reporter." The man pulls out an envelope and hands it to Jordan.

Hal takes the envelope, confused. "What-?"

"You've been served."

"Yeah, about that monster..." The man pulls out an envelope and gives it to Wonder Woman.

"You've been served."

"No, wait! Don't go!"

Barry stops before he can takes a step. "What's wrong? Did he hurt you?"

"No, I've got something for you." The woman pulls an envelope from under her coat...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"