Things they need to fix?

AVEITWITHJAMON

Badass Cloud
Reaction score
Was watching the first again tonight and while i still love it, i still thought there were some MAJOR problem's with it that can hopefully be fixed in the sequel. Here are mine:

Some Poor Wirework: Some of the wirework in the HB action scene's was both obvious and painful to watch, they REALLY need to fix this in the sequel as it took me out of the movie whenever it occured.

Left Hand Of Doom: Dont know if anyone else noticed this but sometimes Hellboy had a left hand of doom as opposed to a right one in the first movie. Again this was obvious and was also unneccessary IMO, I dont understand why they had to do it and i dont want to see it in the sequel.

Plotholes: I know every movie has them, but HB had some GAPING plotholes in it, from Abe escaping unscathed despite being surrounded by Sammael's, to Kroenin and Sammael trying to kill Hellboy when their master, Rasputin, obviously needed him and Liz alive.

CGI Hellboy: Again, sometimes i felt this was unneccessary, other times, not so much. But on occasion they could have still used a real actor intead of a CGI stand in in the movie. It not only dates the movie, but also, the CGI wasnt the best (due to budget i know), so hopefully we wont see as much of it in the sequel.

So those are things i want fixed for the sequel, anyone agree or have other suggestions? Let us hear them!

the make up appliance that goes on hellboys head (a baldcap with the horns) isnt seemless, literally. the seems are so clear and poorly hidden, so the makeup has some work ahead of it.

I could be wrong, but is there not only one shot where the Hand Of Doom goes left? And doesn't Abe spend the second half of the movie hospitalized (due to budget, fair enough) from his encounter with the monsties?

I could be wrong, but is there not only one shot where the Hand Of Doom goes left? And doesn't Abe spend the second half of the movie hospitalized (due to budget, fair enough) from his encounter with the monsties?

Yes, there is only one flipped scene for the RHoD in the first film. As for Abe ... his part in this film is huge - he's in almost every scene, and the storyline is delicious, I can tell ya. Very Mignola-esque, with wonderful critters and whirry-clockworky things, and - as always - things in jars.

As for HB's makeup - well, I was a foot away from Ron in full makeup on set as we talked, and it was gorgeous - seamless, immaculate, and un-nerving as all get out - it's a wee bit daunting having Hellboy standing next to you, Samaritan and all, and he's as real and as large as life. Impressive.

HM

Was watching the first again tonight and while i still love it, i still thought there were some MAJOR problem's with it that can hopefully be fixed in the sequel. Here are mine:

Some Poor Wirework: Some of the wirework in the HB action scene's was both obvious and painful to watch, they REALLY need to fix this in the sequel as it took me out of the movie whenever it occured.
I can only think of one instance? :huh:

Left Hand Of Doom: Dont know if anyone else noticed this but sometimes Hellboy had a left hand of doom as opposed to a right one in the first movie. Again this was obvious and was also unneccessary IMO, I dont understand why they had to do it and i dont want to see it in the sequel.
It WAS a right hand of doom. They even call it that in the movie. It was only his left hand in one shot where they flipped the film negative.

Plotholes: I know every movie has them, but HB had some GAPING plotholes in it, from Abe escaping unscathed despite being surrounded by Sammael's, to Kroenin and Sammael trying to kill Hellboy when their master, Rasputin, obviously needed him and Liz alive.
Abe was hospitalised, though.

CGI Hellboy: Again, sometimes i felt this was unneccessary, other times, not so much. But on occasion they could have still used a real actor intead of a CGI stand in in the movie. It not only dates the movie, but also, the CGI wasnt the best (due to budget i know), so hopefully we wont see as much of it in the sequel.
I thought the CGI was rather good, considering the budget it had.

So those are things i want fixed for the sequel, anyone agree or have other suggestions? Let us hear them!
No more dwelling on the love story. It's the only boring part of the first film.

I actually enjoyed the love story in HB. It was different than what you see in most other superhero movies. CG for the Hand was pretty bad when Hellboy crushed that red bull can.

Give Abe some more screentime!

---Morzan

I can only think of one instance? :huh:

I can think of a few.

It WAS a right hand of doom. They even call it that in the movie. It was only his left hand in one shot where they flipped the film negative.

I know it was a right hand of doom, but it was painfully obvious in the scene were it wasnt and i also dont see the need for it.

Abe was hospitalised, though.

Yes, but if you remember, Sammael egg's were hatching left, right and centre underwater, and the movie even showed 3/4 getting out of the water after Abe, how was he able to hide from them while injured?

It was a big plot hole.

I thought the CGI was rather good, considering the budget it had.

It was, but i thought there times when it was overused.

No more dwelling on the love story. It's the only boring part of the first film.

I personally thought it was one of the best love stories in a CB movie.

I didn't know where else to put this but I'm hoping to see more of Hellboy's hooves. There was only two shots of him with the hooves in the first movie. I like that look though. Just shorts and hooves right there. Hope we get more of the shorts, bare chest, and trenchcoat look. It's just such an odd design that it's cool as hell.

I didn't know where else to put this but I'm hoping to see more of Hellboy's hooves. There was only two shots of him with the hooves in the first movie. I like that look though. Just shorts and hooves right there. Hope we get more of the shorts, bare chest, and trenchcoat look. It's just such an odd design that it's cool as hell.
I thought they removed the hooves entirely? :huh:

Nope. It was in two shots. While Hellboy is lifting weights and his agent friend is talking to Myers and while he's reaching over for something in the background and there's a closeup of the tv with Liz's face on it. The hooves and shorts are right there in all their glory.

Nope. It was in two shots. While Hellboy is lifting weights and his agent friend is talking to Myers and while he's reaching over for something in the background and there's a closeup of the tv with Liz's face on it. The hooves and shorts are right there in all their glory.

They did actually try to do the hooves for real in the first film, but the design was so precarious and difficult, and would have caused Ron such terrible problems, that they decided to go with the leather pants and boots and do the hooves digitally.

HM

Ah. Yeah I figure something like that must be hell on the feet. Still it would be nice to see action scenes with him and the hooves. Always liked how weird and out of proportion they made him look. Guy has this huge upper body, an even bigger right hand, and these tiny legs. Then he wears shorts and a trenchcoat. It's so absurd that it's awesome and I hope we get to see him like that more often in the sequel.:woot:

Ah. Yeah I figure something like that must be hell on the feet. Still it would be nice to see action scenes with him and the hooves. Always liked how weird and out of proportion they made him look. Guy has this huge upper body, an even bigger right hand, and these tiny legs. Then he wears shorts and a trenchcoat. It's so absurd that it's awesome and I hope we get to see him like that more often in the sequel.:woot:

:wow: You know, to this day, i still have not noticed that, i'll have to check that out!

they figured out a cool way to do semi-practical hooves and inhuman legs for Pans Labrynth, where Doug Jones wore a prosthetic apparatus with blue tights over his normal legs so they could be removed in post. so maybe they'll carry that technique over to Hellboy.

That would be pretty cool but they seem pretty intent on keeping the leatherpants and boots. Which works because it's more money for other things anyway but I at least want one scene per movie establishing that he does have hooves.

That would be pretty cool but they seem pretty intent on keeping the leatherpants and boots. Which works because it's more money for other things anyway but I at least want one scene per movie establishing that he does have hooves.

After finally noticing it it isnt practical to have the hooves though IMO, how could he wear those boots with hooves?

After finally noticing it it isnt practical to have the hooves though IMO, how could he wear those boots with hooves?

If you look closely at HB's feet in the comics, he does wear footwear of sorts, and the cleats just encompass the toe-end half of his foot. The rest of it, the heel and ankle, is more human. So maybe he could wear boots. But the CG investment on having him with hooves in the film I think would be high, as he's in virtually every scene in the film.

HM

If you look closely at HB's feet in the comics, he does wear footwear of sorts, and the cleats just encompass the toe-end half of his foot. The rest of it, the heel and ankle, is more human. So maybe he could wear boots. But the CG investment on having him with hooves in the film I think would be high, as he's in virtually every scene in the film.

HM
After seeing Pan's Lab. I don't thionk hooves are out of the question, it we wanna really get into detail, Hellboy almost never wears a shirt, has solid yellow eyes, and has the Samaritan on his front belt buckle tilted to his left. But who cares?

I don't think you can really compare the guy's feet to whether he wears a shirt or not. :oldrazz: And he does wear the samaritan the same way that he does in the comic. That said, I would like to see the guy go shirtless more often. Show off those abs, man! :up:

they figured out a cool way to do semi-practical hooves and inhuman legs for Pans Labrynth, where Doug Jones wore a prosthetic apparatus with blue tights over his normal legs so they could be removed in post. so maybe they'll carry that technique over to Hellboy.
But Pan didn't have to do any running or ass-whooping, Hellboy does. This makes those prosthetics very difficult.

But Pan didn't have to do any running or ass-whooping, Hellboy does. This makes those prosthetics very difficult.

Exactly. Doug could do no more than walk very slowly in those legs, and more than once he actually fell because the floor was ever-so-slightly uneven - that's how clunky the legs were. And seven feet is a long way to fall.

I think a nod to the cloven hooves is enough, much like they did in the first film, and from what I've seen, HB is back in the leather pants and boots.

HM

I'd like to see it be a little more horror and a little less sci fi- In other words, a little more Mignola style, a little more macabre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"