Things to bear in mind when seeing X3...

X-Maniac

High Evolutionary
Reaction score
1) Reviewers have varied wildly - some hate Storm saying Halle is lightweight and unconvincing, others say she is excellent; one described McKellen as hammy, another said he held the movie together; one said the cure dilemma was swept aside, another said we see how it affects everyone's point of view... So, make your own mind up.. but observe everything, don't get distracted...get absorbed into the movie, try to experience it and not be constantly analytical...

2) As in the previous two movies, only main protagonists will be developed. Just as we knew virtually nothing about Toad, Sabretooth, Deathstrike, Mystique, Jubilee, Siryn, Artie, Jones, Flea in X1 and X2, and just as we didn't get origins for Xavier, Storm, Cyclops and Jean in X1 and X2. So characters like Callisto, Arclight, Quill, Psylocke, Phat, Spike, Multiple Man, Juggernaut perhaps even Angel and Beast, will NOT be given full-scale deep backstories. Bear that in mind. Some of these characters are henchmen - they are there because there is a war brewing and because Magneto is gathering an army, they are there as cannon fodder and also to show the scope of the mutant community. Don't expect to know everything about everyone you see - some are peripheral cohorts.

3) Remember what Storm was like previously - poor definition through dialogue that revealed very little strength of personality, motivation or characterisation. Remember what comicbook Storm is like - impassioned, opinionated (even intolerant), bound by a sense of duty and responsibility to use her powers for good in the wider world. Then assess the character and the performance; hopefully you can leave behind any preconceptions and existing resentments of the actress (who is never going to be in McKellen's league of Shakespearean strength and gravitas).

4) Focus on what you do like first, don't do what everyone seems to do today and go straight for the negatives.

Then tell us about it on here! Constructively, one hopes. 'OMG!11! Teh flik sucked' is not adequate and reveals more about the reviewer's failings than those of the movie.

This sounds like posturing. I will see the film. I will either like it, hate it or be indifferent. It's impossible for me not to be effected by the spoilers I've heard. The writers slapped the fans in the face, and I feel it will come back to bite them in the butt.

Tony Stark said:
This sounds like posturing. I will see the film. I will either like it, hate it or be indifferent. It's impossible for me not to be effected by the spoilers I've heard. The writers slapped the fans in the face, and I feel it will come back to bite them in the butt.

Not posturing at all. But if you don't have an open mind, you are never going to enjoy it. It sounds as though you've already made your mind up. So why bother going? Better to sit at home and snarl to yourself than be there huffing and puffing in an auditorium. There are a lot of masochists on here. They profess to hate something, but they keep coming back to it like moths to flame.

I was trying to instil some rationality into the proceedings. It's been sadly lacking on here, people are like flotsam on a tide, swung every which way by whatever some reviewer thinks, then swung the other way by another reviewer's varying viewpoint. It's a microcosm of neurotic America on here. You may have freedom of speech, but very few have freedom of thought - just flowing along with what others say as though its truth. Are people that rootless, that soulless?

There are 2 things that make me want to see this movie. 1.) Beast, 2.) IceMan

You can't get over the fact that they have made major deviations from the comic. I'm not saying the movie has to follow the books completely, but they should at least honor the comics. This movie says, "to hell with the comics," which is a slap in the face to the fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"