Thor: Love and Thunder | Official News and Speculation Thread

I don’t think Hemsworth was the issue for me, per se, but it’s nice that he’s not throwing others under the bus.

Tbh, I didn’t love Ragnarok either. In both cases, I liked the story beats—I just don’t always go along with Waititi’s style & humor. I don’t get what people loved about Ragnarok but didn’t like about Love & Thunder. To me, both movies felt very similar.

The tone balance that Taika was aiming for was a tall order from the start. It worked on Ragnarok, at least for me it did, but in Love and Thunder that balance just wasn't right and when it isn't right it is much more noticeable.
I came to appreciate L&T a bit more on subsequent rewatches but it still feels like a missed opportunity.

I liked Jane Foster finally getting in the action and getting a closure.

But there shouldn't have been a fourth Thor film. I'm thinking of the other films they could have done sooner instead of having a 4th Thor film in their line up. In away its how I feel with Black Widow the movie and Eternals the movie.

I don’t think Hemsworth was the issue for me, per se, but it’s nice that he’s not throwing others under the bus.

Tbh, I didn’t love Ragnarok either. In both cases, I liked the story beats—I just don’t always go along with Waititi’s style & humor. I don’t get what people loved about Ragnarok but didn’t like about Love & Thunder. To me, both movies felt very similar.

I think Ragnarok had a premise that suited Waititi's humor better, at least when it came to Thor ending up in Sakaar. It was fun seeing Thor pulled into a new environment full of wacky characters.

I do think Ragnarok would have benefited from keeping the humor a bit more contained to Sakaar though. Like there was no reason why Thor should suddenly act all quippy when fighting Surtur at the beginning, or for the seriousness of Asgard's destruction to be undercut by bathos. But with Love & Thunder that basically applies to the whole movie, there's no portion of the movie where wacky comedy feels like the appropriate tone given the context. Very much the opposite, in fact, when it comes to the gods...they should be awe inspiring, not a bunch of goofs and gags (or killed off screen to save screen time for more jokes).

Last edited:
I actually think the whacky tone very much fit Love & Thunder. The plot hinges on the disconnect between mankind and the Gods. That's Gorr's entire purpose in the movie. So it having dark undertones within the human part of the story in what is otherwise a whacky comedy very much fits that premise IMO. I think the film is tremendously underrated.

Last edited:
I actually think the whacky tone very much fit Love & Thunder. The plot hinges on the disconnect between mankind and the Gods. That's Gorr's entire purpose in the movie. So it having dark undertones within the human part of the story in what is otherwise a whacky comedy very much fits that premise IMO. I think the film is tremendously underrated.

I get what you're saying, but like, was that really the only way they could've shown a disconnect between the gods and humanity? I feel like there are other ways that would have won audiences over more.

I get what you're saying, but like, was that really the only way they could've shown a disconnect between the gods and humanity? I feel like there are other ways that would have won audiences over more.

Gorr’s opening scene showed the disconnect between Gods and mortals in a much better way than the rest of the movie did and it was a deadly serious scene.

He's being too critical. Whatever issues Love and Thunder has, they really have little to do with Hemsworth or Thor's character in general. Did Taika go a little too far with the wacky humor? Sure. Could there have been a lot more of Gorr? Absolutely. Neither of those were on Hemsworth.

As with anything, mileage varies. Probably could have been executed in a more satisfying manner for a larger portion of the audience, but I was personally satisfied with what they did

He's being too critical. Whatever issues Love and Thunder has, they really have little to do with Hemsworth or Thor's character in general. Did Taika go a little too far with the wacky humor? Sure. Could there have been a lot more of Gorr? Absolutely. Neither of those were on Hemsworth.
Yea I still say L&T was one of Hemsworth's best, possibly only below Infinity War imo
The movie had lots of issues (Very shoddy VFX, two large stories mashed together that needed time to breathe, with the biggest casualty being not enough Gorr, the screaming goat and jealous stormbreaker jokes being driven into the ground) but Hemsworth was the highlight throughout

Yea I still say L&T was one of Hemsworth's best, possibly only below Infinity War imo
The movie had lots of issues (Very shoddy VFX, two large stories mashed together that needed time to breathe, with the biggest casualty being not enough Gorr, the screaming goat and jealous stormbreaker jokes being driven into the ground) but Hemsworth was the highlight throughout
Hemsworth was fine, as were Portman and, as always, Tessa Thompson. IMO they kept the movie from veering completely off the rails. Portman clearly wanted to be there too because she wasn't phoning it in like in The Dark World, though I'm sure that was more out of protest at the movie losing Patty Jenkins as a director.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"