• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Thor: Love and Thunder - RATE AND REVIEW THREAD(TAG SPOILERS!)

Sif has, like, three lines.[/QUOTE]
What, she has one scene?

Overall another decent silly Thor adventure. I was surprised with what they did with Jane Foster. I surely thought that was going in a different direction. Christian Bale was great as Gorr, I enjoyed all his scenes.

I was disappointed that:

Thor's cool new helmet was just brought in as a joke. I thought finally at long last he would wear his helmet in battle. Ragnarok gladiator helmet doesn't count.

I hated this movie so much. This was the Batman and Robin of the MCU.

What makes it so much more infuriating is that there were so many interesting elements and themes in this movie that they failed to explore and capitalize on.

Batman & Robin was so cringe. None of the MCU movies have been cringe imo.
i would say the closest thing to an actual Batman & Robin of Marvel flicks was Elektra (Jennifer Garner) or perhaps the old Marvel movies from the 90s campy Fantastic Four and Captain America. None of the MCU films have been THAT bad. Ok Ang Lee’s Hulk was horrible lol

i would say the closest thing to an actual Batman & Robin of Marvel flicks was Elektra (Jennifer Garner) or perhaps the old Marvel movies from the 90s campy Fantastic Four and Captain America. None of the MCU films have been THAT bad. Ok Ang Lee’s Hulk was horrible lol
I kind of agree about Ang Lee's Hulk.
They, Tried,Though.
I Quite Like The Incredible Hulk.

I saw the film yesterday and I really enjoyed it.

It was interesting seeing it after having seen such diverse opinions and I was actually surprised to see much less goofy comedy than I expected. I thought Thor would be throwing balls into windows and having them bounce back into his head all the time, at least in the first half, but it wasn't like that.

It's still a very Taika Waititi film though, more than Ragnarok, and it showed both in comedy and in the serious elements. The cast all performed their roles very well and the biggest standout was Bale, whom I would have loved to see more of. Portman also definitely got to make her best performance in the MCU.

It had some great action and visuals, and it's great to see that they really embrace the cosmic and godly craziness of the Marvel universe. The comedy also mostly worked for me and, if it's anything like Guardians volume 2, I think the ones that worked less well will fade in importance on further watchings (I had more issues with the GotG2 comedy on the first viewing). The script could be made tighter in terms of flow in the story though and I think the biggest negative is that I think more Gorr would have been beneficial. I'm glad I have read the comic story since it feels like I'm mentally adding his work there to my experience here, filling things out a bit.

Just some short opinions to make this quick. I don't much like grading films overall, and I prefer the 5 graded scale to the 10, so I'll hold off on picking a number for now.

Last edited:
I saw the film yesterday and I really enjoyed it.

It was interesting seeing it after having seen such diverse opinions and I was actually surprised to see much less goofy comedy than I expected. I thought Thor would be throwing balls into windows and having them bounce back into his head all the time, at least in the first half, but it wasn't like that.

I've noticed this as well and it is strange. Ragnarok had more dumb Thor jokes than Love and Thunder. The stupid scene of him throwing the ball at the window and getting knocked over as you said. Also Thor bumbling some furniture off a shelf, Thor crying like a little girl when getting his hair cut, Thor screaming like a frightened kid when Grandmaster straps him in that chair. There is almost none of that self-deprecating humour in Love and Thunder even though Thor is more of a comedian but Id rather take that than him being visually humiliated over and over.

I've noticed this as well and it is strange. Ragnarok had more dumb Thor jokes than Love and Thunder. The stupid scene of him throwing the ball at the window and getting knocked over as you said. Also Thor bumbling some furniture off a shelf, Thor crying like a little girl when getting his hair cut, Thor screaming like a frightened kid when Grandmaster straps him in that chair. There is almost none of that self-deprecating humour in Love and Thunder even though Thor is more of a comedian but Id rather take that than him being visually humiliated over and over.

I agree. Also, Thor is more serious in certain scenes in this movie (especially the boat and hospital scenes with Jane), and her death scene, than I ever remember him being in Ragnarok.

I keep seeing Batman & Robin comparisons like it’s a bad thing. I’m one of the few Batman fans that absolutely love that movie (it’s an over the top 90s take on the ‘66 show!) so I’m kinda excited to see this movie. Ragnarok didn’t blow me away like it did everyone else, so maybe I’ll like this one better.

I should point out that my showing looked AWFUL. It was a location I usually don't go to; it was dark, the screen was small, I could barely see what was happening during the action beats, the sound was too damn low...
Honestly, I wish I was watching it in bed in my 65 inch 4K tv.
So, this definitely deserves a rewatch for me.

I should point out that my showing looked AWFUL. It was a location I usually don't go to; it was dark, the screen was small, I could barely see what was happening during the action beats, the sound was too damn low...

Were they the theaters showing it near you or something ?

Feels almost pointless when a cinema can barely beat a top home cinema experience. I’ve been to one that I felt was below par in the past too.

This is one reason I depend on IMAX for all shows I can. Theaters have a hard time keeping their regular tech up to snuff (thanks in no small part to COVID and mass layoffs in that department), but IMAX are precious enough about their brand to make sure theirs is kept in shape.

Were they the theaters showing it near you or something ?
No, no, I went to this one in particular because I went with a friend and it was closer. I usually go to a XD screen that looks and sounds fantastic. I won't make the same mistake again.

I love IMAX but there's only one screen in my entire country (luckily I'm one bus away) but it sells out in a heartbeat. I go there whenever I can.

No, no, I went to this one in particular because I went with a friend and it was closer. I usually go to a XD screen that looks and sounds fantastic. I won't make the same mistake again.

I love IMAX but there's only one screen in my entire country (luckily I'm one bus away) but it sells out in a heartbeat. I go there whenever I can.

Okay nice, what country do you live in?

SiX.

Jane was awesome but almost everything was undercooked. I didn't like the villain. This was a sophomore slump for the characters in TR. Well everybody could have used more scenes and character development.

Watched Love and Thunder again yesterday, it was MUCH better on rewatch and the first half is much less jarring.

Feels less like a parody, may increase my score to a 7.5 instead of a flat 7 (was actually closer to a 6.5 initially I just rounded up).

Last edited:

Yeah.

Batman and Robin was a total embarrassment which was derided by fans, film critics, audiences, and the press, in addition to hurting Joel Schumacer's career.

George Clooney is still apologizing for that film, and it really wasn't even his fault it turned out so bad.

That film basically killed the Batman franchise for several years.

Marvel Studios, nor even recent DC films with all their drama, has produced something like that with that type of fallout.

Fans today are lucky .:funny:.

I get there are marvel fans disappointed with the film , but even though I haven't seen Love and Thunder, but I can already say , it ain't Batman and Robin.:funny:

chill-out-mr-freeze-arnold.gif

batcard-batman.gif

skates.gif

NHPlQl.gif

Yeh that’s just a totally ridiculous and baseless comparison. Also interestingly enough the same was said about Ragnarok too when that came out. So yeh… go figure.

NewWatched Love and Thunder again yesterday, it was MUCH better on rewatch and the first half is much less jarring.

Feels less like a parody, may increase my score to a 7.5 instead of a flat 7.
Good to hear. Hopefully it improves for me too second time around.

I just saw Thor 4:

Pros:

Christian Bale as Gorr. Unsettling, somewhat sympathetic.

Visual Design eps the city, the black and white place

Jane Fosters role and resolution of her conflict

Cons
Valkyrie could have had some more screentime and I would have loved some romantic elements.

Gorrs origin could have been longer and more devastating with some other peeps on his planet. A certain character could have been shown in some happier situations before the dark stuff happened.

Outside of the GNR tunes, the music was lacking.

While I generally like MCU humor, I think sometimes it should be held back to let some sincere emotion through. Thor himself is getting a bit too goofy. If they do another one, I'd like it to be more serious like the first film.

I am generally a sentimental guy, but the ending didn't move much me as much I'd hoped. Part was because certain old characters hadn't been seen a while (9 years) and other were only in this movie for a limited time.

Overall: A decent film but not as good as Thor 3 and 1.
7.5/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"