Thor: Love and Thunder - RATE AND REVIEW THREAD(TAG SPOILERS!)

Yeah, this one just didn’t quite work for me I am afraid. I LOVED the Gorr run in the comics and thought it was all kinds of epic. I didn’t quite finish the Jane Foster run before seeing L&T but loved what I did read.

I thought combining the 2 was a good idea as there were some good story parallels. But for me Taika Waitit just wasn’t the guy for it. I thought Gorr was severely watered down which I expected to some extent, but not this much. Bale was great but felt a little wasted, and Gorr just didn’t feel the threat he did in the comics. I kinda wish they have saved Gorr and used Dario Agger or something instead for this.

Portman was game as Jane and her story was quite touching like the comics, but again they just didn’t go far enough with it for me and it felt the impact was missing.

A lot of the humour didn’t quite land for me either and Thor was just a bit too dude bro for me at times. Ragnarok just struck the balance so much better in that regard.

None of the action stood out at all either where as Ragnarok had a few outstanding sequences. I think the Gorr storyline and Jane Foster Thor storyline needed a more serious director who can balance humour and drama a bit better. I thought MoM was much better than this also despite having plenty of humour itself.

I think the cast definitely saved this movie as they were all great. Was great seeing eternity and omnipotence city also. But the movie should definitely have been longer.

Sad to say but 6.5/10 for me. Give me Ragnorak and the first Thor movie over L&T any day.

Honestly pretty disappointed in this one. It is a cluster f. Normally that wouldnt be enough to bother me but there are so many things in this that just did not work for me. And now it's got me rethinking MoM too.

Between LaT and MoM we have two pointless movies with almost zero-gravity.
Sure Jane dies at the end, but she goes to Valhalla. If Portman wants to return she can. Korg dies, but doesn't.

But I think the worst sin of this film is 30 untrained children being *gifted* the power of thor? As if Jane and Captain America aren't special in anyway?

What are they doing with these movies? Is this just jokes and goofy fun now? I remember the Russo brothers trying to give the MCU some weight. Hell even Ragnarok felt like something in certain moments (Odin's death at least).

Now it wasn't all bad, Bale's Gorr was pretty dang great. And that entire black and white battle sequence was top notch. But couldn't save an overall pretty lame movie.

Lightning didnt strike twice for Taika. Ranking pending. Something like a C or lower. Still processing. A little worried about the future of the MCU.

Honestly pretty disappointed in this one. It is a cluster f. Normally that wouldnt be enough to bother me but there are so many things in this that just did not work for me. And now it's got me rethinking MoM too.

Sure Jane dies at the end, but she goes to Valhalla. If Portman wants to return she can. Korg dies, but doesn't.

I think that was the point though. Portman agreed to come back and do this movie, but they had no idea if she'd agree to do more in the future. So they left Jane in a place where they can give her closure, but they also have the freedom to do more with her in the future if they so choose (and Natalie is willing to return).

I can't believe some of these reviews from you guys. The comedy was far better than Ragnarok, the serious moments were far more serious and heartbreaking. Plus, L&T didn't have a childish Hulk, which to me, was the worst part of Ragnarok.

I can't friggin wait for this movie to be on Disney Plus, so I can watch over and over again. Such a rockin movie from start to finish!

I can't believe some of these reviews from you guys. The comedy was far better than Ragnarok, the serious moments were far more serious and heartbreaking. Plus, L&T didn't have a childish Hulk, which to me, was the worst part of Ragnarok.

I can't friggin wait for this movie to be on Disney Plus, so I can watch over and over again. Such a rockin movie from start to finish!

They swapped him out for a [more] childish Thor.

It gets better on repeat viewings as well, I can see this jumping up to an 8 for me eventually.

It gets better on repeat viewings as well, I can see this jumping up to an 8 for me eventually.
Agreed, just saw it for a 3rd time, this one with the family. All had a great time with it. My aunt indeed loved those damn goats to pieces, lol. It only keeps going up in my estimation with each viewing thus far. So many nice, subtle touches I just adore.

Ok so, this is the first time that I feel like saying an MCU movie is outright bad. I completely understand that I’m grading these movies on a curve and that my own expectations have shifted over time but this one completely misses the mark for me.
I say this as someone who loved Ragnarok and is a Taika Waititi fan but this time I feel that the balance between his quirky comedy and the more tragic/epic elements needed to tell this story properly is simply not there. And not just that but the meme based jokes already feel dated and most of the very, very juvenile humour doesn’t land. I have nothing against dumb Thor and I believe that it gave us our best comedic moments in the MCU but we reached brain-dead Thor in this one and it doesn’t do it for me.
And it also doesn’t help that just as with the last Doctor Strange movie the story isn’t compelling enough or contributing enough towards the overarching narrative of both the main character’s arc and the overall story told in this phase of the MCU to elevate the movie.

First time Marvel Studios really messed up IMO and it doesn’t help that it comes after a mid-tier Doctor Strange sequel. As of late I have to say that I have been much more engaged by the stuff they put out on Disney + than by any of their Phase 4 movies save for Shang-Chi.

Ok so, this is the first time that I feel like saying an MCU movie is outright bad. I completely understand that I’m grading these movies on a curve and that my own expectations have shifted over time but this one completely misses the mark for me.
I say this as someone who loved Ragnarok and is a Taika Waititi fan but this time I feel that the balance between his quirky comedy and the more tragic/epic elements needed to tell this story properly is simply not there. And not just that but the meme based jokes already feel dated and most of the very, very juvenile humour doesn’t land. I have nothing against dumb Thor and I believe that it gave us our best comedic moments in the MCU but we reached brain-dead Thor in this one and it doesn’t do it for me.
And it also doesn’t help that just as with the last Doctor Strange movie the story isn’t compelling enough or contributing enough towards the overarching narrative of both the main character’s arc and the overall story told in this phase of the MCU to elevate the movie.

First time Marvel Studios really messed up IMO and it doesn’t help that it comes after a mid-tier Doctor Strange sequel. As of late I have to say that I have been much more engaged by the stuff they put out on Disney + than by any of their Phase 4 movies save for Shang-Chi.
I would go so far as to say this is the biggest mess up since Thor 2.

It's really a shame because Taika really did such an amazing job with Ragnarok.

But I think the worst sin of this film is 30 untrained children being *gifted* the power of thor? As if Jane and Captain America aren't special in anyway?

What are they doing with these movies? Is this just jokes and goofy fun now? I remember the Russo brothers trying to give the MCU some weight. Hell even Ragnarok felt like something in certain moments (Odin's death at least).

Now it wasn't all bad, Bale's Gorr was pretty dang great. And that entire black and white battle sequence was top notch. But couldn't save an overall pretty lame movie.

Lightning didnt strike twice for Taika. Ranking pending. Something like a C or lower. Still processing. A little worried about the future of the MCU.

The end battle with the kids pissed me off. We're talking dumb, mindless Saturday morning cartoons stuff done to appease the Mouse execs. I couldn't wait to get out of the theater at that point.

100% agreed.

I think it's clear Taika's ego has exploded beyond repair and I have zero faith in the 5th sequel at this point. I can't even emphasize just how disappointed I am in what we got and I don't need to see it again to try and convince myself otherwise. Would be a total waste of my money and time.

It was my last hope given that I've been bored to tears by the lack of quality control in Phase 4 and the Disney+ crap. Not sure this universe is for me anymore tbh and it sucks because it was one of those things I really looked forward to. Now it's just a cinematic fast food chain that used to be boutique.

I would have to agree. Had very similar experiences with both TDW and L&T. I somewhat enjoyed both in the cinema despite some disappointment. But with both movies when I got home and thought about them, they just got worse and worse in my head.

100% agreed.

I think it's clear Taika's ego has exploded beyond repair and I have zero faith in the 5th sequel at this point. I can't even emphasize just how disappointed I am in what we got and I don't need to see it again to try and convince myself otherwise. Would be a total waste of my money and time.

It was my last hope given that I've been bored to tears by the lack of quality control in Phase 4 and the Disney+ crap. Not sure this universe is for me anymore tbh and it sucks because it was one of those things I really looked forward to. Now it's just a cinematic fast food chain that used to be boutique.

Between Ragnarok, Infinity War, and Endgame we had a truly lovable Thor with a common thread of badassery. Now his universe is just a joke with piss-poor punchlines.

I do hope Feige rights this ship and we see a Thor 5 that culminates in all the best parts. But... my expectations are low at this point.

I do agree, Disney is sucking the life out of post-Infinity Saga MCU. I came home after seeing Love and Thunder (during a thunderstorm no less) and said a small goodbye to this part of my youth. I'm sure it sounds dramatic, but Marvel...

star-wars-you-are.gif

The end battle with the kids pissed me off. We're talking dumb, mindless Saturday morning cartoons stuff done to appease the Mouse execs. I couldn't wait to get out of the theater at that point.
That’s a bit much.

I actually thought that Thor basically becoming Odin and empowering the kids so they could defend themselves, coupled with the music choice and fun badass things the kids where doing was a nice touch and Sort of similar to the bridge scene in Ragnarok.

That’s a bit much.

I actually thought that Thor basically becoming Odin and empowering the kids so they could defend themselves, coupled with the music choice and fun badass things the kids where doing was a nice touch and Sort of similar to the bridge scene in Ragnarok.
Same. It’s one of my favorite scenes of any Thor movie.

I'm in no way at the point of no-return with Marvel Studios, but I do think they're throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks and, naturally, some things will stick and some others won't. The quality has dropped significantly after Endgame. Nothing truly bad so far, but...!

I don't know what the reviews were talking about. It's like I watched a different movie. While not perfect, with moments in the first act that can be a little indulgent, this was really good! Out of the few things I've seen in Phase 4, it's by far my favorite thing yet. This reminded me of why I liked the MCU in the first place. The attention to character.

Even with the indulgences and humor, the anarchy of some of it all is so refreshing. Waititi uses Thor as a means to tell his own story. But Taika is still a good writer who knows how to tell a story about Thor finding love. Nothing huge or status quo shifting, but large for the character of Thor and that's what matters. There is a balance of the dramatic and the funny, creating something sweet and heartfelt. The relationship between Thor and Jane was great. Jane is an actual good character who also had to make a choice about love herself. It was refreshing to see a genuine love story and not creepy chaste, platonic relationships modern blockbusters insist on.

At this point let Taika do whatever the hell he wants as long as he wants. It's the only interesting thing Marvel has going for it. Because of Taika and Hemsworth, Thor is now the best character in the MCU.

Love and Thunder is not a perfect film by any means, but some of you are being a tad bit extreme.

I will grant a few things...
- There were definitely scenes I liked.
particularly the black and white battle sequence
- Gorr was a solid addition.
- Natalie Portman did well with what she was given.

Don't get me wrong this movie is still miles above what we used to see in the 2000s marvel movies. Its no Elektra or X-Men Origins. It was definitely lacking though.

And I will reiterate my biggest gripe is that they are just tearing down any sense of gravity the universe had.
Killing off characters willy nilly like Jane, Korg... sometimes minutes after being introduced (Zeus) and often for comedic effect.... not to mention the entire illuminati. When Stark died, I felt something. When Yinsen died, I felt something. When Peter got dusted even... I felt something. Can they please go back to that kind of movie? Bring back the Russos.

Love and Thunder is not a perfect film by any means, but some of you are being a tad bit extreme.

As fans , we tend to grade these film much harder than the average Joe or Jane who goes to the movies.

At the same time, Marvel has close to a couple decades worth of very good will with the GA.
That's very hard to shake, even with a film that fandom and geek pundits may consider below par.

The Marvel Studio brand pretty much guarantee's , at the very least, you'll probably have fun for a couple hours.

For alot of people, that's good enough .

That can be hard for alot of fans to except at times, since we take these films so seriously.

But sometimes, people just appreciate being entertained for an afternoon or evening and they aren't gonna obsess about what the film did or didn't do, or what it should or shouldn't have done.

That's just how it is alot of times for general audiences.

I will grant a few things...
- There were definitely scenes I liked.
particularly the black and white battle sequence
- Gorr was a solid addition.
- Natalie Portman did well with what she was given.

Don't get me wrong this movie is still miles above what we used to see in the 2000s marvel movies. Its no Elektra or X-Men Origins. It was definitely lacking though.

And I will reiterate my biggest gripe is that they are just tearing down any sense of gravity the universe had.
Killing off characters willy nilly like Jane, Korg... sometimes minutes after being introduced (Zeus) and often for comedic effect.... not to mention the entire illuminati. When Stark died, I felt something. When Yinsen died, I felt something. When Peter got dusted even... I felt something. Can they please go back to that kind of movie? Bring back the Russos.

Neither
Zeus or Korg are dead though.

Agreed, just saw it for a 3rd time, this one with the family. All had a great time with it. My aunt indeed loved those damn goats to pieces, lol. It only keeps going up in my estimation with each viewing thus far. So many nice, subtle touches I just adore.
Some people online have said this film is the MCU's Batman & Robin.I take it, you would disagree with that?

Neither
Zeus or Korg are dead though.

That was his point, people dying and coming back in the exact same movie lowered the stakes big time.

Some people online have said this film is the MCU's Batman & Robin.I take it, you would disagree with that?

It’s no where near B&R. But I gotta be honest I have not been this disappointed in a CBM in a good while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"