Thor: Love and Thunder - RATE AND REVIEW THREAD(TAG SPOILERS!)

Zeus staying dead wouldn't have had any effect on the third act of the movie, since he wasn't in it in any case lol. And as I said, its far from certain that Jane will return in the future. Its definitely possible (and I sure as hell hope she does, because Jane Foster is awesome!) but Natalie Portman has herself said that she currently has no idea if she'll be playing Jane again.

So its really only Korg that counts as a true fake death that affects the movie.

Except it really isn't. MoM was the sixth MCU property to feature Lizzie Olsen as Wanda. It wouldn't be unheard of to think that she might die at that point.

And again I raise the question: would you be Ok with bringing back Tony Stark simply because he's a popular character?

I never said Zeus staying ded would effect the 3rd act. But it lowers the stakes as he is yet another character that seemingly died and came back. And Jane definitely counts as they have left the door open for her to return. Of course Portman says she doesn't know if she will be back. Lizzie Olsen has said the same but we know she will. Also no way they are gonna let SW die as a villain. So no I don't think it's quite the same as the fake outs in L&T.

No I wouldn't be okay with Stark coming back as it would cheapen the ending of Endgame. It's my whole complaint about this movie. SW also died in a much less definitive way.

Just saw it then and really enjoyed it. My only criticism would be that clearly not every joke landed. But I liked that it was just a nice, character driven and self contained story about love. After reading critical reviews, I went in thinking it was going to be pretty light and superficial but still came away surprised by the nice character shifts.

The backlash against Waititi is silly, I reckon. I think too many Marvel fans take this stuff far too seriously. The comics were always like this, sometimes varying wildly tonally based on who was writing or drawing/painting. This movie was a great example of the kind of nice, spin-off comic stories Marvel sometimes experiment with, that end up being really nice changes of pace in amongst all the more serious stuff.

With this film, I thought it was light and goofy, but still dramatic and hefty where it counted, with dynamic action and visual spectacle where that counted too. Liked the shorter length as well.

I've noticed this as well and it is strange. Ragnarok had more dumb Thor jokes than Love and Thunder. The stupid scene of him throwing the ball at the window and getting knocked over as you said. Also Thor bumbling some furniture off a shelf, Thor crying like a little girl when getting his hair cut, Thor screaming like a frightened kid when Grandmaster straps him in that chair. There is almost none of that self-deprecating humour in Love and Thunder even though Thor is more of a comedian but Id rather take that than him being visually humiliated over and over.

I think what's happened is that people, at least online, have been becoming less tolerant of MCU humor in general.

And Jane definitely counts as they have left the door open for her to return.

How is the door opened for her to return? All they showed was that she went to the asgardian afterlife rather than the human afterlife. As of now the door is no more open for her than any dead asgardian. If they want to bring her back they'll actually have to actively open the door by establishing a way for asgardians to come back to life, which they haven't yet done in the MCU.

Last edited:
How is the door opened for her to return? All they showed was that she went to the asgardian afterlife rather than the human afterlife. As of now the door is no more open for her than any dead asgardian. If they want to bring her back they'll actually have to actively open the door by establishing a way for asgardians to come back to life, which they haven't yet done in the MCU.

You kinda answered the question yourself. They haven't don't that in the MCU YET. But by showing her going to Valhalla they have left the door open IMO.

With different god realms now becoming involved, there are ways they could bring her back.

You kinda answered the question yourself. They haven't don't that in the MCU YET. But by showing her going to Valhalla they have left the door open IMO.

With different god realms now becoming involved, there are ways they could bring her back.

The door is just as open for any other dead character, because they could just as easily be revived by introducing a way to be revived.

The existence of an afterlife does not in and of itself indicate that anyone can be revived from the afterlife.

The door is just as open for any other dead character, because they could just as easily be revived by introducing a way to be revived.

The existence of an afterlife does not in and of itself indicate that anyone can be revived from the afterlife.

To be fair, we did see in Moon Knight that its possible to return from an afterlife (the Field of Reeds, not Valhalla, admittedly), so it wouldn't be totally without precedent.

Yeah, TBH I think the Valhalla scene is a "Just in case" card that Marvel is playing haha. We already saw that Chris Hemsworth AND Taika didn't know about the "Thor will return" end tag. So my guess is, Marvel is hedging their bets just in case Hemsworth doesn't return for another film, they can still use Mighty Thor.

To be fair, we did see in Moon Knight that its possible to return from an afterlife (the Field of Reeds, not Valhalla, admittedly), so it wouldn't be totally without precedent.

But that just furthers the point that the door is equally open to anyone who dies. It's nothing specific to Valhalla.

I find it funny how we try to explain the rules when we know they can do whatever the f they want and it doesn't matter if it lines up or not. They're gonna bring everyone back. Even after an actor's real death, they keep bringing characters back.

I disagree buddy. Showing Jane going to the Afterlife leaves a door open for me. Especially when we haven't seen any other characters go there previously.

It's a way to bring her back if they wish to in my eyes. Especially in a franchise with space dolphins and screaming goats.

I disagree buddy. Showing Jane going to the Afterlife leaves a door open for me. Especially when we haven't seen any other characters go there previously.

It's a way to bring her back if they wish to in my eyes. Especially in a franchise with space dolphins and screaming goats.

None of that explains how the door is any more open for Jane than anyone else. If anything the door would be even more open if she went to the human afterlife, since, as someone pointed out, Moon Knight already established a way for people to return from the human afterlife.

None of that explains how the door is any more open for Jane than anyone else. If anything the door would be even more open if she went to the human afterlife, since, as someone pointed out, Moon Knight already established a way for people to return from the human afterlife.

Not to mention that the multiverse already has opened the door for exactly everything with every character. One doesn't open a door that's already open.

I just see the Valhalla scene as paying respect to Jane and showing that she was held in high honor for her sacrifice in battle, giving the audience a reason to smile in the sadness of her passing.

Not to mention that the multiverse already has opened the door for exactly everything with every character. One doesn't open a door that's already open.

I just see the Valhalla scene as paying respect to Jane and showing that she was held in high honor for her sacrifice in battle, giving the audience a reason to smile in the sadness of her passing.

Exactly, at this point anyone they want to bring back to life can be brought back any number of ways. Showing Jane in Valhalla doesn't give her an extra way to come back to life, it just means that she was considered to be an asgardian who had died an honorable warrior's death.

I don't agree buddy it's as simple as that.

She went to an afterlife of the Gods who come back from the dead all the time in the comics.

Moon Knight was also based around the Egyptian god's and ways back from death.

I don't agree buddy it's as simple as that.

She went to an afterlife of the Gods who come back from the dead all the time in the comics.

Moon Knight was also based around the Egyptian god's and ways back from death.

Everyone comes back from the dead all the time in the comics. It's half a step away from DBZ in terms of bringing people back to life.

Everyone comes back from the dead all the time in the comics. It's half a step away from DBZ in terms of bringing people back to life.

And again that's kinda the point. People don't want the movies going like the comics in that regard and for some L&T is like that.

And again that's kinda the point. People don't want the movies going like the comics in that regard and for some L&T is like that.

L&T didn't establish anything about Valhalla being a way to come back to life, though. The whole point of Valhalla is that it's a place where honorable warriors go when they fall in battle. It's supposed to be an honor to go there, that's why Sif was so eager about it. The point isn't supposed to be that you eventually get to come back to life.
L&T did add an extra way for people to come back to life in the MCU (in addition to the previously established ways we saw in Endgame and Moon Knight), but it was unrelated to Valhalla (rather it's shown that Eternity can bring someone back to life).

In all honestly, at this point it's firmly established in the MCU that souls exist, that they go to various afterlives when a person dies, and that any suffiently powerful entity can restore a person's soul to their body. But it's not established that being in Valhalla makes this any more likely to happen.

Last edited:
L&T didn't establish anything about Valhalla being a way to come back to life, though. The whole point of Valhalla is that it's a place where honorable warriors go when they fall in battle. It's supposed to be an honor to go there, that's why Sif was so eager about it. The point isn't supposed to be that you eventually get to come back to life.
L&T did add an extra way for people to come back to life in the MCU (in addition to the previously established ways we saw in Endgame and Moon Knight), but it was unrelated to Valhalla (rather it's shown that Eternity can bring someone back to life).

In all honestly, at this point it's firmly established in the MCU that souls exist, that they go to various afterlives when a person dies, and that any suffiently powerful entity can restore a person's soul to their body. But it's not established that being in Valhalla makes this any more likely to happen.

I didn't say L&T established Valhalla as somewhere every character comes back from.

As I said in my very first post on the matter it felt like to me, and others on this thread who have mentioned it also, that it was put in as a doorway for Jane to come back if they go that route. You arguing with me doesn't make me think otherwise so let's agree to disagree.

To start off, as someone who was pretty "meh" on Ragnarok, I was genuinely surprised by how much I enjoyed this movie. I get the criticisms, it moves at a pretty fast pace, definitely could have used some extra time. But I enjoyed it. Once they got Chris Pratt off my screen, I was good to go. My big issue was I wanted more Jane and Valkryie, specifically the two of them interacting together more. It looked like they had a fun friendship. Plus, I'm bummed to learn they cut Jane's first transformation.

Also, big shout out to Giacchino, as I loved the score to this movie. Specifically the new Thor theme. Hope they keep that around.

Definitely felt like the humor was used much better here, and more well placed than in Ragnarok. Waititi I think was also able to create a better threat here with Gorr. Mainly, Gorr received more focus than Hela did. The god world was more of a way stop than the Collector's world was. And of course, Jane was much better companion than Banner/Hulk. The use of the kids was definitely key to hammering the threat. I think the audience cares more about the kids than Gorr's goal of killing all the gods, so that was a smart choice. And Thor making a bunch of little kid Thors was great. I can see why the "comic books r srs bznss" types would hate that.

I will say, I was spoiled on the ending with Jane. And I was dreading it. But, to Waititi's credit, it played out much better than I expected it to. Still pissed they killed Jane, but not quite as angry as i expected. Plus the ending with Gorr's daughter was amazing. So, when are we getting Cap's grandaughter?

Also glad to see that Chris was able to get a job for the least Hemsworth. Even with a blonde dye job. I loled.

I also want to say, that is seems clear that Waititi tried to be inclusive in this film. But the higher ups invtervened. So, Marvel still getting a lot of side eye from me. Definitely think someone was scared of Axle.

Though, Waititi did let me down in one big aspect. Give me the full name of the sword. :argh::argh::argh:

I did not get Bale dramatically calling it "All-Black, the Necrosword, the Annihiblade, Slicer of Worlds, the Godkiller.

I loved Bale and could have used more god-butchering.
I really did not like the stuff with Stormbreaker having emotions and all the dumb conversations Thor had with it and Mjolner. Also, I've never really liked Korg. So...a lot of the humor stuff didnt land with me.

Not the worst film in the MCU...but I have no desire to revisit it.

I’m going to see it again today. :yay:

Back from my second viewing. :yay:
Interesting experience the second time around, i found it still funny in parts but i also thought it was quite more serious and dramatic than i remembered. Overall i had a good time, the chock and awe was definitely partially subdued but i still laughed, enjoyed the music/action, got goosebumps and it was very touching several times.

Thor - Chris Hemsworth is so good, so charismatic as Thor and a lot of fun. He pulls off the oddball comedy so well, he delivers the dramatic beats and the cool stuff too. You just wanna sheer for the character and want him to be happy. Overall i thought Thor was really cool, his power displays, the way he pulls off those fighting moves and feats. Powered up Thor never gets old. His relationship with Jane was a big highlight this time around. Beautiful stuff. Taika really manages to pull off a lot of great looking stuff with Thor.

Natalie Portman - She was great. I bought into a lot of what they where going for and her relationship with Thor was so sweet and meaningful. Natalie Portman got her redemption, i thought she did a really good job specially with the more dramatic and serious stuff. Happy with her performance and very happy to see their relationship tied in a tidy bow.

Gorr - Bale shined once again. He did alot of heavy lifting and did the most with what he had. He looked so good when he was coming out of the shadows, so freaky, with a skull-like figure and the way he showed up and disappeared out of knowere, i really liked his fighting moves and how he used the All Black. Also i understood a lot more of his arc and how things played out from the very beginning to the end.

Valkyrie - Appreciated more her the second time around, she's really good as the character... Just a shame that she didn't get as much to do this time around, she should've gotten a better storyline/arc.

Korg - Was kind of there for the most part. The best thing was the narration, otherwise he barely added anything, i chuckled a few times but he was sort of forgettable in this.

Zeus - Ridiculously funny. That decadent portrayal was a very interesting and strong choice. One that actually impacts not only that sequence but also how we perceive Gorr's own quest.

To wrap it up, i don't think it's great or as good as Ragnarok but it's good enough in my book. I'll still watch this over countless other MCU films, it's probably in my Top 10, there's enough bright spots worth of a decent to good rating. I understood much more of the overall story, it's all there from the very beginng and there's a ton of references throughout the film that perfectly explain how it plays out. Overall it's both silly and serious, childish and also very adult. It doesn't all come together well but it's a solid watch.

Between Ragnarok, Infinity War, and Endgame we had a truly lovable Thor with a common thread of badassery. Now his universe is just a joke with piss-poor punchlines.

I do hope Feige rights this ship and we see a Thor 5 that culminates in all the best parts. But... my expectations are low at this point.

I do agree, Disney is sucking the life out of post-Infinity Saga MCU. I came home after seeing Love and Thunder (during a thunderstorm no less) and said a small goodbye to this part of my youth. I'm sure it sounds dramatic, but Marvel...

star-wars-you-are.gif

Diving back here. This is where I've been since 2019, where my fiance and I almost walked out of Endgame. Endgame in my eyes was a chaotic flooded mess and just a messy movie that felt like a dream, at that point I realized I was done spending money on the MCU. As you get older your taste changes. The MCU genuinely does not produce quality content anymore, and it's all formulaic predictible and Disnified. Outside of Spiderman, I haven't spent any money since Endgame, and based on what I'm seeing here, that's not going to change. I'll wait for it to show up on Disney plus.

I've read A LOT of Thor comics.

What the MCU is doing..that's not Thor.

I finally got the chance to see this movie and ohhh boy, Phase 4 isn't really looking good for me right now.

Most of the Jane scenes are cringe and for some reason, I already grew tired of seeing Valkyrie on the screen.

The jokes fell flat most of the time and the only time I heard someone laugh is when
Korg intruduced Dwayne.

The scene with the kids charging on those shadow thingies is another cringe moment in MCU history.

There are a lot of wasted/missed opportunities as well such as

Thor's armor & helmet: It took us more than 5 movies before we get to see what most of the Thor fans want since Phase 1. I understand that as the star of the movie, they need to show his face on screen and this version of Thor is somewhat based on the Ultimate version, but Cap was able to pull it off as well as Ant-Man.

Sif: We finally get to see Sif in her almost comic book-accurate costume. Too bad we only get to see it for less than a minute. Anyway, I'm happy she didn't die so there's still a chance we can see her in future Marvel movies.

Gorr: I hope they didn't kill him and there was a different ending so we can see him in the MCU again. He's on par with Hela but more creepy and sinister and I really like Bale's performance here.

The only thing that I liked the most is the battle between the 3 of them vs Gorr as it was well done in my opinion.

So far, the only Phase 4 movies that I enjoyed are MoM and the Spidey one.

To all movie or TV experts out there, is there another director that you think can handle a Thor movie that will take the character seriously?

I'm afraid to say that the more I've thought about this movie over the past 2 weeks, the more angry and bitter I feel.

I honestly wish this film had never been made. At least then I wouldn't have been so bitterly disappointed by it.

I really feel that Marvel knew they had a dumpster fire on their hands and that's why they gave it such a curtailed marketing campaign. You can tell that they feel a lot more confident about Wakanda Forever and that that's why they're giving it a proper marketing campaign.

And as someone who is actually a fan of Jane as a character, it honestly sucks that they brought her back just to
kill her off.

I'd rather have just been left alone with my head canon.

And last but not least: get Taika Waititi the heck away from this franchise.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"