Thor's return?

Still A ThorFan

Sidekick
Reaction score
I know Donald Blake made an appearance in FF 537, so does anyone have any updates? I haven't been reading the civil war series so I'm not sure if I missed anything else regarding Thor.

He finally lifted the hammer in Fantastic Four #538. This was after evading the long line of men waiting to have a chance at lifting it and beating some of them with his hand bag.

Xofenroht said:
He finally lifted the hammer in Fantastic Four #538. This was after evading the long line of men waiting to have a chance at lifting it and beating some of them with his hand bag.
I know that was cool I'm SO glad that decided to add FF to my pull list because KNOWONE told me about this at my LCS I found out by reading the comic!! THANK THE GODS THOR'S BACK!!!!!!!!!!

we haven't actually seen him yet

he went for the Hammer, and then there was a bright flash of light... but we still haven't actually seen him

Elijya said:
we haven't actually seen him yet

he went for the Hammer, and then there was a bright flash of light... but we still haven't actually seen him
I know but I'm just chomping at the bits

Why is Thor's return being written in FF? Its like those issues with The Hulk. JMS seems to need guest starts to move his stories along on FF.

It'll probably be another month or two before THOR himself actually makes an appearance. This was just the setup.

Darthphere said:
Why is Thor's return being written in FF? Its like those issues with The Hulk. JMS seems to need guest starts to move his stories along on FF.
::shurg:: why not? what's wrong with it being told there?

Elijya said:
::shurg:: why not? what's wrong with it being told there?

I dont know, it seems odd. Its Thor for god's sake, his return deserves better IMO, but its been a pretty good arc so far. Just asking.

Where else could his return be set up though?New Avengers is always busy with it's current cast.The main CW book is pretty packed as well.ASM wouldn't make sense,plus they're really focusing on Peter in those.FF seems like the only "flagship" title where they could get away with it,since the FF are big players in the main book.

Millar recently denied Thor's return in #3 on his forums.I don't know if he was just joking around or what not.There's also been alot of talk about page 7 in CW #3.The mods who have seen the issue have not stopped talking about the multiple amazing panels on this page.I wonder what it is.

Nah, Thor doesn't strike me as the imaginaut type.

Thor's a warrior, not an explorer. The FF are all about pushing the limits of the imagination. Thor wouldn't care about that.

I don't see any logical reason for Thor's return to be taking place in FF either, other than that Doom's return was tied to it and it started in the FF comic. Maybe JMS just felt he could tell it best or something.

Either way, I'm still hoping we get some kind of explanation for why Donald Blake is there and how he ties into Thor.

Where else could they do it though?I can't name another title which could take time out for a pre-Thor's return story.

why was thor originally cancelled? bad sales? and i know that michael avon oeming was involved somehow. did he pencil or write the series as it ended? just curious.

Well, FF have had quite a few heroes not only begin in thier series, but, one of which also was reborn there too. Jean Grey was brought back in FF also, they're just taking there time with Thor. :D

Well, Jean Grey returned in the FF too, after she first died. The FF seem to have a tradition for that sort of thing.

CORNRUS said:
Oneshot?, oops I thought you were talking to me Bartbeer.

You know on the price is Right that music they play after you lose a game, thats what I hear in my head reading this.

They way I remember the story, Jean was seriously injured, but did not die, because the Chaos force saved her but she had to heal in the cocoon, and while she was in the cocoon "Pheonix" took her place.
The thing that had me confused was that the Cocoon looked like HIM/Warlock's cocoon which was human made.

MyPokerShirt said:
why was thor originally cancelled? bad sales? and i know that michael avon oeming was involved somehow. did he pencil or write the series as it ended? just curious.
Mike Oeming wrote the final arc of Thor's series. As far as I know, sales on Thor were quite healthy--healthier, in fact, than Captain America and Iron Man, both of which were only canceled to be revived in new series, with new #1 issues that would generate interest, a short time later. Based on Joe Q's comments and the fact that Thor's sales weren't low, the only reason I can think of that his series was canceled is because no one really knew what to do with him. Joe Q mentioned on several occasions that Thor didn't "fit" in the Marvel universe (which we all know is utter trash, since he fit just fine for 30 years).

But I'm not bitter. :o

Vartha said:
They way I remember the story, Jean was seriously injured, but did not die, because the Chaos force saved her but she had to heal in the cocoon, and while she was in the cocoon "Pheonix" took her place.
The thing that had me confused was that the Cocoon looked like HIM/Warlock's cocoon which was human made.

It's been a long time but I think Jean's cocoon was first found or at least seen in an Avengers issue (by Namor I think?) then they carried the story on in FF. Having the ret-con that the Phoenix seen up until then was never really Jean at all was their way of bringing her back whilst excusing her for the billions she murdered as Dark phoenix (that crime being the reason Marvels editorial & writers argued their way into killing her in the first place). DC took a similar route with their recent ressurrection of Hal Jordan.

Afaik theres never been an explanation as to why that cocoon looked exactly like Warlocks. My guess at the time was either simple misdirection or the artist who drew it in Avengers (John Buscema) just drew what was in the script and referenced the Warlock design when doing it.

TheCorpulent1 said:
Mike Oeming wrote the final arc of Thor's series. As far as I know, sales on Thor were quite healthy--healthier, in fact, than Captain America and Iron Man, both of which were only canceled to be revived in new series, with new #1 issues that would generate interest, a short time later. Based on Joe Q's comments and the fact that Thor's sales weren't low, the only reason I can think of that his series was canceled is because no one really knew what to do with him. Joe Q mentioned on several occasions that Thor didn't "fit" in the Marvel universe (which we all know is utter trash, since he fit just fine for 30 years).

Nothing to be bitter about. It's all justified.

TheCorpulent1 said:

Well the thing about that is.. well.... he kinda doesnt. I'm not saying there isnt a place for him, but in a world thats a majority of science accidents and relatively low level fighters, where do you put a literal god who could take out the Man of Steel himself? Sure he's one of the key Avenger members, but what does it tell you that he constantly had to be written at a fraction of his abilities to tell a decent story? Personally, he always felt somewhat out of place in most stories not taking place in his own title.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"