TMNT Box Office Predictions and Discussion

It wasn't kids seeing 300.

It was all the teens and young adults blogging on myspace.

I know. Just the execs behind TMNT in a way believed the overwhelming majority of their audience was going to be kids, and I'd argue that it was 55/45 at best. And older audiences, teen to late twenties, would demand more of the plot. That is not to say that the busy weekend, the lack of promotion and the age of the franchise were not also factors. They all were.

I saw the movie twice and I can say that most of the kids who wanted to see it saw it the first weekend, and from there the audiences dipped older. Even then, the ratio seemed to look about 50/50, with a lot of teenagers and people in their twenty's there. This is ancedotal evidence of course. TMNT wasn't as goofy as the last few movies, which was good. It had real character moments and a lot going on. But that damned video game stone warrior plot really bogged the flick down, and if they'd dealt on fleshing out everything else, it'd have been a stronger film and might have done better.

I used 300 as an example because many film-makers believe that R rated films can't generate grosses as easily than, say, PG or PG-13 because kids can't go in alone. Not that TMNT needed to be R, but I am just saying.

Another problem is a bigger one; animation in America, despite anime, despite Cartoon Network and despite Adult Swim, is largely seen as a child's medium. The only exception seems to be raunchy comedy, but it is very rare to find Western animation that is geared for older audiences. There always is the feeling to "soften" or "dummy down" the material for kids, which ironically can breed their contempt because children usually resent being "talked down to". I remember as a tyke myself rolling my eyes at Wolverine's inability to cut someone or laser pistols taking the place of real guns, and that was a decade ago.

I remember some reviews for THE CORPSE BRIDE lamented that the film attempted to be everything to everyone rather than pick one audience and please them 100%. That could have been TMNT's problem as well.

Still, I think despite the hostile market and the 14 year gap between films, and the fact that the film was hardly SPIDER-MAN 2 in quality, that it made a moderate worldwide profit as a plus. But execs almost always have ridiculously high standards.

TMNT has made $ 79.5 million wordwide so far. Around $ 85 million is the range that would usually make a sequel a virtual certainty for a film with this budget, so a sequel is still likely despite the steep drop-off. A revitalized Turtles franchise with multiple sequels is, however, unlikely.

TMNT has made $ 79.5 million wordwide so far. Around $ 85 million is the range that would usually make a sequel a virtual certainty for a film with this budget, so a sequel is still likely despite the steep drop-off. A revitalized Turtles franchise with multiple sequels is, however, unlikely.

I think the chance of multiple sequels hinge on will Warner Bros. promote it cuz the people I run into or watch me play the movie game in the dorm tv room said they loved the movie, so promotion not content is deciding factor of a renew of the Ninja Turtle franchise.

the director said this one would have to make atleast 100 Million in America before they'd do a sequel.

Right now it's only at 80 WW. I have a feeling they're not going to make another.

Turtles can stay in the 80s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"