Tom Welling - Clark Kent/Superman : The Man Behind The Cape

Discussion in 'Smallville' started by The Caped Knight, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Prison Mike

Prison Mike Don't drop the soap!

The trailer for Parkland is out.

Welling is in it for a split second. At the 0:53 mark.

2. Mysteryman

Mysteryman Well-Known Member

Not surprising.
    He doesnt have a lead role in it .

3. elgaz

elgaz Well-Known Member

He's looking more like his age nowadays than when he was in Smallville, but Tom Welling still has some major Superman vibes about him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Indy Flash

Indy Flash Archeological Speedster

Yeah he still does.

5. \S/JcDc\S/

\S/JcDc\S/ Well-Known Member

With hair that black it stands out more that he is going grey now. He is 36 so maybe looks a few years older than his actual age with the color change.

6. James123

James123 New Member

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  7. Peter Pattinson

Peter Pattinson New Member

n Smallville, make-up is presumably used to make him look younger, since he’s about 10 years older than Clark is supposed to be. In order for him to play a mature Superman, make-up should instead be applied only to accent his features or, at most, to make him look only slightly older. After all, Tom Welling is actually a few years older than Christopher Reeve was when he took on the role.
    i recently seaching for a superman Black leather jacket and i found a good one Superman Black Leather Jacket

8. magpiemaggie

magpiemaggie Member

Really miss Smallville!!! tom Welling did an amazing job! :yay::yay:

9. SpideyVille

SpideyVille Walking out the Desert

10. gohei_

gohei_ Infected by Pentapox

Wow, that's really sad to read.

11. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Unfortunately that's what usually tends to happen to most married couples nowadays. It kinda sucks they don't have kids though.

12. vantheman77

vantheman77 Superman Fan 4 Life

Sad to hear this about TW. Divorces are happening left and right among famous couples such as Paul Hogan and Linda Kozlowski.

13. The Incredible Hulk

The Incredible Hulk Bad Hombre

14. Antihero

Antihero Well-Known Member

Tom Wellington would always be Clark Kent for me

15. Micromind

Micromind New World New Rules

Trailer for Draft Day movie which stars Kevin Costner, Jennifer Garner and Tom Welling The film is directed by Ivan Reitman. Release date is April 11, 2014.

[YT]K3SlVsdUuBY[/YT]

16. SpideyVille

Nice to see Tom back on the big screen, especially with some well accomplished actors. And O find it kinda funny how one version of Clark Kent is working with another version of Jonathan Kent, and he's playing football.

17. elgaz

elgaz Well-Known Member

And there's also a version of Perry White in there as well :)

18. SpideyVille

Great Caesar's Ghost! You're right! :wow:

That's such a crazy coincidence, but then again, nowadays there's so many big name actors and actresses who have been tied to a superhero franchise at some point. I looked at the IMDB page of the cast, and I can spot Elektra, General Ross/Caretaker, Captain Stacy, and Diggle from "Arrow".

19. Binker

Binker Well-Known Member

One thing to say about Welling is a negative, one of many that a lot of people had over him, concerning Welling playing the role of Clark Kent aka Superman, and that's arrogance. When interviewed, current Superman Henry Cavill said something that made me say that Cavill, among many other things that make him a great Superman, knew what it meant playing the role: paraphrasing his comments, he basically pointed out that no matter what he does or doesn't do, and above all who he is or isn't, even to many people, people are not going to see Superman because of Henry Cavill, they are seeing Superman because of Superman, and they will see Superman on screen and not the actor. Compared to Welling, he had a very ego POV where he felt that people where seeing Smallville BECAUSE of Tom Welling, because HE was playing a role that people loved to see him play, and not seeing him because it was Superman. Also, he felt putting on the suit would ruin his image and because he felt he wasn't Superman; kinda not true when he WAS playing Superman, regardless of not flying (except doing that in some episodes) or wearing the suit; plus, no matter what he did or didn't do, people still saw him as Superman, and yet didn't accept it which still hurt the show.

20. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I think Tom is the only one who truly knows how he feels about the suit situation.

21. SpideyVille

I have to disagree. Alot of people in the cast have said how much Clark really wanted to stay true to the Clark Kent journey, and I think most of that stems from the concept that was pitched to him. The show was never supposed to be a show about Superman, but rather about Clark Kent, and I think in his eyes, Tom felt that that's who he had to be. Even when they had Christopher Reeve on, Tom said that that's not who he was so the comparison was unfair. He wasn't Superman, he was Clark Kent and a better comparison would have been to Jeff East, who played a young Clark in Superman the Movie.

But I don't think for a second that Tom felt like people were watching for him, or that he was better than the role. I still don't know why he never wore the suit. Maybe it was the Superman curse, or maybe it was the producer's own doing, but I don't think Tom was ever as self absorbed as you make him sound to be.

22. elgaz

elgaz Well-Known Member

Tom Welling has been described in many ways over the year, but I've never heard a single fan, member of the cast or anyone else involved in Smallville call him 'arrogant'. In fact, it was usually the opposite ........ they all thought he was one of the nicest and down to earth actors around.

Tom likely had many reasons for not wearing the suit, but I don't think ego was one of them.

23. Young Superman

Young Superman The Last Son of Krypton

I don't care what some people say I think Tom Welling made a great Last Son Of Krypton.

24. SpideyVille

Same here. Cavill did a really good job at selling me on his version, but even though he never wore the suit, Welling is still my ideal Superman.

25. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

The worst thing I ever heard about Tom is that he takes his privacy way too seriously. That was evident during the show's run, he barely ever gave interviews or made any media appearances at all. And if that is his biggest sin, then obviously we could've had a much worse guy playing the role. lol