Torchwood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Technically, the British received pronunciation is not an accent. It's the language of England, so it's Americans, Australians and us Canadians that have the accent, not the English.

I guess the "logic" is that a classical British accent is what "unaccented" English sounds like, so the magical universal translator that we see in movies like 300, Nicholas and Alexandra and The Three Musketeers (Michael York's version) will naturally use British English as the baseline.

Don't forget South Africa. ;)

But it's still an accent compared to us, just as we're an accent compared to them. Which probably is what makes us so receptive to it in movies. It's our language, and the way we used to speak it. Which makes it far easier for us to relate to.

I think American film needs to bring back the Trans-Atlantic accent. There was a time when every other American actor added a hint of Englishness to their voice for certain roles. Now it's just Kelsey Grammer.
Please, dear God, no. It's one of the things I hate most about watching movies from the '50s.

I think American film needs to bring back the Trans-Atlantic accent. There was a time when every other American actor added a hint of Englishness to their voice for certain roles. Now it's just Kelsey Grammer.
There was a time when i thought Kelsey Grammer was English....:awesome:

New Torchwood series confirmed - official

Since FOX dropped it Starz will pick it up

http://www.bbc.co.uk/torchwood/torchwood_new_series/

Key cast - John Barrowman (Capt. Jack), Eve Myles (Gwen) – to return for the next installment, along with new faces

Monday 7th June 2010

BBC Cymru Wales, BBC Worldwide and US premium entertainment network, Starz Entertainment, have today announced a three way co-production partnership that will develop a new series of the hit BBC sci-fi drama Torchwood. BBC Worldwide will also distribute the series to broadcasters globally.
The 10-episode instalment will be written by a team led by Torchwood creator, Russell T Davies, and produced by BBC Worldwide Productions. Davies and BBC Worldwide Productions’ SVP Scripted, Julie Gardner, return as executive producers with BBC Worldwide Productions EVP Jane Tranter. The series has been commissioned by Controller BBC ONE, Jay Hunt, Controller BBC Drama, Ben Stephenson, and Starz President and CEO, Chris Albrecht.
While previous series were based on location in Cardiff, Wales, this new instalment will see storylines widen to include locations in the U.S. and around the world. John Barrowman and Eve Myles will return in their roles as Captain Jack and Gwen respectively, along with new faces.

Interview with RTD and the head of Starz:

http://livefeed.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/06/torchwood-interviews-with-starz-chief-chris-albrecht-creator-russell-t-davies-.html

It's one 10 hour-long story, with new American cast members.

Ugh, dammit! One of the reasons I liked Torchwood was because it was randomly set in Cardiff, of all places. And that they made fun of that.

I have no problem with an expanded (U.S.) cast. Not being British, I only vaguely understood the humour of having Wales be the centre of paranormal alien activity in the world, so this will allow them to tell bigger stories.

Really excited to see Mekhi Phifer in the show. He was one of my faves from ER. No all we need to know who the other two leads are, which i hope we'll know soon!

This might actually be something to compete with Children of Earth. At least I hope. I'd hate for them to do this expansion of the series and fail to live up to the quality of that.

This might actually be something to compete with Children of Earth. At least I hope. I'd hate for them to do this expansion of the series and fail to live up to the quality of that.

That's a tall order. Children of Earth really set the bar pretty high. The finale was just one of the most heart-wrenching things I've seen in a television show or movie that I've ever seen. [BLACKOUT]Captain Jack sacrificing his own grandson to save every child on the planet was something I NEVER saw coming. There are so many movies and shows where a character would never make that choice, and when presented, there's usually some last minute save, and it was a shock that they took it so far.[/BLACKOUT]

That's a tall order. Children of Earth really set the bar pretty high. The finale was just one of the most heart-wrenching things I've seen in a television show or movie that I've ever seen. [BLACKOUT]Captain Jack sacrificing his own grandson to save every child on the planet was something I NEVER saw coming. There are so many movies and shows where a character would never make that choice, and when presented, there's usually some last minute save, and it was a shock that they took it so far.[/BLACKOUT]

yea...that series pushed a lot of boundaries...especially "the conversation" among the government officials

I always thought Lauren was the best actress of Six Feet Under (and that's really saying something, because it was a great cast all around). They are really recruiting a well-established cast for this show.

Filming has began

Eve Myles is spotted Monday on the set of the British sc-fi series Torchwood on location in Venice Beach, CA (Mar 7). Torchwood follows the Cardiff branch of the fictional Torchwood Institute, a small team of alien-hunters.

The series has been a success since hitting British TV screens in 2006, moving from BBC Three to BBC Two to the flagship BBC One during its run. A fourth season co-produced by BBC and Starz titled Torchwood: Miracle Day will be shown in both the United Kingdom and United States in summer 2011 and will be set in Los Angeles.

Torchwood writer David Fay said the new series will have an American “feel” but keep the same tone: “Russell [T. Davies] and Julie Gardner remain in charge. [But] there are more American characters in it, so obviously it’ll probably feel more American.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"