Trials of Shazam

I'm not crazy about all this talk of modernizing things and how things from the old days don't work and all that. Obviously no one's clamoring to get Uncle Marvel bouncing around again, but just exactly how much are we going to get rid of and how much are we going to just tack on without it becoming awkward? Is Freddy going to listen to Fall Out Boys now or something? How much of the "shiny bright penny from the 50s" aspect Fawcett City is going away? A lot of the "Big Red Cheese" aspect of Captain Marvel is exactly what he is and what people like to see him as.

With all that said, however, I'm really looking forward to this. Half the battle of getting good series these days is just getting writers that really like and respect the character. The art looks great. The story sounds really interesting. The new focus on magic is nice too since I really like that aspect of the DCU and for some reason the new Shadowpact series just isn't grabbing me.

Plus, at the end of the day all you have to do to get on my good side is to namedrop Whedon:D.

I can't wait, Captain Marvel has quickly became one of my favotie characters. I'm optimistic about this one and I hope he gets an ongoing. He's been kicking ass for about sixty years now he deserves an ongoing title.

dammit! i've been wanting some good captain marvel for years, and now that its possibly here, i cant afford to add anymore books to my pull.

how was first thunder by the way?

BrianWilly said:
I'm not crazy about all this talk of modernizing things and how things from the old days don't work and all that. Obviously no one's clamoring to get Uncle Marvel bouncing around again, but just exactly how much are we going to get rid of and how much are we going to just tack on without it becoming awkward? Is Freddy going to listen to Fall Out Boys now or something? How much of the "shiny bright penny from the 50s" aspect Fawcett City is going away? A lot of the "Big Red Cheese" aspect of Captain Marvel is exactly what he is and what people like to see him as.
I completely agree. A) Freddy should still be listening to Elvis and B) It shouldn't be too serious.

With all that said, however, I'm really looking forward to this. Half the battle of getting good series these days is just getting writers that really like and respect the character. The art looks great. The story sounds really interesting. The new focus on magic is nice too since I really like that aspect of the DCU and for some reason the new Shadowpact series just isn't grabbing me.
Again, agreed. I've got a little faith in Winick and the art looks awesome, so it should be pretty good.

Motown Marvel said:
dammit! i've been wanting some good captain marvel for years, and now that its possibly here, i cant afford to add anymore books to my pull.

Worth reading for the last issue alone. Not that the rest of it is poor by any stretch of the imagination - the Luthor/Sivana banter is worth the price of admission alone - but the last issue just feels right. More so than any other attempt thus far to show the relationship between Supes and Marvel, in my opinion.

(smile)
I'll be picking it up.

Motown Marvel said:

First Thunder was quite good. Really good interaction between Superman and Cap.

As for Trials of Shazam, I'll definitely be picking it up.

This looks good. I've always liked Porter's art, but Winicks been a little hit and miss for me so I think I'll wait for some reviews and then maybe pick up the tpb.

I've been waiting for something like this my whole life! I REALLY friggin' hope they do this right, and only change things because it betters the book, and not for coolness or shock factor. Sounds like they're headed in the right direction, especially the fact that Billy Batson has needed an update for the past twenty(if not thirty) years.

I kinda actually hope they age Billy a bit. Make him a man. Dick Grayson grew up, so why can't Billy Batson?

looks like freddy is getting spanked! lol... porters art is amazing...

sethcohen said:
looks like freddy is getting spanked! lol... porters art is amazing...

Totally agree - Porter's art is amazing. Never cared for his work much when it was inked by John Dell.

sethcohen said:
looks like freddy is getting spanked!
Only because he stupidly used the lightning trick. It's become an obligatory part of any Marvel family member appearance lately and I hate it. Freddy could've handled those demon guys without ******edly calling down the lightning and turning himself back into an incredibly vulnerable kid. :o

I got the impression that it happened involuntarily, like he all of a sudden lost his powers. Look at his expression of shock (LOLPUNLOL) right before the lightning strikes.

Could be. I guess I'll have to wait for the dialogue to know for sure.

Is this going to have anything to do with the Trials of Hercules legend.

I hadn't thought of that. It is twelve issues, and Hercules had twelve labors.

TheCorpulent1 said:
I hadn't thought of that. It is twelve issues, and Hercules had twelve labors.

Yeah. It would be interesting i think, but most of the labors were fighting animals, beast rather. Dont know how interesting that could be.

They could be used metaphorically. Doesn't Billy still have to round up the Seven Deadly Sins again? They could be used in place of some of the animals.

I think they got the Seven Deadly Sins back already in the Day of Vengeance special.

I don't recall them doing that, but they may have. I don't know.
A Hercules-type deal actually sounds REALLY cool. If that is what they're doing, it has a huge amount of potential to be the best Captain Marvel story(not that there'd be much competition) since Kingdom Come.

Wasn't the whole point of the DOV special that they were in Gotham putting the Rock of Eternity back together and finding all of the sins? I don't quite recall.

I thought they just rebuilt the Rock of Eternity in the DoV Special. The Seven Deadly Sins were powering Sabbac, last I remember.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"