True Blood - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ask myself that every season as this show gets worse and worse... lol. :p

Hudis, a celebrated writer whose credits include Cybill, That '70s Show and Nurse Jackie, suggested that the series, which had gone more global in scope during the fifth season, would bring the focus back to the Louisiana town of Bon Temps for the sixth.

A shame they got rid of him because THAT is exactly what this show needed after the last completely over the top awful season in addition to the terrible season three. Every time they try to make it some grand scale event it's a complete mess.

Part of the charm and draw of the show (and the books) was seeing the whole vampire/supernatural movement through the eyes of the podunk little town of Bon Temps and how it always ends up as the center of all the drama.

Get back to the town, put them back into their normal lives (when was the last time Sookie actually worked at Merlottes on a consistent basis?) and not trying to make everything so big. We didn't need to learn more about the authority last season, especially when it was so awful and convoluted. It was fine with just having Nan Flannagan be the consistent mouthpiece for them.

It's just gotten to be too much for this show.

A shame they got rid of him because THAT is exactly what this show needed after the last completely over the top awful season in addition to the terrible season three. Every time they try to make it some grand scale event it's a complete mess.

Part of the charm and draw of the show (and the books) was seeing the whole vampire/supernatural movement through the eyes of the podunk little town of Bon Temps and how it always ends up as the center of all the drama.

Get back to the town, put them back into their normal lives (when was the last time Sookie actually worked at Merlottes on a consistent basis?) and not trying to make everything so big. We didn't need to learn more about the authority last season, especially when it was so awful and convoluted. It was fine with just having Nan Flannagan be the consistent mouthpiece for them.

It's just gotten to be too much for this show.

No, this show needs to leave Bon Temps behind like a bad flu and kill everyone in that POS town. After 5 seasons this show needs to evolve and grow and kill some people. That is the problem with this show. It has no teeth anymore. They are afraid to cut ties with that town and the pointless unneeded characters that inhabit it.

Cutting the town is definitely not thing to do. The whole premise of the series is based and built upon Sookie's life in Bon Temps - eliminating that changes it to a completely different show, and an awful adaptation of Harris' book series. Getting rid of that wouldn't make it any different than any other vampire show out there or that has already been don.

Charlaine Harris did a fabulous job of keeping the characters and the stories within Bon Temps while evolving and moving forward the general narrative and it's characters. People left the town, people died, newbies came through and Sookie occasionally left to handle other business in other cities.

The problem is:

A) The overbloated cast. Not every character needs to have their own storyline and they need to commit to making death more of a factor.

B) The constant removal of Sookie from Bon Temps or the other characters. She's the glue that holds all the characters together. With her being distanced so much it makes everything and everyone too spread out. When was the last time we saw her and Tara actually be friends? Her and Jason? Her and Sam? Her and Jess? Get the point? There's no more relationships or friendships anymore because they have her off doing wildly inane things.

C) There's no cohesion, connection, or arcing story anymore. Season one did this amazingly with the whole murder mystery and vamps arrival to Bon Temps. Season two also did it perfectly with the two different views on how people's religious and other beliefs drove them to do crazy s***. Season three = no theme, all over the place. Season four, this one somewhat attempted to get back to the basics with the whole witches vs. vampires. Season five threw everything season four tried to do out into the trash. Completely all over the place, no focus or many story arc. Too many characters off doing side business that had nothing to do with anything.

Correct these things and you've got a great show again with compelling and likable characters. There's a reason why a good majority of people liked Season One & Two - there wasn't any extraneous bullcrap and it focused on the characters we liked.

Last edited:
Sorry for the double post but I remembered something else that irked me about where the show is now. There's no more normalcy anymore.

In the beginning two seasons, I guess third as well, there was still a healthy dose of human drama and interactions to balance out the supernatural elements. Everyone now has some supernatural connection or element that it doesn't seem like there's anything human about the show anymore.

The only part of this show I've ever been I nterested in is the larger world and all my issues come from Bon temps so I don't know whether it is the show runners mishandling of the town or charline harris mishandling it but bon temps is overused and broken right now. Time to fix it or drag it to the shed and shoot it.

It's absolutely the show writers. I'm not a die hard book fanatic by any means, I've loved a ton of the changes they made to the tv series but some of the other drastic changes were for the worst.

As I said Harris does, and has done, a great job with the book series (which is releasing the final book next month).

Spending a year married to Gregory House can turn a woman into a real bloodsucker.

Case in point: Karolina Wydra — who played Dominika, the convenient bride of Hugh Laurie’s titular doc on Fox’s House — is joining True Blood‘s sixth season as a badass vampire, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Wydra’s recurring character, Violet, is described as a strong, sexy, possibly dangerous vamp on par with the Eric Northmans and Bill Comptons of the world.

Also joining the HBO smash in Season 6 is acting vet Rutger Hauer (as a mysterious figure with deep ties to Sookie and Jason), Rubicon’s Arliss Howard (as Louisiana Governor Truman Burrell), Friday Night Lights grad Jurnee Smollett-Bell (as do-gooder Nicole) and 90210‘s Amelia Rose Blaire (as Howard’s onscreen daughter).

Wydra will next be seen in the sci-fi thriller Europa Report, to be released later this year.

True Blood‘s sixth season is slated to premiere in June.

http://tvline.com/2013/03/26/true-blood-season-6-spoilers-karolina-wydra-cast-violet/#more-419835

Lmao duh. It was a joke. I hear "Jim Morrison of vampires" I think Lestat.

True Blood will return for its sixth season on Sunday, June 16 at 9/8c on HBO, the network announced Friday.

The sixth season will be comprised of 10 episodes, down from the usual 12-episode order the previous seasons had. This is the first season without series creator Alan Ball as showrunner. Writer-producer Brian Buckner will take the lead in the upcoming season, replacing Mark Hudis, who was first tapped to succeed Ball.

Last we left them, Sookie Stackhouse (Anna Paquin) came face to face with the being that fans like to call "Billith," the new and improved version of her former love Bill (Stephen Moyer), who drank the vial containing blood from the first vampire Lilith, which turned him into a seemingly primal vampire.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/True-Blood-Season6-Premiere-Date-HBO-1063340.aspx

I came up with Billith you thieving bastards!:argh: I expect compensation...pretty please?:(

So 10 episodes? And a cast that is way too full and one too many storylines happening at once...sounds like a winning formula.

I'm trying to cut TB out of my diet, anyway, so shortening this session helps shorten this addiction.

I came up with Billith you thieving bastards!:argh: I expect compensation...pretty please?:(

So 10 episodes? And a cast that is way too full and one too many storylines happening at once...sounds like a winning formula.

I think that has been floating around for a while. I remember my wife getting on some message boards last season and her tellimg me people had all kinds of "Billith" theories.

I think that has been floating around for a while. I remember my wife getting on some message boards last season and her tellimg me people had all kinds of "Billith" theories.

I posted it here the night of the finale last year, but I'm pretty sure the person who came up with It is a member of bluray.com. I think that is where I saw it and then brought it here if memory serves.

Promo:
[YT]HPL57pNrLY4[/YT]
They just had to go and make this season look semi-interesting, didn't they? :argh:

Though, as fun as this might look, the show will still be bogged down by at least a half dozen subplots of unnecessary crap and characters that no longer hold interest.

Yes! Now her I love. Mmmmmm Pam's sister.

On another thought though, it can't be a good thing at all that every time I see this pop up in the forum now I'm just like "Ohhh god, what silliness are they up to now?" I've never felt that way about a show I used to love as much as I did this. Season 5 just really killed it for me. Before that I was excited as hell every year now I'm just like meh

Yes! Now her I love. Mmmmmm Pam's sister.

On another thought though, it can't be a good thing at all that every time I see this pop up in the forum now I'm just like "Ohhh god, what silliness are they up to now?" I've never felt that way about a show I used to love as much as I did this. Season 5 just really killed it for me. Before that I was excited as hell every year now I'm just like meh
Same here. I hope they do something to liven things up for me this season or I'll be dropping it soon. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"