HBO's True Detective - Part 3

I like Navarro's occasional fling, Eddie, if just because he seems to genuinely care for her, his dog, and the food he makes. Sure, he's a side character, but he comes off as pretty chill. Especially for having a Spongebob toothbrush.

Don't trust him.

I'm convinced his dogs are going to eat him alive now .

vlcsnap-2024-01-23-16h20m20s114.png

So I’m trying to figure out the math for how Travis Cohle could be Rust Cohle’s father. The pieces seem to be there (Rust’s father lived in Alaska and had leukemia). But TD season 1 ended in 2012, when Rust was about 50-55 years old, I think? Season 4 takes place in the present day, I believe. I’m not exactly sure when Travis died, but I’m guessing some time in the past 5-10 years and looks to be about 60. If he is intended to be about the same age as Fiona Shaw and she is playing a character that is her real age, then he would be about 65 if he were still alive today, which would be around the same age as his son.

Maybe Travis is Rust’s brother and not his father?

The Thing meets Twin Peaks meets 30 Days of Night meets Penumbra Black Plague. Wearing it's influences on its sleeve and I'm here for it.

The doctor having the blue eyes...my mind immediately went to the White Walkers for obvious reasons.

It's hilarious how in the eyes of his wife and even to others on the force, Peter's only crime is that he's damn good at his job!

This is probably my favorite theory I've come across for who the killer could be Night Country. (Link)

It seems like Navarro will reveal at some point that she has a dormant alter ego/split personality whose "true" name is Sedna, and who may have killed the scientists in revenge for the murder of Anne.

In the Inuit myth of Sedna, which they have referred to with Darwin's drawing of the woman with her fingers cut off, she is the goddess of the sea and has been known to be able to control animals, sometimes stopping them from coming to hunting grounds and causing famine. This goddess also apparently holds resentment towards her father/parents in many versions of the myth. Sedna's father had cut her fingers off as she clung to the side of his kayak sending her to the depths of the ocean where she would essentially become the ruler of the underworld. Sedna is generally known to be vengeful goddess who is worshiped by hunters. (This information on Sedna is based off of wikipedia, and should therefore be taken with a grain of salt)

This is probably my favorite theory I've come across for who the killer could be Night Country. (Link)

It seems like Navarro will reveal at some point that she has a dormant alter ego/split personality whose "true" name is Sedna, and who may have killed the scientists in revenge for the murder of Anne.

In the Inuit myth of Sedna, which they have referred to with Darwin's drawing of the woman with her fingers cut off, she is the goddess of the sea and has been known to be able to control animals, sometimes stopping them from coming to hunting grounds and causing famine. This goddess also apparently holds resentment towards her father/parents in many versions of the myth. Sedna's father had cut her fingers off as she clung to the side of his kayak sending her to the depths of the ocean where she would essentially become the ruler of the underworld. Sedna is generally known to be vengeful goddess who is worshiped by hunters. (This information on Sedna is based off of wikipedia, and should therefore be taken with a grain of salt)
Interesting. :D I'm curious if any of this plays out.

I like this theory but I kinda want them to lean into the supernatural for once. I liked the "is it or isn't it supernatural?" approach to first season. It's just a shame season 1's ending shat the bed as hard as it did with its reveal.

No need for that Nick we all saw season 2.:o

Ok, now that I've seen the current episodes I feel that I'm gonna be disappointed when
A horrifying paranormal mistical being isn´t part of the murders and there is a mundane, human, cause of it all.

:sadcat:

I'm caught up with the first three episodes. So far I'm definitely much more intrigued by Night Country than I ever was with seasons two and three.

Yeah, the moment that Evangeline said that she and Jules would spend Christmas together...something was bound to happen.

I'm still enjoying the show but I'm curious to see what the original version of the show would have been before HBO slapped True Detective on it with the easter eggs like a Cloverfield sequel.

Last edited:
Getting vibes that it is Danvers (or someone on the show) that is catfishing Hank.

I'm still enjoying the show but I'm curious to see what the original version of the show would have been before HBO slapped True Detective on it with the easter eggs like a Cloverfield sequel.
A 90 min film

I have a big problem with the handling of Jules. Not what she's suffering from, but...she's entered into a treatment center and just waltzes out no problem. First off, that's ludicrous. The last thing Jules did before entering was assault an officer. Not on purpose, but that would still make her a danger to others and herself, voluntary center or not. Also, when Jules didn't return for a period of time, I question how Evangeline wasn't immediately notified by the treatment center, especially since she's Jules's sister and in law enforcement when she could potentially put out an APB. Sure, it's established that all resources are spent looking for Raymond Clark, but it would have been something. How is it that the Alaska Coast Guard, which somehow found Jules's body in the freezing darkness and was able to identify her despite her not wearing any clothes, got in touch with her faster than the very treatment where Jules stayed?

The whole was just handled laughably poorly.

They said its voluntary... that's what happens. No matter how hard you try to help someone, they want to help themselves first.

That's a BS excuse on the center's part. That doesn't exclude or overlook the fact that Evangeline wasn't notified prior. It hadn't even been a week or enough time to properly evaluate Jules, so there's no way the security was that lax that they just wouldn't be able to account for someone who is, again, the sister of a police detective. Either way you slice it, either the center has terrible security or terrible communication for not even thinking of letting Jules's only nearby relative know that she'd vanished.

It also still doesn't explain how the coast guard found Jules so quickly. Everyone keeps talking about how it's Christmas Eve, so resources are thin. So either she didn't sink very far, or they just miraculously found someone they couldn't easily identify, but managed to anyway? It's not like the coast guard would've known that Jules was in a treatment center, so they'd have no reason to contact them.

That's a BS excuse on the center's part. That doesn't exclude or overlook the fact that Evangeline wasn't notified prior. It hadn't even been a week or enough time to properly evaluate Jules, so there's no way the security was that lax that they just wouldn't be able to account for someone who is, again, the sister of a police detective. Either way you slice it, either the center has terrible security or terrible communication for not even thinking of letting Jules's only nearby relative know that she'd vanished.

It also still doesn't explain how the coast guard found Jules so quickly. Everyone keeps talking about how it's Christmas Eve, so resources are thin. So either she didn't sink very far, or they just miraculously found someone they couldn't easily identify, but managed to anyway? It's not like the coast guard would've known that Jules was in a treatment center, so they'd have no reason to contact them.
Seriously, look into this stuff. It happens everyday, sadly.

Mental Health and Homelessness resources are convoluted, lacking, and frustrating. Welcome to America.

Evangeline isn't her legal guardian, so yes they wouldn't notify her.

Jules is an adult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"