Tumbleweed, USA: The Wild West RPG IC Thread

The eye the sheriff for a moment before nodding. A situation like this, it would be best to follow him than to run.

"Why of course, my good man." I start to wave people off from my wagon as the sheriff and I walk down the dirt street.

The two men walk in silence for a short while, Artemis looking over his town and choosing his words, before he finally speaks.

"Mr. Kippling, despite what you may believe, we here in Tumbleweed are not idiots." the sheriff says with a firm tone. "I've seen men like you before. More than once and more than twice. You go from town t'town making money off of good people who ain't guilty of nothin' more than being trusting of a stranger and not knowin' better. Sure, you could go and sell your snakeoil to those folk back there, make yourself a few dollars, but let me tell you one thing so as to be clear as daylight." Artemis finally stopped dead in his tracks and turned, looking into Kippling's eyes for the first time. "If you get so much as a cent in exchange for that ratpiss you're sellin', know that I have the bullet to go along with it."

The two men walk in silence for a short while, Artemis looking over his town and choosing his words, before he finally speaks.

"Mr. Kippling, despite what you may believe, we here in Tumbleweed are not idiots." the sheriff says with a firm tone. "I've seen men like you before. More than once and more than twice. You go from town t'town making money off of good people who ain't guilty of nothin' more than being trusting of a stranger and not knowin' better. Sure, you could go and sell your snakeoil to those folk back there, make yourself a few dollars, but let me tell you one thing so as to be clear as daylight." Artemis finally stopped dead in his tracks and turned, looking into Kippling's eyes for the first time. "If you get so much as a cent in exchange for that ratpiss you're sellin', know that I have the bullet to go along with it."

I narrow my eyes at the old redneck and pull my bowler back on my head.

"Last time I checked, there is nothing against the law, rather it be government, state, or local, that prevents me from selling my wares. And while you may be the king of this podunk town, you might want to know where exactly I come from. You see, the state's Attorney General is named Yancy Kippling. He is my dear uncle, you so much as lay a hand on me and he sends in the National Guard to burn this town to the ground, I'm sure they'd slaughter you and hopefully piss on your body."

I smile as I notice his bloodshot eyes.

"So just relax and crawl back into that bottle for a little bit longer, I rest assure I will be out of town in a few days."

I narrow my eyes at the old redneck and pull my bowler back on my head.

"Last time I checked, there is nothing against the law, rather it be government, state, or local, that prevents me from selling my wares. And while you may be the king of this podunk town, you might want to know where exactly I come from. You see, the state's Attorney General is named Yancy Kippling. He is my dear uncle, you so much as lay a hand on me and he sends in the National Guard to burn this town to the ground, I'm sure they'd slaughter you and hopefully piss on your body."

I smile as I notice his bloodshot eyes.

"So just relax and crawl back into that bottle for a little bit longer, I rest assure I will be out of town in a few days."

Artemis' entire body begins to shake with rage. Blood rushes to his head as his hand just itches to go for his pistol. He thinks of all the things he'd like to say to the little rat standing in front of him.

But he smiles.

"My apologies, Mr. Kippling."

Kippling's lips creep into an obnoxious smile.

"Had I known you had family of such high esteem, I would have chosen my words more carefully."

Kippling nods, while Artemis quickly checks to see if anyone is looking.

In a split second Artemis makes a fist and swings it as hard as he can. It connects with Kippling's smug face and, with a cracking sound, the man falls to the dirt.

"What I meant to say was 'get the hell out my 'podunk' town', ya hear?"

With one hand on his holster, Artemis begins walking back to the town square.

Artemis' entire body begins to shake with rage. Blood rushes to his head as his hand just itches to go for his pistol. He thinks of all the things he'd like to say to the little rat standing in front of him.

But he smiles.

"My apologies, Mr. Kippling."

Kippling's lips creep into an obnoxious smile.

"Had I known you had family of such high esteem, I would have chosen my words more carefully."

Kippling nods, while Artemis quickly checks to see if anyone is looking.

In a split second Artemis makes a fist and swings it as hard as he can. It connects with Kippling's smug face and, with a cracking sound, the man falls to the dirt.

"What I meant to say was 'get the hell out my 'podunk' town', ya hear?"

With one hand on his holster, Artemis begins walking back to the town square.

I smile as the 'doctor' begins to scamper back to his wagon. The sheriff and town doctor stand there, still more than a little furious. I break from the crowd and step up behind them

"I see you've still got a way with the people, Artie."

I smile as the 'doctor' begins to scamper back to his wagon. The sheriff and town doctor stand there, still more than a little furious. I break from the crowd and step up behind them

"I see you've still got a way with the people, Artie."

Artemis doesn't recognize the voice at first. He turns to look at whatever citizen of Tumbleweed had seen him suckerpunch a member of high society, but instead came face to face with a man he never thought he'd see again.

The man extends his hand towards Artemis.

"Chance Morgan." is he can think of saying. Finally, Artemis looks down at Morgan's hand and extends his own to meet it.

"Now what in the hell brings you to Tumbleweed?"

logofun.gif
DAY 1: SUNDAY AFTERNOON

“Thank you kindly,” Jack Daniels waved back as he exited the General Store. As soon as he was a safe distance away though, he started to mutter curses under his breath. Getting out of this town was going to be difficult.

No horse.

No money.

In the distance, the Confederate soldier could already see the sun setting. His wound still throbbed and itched and Jack scratched at the bandage, although not so hard as to loosen it. There was sweat on his brow.

He needed some cooling.

And so, slowly, the former carpenter made his way to the Froggy Dog Saloon.

OOC:Previously...
dita-2.jpg

Family
End of Volume One

"I said. OUT!" Jean pushed Mercy towards the door. Mercy struggled. Mercy grabbed Jean's wrists and threw her onto the sofa. Mercy stomped over to Jean and growled.
"I ain't leaving till you say that you're not happy that Susan is DEAD!" Mercy stated. Jean rolled her eyes, she slowly got up and grinned. She swiftly strutted over to Mercy.
"Mercine, or Mercy. Whatever you liked to be called. I swear on mah life that I'm--" Jean buried her head in her palms, pretending to sob. Mercy sighed, she put her hand on Jean's back and rubbed it, moving closer to her. Suddenly, Jean lifted her head from her palms and smacked a smirk across her face. She raised her fist and slammed it into Mercy's face. Mercy lunged back and fell onto the sofa.
"I've had enough cat fights for one day, now leave me ALONE!" Jean grabbed her purse and her keys and ran out the door. She had locked Mercy inside her room.

Terrence White, a tall built man with a crooked jaw, stood in the door frame of the changing rooms. Jean was in a relationship for money, all part of her master plan. Jean came running towards him. Before he could comment that she was late, Jean planted her lips on his and hurried in.

In the changing rooms was a small store/supply room. Inside was dark, a figure awaited for someone to swell into the darkness. Their waiting seemed to be over. Lulu Ricci slowly turned the handle on the door and opened it. She slowly crept in, quickly searching for the light. The door slammed shut and everything fell quiet. As Lulu reached to turn the lantern on, she felt breathing from behind her. Lulu knew what was next, but she didn't panic or run. She felt paralyzed. A hand slowly appeared, heading for her mouth, with a cloth and some chloroform on it. A loud thud was heard as Lulu collapsed to the floor.

Jean looked in the mirror, she grinned. She saw Terrence appear behind her. He put his hands on her shoulders and leaned over to her, kissing her neck. Jean slowly got up.
"Hey, after tonight's show...could I go back to your place? Ya know, I'm too tired to climb all the way up those stairs of the hotel" Jean fell into Terrence's arms. Suddenly, a bartender came into the changing rooms. He covered his eyes and put two thumbs up.
"Listen, I'll speak to you later. RIGHT! NOW LADIES, FOLLOW JEAN ONTO THE STAGE AND DO THE STARLET ROUTINE! GO GO GO GO!"

The store room door opened and Christina La Vivian, a D.I who is investigating the robbery of Scarlet Summit and the murder of Jean-Paul Lacey. Both crimes were commited by Jean O'Hara using the aliases Rachel Hart and Sydney O'Harriet. Christina was in the disguise of Lulu.
Terrence passed by all the girls, calling their names. He went by so quickly he didn't notice Lulu was gone. The only girl that did was Eve.
n30z7p.jpg

"Right ladies, let's go!"

Artemis doesn't recognize the voice at first. He turns to look at whatever citizen of Tumbleweed had seen him suckerpunch a member of high society, but instead came face to face with a man he never thought he'd see again.

The man extends his hand towards Artemis.

"Chance Morgan." is he can think of saying. Finally, Artemis looks down at Morgan's hand and extends his own to meet it.

"Now what in the hell brings you to Tumbleweed?"

"Little of this, little of that. Job offer, mostly." I decide not to say anymore out in the public. Especially in front of Artemis' friend. Until Artie vouches for him, he's still just a stranger to me.

I shake Artie's hand and look around at the crowd still trying to buy that swill from the 'good doctor'. "Heard you were running a quiet town here. Guess they were wrong," I joke.

I extend my hand to Artie's friend. "Jethro Morgan."

I extend my hand to Artie's friend. "Jethro Morgan."
The doctor grabbed the extended hand and shook it.

"John Rose, it's a pleasure to meet an old friend of our sheriff," John said with a brief smile.

The doctor grabbed the extended hand and shook it.

"John Rose, it's a pleasure to meet an old friend of our sheriff," John said with a brief smile.

I take the doctor's hand a give it a shake. He's got a firm grip. You can tell a lot about a man by the way he shakes another's hand. And by the company he keeps.

"Good to meet you. Artie and I sure have known each other for...a while." Artie and grunts. We don't talk about the past much. No need to. We were done with the war a long time ago.

The crowd seems to breaking up finally. "Your little town's got it's fair share of excitement today. Is it always like this?"

I take the doctor's hand a give it a shake. He's got a firm grip. You can tell a lot about a man by the way he shakes another's hand. And by the company he keeps.

"Good to meet you. Artie and I sure have known each other for...a while." Artie and grunts. We don't talk about the past much. No need to. We were done with the war a long time ago.

The crowd seems to breaking up finally. "Your little town's got it's fair share of excitement today. Is it always like this?"
"Well to be fair, the highlight of my day is when Old Tom McGinnity passes out in the water trough," the Doctor said amiably.

"Believe me, Chance.." Artemis chuckles, shaking his still hurting hand. "..most days, Tumbleweed is as quiet as a graveyard. Way I like it to be."

"So what's that you mentioned, 'bout a job?" Artemis looks Chance in the eyes, cocking his eyebrows and shifting his tone to a more serious one. "Somethin' I should be worryin' about?"

"Believe me, Chance.." Artemis chuckles, shaking his still hurting hand. "..most days, Tumbleweed is as quiet as a graveyard. Way I like it to be."

"So what's that you mentioned, 'bout a job?" Artemis looks Chance in the eyes, cocking his eyebrows and shifting his tone to a more serious one. "Somethin' I should be worryin' about?"

"Maybe." We start walking down the street in the direction of Artie's office.

"I suppose you know what Barton Miles is up to?"

"Maybe." We start walking down the street in the direction of Artie's office.

"I suppose you know what Barton Miles is up to?"

Artemis immediately matches the name to a face in his head.

"Sure. Fella who owns Miles Ranch outside of town. Met him a few times, can't say I liked him much." Artemis confesses as he recalls his meetings with Miles.

A middle aged man who acted, more or less, like he owned everything he laid his eyes upon. Ellsworth and Chance finally reach the Sheriff's Office and step inside. "Why do you ask?"

Artemis immediately matches the name to a face in his head.

"Sure. Fella who owns Miles Ranch outside of town. Met him a few times, can't say I liked him much." Artemis confesses as he recalls his meetings with Miles.

A middle aged man who acted, more or less, like he owned everything he laid his eyes upon. Ellsworth and Chance finally reach the Sheriff's Office and step inside. "Why do you ask?"

"Because he's hired himself a number of gunhands. Tried to hire me on as well. Seems like he's got a problem with the miners getting first use of the river. Cattlemen don't take kindly to people messing with their herd's water. Especially if it gets filled with dirt and debris on the way down."

I grab a cup and fill it with coffee from the stove. "Anyway, he's going about it all wrong. And I'm pretty sure he'll be causing all sort of problems for you and Tumbleweed soon."

"Because he's hired himself a number of gunhands. Tried to hire me on as well. Seems like he's got a problem with the miners getting first use of the river. Cattlemen don't take kindly to people messing with their herd's water. Especially if it gets filled with dirt and debris on the way down."

I grab a cup and fill it with coffee from the stove. "Anyway, he's going about it all wrong. And I'm pretty sure he'll be causing all sort of problems for you and Tumbleweed soon."

Artemis knew better than most how quickly something like this could get out of hand. Especially when people have guns in their hands and gold on their minds.

The sheriff of Tumbleweed chuckled lightly. "When it rains it pours." he muttered to himself. What with the dead stranger, the Confederate hunters, the quack selling his poison and now this....hell, taking a quiet little job as the sherriff of a small town didn't seem such a good idea.

"Hell, Chance, I appreciate you comin' down here and lettin' me know."I sigh and move behind my desk and slam myself down into my chair. I tilt my hat back and take a deep breath.

"Tell ya what." I finally say. "Seems to me I ain't got no other option but to head up to Miles Ranch and talk to the man. What say you tag along?" Artemis suggested. He knew full well that the sheriff of Tumbleweed was not the most frightening thought to a man with a few guns on his payroll. "I'll ask Stella to set you up at the hotel, free of charge. We can head out tomorrow mornin'." he proposed, trying to make the whole thing sound somehow appealing.

"Hell, give us a chance to catch up and all."

Artemis knew better than most how quickly something like this could get out of hand. Especially when people have guns in their hands and gold on their minds.

The sheriff of Tumbleweed chuckled lightly. "When it rains it pours." he muttered to himself. What with the dead stranger, the Confederate hunters, the quack selling his poison and now this....hell, taking a quiet little job as the sherriff of a small town didn't seem such a good idea.

"Hell, Chance, I appreciate you comin' down here and lettin' me know."I sigh and move behind my desk and slam myself down into my chair. I tilt my hat back and take a deep breath.

"Tell ya what." I finally say. "Seems to me I ain't got no other option but to head up to Miles Ranch and talk to the man. What say you tag along?" Artemis suggested. He knew full well that the sheriff of Tumbleweed was not the most frightening thought to a man with a few guns on his payroll. "I'll ask Stella to set you up at the hotel, free of charge. We can head out tomorrow mornin'." he proposed, trying to make the whole thing sound somehow appealing.

"Hell, give us a chance to catch up and all."

I lean against the wall and sip on the coffee. "Heh. Can't say Barton would be too happy to see me with you." I take another sip. "I'd love to see the expression on his face."

We share a short laugh. "So, Artie...what else has been happening around here?"

Captain Riley had made his rounds up and down the streets of Tumbleweed, occasionally talking with one of the locals to see if they knew of anything out of the ordinary. Most of the 'out of the ordinary' they gave him was useless gossip, but it wouldn't hurt to keep an ear to the ground. Coupled with the reports he had gotten from his men, and he was starting to feel disheartened. Tumbleweed was a frighteningly boring place, and he would have to look for the gray-coats elsewhere.
Still, while they were in town, he decided to make the most of their lodgings. Most of his men were already at the Froggy Dog, enjoying the saloon's hospitality. As he stepped through the swinging doors, he made a declaration for everyone inside to hear:

"I want every one of you to listen up and listen good. My men are here on official military business, and I want to make it perfectly clear that you are to assist them in any way possible, as that is your duty as citizens of this great Union. That being said, a free drink on me for any man that supports the cause!"

He smiled warmly as a cheer went up, then went to the bar for a bit of refreshment himself.

I rub my jaw as I sit at the saloon's bar.

Stupid hick town law dog doesn't know who he's messing with.

I look around at the Union soldiers as I stroke the small pea-shooter that's in my pocket.

Not big enough to instantly kill a man, but that's its beauty.

I don't intend to see that son of ***** have a quick death. I want him to bleed and suffer, see him slowly bleed out and call for his mother.

I keep the pistol in my pocket as I order another drink.

That sheriff is going to get what's coming to him and then some.

OOC: I too have decided this shouldn't die

I lean against the wall and sip on the coffee. "Heh. Can't say Barton would be too happy to see me with you." I take another sip. "I'd love to see the expression on his face."

We share a short laugh. "So, Artie...what else has been happening around here?"

Artie and I talk for the better part of an hour, catching up on our lives over his questionable coffee. Artie never could make a decent brew, although he always seemed to like it. And it seems like he taught his deputy his technique. I will admit, this stuff can keep you up on those long, cold nights. But that's about all the credit I'll give it.

So I tell Artie and his deputy about some of my adventures as a gun for fire, traveling down south into Mexico, and as far north as the Canadian territories. And they tell me how Tumbleweed's is your ordinary small town, and that the only time anything exciting happens is when the miners or ranchers get paid. Especially if it happens the same day. And I can tell that Artie's found some peace here.

And then Artie sends the deputy out for some supplies, and starts telling me what happened that morning.

"And he just up and died?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"