Tumbleweed, USA: The Wild West RPG Sign-Up/OOC Thread

SuperFerret

King of the Urban Jungle
Reaction score
TUMBLEWEED, USA
The Wild West RPG

Howdy, friends! Welcome to Tumbleweed, USA. The year is 186X in the American frontier, and the Civil War is coming to a close. Most of the town's income comes from the small coal mine on the outskirts of the town. The miners spend their leisure time at the Froggy Dog Saloon, and every Sunday the whole town turns up at the Church to attend Pastor Stephens's sermon. When outlaws, such as Dale "the Dog" Dumont, come to town, the local sheriff keeps order and runs such varmints out of town before they can start too much of a ruckus. All in all, it's a pretty good life, and everything is nice and peaceful around these parts.

Of course, nothing lasts forever.

This game will be a bit different from most of the RPG's on this forum, as it's a GM run game. Unlike the other games, which are basically big cooperative stories, many events and all NPCs will be controlled by the Game Master, just like a typical role-playing game. The game will take place over the course of eight days in Tumbleweed, and while the game will start out with the standard Wild West fare, certain events will set the tone over the course of the game.

Each of the eight days in Tumbleweed will be separated into three periods: Morning (Dawn to just before Noon), Afternoon (Noon to Dusk), Night (Dusk to just before Dawn). Not every character has to post in each period (although it'd be nice) and the length of the periods will vary. As GM, I'll post at the beginning of each period, describing events that are happening at that time. Some events will be major and should get the attention of all characters, others will be minor and may not garner every character's attention.

++++++++++++++++++++

Gamemaster
SuperFerret​

Roster​

Screen Name:
Character's Name:
Character's Occupation:
Brief Description of the Character's Appearance and Personality:
Sample Post:

++++++++++++++++++++

Last edited:
Also note, I will be closing the application process after a week or when I get ten approved applicants. After which, we're in it for the long run. You can drop out if you want (I hope not) once the game starts, but keep in mind, you can't come back as your character will be written out by the GM.

hmmm....this could be interesting. I may have to get in on this...if only I had alittle more freetime.

Fine by me, just remember, this is a commitment. Keep in mind though, if this game goes well, I have other ideas for GM-run, finite RPGs.

I'm thinking up a character...

So this game will have a definite end?

I'm game, will have an application up by tomorrow at the most.

How long do you reckon this'll take?

As long as it takes.

eastwood.th.jpg

You got a problem with that?

As long as it takes.

eastwood.th.jpg

You got a problem with that?

What he said.

It'll take as long as the players keep it interesting. Like I said, each period of time will last until it seems appropriate to move to the next one. If it seems like people aren't posting for a while, I'll shuffle the story ahead to the next period to get the game moving again.

YAHOOO!

Screen Name: Sensei o'Da Cheese

Character's Name: Artemis G. Ellsworth

Character's Occupation: Sheriff

Brief Description of the Character's Appearance and Personality: Artemis is a righetous man; a good man. He does what he can to make sure that justice is served and the good people of Tumbleweed can go to bed safe at night. But that ain't always an easy thing to do. He's been the sheriff for quite a few years and in that time he's gotten more and more disallusioned to the concept of 'justice', after seeing horrible men do horrible things and get away with it. Jaded as he is, he still tries his hardest to protect and serve the citizens of his town

Sample Post:

The liquor runs down his throat, silky smooth. This is the fourth glass he's emptied since noon. It's been a slow day.

Artemis Ellsworth looks down at his chest; at the gold star pinned to his chest. He remembers a time when the men wearing these were met with respect from all; not respect from some and bullets from others.

"Well, the times they are a-changin'." he says aloud to no one in particular. His voice betrays his age; a slightly-more-than middle aged man who's familiar with the bottom of an empty bottle.

He pours what little is left in the bottle by his chair into a rusty tin cup. Taking it all in in one gulp, he drops the flask back to the floor, the cup follows after he's made sure there's not a drop wasted.

Yep, he remembers a time when being the sheriff was like being a hero.

He remembers.

Last edited:
Application for Residency in Tumbleweed, USA

Screen Name: Byrd Man

Character's Name: Dr. James Amadeus Kippling III Esquire better known the Inkredible Dr. Kip!

Character's Occupation: Snake oil salesman.

Brief Description of the Character's Appearance and Personality: A skinny man with red hair, a thick moustache and spectacles on his face. He wears a dusty brown suit with a bowler on top of his head.

A true con-man, Dr. Kip will lie to anyone to get a buck. He's self-absorbed, greedy, and cowardly.

Sample Post:

"Step right up and be the first to witness the power of The Inkredible Dr. Kip's Life Tonik! It'll take the crack out of your back, put some pep in your step, you'll be living large and in charge! Discovered by me, Doctor James Amadeus Kippling III Esquire on my travels through the dark continent of Africa, this life potion was bestowed upon me by an African shaman, with the promise that I save lives with it. And I swear to you as I swore to Humbagumba that I will save lives!"

A small crowd starts to form below me as I stand on top of my wagon shouting in the middle of down town.

"Doesn't matter what vexes you, this bottle of life potion can cure you. Got a touch of the whooping cough? It'll whoop it right out of you! Case of the pox? Why, this potion is guaranteed to send the pox packing! Got lady trouble? Well, it even straightens your Longfellow, if you get my drift!"

The men chuckle while a few of the women blush.

"And for the minimal outlay of one dollar, you can take home a bottle of liquid Lothario, distilled Don Juan, catalytically-carbonated Cassanova. Lock old Rover in the shed, because man has a new best friend in The Inkredible Dr. Kip's Life Tonik!"

People start to pull coins and paper out of their pockets in an effort to be the first for my "tonik".

Yep, there's a sucker born every minute. But in Tumbleweed, I just gave birth to two dozen of them.

Damn Byrd. You even make me want to buy some of that stuff.

Screen Name: Catman_prb

Character's Name: Doctor John Rose

Character's Occupation: Tumbleweed's resident doctor, surgeon, mortician and whatever else is called of him.

Brief Description of the Character's Appearance and Personality: Doctor Rose can usually be seen walking around in his shirt sleeves with his spectacles hanging on a piece of string around his neck, but will occasionally be seen wearing a waistcoat and pocket-watch. His hair is a light brown with streaks of grey starting to show through. Rose is a purebred cynic with a tendancy to look for his troubles in the bottom of a bottle. While not the town drunk, he is a frequent customer of the local bar.

Sample Post:
"Miller, will you stop clowning around with that thing?"Doctor Rose asked of his young medical student, who had been playing some odd rhythm on a cadavers open ribs.

"We did it all the time at county!" the young man protested.

"Well this ain't there...some of my folks actually make it through the night," Rose muttered "Where is everyone this morning? I know for a fact that Miss Wendoline's young fella is having trouble with his junk, and Old Man Roberts's had a cough for the last three days,"

"They're all over at Doc Kipling's stall, boss. Even I got some of it!" Miller exclaimed happily. Rose glared at him and pulled the turquoise bottle off of him, lifted the stopper and sniffed it, before taking a swig.

"That old fraud," he muttered "It's just some cheap whiskey with a touch of aniseed. I swear to god, this time I'm going to put a stop to this,"

And with that, he walked out into the glaring midday's sun, looking for a fight.

Screenname:
Harlekin
Character's name: Jack Daniels
Character's occupation: Like his daddy before him, Jack Daniels is a carpenter. That is, he was, for he was called for the Confederate Army when the Civil War broke out.

Character's appearance and personality: Jack is your typical rugged American, blonde haired, blue eyed, checkered shirt, rolled up sleeves man's man. His hair is rather unkempt and he hasn't had a shave in a while. When he first enters Tumbleweed, he'll be wearing a Confederate soldier's uniform.

Before the War, Jack was a relatively succesful carpenter and he has the personality to match a man of wealth and means: slightly arrogant and he can be a little flashy with his money.

Where one might make a mistake though, is thinking he was forced into the Confederate Army. On the contrary, Jack practically volunteered and is a staunch supporter of the cause.

Sample post:
Through gritted teeth, Jack Daniels moaned. He started to breathe heavily as he gripped his shoulder, his chest heaving up and down. The soldier was sitting back against a ball of hay in a run-down wood shack. Sweat covered his brow. He was biting back the pain.

Through the cracks in the wooden walls of the hut, Jack could see torches. He heard yells and the neighing of horses. Heavy soles beat down on the dry ground. They were looking for him. He'd have to get out of there before the sun came up.

"Hrrrnnn." Jack crawled over to the door. Taking the handkerchief that he had tied around his neck, the gifted carpenter let his shoulder go and quickly tied the piece of cloth around his injury. Jack fastened the knot with his teeth.

Huffing, the wounded man pulled himself up by the door.

Seeing the posse leave, Jack slowly made his way out of the barn.

Amazingly, he was able to limp his way to the town's edge without anyone spotting him.

A sign by the road told him his destination.

Tumbleweed, 10 miles.

Last edited:
YAHOOO!

Screen Name: Sensei o'Da Cheese

Character's Name: Artemis G. Ellsworth

Character's Occupation: Sheriff

Brief Description of the Character's Appearance and Personality: Artemis is a righetous man; a good man. He does what he can to make sure that justice is served and the good people of Tumbleweed can go to bed safe at night. But that ain't always an easy thing to do. He's been the sheriff for quite a few years and in that time he's gotten more and more disallusioned to the concept of 'justice', after seeing horrible men do horrible things and get away with it. Jaded as he is, he still tries his hardest to protect and serve the citizens of his town

Sample Post:

The liquor runs down his throat, silky smooth. This is the fourth glass he's emptied since noon. It's been a slow day.

Artemis Ellsworth looks down at his chest; at the gold star pinned to his chest. He remembers a time when the men wearing these were met with respect from all; not respect from some and bullets from others.

"Well, the times they are a-changin'." he says aloud to no one in particular. His voice betrays his age; a slightly-more-than middle aged man who's familiar with the bottom of an empty bottle.

He pours what little is left in the bottle by his chair into a rusty tin cup. Taking it all in in one gulp, he drops the flask back to the floor, the cup follows after he's made sure there's not a drop wasted.

Yep, he remembers a time when being the sheriff was like being a hero.

He remembers.

Screen Name: Byrd Man

Character's Name: Dr. James Amadeus Kippling III Esquire better known the Inkredible Dr. Kip!

Character's Occupation: Snake oil salesman.

Brief Description of the Character's Appearance and Personality: A skinny man with red hair, a thick moustache and spectacles on his face. He wears a dusty brown suit with a bowler on top of his head.

A true con-man, Dr. Kip will lie to anyone to get a buck. He's self-absorbed, greedy, and cowardly.

Sample Post:

"Step right up and be the first to witness the power of The Inkredible Dr. Kip's Life Tonik! It'll take the crack out of your back, put some pep in your step, you'll be living large and in charge! Discovered by me, Doctor James Amadeus Kippling III Esquire on my travels through the dark continent of Africa, this life potion was bestowed upon me by an African shaman, with the promise that I save lives with it. And I swear to you as I swore to Humbagumba that I will save lives!"

A small crowd starts to form below me as I stand on top of my wagon shouting in the middle of down town.

"Doesn't matter what vexes you, this bottle of life potion can cure you. Got a touch of the whooping cough? It'll whoop it right out of you! Case of the pox? Why, this potion is guaranteed to send the pox packing! Got lady trouble? Well, it even straightens your Longfellow, if you get my drift!"

The men chuckle while a few of the women blush.

"And for the minimal outlay of one dollar, you can take home a bottle of liquid Lothario, distilled Don Juan, catalytically-carbonated Cassanova. Lock old Rover in the shed, because man has a new best friend in The Inkredible Dr. Kip's Life Tonik!"

People start to pull coins and paper out of their pockets in an effort to be the first for my "tonik".

Yep, there's a sucker born every minute. But in Tumbleweed, I just gave birth to two dozen of them.

Screen Name: Catman_prb

Character's Name: Doctor John Rose

Character's Occupation: Tumbleweed's resident doctor, surgeon, mortician and whatever else is called of him.

Brief Description of the Character's Appearance and Personality: Doctor Rose can usually be seen walking around in his shirt sleeves with his spectacles hanging on a piece of string around his neck, but will occasionally be seen wearing a waistcoat and pocket-watch. His hair is a light brown with streaks of grey starting to show through. Rose is a purebred cynic with a tendancy to look for his troubles in the bottom of a bottle. While not the town drunk, he is a frequent customer of the local bar.

Sample Post:
"Miller, will you stop clowning around with that thing?"Doctor Rose asked of his young medical student, who had been playing some odd rhythm on a cadavers open ribs.

"We did it all the time at county!" the young man protested.

"Well this ain't there...some of my folks actually make it through the night," Rose muttered "Where is everyone this morning? I know for a fact that Miss Wendoline's young fella is having trouble with his junk, and Old Man Roberts's had a cough for the last three days,"

"They're all over at Doc Kipling's stall, boss. Even I got some of it!" Miller exclaimed happily. Rose glared at him and pulled the turquoise bottle off of him, lifted the stopper and sniffed it, before taking a swig.

"That old fraud," he muttered "It's just some cheap whiskey with a touch of aniseed. I swear to god, this time I'm going to put a stop to this,"

And with that, he walked out into the glaring midday's sun, looking for a fight.

Screenname:
Harlekin
Character's name: Jack Daniels
Character's occupation: Like his daddy before him, Jack Daniels is a carpenter. That is, he was, for he was called for the Confederate Army when the Civil War broke out.

Character's appearance and personality: Jack is your typical rugged American, blonde haired, blue eyed, checkered shirt, rolled up sleeves man's man. His hair is rather unkempt and he hasn't had a shave in a while. When he first enters Tumbleweed, he'll be wearing a Confederate soldier's uniform.

Before the War, Jack was a relatively succesful carpenter and he has the personality to match a man of wealth and means: slightly arrogant and he can be a little flashy with his money.

Where one might make a mistake though, is thinking he was forced into the Confederate Army. On the contrary, Jack practically volunteered and is a staunch supporter of the cause.

Sample post:
Through gritted teeth, Jack Daniels moaned. He started to breathe heavily as he gripped his shoulder, his chest heaving up and down. The soldier was sitting back against a ball of hay in a run-down wood shack. Sweat covered his brow. He was biting back the pain.

Through the cracks in the wooden walls of the hut, Jack could see torches. He heard yells and the neighing of horses. Heavy soles beat down on the dry ground. They were looking for him. He'd have to get out of there before the sun came up.

"Hrrrnnn." Jack crawled over to the door. Taking the handkerchief that he had tied around his neck, the gifted carpenter let his shoulder go and quickly tied the piece of cloth around his injury. Jack fastened the knot with his teeth.

Huffing, the wounded man pulled himself up by the door.

Seeing the posse leave, Jack slowly made his way out of the barn.

Amazingly, he was able to limp his way to the town's edge without anyone spotting him.

A sign by the road told him his destination.

Tumbleweed, 10 miles.

All accepted. This is shaping up to be a good cast of characters.

Screen Name:
Kara Kent

Character's Name: Jean O'Hara

Character's Occupation: Burlesque Dancer

Brief Description of the Character's Appearance and Personality: Always seen showing some leg, doesn't like the fact she's not allowed to show off her body. Blonde long curls, emerald green eyes. Really flirtatious to the men, especially the Sheriff, because she sometimes steals money of people in the bar. More clever than she seems, hates being tied down with a relationship.

Sample Post:
Jean O'Hara stood backstage, she looked around at all the other Burlesque dancers. Jean was more of an outcast, she didn't like being all giggly and bright all the time. Neither did she like to interact with them. Jean felt insecure all the time, slightly paranoid. Her red dress glittered in the dim light. Suddenly, another dancer came running up to her.
"What?" Jean spat out, carefully taking lipstick from a table nearby.
"Ooh! I've lost an earring, what am I gonna do? Do ya think the boss will notice? I mean, it don't look too bad....right?" The woman panicked. Jean shot up, she placed the lipstick in the woman's hand and walked away. She didn't want to "Cheer up" anyone. She just wanted the hard cold cash. One way or another.

Jean made her way out of the changing rooms, she turned a few sharp corners and walked down a couple of stairs, into the Cellar. A man was hunched over a beer wagon, it looked like he was examining it.
"Hey! You! Who are you?" Jean shouted, she stomped over to the rather large man. She tapped him on the back, several times. The man grumbled and slowly turned around.
"Well? You gonna answer me or are you too drunk?" Jean questioned. The man nodded, he smiled. He lunged forward, grabbing Jean's cheeks. Jean tried to scream but she couldn't. Jean struggled, she tried to hurt him but he was pushing her back into the table. Eventually Jean had slammed onto the table. The man let out a big breath, it stank of Liquor. The man's eyes widened, he smiled again.
"Say 'Ello to Pa, Jeanette"

Here we go, this was an idea I had for a character in the Star Wars RPG, but never got around to it, so I'll just adapt him for this one.

Screen Name: RGDurant

Character's Name: Patrick Setter

Character's Occupation: Town Drunk, though he makes money as a tobacconist

Brief Description of the Character's Appearance and Personality: 5 feet, 10 inches in height, 166 pounds in weight. Black hair, brown eyes, dark stubble around chin, has a small scar on his left hand. Wears a grey shirt, brown trousers, suspenders, brown boots, and a slouch hat

A very unstable and bipolar man, Patrick lives in vice. He drinks constantly and spends nearly all his time in The Froggy Dog.

He not only regularly inbibes alcohol, but tobacco, opiates, cocaine, and when he can get it, peyote. He is capable of being friendly, but is more than often prone to being violent.

With women, he claims to have been very lucky in his pursuit of carnal pleasure, he indulges in prostitutes and is believed to have a history of bigomy.

Sample Post:

"Camp town ladies siiiing this sooooong, de dear de da da da........"

Patrick sang into his half a glass of whisky as more of the amber liquor met his tounge and dripped out the sides of his mouth.

"Hey, shut your mouth, I gettin sick of you and your damn singin." a cowhand at the other end of the bar said to Patrick, who stared up at the angry young man with glazed eyes. "Come oer here an say that again, didn't really hear so good."

The ranchhand got and walk towards him, grabbing the drunken Patrick by the collar, " I said......."

But before the young man could say another word, Patrick broke his empty glass across his face, the boy fell and cried while bleeding. Patrick kicked him in anger, "Beat the piss outta you!!".

When he was done beating up on the ranchhand and the patron dragged the kid out, he took the bottle of whisky in his hand. He pulled out a small bottle of laudnum, poured both the intoxicating liquids into a fresh glass, and down it in one swig. Falling over on the floor, Patrick chuckled and got back up.

"Gimme another bottle."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"