The Amazing Spider-Man Two Years Ago

Without turning this into a forbidden Raimi vs Webb debate, I guarantee you any people you have seen with that opinion, and I doubt you've seen that many, are a minority. In fact I'd say most of them were like me back in 2012, initially liked the movie, but once the shine wears off you see the thousand and ones flaws and cracks that tarnish it. The TASM movies struggle to keep up not only with the previous Spider-Man movies, critically, financially, and in popularity, but they get eclipsed by all the other great comic book movies, too.

This year is a brilliant example. Guardians of the Galaxy, Days of Future Past, and The Winter Soldier wiped the floor with TASM 2. It's not even in the same ballpark as them. It's the dud of the year.

To be fair it still sounds like you are basing it on your own opinion, I have still heard people say they like TASM even if they were disappointed with TASM2

But usually it's what's going on with the times that gathers people with certain tastes together, during the time TASM2 was coming out there was a lot of Raimi hate on boards which bothered a lot of people who liked the movies, the organic shooters, MJ, all of SM3, Peter dancing, Toby crying, power ranger goblin to name a few, there was a lot of it infact that came out of the water works

As for TASM2 performance this year... That doesn't say much the others were a lot better received

To be fair it still sounds like you are basing it on your own opinion, I have still heard people say they like TASM even if they were disappointed with TASM2

But usually it's what's going on with the times that gathers people with certain tastes together, during the time TASM2 was coming out there was a lot of Raimi hate on boards which bothered a lot of people who liked the movies, the organic shooters, MJ, all of SM3, Peter dancing, Toby crying, power ranger goblin to name a few, there was a lot of it infact that came out of the water works

As for TASM2 performance this year... That doesn't say much the others were a lot better received

I never said nobody in the world likes TASM. I said it's not held in high regard by many, and you very rarely see either of the TASM movies ranked with the greats. That's why I believe they won't stand the test of time. I don't think TASM does even now.

During the time before TASM 2 came out, there was a lot of stupidity going on the TASM 2 boards. My personal favorite being the hilarious notion that TASM 2 was going to be The Dark Knight of the Spidey movies, and it turned out to be more akin to Batman Forever or Batman and Robin. I don't take pre production movie madness seriously. Fans say all kinds of rubbish to big up the hype and status of the up coming movie.

I'm not sure what you mean by the performance not saying much just because the others were a lot better received. The reason they were better received is because they were much better movies. Therefore they outdid TASM 2. I mean we're talking about Spider-Man here, one of the biggest icons of the CBM genre, and he can't keep up with THREE different franchises in one year, one of them a newbie with a talking tree and a talking raccoon as lead characters.

It's not because audiences are jaded with comic book movies as some like to believe. On the contrary they've never been more popular as the other aforementioned ones are proving. It's because the Spidey movies are just not up to a decent standard.

Last edited:
It's crazy how people say it's a bad movie when it's giving SM2 the called "masterpiece" a hard time.

I honestly don't care though,I enjoy both franchises but TASM has the little more.

I loved TASM when it came out, but for the sequel I was completely blown away. I have never seen a film in the theaters that has touched me so deeply since The Lord of the Rings. I cherish tasm2

I left the theater very happy. Don't get me wrong I love the Raimi films(well the first two) but something about this one...And as unpopular opinion as it is, I loved the sequel too!

I left the theater very happy. Don't get me wrong I love the Raimi films(well the first two) but something about this one...And as unpopular opinion as it is, I loved the sequel too!

After sm4 was cancelld I was really made has I though why and I thought the new one asm1 at the time would suck but I liked it but thought it was far form great and now with asm2 I think it is by far the second best sm movie behind only sm2 and my 4th favorit CBM ever so know unlike most people I have forgave sony has I am happy with both asm1 and 2 but at the same time part of me wonders what sm4 would have been like with rami.

My initial thought and belief leading up to the release was I would boycott because I was so angry at how Raimi had been treated by Arad and Sony.

My anger still in place, I wanted to see how Garfield was going to do, the general vibe from Webb and he was pretty strong ahead of release, in press and the 2nd Trailer really worked for me.

At the cinema, I loved it, as much as I love Raimi's films, I felt aspects of ASM supassed his films and in certain areas Spider-Man was better.

Fundamentally though, I came out of the cinema really happy, loved Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield together, incredible on screen together, Sheen was excellent as Uncle Ben, Sally Field a much more convincing Aunt May, solid ingredients to new set of films. Sadly ASM 2 has ended all that. :csad:

I still quite like ASM1 (7/10) but The Joker is right.

I enjoyed it and liked it very much when it came out, I just finished watching it and still enjoyed it and liked it. I probably hadn't seen it since the blu came out...

my favorite spider-man movie is TASM, it needed a few fixes here and there but overall i like what they did with it

i think the music is interesting in TASM and TASM2, as in the first one it very romance fantasy like you opened a box of magic and you are just exploring it for the first time, while the 2nd was attempting to be more EPIC, buzzing and exciting

i mention the music because i think the music choice is based on what the overal tone of the movie was mean't to be

I thought it was alright. I don't think it knew the story it wanted to tell and abandoned plot threads throughout. The Lizard was fairly one-demensional and some of the setups were lazy. Garfield wasn't a great Peter Parker and his Spidey was kind of a jerk. The costume was also horrible.

I know that makes it sound like I hated it but I enjoyed the chemistry between Garfield and Stone and there were some cool Spidey moments.

I thought it was alright. I don't think it knew the story it wanted to tell and abandoned plot threads throughout. The Lizard was fairly one-demensional and some of the setups were lazy. Garfield wasn't a great Peter Parker and his Spidey was kind of a jerk. The costume was also horrible.

I know that makes it sound like I hated it but I enjoyed the chemistry between Garfield and Stone and there were some cool Spidey moments.

Here's a couple of open ended thoughts I want to pose to everyone after reading this post, since there's been a lot of criticism towards Garfield's Peter Parker:

Are you okay with other characters (outside the main characters such as Peter, May, Ben, etc.) being different from their source material as much as you care about the main characters being accurate to their source material?

Or do you not really care if any of the characters are according to their comic book arcs?

I'm just curious about how everyone feels regarding this reoccuring criticism of Garfield's Parker. I'm open to many interpretations of a character as long as the core of the character is still there.

At first I was all "meh", especially after Avengers, but after getting the Blu-ray, I still think it's meh.

The sequel is just a cluster**** of multiple movies in one. There are elements that are good, but then others that were just ugh. It left a bad taste in my mouth, and frankly, I'm glad its done, because Sony totally botched the film's potential.

I enjoyed TASM when it came out. Thought it was good. The problem for me with both TASM movies is that they were nice to see at the cinema, but the kind of movies that just fell apart the more I thought about them, and they didn't stand the test of time. I think the inner comic book geek in me appreciated the TASM movies more on a geek level. All the references to the comics, all the small details. Like having the webshooters (even though I prefer organic), getting Sinister Six teased, and a bunch of other details that they worked into the movies for us hardcore fans to get excited about. The problem is that they failed to craft good movies around these details IMO. The Raimi movies are just much better as movies. The TASM movies might have individual details that they got better, but the filmmaking just isn't nearly as good, and the emotional core isn't nearly as strong.

I enjoyed TASM when it came out. Thought it was good. The problem for me with both TASM movies is that they were nice to see at the cinema, but the kind of movies that just fell apart the more I thought about them, and they didn't stand the test of time. I think the inner comic book geek in me appreciated the TASM movies more on a geek level. All the references to the comics, all the small details. Like having the webshooters (even though I prefer organic), getting Sinister Six teased, and a bunch of other details that they worked into the movies for us hardcore fans to get excited about. The problem is that they failed to craft good movies around these details IMO. The Raimi movies are just much better as movies. The TASM movies might have individual details that they got better, but the filmmaking just isn't nearly as good, and the emotional core isn't nearly as strong.

That's pretty much how I felt.

I never had a problem with the organics in the Raimi films, but when we got webshooters in TASM it was more "Webshooters. Yay?" because of how that was questionably handled in the film. All the cameos in TASM2 was cool at first glance but then it wears off fast and I see there is absolutely no point for any of them to be there. I read somewhere Felicia wasn't even named Felicia until they decided on the day of shooting, because why not? Smythe- or completely interchangeable work bully? Mary Jane for a scene or two, yeah! But no wait, this is already too crowded for no reason.

The characters in the Raimi films aren't just there to pad things out or tell the diehards, "Hey, look! For you!"- they have reasons to be there. Heck, one small sort of easter egg character I can think of in the Raimi movies was Dr. Stromm, and he made sense because he had the same role in the comics working with Osborn and whatnot.

In regards to the references to the comics, they certainly felt more like surface level acknowledgements just to tickle the hardcore fans a bit. Outside of that, there didn't seem to be much significance to any of them.

Yes, there were the web shooters, but how badly did they butcher some of the core elements of Peter's intelligence? "The Night Gwen Stacy Died" was also nice to see, but what about the failure to explain the significance and dynamic that the arcs from the comics relayed to the readers? Yes, the idea of the S6 got me excited even prior to TASM2, but, without even looking at the leaked emails, it was obvious things were going downhill. Plus, there's no point of having all these references if they were going to choke on core aspects such as Harry killing Gwen...:loco:

Andrew's Peter Parker might as well have had organic web shooters. They were so pointless in the TASM films.

I enjoyed TASM1 when it first came out. I thought it was a bit better put together than SM3 and that I really enjoyed the chemistry between Garfield and Stone. I also liked the new suit and thought the fight between Spider-Man and the Lizard at the school was great. However, I remember coming out of it and thinking that it was alright but ultimately pointless. What happened to "The Untold Story"? And why did it feel as if there were multiple story/character important material left out of the film?

In the end, cutting out all those important scene hurt the film made me wish then and even now that Raimi got to make SM4 without Sony trying to rush him to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"