Underrated CB movies

For me....Spider-man 3 and The Incredible Hulk.

Both Hulk movies
DareDevil: Director's Cut
Punisher (2004)
Both Judge Dredd movies, even more with the Stallone one
X-Men 3
Fantastic Four
Man of Steel
The Rocketeer

There are a lot of movies listed here that I can't believe people are calling UNDERRATED. Movies like Batman '89, which I thought was almost universally loved (at least loved enough to spawn 3 sequels anyway). Others, I agree are VERY underrated, while some aren't underrated at all, they're just awful (like Batman & Robin).

I certainly agree that the following movies are underrated:

The Watchmen
I find this movie very watchable. The casting, acting, costumes, and sets are all very well done. The story itself is very faithful to the source material (except for a couple of relatively minor liberties taken). Sure, the story moves at a pretty slow pace. But guess what? So did the comic! I really don't get all the hate this movie seems to attract.

The Fantastic Four 1 & 2
While not great superhero movies by any means, they are incredibly watchable. Three out of the four leads were very good in their roles. The only one that seemed forced was Jessica Alba. Not that I don't think she's a good actress, because I do, I just think she was all wrong for that particular role. She was simply Hollywood's latest "It Girl". The actor who played Doctor Doom was okay in the role as well, it was just that the character was poorly written. Had they maintained his true origin story I think that the film would've been far better received. But still, the sets, costumes, basic story, acting, etc, was all quite good.

Spiderman 3
I agree it should have been just about The New Goblin and The Sandman, or maybe New Goblin and Venom, but having all three in there was too cluttered. However, the acting, VFX, etc, were all top notch. Just as good as the previous two installments, if not better.

Dare Devil
I actually found this movie to be very well thought out and exciting. I don't really get all the hate that it constantly receives. I even enjoyed the fight in the park between Matt & Elektra (a scene which seems to be the main reason why everyone else seems to hate the movie). I didn't even mind them making The Kingpin black (how many extremely large, strong, bald headed actors do you think are out there?).

I can't really come up with anything else right now. It's after midnight and my eyelids keep trying to close on me. I might add more later.

Underrated well rather than go over a few films I'm gonna talk about one specifically Green Lantern, whilst its certainly not the most testing story of them all, its pretty basic bit is there really anything wrong with that?

Is it perfect? No. But it's by no means bad at all, it's entertaining, Ryan Reynolds definitely delivers as Hal Jordan and the action scenes are pretty top notch. The CGI is fantastic and even sometimes breathtaking (Planet OA). I also really like the score, which has been ripped apart.

It's a film I continue to enjoy, despite its flaws it's not like other CBMs i.e. Superman Returns where I can't watch it without thinking why didn't they do the or that, I simply enjoy it for what it is.

Batman Forever.

This movie gets pigeon-holed with Batman & Robin and that is wrong. Granted it's not perfect, but there are moments that are pretty damn good.

I agree with this.

Blade 2. The first movie, I thought was just...OK, but Blade 2 took it to a whole other level. While the first movie touched on the aristocracy within the vampire clan, Blade 2 expounded on that, and having the chief villain being a failed experiment of the main vampires and the son of their leader was genius. While the other Blade movies (and that horrible TV show), I could care less about, this is one that I really could watch over and over.

Underrated well rather than go over a few films I'm gonna talk about one specifically Green Lantern, whilst its certainly not the most testing story of them all, its pretty basic bit is there really anything wrong with that?

Is it perfect? No. But it's by no means bad at all, it's entertaining, Ryan Reynolds definitely delivers as Hal Jordan and the action scenes are pretty top notch. The CGI is fantastic and even sometimes breathtaking (Planet OA). I also really like the score, which has been ripped apart.

It's a film I continue to enjoy, despite its flaws it's not like other CBMs i.e. Superman Returns where I can't watch it without thinking why didn't they do the or that, I simply enjoy it for what it is.

I agree with this.

Dredd
Kick-Ass
Iron Man 2
Watchmen
Daredevil (theatrical and director's cut)
The Shadow (film is "meh" but the music score is amazing)
Captain America '90's version (just to anger the nerds out there)

Captain America (90s) is pure 80s fun, plus it has Ronny Cox.

'nuff said

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990)-Fun, but with some pretty dark moments/themes, a good message about family and fathers. Excellent fight scenes and a badass Shredder.

Daredevil: The Director's Cut-Turns a mediocre movie into a very good one. Ben Affleck was really good (all of his best scenes were cut out of the theatrical cut), Jon Favreau is great as Foggy Nelson, two really good villains, and good actions scenes.

The Punisher (2004)-Fantastic performance by Thomas Jane, excellent tone, and badass action.

Hellboy 1&2-Guillermo Del Toro and Ron Pearlman, excellent visuals and great character interactions.

Batman Forever-Val Kilmer is a pretty good Batman/Bruce Wayne. I actually attempts to be about Batman and explore his character (unlike the Burton films), the fight scenes were pretty good and it was mostly really fun.

Iron Man 3
Is Iron Man 3 really underrated? It got positive critical reviews, was HUGELY financially successful, and despite some whining from certain comic fans, most of the GA (who are what really matter ultimately) really liked it.

I think IM3 is the most overrated of them all, worse than TDKR.

Tony Stark sharp humour is one thing, Shane Black recycled for over 20 years horse***** are another.

Instead of adding his style into the mythos he violently stuffed his overused trademarks all over the place and for me it didn't work. Frankly i haven't heard anyone outside of America to have loved the film. They had fun with it, i did too but the reaction it got from a lot of people was absurd. People putting it up there with the Dark Knight and Iron Man 1. It is a very flawed and overrated movie. It didn't deserve the 1 billion box office.

I think IM3 is the most overrated of them all, worse than TDKR.

Tony Stark sharp humour is one thing, Shane Black recycled for over 20 years horse***** are another.

Instead of adding his style into the mythos he violently stuffed his overused trademarks all over the place and for me it didn't work. Frankly i haven't heard anyone outside of America to have loved the film. They had fun with it, i did too but the reaction it got from a lot of people was absurd. People putting it up there with the Dark Knight and Iron Man 1. It is a very flawed and overrated movie. It didn't deserve the 1 billion box office.

*points up*

And thus you get evidence for why IM3 is underrated, delivered straight to your doorstep. :oldrazz:

Overrated? To me, in these boards the film seems hated by almost everyone. It doesn't deserve so much hate, it was a very entertaining film IMO.

Senator Pleasury thanks you for your detailed reply. :up:

I'll just refer to the "few seconds ruining a whole movie" subject you mention. I see it the following way: it's like saying that a tiny little fly on the plate can ruin your soup. Or that a little black spot can ruin the whole white carpet. I seriously believe a few seconds and/or scenes can actually ruin a movie.

Bad comparison. A fly in your meal contaminates your food, and irrevocably so. Nowhere near similar.

On the contrary, I'd compare it to running through a puddle during a marathon. It's a small hurdle to overcome in an otherwise long journey or trek. Putting too much emphasis on the small stuff is the definition of missing the forest for the trees.

Bad comparison. A fly in your meal contaminates your food, and irrevocably so. Nowhere near similar.

Exactly my point.

On the contrary, I'd compare it to running through a puddle during a marathon. It's a small hurdle to overcome in an otherwise long journey or trek. Putting too much emphasis on the small stuff is the definition of missing the forest for the trees.

Difference is, the bad scenes I was talking about were no accident, like the puddle you mention, but voluntary "artistic" decisions.

Already Kick-Ass 2 is very under-rated for me, especially by the critics, many fans seem to love it but the critics have seemingly put the GA off a bit.

The movie wasnt as good as Kick-Ass 1, that is clear, but it is really good follow-up that progresses the story in the right ways that help the characters develop.

Dredd
Kick-Ass
Iron Man 2
Watchmen
Daredevil (theatrical and director's cut)
The Shadow (film is "meh" but the music score is amazing)
Captain America '90's version (just to anger the nerds out there)

I agree with all except for the last one

I won't mention Burton's Batmans and Watchmen, because I think they have a decent "following" and the respect of many. But I still kind of mentioned them, didn't I?

My list:

- Incredible Hulk
- Daredevil
- Constantine
- Hellboy
- Hellboy: Golden army

Especially the last three, for me, are almost too fun to watch. I haven't seen Dredd yet and even though I'm not a fan of the comics (not that I hate them, just didn't read them) I have a feeling I might like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"