Unpopular Comic Book Opinions - Part 1

The Unpopular Movie Opinions thread has been interesting, so why not have a similar thread for comics? State your unpopular opinions here. Need I say be respectful of the opinions posted here? I'll go first.

Watchmen is one of the most overrated comics ever. I found the story to be long, winding and disorganized. The character bios were unnecessary, as was the story of the Black Freighter.

Ultimate Spider-Man is good but it hasnt been great since about issue 50, more or less.

I'm still happy that Norman Osborn was revealed to be behind the Clone Saga. He has become a much better villain, imo, after his resurrection than before.

The Clone Saga was bad but not as bad as the 1998-2001 reboot or BND. There were genuinely interesting moments between Peter and Ben, while the reboot and BND have been pandering to those that just want senseless action.

Lucifer is superior to The Sandman. In pretty much every way.

Brian Bendis is a terrible writer.

Deadpool MAX is an amazing comic book that is much more than shock tactics.

Uncanny X-Force is the best X-Men book this century (so far) by quite a margin.

Invincible Iron Man is a decompressed mess and apart from Immortal Iron Fist Matt Fraction has never impressed me.

Although I have enjoyed a lot of his work on Batman, Grant Morrison is a bit self indulgent with his writing.

Secret Six is the best DC book out right now.

Uncanny X-Force is the best X-Men book this century (so far) by quite a margin.

Those are the only two unpopular opinions around here.

Someone should start a Correct Comic Book Opinions thread, I think it'd be quite the success! :awesome:

-I really did not care for Tim Sale's depiction of "Poison Ivy" in The Long Halloweenand Dark Victory. Along with those characters, I did not care for the scripted and illustrated Scarecrow either.
-While I enjoy the works of Alan Moore, it seems that every one of his graphic novels involves a rape subplot. It gets quite old after a while.
-The DDP/??? Halloween Comics. While I enjoy the writing in the Hutchinson helmed series, it tends to go overboard with the gore. Don't get me wrong - I'm not offended by it, but am slightly irritated as what made Carpenter's film great was the minimum usage of it. Of course, I can't say my criticisms apply to the entire run, as the last issue of FDOLS and Halloween: Mark of Thorn have been canceled...

Last edited:
-While I enjoy the works of Alan Moore, it seems that every one of his graphic novels involves a rape subplot. It gets quite old after a while.
Y'know, I always wondered what Mongul was doing to Superman before Batman, Wonder Woman, and Robin showed up.

When has this been the case in any of his books besides Watchmen?

When has this been the case in any of his books besides Watchmen?

theres the scene in LXG with Hyde and the invisible man, and in the killing joke I think what Joker does to Barbara would be pretty close to without going there.

theres the scene in LXG with Hyde and the invisible man, and in the killing joke I think what Joker does to Barbara would be pretty close to without going there.

I wouldn't call the thing with Hyde a subplot, it was one part of one scene and was very much something the character would do in that instance, and while what The Joker did to Barbara is horrible I don't think it really counts as a "rape sub plot."

And what about the dozens of other things he's written?

I love Gaiman. Absolutely wonderful writer. But Sandman is vastly overrated in my opinion. Good series? Yes. Wonderful imagery throughout? You bet. Not as good as many make it out to be. Just doesn't do much for me.

I love Gaiman. Absolutely wonderful writer. But Sandman is vastly overrated in my opinion. Good series? Yes. Wonderful imagery throughout? You bet. Not as good as many make it out to be. Just doesn't do much for me.

Oh I still really like The Sandman. I just thought it was inconsistant. Some arcs were a real chore to get through. And I also just prefer Lucifer to Dream, as you can probably tell by my user name. :cwink:

I wouldn't call the thing with Hyde a subplot, it was one part of one scene and was very much something the character would do in that instance, and while what The Joker did to Barbara is horrible I don't think it really counts as a "rape sub plot."

And what about the dozens of other things he's written?

oh I'm not criticizing, he is one of my favorites of all time. I just started thinking of things when the topic got brought up.

I don't know how much of an unpopular opinion it is but Mark Millar really doesn't do much for me. I love Wanted but thats about it. I don't think Kick-ass has much re-readability and I gave Nemesis and Superior a first issue chance and stopped right there.

Oh I still really like The Sandman. I just thought it was inconsistant. Some arcs were a real chore to get through. And I also just prefer Lucifer to Dream, as you can probably tell by my user name. :cwink:
That's what I think I have a problem with. When it was good, it was fun to read through. When it was so so it was definitely a drag

I see. Just curious, what is the best X book this century according to popular opinion on this forum?

Depending on who you ask, you might get Whedon's run of Astonishing X-Men, Morrison's New X-Men*, or X-Factor. I hear that Uncanny X-Force is the best on the shelf right now (I'd disagree), but I haven't heard anyone call it the best X-book since the turn of the century.

*You might also hear that Morrison's run was vastly overrated. There's no clear consensus on this forum when it comes to Morrison's work.

That's what I think I have a problem with. When it was good, it was fun to read through. When it was so so it was definitely a drag

Cool. Glad we agree.

Depending on who you ask, you might get Whedon's run of Astonishing X-Men, Morrison's New X-Men*, or X-Factor. I hear that Uncanny X-Force is the best on the shelf right now (I'd disagree), but I haven't heard anyone call it the best X-book since the turn of the century.

*You might also hear that Morrison's run was vastly overrated. There's no clear consensus on this forum when it comes to Morrison's work.

I liked Morrison's and Whedon's too. I also enjoy X-Factor. I just think UXF is so good because it was surprising. Looking at the team and the history of the book at first glance it would just appear to be a grim dark excersize in violence. But it's more character driven (Deadpool written as something more than a clown?!) and doesn't take the violence lightly like the last X-Force book, which I thought was terrible. I guess that could be seen as unpopular too?

Moore and Rape:

-V for Vendetta: Evey is nearly raped, but is saved at the last minute by V. Her close encounter is how she met V.
-LXG 1: Excluding Hyde, how about Skinner in the Girls' School?
-LXG 2: Skinner, once again, this time with Mina.
-LXG Black Dossier: "Bond" nearly rapes his contact in the beginning.
-LXG Century 1910: Nemo's daughter is raped.
-Watchmen: The Comedian & Silk Spectre 1
-The Killing Joke: Joker nearly (or does) rape Barbara.
-Lost Girls: The Peter Pan Section.

Now, these are all the ones that I am aware of...let's face it: Moore usually writes sexual violence against women. Don't get me wrong: I enjoy his writings, but have become somewhat tired of rape appearing.

Did Skinner rape Mina? I thought she said he just beat her up. Though, I know Hyde raped him when he caught up to him.

If you think that stuff is bad, stay the hell away from Neonomicon. Seriously.

Misposted; mods please move this to the Correct Comic Opinions thread.

I hate Bendis' writing too, but it has to be an unpopular opinion since his Avengers books are always 2 of the highest selling monthly Marvel books.

Winick's original run on Exiles was the best run on any X-book since the turn of the century. The only reason it doesn't get the respect it deserves is because Chuck Austin turned the book to ****.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"