The Winter Soldier Update the outfit for next solo film

I think it will be great if Cap' got his Marvel-Now-!-Costume , like in this cover by McNiven :
avengers1pg4.jpg

I think it's a little more modern-soldier outfit
Hate this outfit.

You guys need to understand this is not about soldiering. This is about symbolism and iconography. Chinstraps look stupid on costumes like this.

Yeah still don't like that. Except for the white to go all the way around the sleeves instead of a square-ish patch on the biceps.

Yeah, I don't need the chin strap. I think if they just exposed the ears on the new helmet and cut the eye holes more like the ones on TFA's helmet, then you'd have a great Cap headpiece.

I understand the iconography of the comic outfit but some things look great in a static image and don't translate in practice. The fully covered neck connected to helmet with no chinstrap is the reason it looked off. The material on his neck bunches up when he moves his head even a little bit and there's nothing to mask that or help hold it in place. It's completely impractical.

Yeah, I don't need the chin strap. I think if they just exposed the ears on the new helmet and cut the eye holes more like the ones on TFA's helmet, then you'd have a great Cap headpiece.

The chinstrap actually gives Evans a stronger looking jawline. Exposing the eyes doesn't really add anything. To me, the avengers helmet was for too round. And it made Evans jawline rather chubby looking and soft. The TFA suit worked better in that regard.

Yeah, with Evans face, and the shape of the helmet, I think the chinstrap works.
Crudely added some 'armor'.
8ABD1B4D-FCC1-4B05-A489-3647005EA710-50320-00002563C766F353.jpg

The chinstrap actually gives Evans a stronger looking jawline. Exposing the eyes doesn't really add anything. To me, the avengers helmet was for too round. And it made Evans jawline rather chubby looking and soft. The TFA suit worked better in that regard.
They really just need to fine tune it. Obviously there were last minute changes with the suit that they didn't quite work out.

The suit works they just need to tweak it a little.

Chin straps look stupid.

They really just need to fine tune it. Obviously there were last minute changes with the suit that they didn't quite work out.

The suit works they just need to tweak it a little.

Chin straps look stupid.

Agree to disagree.
I feel it further serves to bridge the military/hero costume connection Cap has.
Say what you will about the Ultimates comic series, (Millar/Hitch) when Hitch intro'd the look in the second series, I was an instant fan, as I felt it gave Cap
A slightly more unique look, as opposed to a variation of a Daredevil,Bullseye, Blue Beetle/Flash/Giantman cloth masks.

Mind You, I'm NOT opposed to seeing the traditional mask, but I feel that in terms of the Chinstrap vs non Chinstrap in film, The Chinstrap Helm thus far is the superior looking of the two on Evans.

It did work better for him in TFA
But I don't want his armor to continue to evolve into looking like actual military battle gear
The more superhero-y, the better for me
That MarvelNOW suit is wayyyyy too busy (im not shutting up about this), and I don't want him to look like some soldier with a blue painted outfit
The most disgusting thing I ever saw was his outfit in Ultimates a few months back where it was the gear modern military wear, just kinda blue and with an 'A' painted on the helmet.

He's a soldier, yes
But he's also a goddamn superhero
If Hawkeye and Widow don't need elaborate armored costumes, then Cap definitely doesn't need one

It did work better for him in TFA
But I don't want his armor to continue to evolve into looking like actual military battle gear
The more superhero-y, the better for me
That MarvelNOW suit is wayyyyy too busy (im not shutting up about this), and I don't want him to look like some soldier with a blue painted outfit
The most disgusting thing I ever saw was his outfit in Ultimates a few months back where it was the gear modern military wear, just kinda blue and with an 'A' painted on the helmet.

He's a soldier, yes
But he's also a goddamn superhero
If Hawkeye and Widow don't need elaborate armored costumes, then Cap definitely doesn't need one

Hawkeye and Black Widow aren't soldiers, though.

Myself, I don't prefer armor. The less bulky the costume, the more agile the stuntman or Chris Evans can be. Besides, I like thinking that Steve is at risk when he does the things he do.

I'll also admit that I like Cap's uniform to evoke his military origin. I don't want Cap in star-spangled ACUs, but some touches would be nice.

When does shooting start for this anyway so we can start seeing leaked shots?

I understand the iconography of the comic outfit but some things look great in a static image and don't translate in practice. The fully covered neck connected to helmet with no chinstrap is the reason it looked off. The material on his neck bunches up when he moves his head even a little bit and there's nothing to mask that or help hold it in place. It's completely impractical.
For me it's not about the iconography, I just don't like the way it covered up his chin so much. I'd find it distracting with the modern suit without all that vintage soldier bulkiness going on throughout the rest of the costume. Evans has a nice chin/jaw. I don't think that's the problem. It just needs to be accented. I'd be totally cool with a chin strap like this one:

capcostume.jpg

In fact, I love that. But I think one of the keys to its success is the darker-colored ear pieces. I truly believe the biggest problem with the headpiece before was the ears. If they must cover them up (maybe for logistical reasons), at least change the color of them. The fact that it was all one solid color with those little ear bumps sticking out is what created the goofy effect, imo. And yes, I also believe the eyeholes didn't help. The ones in TFA had more....attitude? Or something. They just looked better, imo.

The thing is that old suit was way too bulky and it can't showcase Cap's athleticism and maneuverability.

If that was directed at me, I was talking about the helmet (specifically the chin-strap/ear-piece) only. I have no desire for the new suit to look like the TFA one.

The helmet with chin strap in the TFA looked perfect in my humble opinion and didn't get much if any criticism from the fanboy community compared to the modern take. The TFA helmet also translates to modern tech, they'd only have to change the leather pieces to something more modern looking if anything.

I don't really fancy the Marvel Now suit. It's too bulky and cluttered.

Hate this outfit.

You guys need to understand this is not about soldiering. This is about symbolism and iconography. Chinstraps look stupid on costumes like this.

But Captain America IS a soldier.

While CA is all about symbolism, he is also a soldier.

His uniform should display both. Not one over the other.

No, Cap's a superhero and the leader of the Avengers
he was a soldier 70 years ago
Personally, I always prefer his suit look superhero-y over soldier-y

and sorry, but once again, i hate the new marvel now suit
gotta keep beatin that drum, apologies...
any suit that puts him in more material than hawkeye is a total fail

Last edited:
Never really been a fan of the scale-mail look. Always preferred the way Bryne, Zeck or Dwyer drew the chain-mail personally.

I'd keep the Avengers suit, but just modify so the white on the sleeves wrap around the entire bicep area as well as adding a star to the back. And I'm leaning towards bringing back the chin strap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"