Superman Returns Vague History - merged

retcon! retcon!
:p

i'm pretty sure "i won't let you down again" is something that the writers chose not to "remember" as it were.
And even if he did say that and leave for 5 years, (especially if something like 9/11 happened after he left) not only would the world resent itself for our dependence on him, but it'd make it all the more difficult for him to find his place when he returns.

that said, i'm pretty sure the first one is the better explanation ;)

Rather see him let the president down, then to never see him come back.

He left because he was tricked into believing that there was still life on Krypton by Lex Luthor. It took him five years to return home.

I would like it more is the people of Earth didn't accept him back right away, but it appears that they do.

"Well, you're back and everyone seems pretty happy about it." - Lois to Superman in SR :supes:

Appearing out of nowhere and saving the plane's passengers makes it hard to hold a grudge. :)

Why Not?? LOL

By the way, a curious inclination of trying to find out your origins are as old as humanity itself. As it be that Superman is Kyrptonian, still has emotions and feelings. Simply put, he left to find out more about his origins and/or if any survivors were left and his curiousity took him on a journey that lasted 5 years to go and come back. Maybe if he had a faster spaceship or something that can bend light or speed or whatever or warp or something maybe he could of done it faster but it fits the story.

The End!!! hahaha lol :)

Pittman4Two said:
Good evening all,

Fresh from watching Superman II, I had a question...

At the end of the film, Supes drops off the top of the White House (complete with Old Glory) and says to the President that "he'll never let (him) down again". The film pretty much ends there save the poetic flight over the horizon.

I've read that SR picks up after Superman II. Why would Superman leave after making such a statement to the Prez?

Thoughts?

STM, S2, S3, and S4 sucked. Forget those, you know the deal. Roll with it. Superman got tricked into leaving. Something he felt was very important. Who cares what was said at the end of S2.

Singer said that YOU (general) could use STM and S2 as kind of a back history to SR but that you didn't have to in order to understand this movie. I suggest that we all don't.

Yeah,for a guy who "never lies", he's whole frikkin life is a lie!

Blame it on a certain genius of the early 20th century.

Spaceflight at the speed of light (186,000 miles per second) - distant planetary system - traveller ages slower than those remaining on Earth.

6 earth years = mere months for traveller.

Action ACE said:
STM, S2, S3, and S4 sucked. Forget those,

[Lex]WRRROOOOONNNG!!![/Lex]

Maybe forget 3 and 4, but forget forgetting STM and S2. :down

superman 2 was not really that good. it was just as campy as 3 (not as bad as 4) and the only good thing about it, beside the fact that it's a superman movie, was terrance stamp.

AndrewGilkison said:
He left because he was tricked into believing that there was still life on Krypton by Lex Luthor. It took him five years to return home.

More specifically, it took Sups 2 1/2 years before reaching planet Krypton only to discover that it was a wasteland and another 2 1/2 on a journey back to Earth.

Sincnarf said:
More specifically, it took Sups 2 1/2 years before reaching planet Krypton only to discover that it was a wasteland and another 2 1/2 on a journey back to Earth.

And amazingly enough, he's actually regressed in age instead of getting older and, complimenting his new found pretty boy looks, Lois has gotten younger as well while he's been gone.

are you guys really mad that routh/bosworth look young? they're only young so that they can be in more movies, and not look too aged. it doesn't mean that lois was 18 when superman left. as for superman II, it was good but inconsistent. they come from the same planet, yet don't have the same powers???

Aetherus said:
I can understan S3 and S4, but the first two?!? :confused:

Like I've stated before, I love and respect Reeve very much. A good Superman in all respects.

But c'mon, spinning the earth around to turn back time?
Amnesia kiss?

What were they thinking?

I have a few more quams with both that I won't bore you guys with, but these two are the biggest :confused: moments for me.

Didn't he already go back to Krypton with his father in STM?
Maybe that was to Krypton "as it was"?

The end of Superman II does raise questions as to why Superman swore never to leave Eart again, only in SR he does leave for a long time. From Singer, he says it's vague history, but to be honest we don't know what it could be. A sequel? I don't know. All i do know is he left to see if there were remains from Krypton, and if he really was the only left. While he's away Martha is sending post cards to the DP saying Clark is doing some soul searching. Lex is in prison,only to get out, Lois moves on and we know the rest. I'm really looking foward to how it'll all be explained.

Dr. Fate said:
And amazingly enough, he's actually regressed in age instead of getting older and, complimenting his new found pretty boy looks, Lois has gotten younger as well while he's been gone.
Should I save you a seat on opening night?

Okay so it is being said that Superman Returns takes place after Superman 2. In Superman 2 Lois finds out that Clark is superman, however, in all of the clips that i have seen of Superman Returns it seems like Lois in this film doesn't not know that clark is superman. it seems odd tho that both clark and superman have been gone for 5 years and no one makes a connection. Maybe one of you out their can ease me confusion with an explaination....thank

Superfan87 :supes:

Nobody here has seen the film yet so nobody is qualified to answer!

1) clark gave lois a kiss at the end of part 2 that whiped out her memory of almost everything that happened in part 2. she was all down cuz she can't be with Superman but Clark gave her a kiss and she fainted. when she woke up she was acting like everything was fine...she didn't even remember the rumble between Superman and General Zod.

2) Singer doesn't consider part 2 part of the 'vague history' of Superman Returns

3) you don't have to consider ANY of the movies a 'vague history' of Superman Returns. it's all subjective. ;)

couldn't answer your question about Clark and Supes being gone for 5 years, though i'm sure Martha Kent covered for clark.

In your time here on the Superman Returns board you will have to get used to the term " Vague History ".

Imagine it being like a relationship with a girl, or guy for that matter, that ended horribly because she didn't like you, yet you still have feelings. So to avoid desperation, depression, and/or suicide, you pick and choose the memories you want as a way to cope, therefor creating the feelings of a Disney relationship and forgetting the heartbreaking knowledge that you don't really matter to said girl.

Superfan87 said:
Okay so it is being said that Superman Returns takes place after Superman 2. In Superman 2 Lois finds out that Clark is superman, however, in all of the clips that i have seen of Superman Returns it seems like Lois in this film doesn't not know that clark is superman. it seems odd tho that both clark and superman have been gone for 5 years and no one makes a connection. Maybe one of you out their can ease me confusion with an explaination....thank

Superfan87 :supes:

umm at the end of superman 2 superman erases lois's memory (more specificaly her memory that clark is superman)

If Krypton exploded in Superman 1 then how come the trailer had Superman going back to an apocalyptic planet? Plot hole? or does Bryan Singer didn't know anything about it? Then maybe we should also ignore the fact that Lois Lane has a son. Great job Singer.

supconcept.jpg

Someone please set me straight about the facts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"