Veronica Mars

LOVED the pilot episode, wow, can't wait to watch more. Definitely the best season opener since the first season.

That finale... it was necessary but it was evil. I also think it maybe could have worked a different, less permanent way but either way it was not going to end well. Still, having read Thomas' explanation for why, I can accept how they ended the season and plans for the next season. Which I do hope they get because there is plenty of Veronica Mars left to go. This series just keeps coming back and it needs a good run this time around too.

The one thing I really did get annoyed with is how every single episode had a "previously..." when it is a season meant to be binged back-to-back. And he acknowledged that in the interview but still, come on, that is just stupid.

Last edited:
Netflix has a skip intro thing. Hulu should adopt that because I like the previously on when I've walked away for a while but it does become annoying in the middle of a binge.

I get why they would leave Neptune. It gets to be a little more like Murder She Wrote or freak of the week type stuff if they don't, but I'm gonna miss a few of the characters. Weevil in particular. Man was she a bench to him, and yet he still came thru for her.

What a weird season.

If you take it scene by scene, the writing and characters still shine. But when you look at it big picture, man, the plot is a mess. So much is misdirection that doesn't really pay off because there isn't enough narrative or thematic follow-through on so many of the plot threads.

By the end of it I also felt like the heart of the show has grown a bit too cold and embittered. I get that that is part of the point, with Veronica becoming older and her foibles becoming more detrimental to her relationships and life, but yeah. I don't know. Kind of a tough season to watch, even though it was frequently entertaining and interesting.

Anyways, even with its merits I don't think I will watch this season again. And I say this as someone who has watched all the other seasons like 3 times. I don't think this is worse than Season 3, per se, but there is an unpleasantness to it that I don't particularly want to come back to when it coincides with a story that tries to condense the serial and episodic aspects of Veronica Mars too much into one thing that just doesn't work as a good overall story.

If you take it scene by scene, the writing and characters still shine. But when you look at it big picture, man, the plot is a mess. So much is misdirection that doesn't really pay off because there isn't enough narrative or thematic follow-through on so many of the plot threads.

I can appreciate that season 4’s darker, more adult tone might not be to all tastes. And fact is, there’s bound to be a certain dissonance between the original “spunky girl detective” and the same character as a woman in her 30s. But I thought the central mystery arc was well crafted and on par with seasons 1-3 (if not better). Certainly, it was much better than the VM movie.

I can appreciate that season 4’s darker, more adult tone might not be to all tastes. And fact is, there’s bound to be a certain dissonance between the original “spunky girl detective” and the same character as a woman in her 30s. But I thought the central mystery arc was well crafted and on par with seasons 1-3 (if not better). Certainly, it was much better than the VM movie.
I think it's more all the adjunct sub-plots felt poorly handled or needed better follow through. I think the central mystery, taken by itself, is decent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"