• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Warner Bros. Creates DC Entertainment

^Yea, for those pleading for a DC Comics studio this is just about it. There was no centralization before with all the scattered film projects based on DC characters at WB. There was no strategy, producers were letting films(WW) collect dust. Now, all these projects will fall under the supervision of Diane Nelson, head of DCE.

Last edited:
^Wasn't that the point of DCEntertainment?
DC Entertainment goes beyond just movies. The point of DC Entertainment is to maximize DC's brands. It's the company in charge of DC Comics (which will have to find a new publisher to replace Paul Levitz), the licensing of DC's characters to clothing, toy, and other companies, etc., and to fully maximise the DC brand across all media (television, video games, film) and platforms (the Internet, merchandising, advertising).

To sum it all up, it's exactly like how Marvel Entertainment is.

only they are now playing catch-up and they are run by someone who is essentially a high end brand and franchise manager and does not understand how the DC universe works....so this will not end well....

When does it ever end well for DC? They've constantly been a day late and a dollar short since they decided One Year Later was the direction to take the company when they finally got the market share.

It's not like this lady will be involved in creative at all. Hopefully all this is, is DC's way of copying the Avengers strategy.

Think about how much Harry Potter crap there is out there. There could, potentially be just as much focus on DCU now that there is on HP.

only they are now playing catch-up and they are run by someone who is essentially a high end brand and franchise manager and does not understand how the DC universe works....so this will not end well....

Paul Levitz will be a consultant to DCE. Diane will be responsible for ensuring that that the DC Comics brand is maximized to its fullest potential. She won't be writing comics or the films based on the comics. She will not become the new publisher of DC Comics, that position will be filled. And you know as well, that Wolfman, Johns and Morrison are consulting and writing as well on the film projects. I see this as very promising.

And yea, they are playing catch-up, but would you prefer they never got in the game? I for am glad they are finally getting off their ass.

Last edited:
I just hope Didio isn't given more power.

It's not like this lady will be involved in creative at all. Hopefully all this is, is DC's way of copying the Avengers strategy.

Think about how much Harry Potter crap there is out there. There could, potentially be just as much focus on DCU now that there is on HP.
Yeah, when I saw that she's managing the Harry Potter brand, I felt encouraged. If DC could get the kind of promotion Harry Potter does, something other than a Batman movie might actually succeed. The HP films are pretty faithful to the books too, right? Maybe Nelson will bring that kind of common sense faithful approach to the comics' movie adaptations. She could organize comic talent to offer their advice and talents to movie producers so we don't get anymore cockamamie ideas like, "The Dark Knight made money and we want to do a Superman movie that'll make money, so we're gonna make Superman dark!"

DC has also released this statement from Executive Editor Dan Didio, officially announcing Paul Levitz as the new ongoing writer for Adventure Comics, featuring the Legion of Super-Heroes:

"You may have heard that Paul Levitz will be once again adding his considerable talent, drive and creativity to our ever expanding universe as a regular DC Comics writer.

So, what’s his first writing assignment?

Paul is returning to the title he made great as both a writer and editor, ADVENTURE COMICS, and with his eyes set to the future, he brings several of his favorite characters with him. ADVENTURE is the first in a number of projects, both ongoing and mini-series that Paul will be taking on as he joins of our list of top notch creators here at DC.

As Executive Editor, and as a fan, I can’t wait for him to get started.
-Dan DiDio"
Wednesday Afternoon, DC Entertainment Released this statement from Writer/Contributing Editor Paul Levitz:

"Dear Friends,

Thank you for your efforts, your support, and your contributions to DC Comics over the long years that I’ve had the honor of serving as part of DC’s leadership team. Together, our staff, creative contributors, readers, retailers and business partners have helped bring us to the beginning of what looks to be a new golden age for comics in the United States, and one that will bring more respect for the talent and the medium.

It will come as no surprise to anyone who’s heard me answer a comic convention request, “When are you going to do more Legion stories?” that I’m going to step away from my executive desk in coming months to resume my writing career, in comics and hopefully other forms as well. One of the lessons I learned from my many great teachers, from Frank McCourt through Joe Orlando and Jenette Kahn, is that creative work is more enduring than executive acts, and I look forward to adding to the stories I’ve told. Expect to see my byline at DC, as it has appeared for almost 37 years, adding what I can to a mythology and company that has my enduring affection, and expect to see me around the world of comics, which I hope never to leave. I already hear Karen and Dan sharpening their blue pencils with glee, waiting for my first pages.

DC will remain in the hands of the people who have had ultimate responsibility for its success throughout the past two decades, the management team of Warner Bros., headed by Barry Meyer and Alan Horn. They have encouraged our growth as a creative enterprise, and I have confidence that the people they will select to join the DC team, beginning with Diane Nelson, will do their best to make DC a success. While that transition process is taking place, I’ll continue to run DC until the baton can be carefully passed, and afterwards will have a role in which I can provide my advice and help.

On a personal note, I deeply appreciate the warmth and friendship I have found in these halls since my first visit, as a 13 year old comics fan. The relationships I have made here, including one that began in a DC circulation meeting and developed into the first DC marriage in four decades (thereby rebooting a grand tradition?), have been and will remain central to my life.
And now, if you forgive me, the future is calling."
DC Also released the following statement from new DC Entertainment President, Diane Nelson:

"Dear DC Colleagues and Friends,

As hopefully each of you now know, this morning Warner Bros. announced the formation of DC Entertainment, and I’ve been entrusted with the honor of heading up this exciting new venture, reporting to Jeff Robinov, President, Warner Bros. Pictures Group.

DC Entertainment’s mission is to deeply integrate the DC brand and characters into all of Warner Bros.’ creative production and distribution businesses, while maintaining the integrity of the properties and DC’s longstanding commitment to and respect for writers, creators and artists. The founding of DC Entertainment is about Warner Bros. taking DC to the next level and giving DC an even greater degree of focus and prioritization in all the businesses in which we operate—films, television, home entertainment, digital, consumer products and videogames.

You are all an integral part of the success DC has achieved to date and your expertise and support will be essential moving forward – as we raise this brand and collection of characters to even greater heights. Together we can make the next 75 years even more successful and productive than DC’s illustrious 75-year history.

Jeff and I will be in the DC offices next week and will say hello personally at that time. Until then, thank you in advance for your support and continued contributions to DC Comics and the new DC Entertainment.

Best regards,
Diane"
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/090909-levitz-statement.html

Right now, this whole thing is hanging in the balance. It all really depends on who is named new Publisher.

Yeah, when I saw that she's managing the Harry Potter brand, I felt encouraged. If DC could get the kind of promotion Harry Potter does, something other than a Batman movie might actually succeed. The HP films are pretty faithful to the books too, right? Maybe Nelson will bring that kind of common sense faithful approach to the comics' movie adaptations. She could organize comic talent to offer their advice and talents to movie producers so we don't get anymore cockamamie ideas like, "The Dark Knight made money and we want to do a Superman movie that'll make money, so we're gonna make Superman dark!"

That is already being done. Johns, Morrison and Wolfman are all actively working on film projects for WB involving DC characters.

That's good. It amazes me that it took WB this long to figure out it might be a good strategy, but at least it's being done.

That's good. It amazes me that it took WB this long to figure out it might be a good strategy, but at least it's being done.

True, but again this is something that should have been done years ago.

Well im glad this is happening I just hope that with her experience in primarily the fantasy realm she see's that her approach on that type of material is exactly what could be used with this material.

So...someone smarter than me break this down plz. 'Cause from what I gather, this seems to be nothing but a good move? We get more films and games and other projects that have more help from more comics writers like Shazam, Green Lantern, Batman: AA, and the upcoming DCU Online. And the woman ran Warner Premiere, which had to do with the animated movies we've been getting.

What's the downside here, 'cause I'm sensing there has to be a downside.

So...someone smarter than me break this down plz. 'Cause from what I gather, this seems to be nothing but a good move? We get more films and games and other projects that have more help from more comics writers like Shazam, Green Lantern, Batman: AA, and the upcoming DCU Online. And the woman ran Warner Premiere, which had to do with the animated movies we've been getting.

What's the downside here, 'cause I'm sensing there has to be a downside.

Nothing really. I don't care really because it does nothing for the comics side of the thing.

I don't see one. DC Entertainment now runs DC Comics along with all the other stuff associated with licensing and promoting DC properties, so it's conceivable she could meddle with the comics. But even that doesn't seem so bad given how DC's comics are going under the people who've been running them. She's got about an even chance of f***ing things up worse or improving them dramatically if she chooses to micro-manage the comics division.

I like reading fanboy reactions on the net about this. "Look out Disney/Marvel!" Look out for what? :huh: The fact that this is even necessary to get movies going is ridiculous. Like I said, it's a fine move, does nothing for the comics, but at least this is supposed to get some movie projects going, in theory.

I like reading fanboy reactions on the net about this. "Look out Disney/Marvel!" Look out for what? :huh: The fact that this is even necessary to get movies going is ridiculous. Like I said, it's a fine move, does nothing for the comics, but at least this is supposed to get some movie projects going, in theory.
*ding ding ding*

Yes, I'm cynical.

I really don't think anything bad can come at this. At very worse, WB will keep doing what WB's been doing for years - ignore nearly all DC film projects and let Dan Didio and DC Comics do whatever they want.

Plus I do think it will be good to unfy the DC Brand under one banner. Have that one person be the catylist for all things DC.

And if more film projects come out of this, great.

I've just heard enough 'We've got a fine tuned direction on what to do with these properties ...for real this time.' statements from WB to just not really care anymore. Everything seems to remain on par with the previous status quo and development. I'd love for this to be different, but I'll wait for the good to take shape before I do the Myposian Dance of Joy*.

*At least in relation to this news. I like a good Dance of Joy every couple of days for no specific reason.

I really don't think anything bad can come at this. At very worse, WB will keep doing what WB's been doing for years - ignore nearly all DC film projects and let Dan Didio and DC Comics do whatever they want.

Plus I do think it will be good to unfy the DC Brand under one banner. Have that one person be the catylist for all things DC.

It's certainly not a bad move. And hey, if nothing else, Joel Silver got moved off Wonder Woman. I mean that's a win in itself. :ww:

True. I mean, there's real no negative about this.

It's certainly not a bad move. And hey, if nothing else, Joel Silver got moved off Wonder Woman. I mean that's a win in itself. :ww:

And Akiva is off Teen Titans :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"