Warriors Three Cast

I back corp on this 100% it was never nailed down EXACTLY where Hogun was from but if you look at the last Tales of Asgard book it kind of hints at the area Hugun's from.

He should have been Persian.

:thor: :thor: :thor:

Townshend is a very capable Fandrall. Hes definitely a plus

I know nothing of Asano except the good word of mouth about Mongul, so I say thumbs up to him thus far.

Stevenson is good, but for Volstagg? The end product will be fine I just think its weird he wasnt Heimdall or someone less rotund

Why is Hogun an asian dude? I dont remember any asians in Asgard, they are norse viking gods. This is even dumber than FF and Daredevil making alicia masters and kingpin african-american for no reason. Seriously, a norse viking asian? Do we really need to make every marvel movie diverse enough to pacify any potential PC police?

Last edited:
Hogun isnt a native asgardian. Hes from an unnamed homeland which seems to have more in common with Middle Eastern/Mongul cultures

I think it's prolly more Eastern European. Stan Lee wanted him to be Charles Bronson. Bronson was of Lithuanian descent. So maybe they should have cast a Polish/Lithuanian.

I always thought of him as Arabic when I was a kid.

:thor: :thor: :thor:

Yea. Im sure your right about Lee but how much change has their been to the character since?

Hogun isnt a native asgardian. Hes from an unnamed homeland which seems to have more in common with Middle Eastern/Mongul cultures

As far as I know, he is a native of the asgardian dimension, just not the city of asgard where Thor/Balder/Odin/etc. are from. His homeland wasn't middle eastern or asian/mongul, it was just conquered by another asgardian named Mogul, who had no asian ties from any indication i've seen.

I've never seen him as anything but caucasian and his appearance seems to be as such. I just have a problem with changing comics characters ethnicity randomly, it takes from the authenticity a little bit. Clearly there's nothing to be done about it and i'll enjoy the film all the same, I just think its inane and unneeded.

Well in all fairness, Norse mythology was made up by a nomadic people. To think that outsiders worked their way into their myths is not really a stretch.

Hogun has always been depicted as the outsider who stayed. He's been drawn ethnically different from the fair haired Asgardians from the beginning. His dress has always had a Persian flavor to them.

I don't know if asian would have been the ethnicity I'd have gone with, but it's not like political correctness gone wrong.

It's just a choice.

:thing: :doom: :thing:

As far as I know, he is a native of the asgardian dimension, just not the city of asgard where Thor/Balder/Odin/etc. are from. His homeland wasn't middle eastern or asian/mongul, it was just conquered by another asgardian named Mogul, who had no asian ties from any indication i've seen.

I've never seen him as anything but caucasian and his appearance seems to be as such. I just have a problem with changing comics characters ethnicity randomly, it takes from the authenticity a little bit. Clearly there's nothing to be done about it and i'll enjoy the film all the same, I just think its inane and unneeded.
Yea uhh no offense but Corp is a Human Thor Encyclopedia and he says Different :o

Corp FTW

Hogun was based on the Hunns or Monguls both of which are Asian based.

Yeah, I always thought Hogun was Asian. I don't see how this is taking people aback. You can't draw him anymore Asian-looking than he is without being some awful Charlie Chan stereotype.

I imagine he'll be the next casting we hear about

Funny story, my bjj coach and I are friends with the stunt coordinator on the Red Dawn remake (he was doing bjj with us when he was here filming Paul) and my coach flew out to Detroit for a few weeks to do stunt work on Red Dawn and couple days before he got back I talked to his mom who told me that the last time she talked to him she got out of it that he could possibly end up being Thor's stunt double. Naturally I had a nerdgasm at the thought of one of my best friends being Thor's stunt double but after he got back and I finally got to talk to him about this morning he said, not Thor but maybe Thor's best friend, who is apparently a pretty big guy too. I asked, "Balder?" but he said he didn't know what his name was. I'm gonna assume, it's Balder, right?

Didn't know that Townsend was still alive. Last time I saw him (and then immediatly forgot about him) was in LXG.

Townsends been busy hanging out with his hot girlfriend charlize Theron which I can't blame him for :cwink:

Funny Triva For You Guys-

Stuart townsend was cast as Aragorn in The Lord Of The Rings but was replaced by Viggo Mortensen.

Yea well, sorry to say it, but you are wrong.

He isn't Caucasian, and never has been.

Why is Hogun an asian dude? I dont remember any asians in Asgard, they are norse viking gods. This is even dumber than FF and Daredevil making alicia masters and kingpin african-american for no reason. Seriously, a norse viking asian? Do we really need to make every marvel movie diverse enough to pacify any potential PC police?

Uhhh..... what are you talking about?

Hogun, from day one, has taken OBVIOUS visual cues from Ghengis Khan, just as much as Fandral took his from an Errol Flynn swashbuckler. There's a reason just about everyone on these casting threads has been suggesting Asian actors for the role.

2wq5utt.jpg

Are you trying to suggest that there's nothing in this character's appearance to suggest he could be anything but Caucasian?

hmmm.... I stand corrected then. Just never pictured a mongo with a large Mace. Kewl
Well he could have picked that up AFTER he joined the Asgardians.
It's assumed that Hogun's people were killed by Mogul, and it's not yet known how Hogun came to Asgard and befriended by Them.
With all the writing talents now on Thor it'd be great to have backgrounds on all the Warriors Three.

Yea uhh no offense but Corp is a Human Thor Encyclopedia and he says Different :o

Corp FTW
Well between corp and I we have a vast knowledge of Thor and Asgardians, tho HE still has all his Thor comics mine were lost in a flood I have very few of vol 2 and all of 3:cmad:

Yeah, I always thought Hogun was Asian. I don't see how this is taking people aback. You can't draw him anymore Asian-looking than he is without being some awful Charlie Chan stereotype.

Thing is, that particular mustache isn't just in one country. Russians even had that type of Mustache. At one time I thought Hogun might have been from a Russain/Viking clan it's entirely possible, BUT, that story in Tales of Asgard kind of points another way.

What about Nepal or Tibet? Borderline Asian/Scandinavian/Russian. Well, Tibet is.

Well, Duncan was cast as the Kingpin in DD, but he didn't wear a fat suit; he was just tall and muscular, same with Stevenson. I think Branagh will redesign Volstagg, not as a big fat guy, but a tall & strong warrior. I think this is one area I'd welcome a departure from the comics.

Yes, but I said Fox should have went with the fat-suit for Kingpin.

There's many races in Asgard. Unlike most Asgardian gods and his friends, Hogun is not Aesir.

The place he's from is supposedly in Skornheim somewhere. It never got a name of its own, as far as I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"