What is the best Batman stoires by O'Neil by from the '70s?

Binker

Superhero
Reaction score
What are the most memorable Batman stories from the '70s, basically 1969-1979, and what are the best Denny O'Neil Batman comics from that decade too?

Here's what I know already (not in order, I know):

Batman #217 - One Bullet Too Many

Detective Comics #457 - There is No Hope in Crime Alley

Detective Comics #483 - The Curse of Crime Alley (I listed this because I heard it was a great one but I'm not sure. Anyone on this?)

Detective Comics #395 - The Secret of the Waiting Graves (listed because I've seen that cover alot)

Detective Comics #400 - Challenge of the Man-Bat

Batman #251 - The Joker's Five-way Revenge

Detective Comics #475 & #476 - The Laughing Fish

Detective Comics #469-479 The Steve Englehart/Marshall Rogers run that is famous today. Also known as Dark Detective I thanks to its sequel.

Batman: Dark Detective (says to be the sequel to the #469-479 run)

Thats what I know (and what I have to save to remember, LOL). What else, and what that issue and story is, is there that should be on the list?

And where can I get these? I know theres Batman in the Seventies that has some of these and others that aren't on this list and there is also those Batman: Illustrated by Neal Adams Volumes (which for 35-50 bucks a piece must be good but it'll be a pain just to get those). On those Neal Adams Volumes, are those the actual, full issues?

But anyway what are the most memorable Batman stories both from the '70s and by Denny O'Neil?

Joker's Five Way Revenge is the quinessential Batman story of all time.

shark.jpg

I like how in the animated series they combined the Joker Fish storyline with that scene from Five Way Revenge

Or is there anything else to add or is that it? And where can I get them?

www.mycomicshop.com or www.milehighcomics.com are pretty much the best places for back issues. I really don't think many of the 70s issues are collected in TPB besides Tales of the Demon and Strange Apparitions. I guess there's the Neal Adams HCs, but they're rather pricey.

Here's a few more:

Batman #232,242,243,244-The Ras Al Ghul Saga by O'Neil/Adams/Novick

Batman Spectacular #10- Hang The Batman by Reed/Nasser
I now Pronounce you Batman and Wife by O'Neil/Golden
Death Strikes At Midnight And Three by O'Neil/Rogers

Batman #286The Joker's Playground Of Peril by O'Neil/Novick

Kevin Roegele said:

shark.jpg
100% agreed! Batman and the Joker at their finest!

Kevin Roegele said:

shark.jpg
Yes, I also love this little dark story. :up:

I already have Tales of the Demon, thats why (well thats one of the reasons) I did this thread. There are other reasons.

Anything else or is that it?

Question: besides the issues already listed, from Issues 201-300 of the BATMAN title series, what issues are good to get?

While the art in the "The Joker's Five Way Revenge" its GORGEOUS, the writing is VERY dated. Batman looks very girm and menacing, but thinks and behaves like Adam West. In one part of the comic one of the Joker's goons (who the Joker is trying to kills) asks Batman if he can stand behind Batman, to which Batman responds "why yes, this would be "Another reasonable request!". The goon proptly clogs Batman on the head. I won't give too much about the story away, nor will I say that modern Batman comics with such great dialouge as "I'm the goddamned Batman" are more mature or sophisticated, but "The Five Part Revenge of the Joker" is very dated. This is not Batman at his finest. I have the Laughing Fish, but have not read all of it yet. IMHO, The Batman Animated Series episode with the same title was much better than both Five Way Revenge what I have seen of Laughing Fish. I think thats Batman at his best.

I understand. It was back then and thats how it was like at the time. So, is that it on the best '70s Batman comics?

Question: there is only one issue I'm also looking for. I don't know what's it about nor what number it is, but it has a scene where Robin says to Batgirl "Why don't you hang up that costume and do whatever it is you do when you're not wearing it?" and Batgirl via thought balloon "Oh, brother! That's the Batman's routine...". What issue is that?

Anyway, thank you for all your help. I found a site that helped me alot. I think it would help you guys out on looking for back issues. Here is the site:

http://darkmark6.tripod.com/batmanind3.html

LennonMcCartney said:
While the art in the "The Joker's Five Way Revenge" its GORGEOUS, the writing is VERY dated. Batman looks very girm and menacing, but thinks and behaves like Adam West. In one part of the comic one of the Joker's goons (who the Joker is trying to kills) asks Batman if he can stand behind Batman, to which Batman responds "why yes, this would be "Another reasonable request!". The goon proptly clogs Batman on the head. I won't give too much about the story away, nor will I say that modern Batman comics with such great dialouge as "I'm the goddamned Batman" are more mature or sophisticated, but "The Five Part Revenge of the Joker" is very dated. This is not Batman at his finest. I have the Laughing Fish, but have not read all of it yet. IMHO, The Batman Animated Series episode with the same title was much better than both Five Way Revenge what I have seen of Laughing Fish. I think thats Batman at his best.
I hear what you're saying and respect that but you also have to remember that Batman and his world were just beginning to return to it's noir roots at that time.At that time, that dialoge was more appropriate for comic books. This was before the graphic novel crazy that really began in the 80's.
As for the animated version, it seems updated because it was updated.I'm not trying to change your opinion,only help you to understand some of ours.

Once you adjust the 70s dialogue, it really becomes, like, the most fantastic thing ever. Batman, X-Men, Spider-Man comics from the 70s are some of my favorite comics ever.

Yeah, its like reading older stories from the '30s. Its what it was back then.

Not that I'm comparing it in quality, but the different eras in comics are different in the way something like Shakespeare is different in writing from today. Sure, no one talks like that anymore (and possibly not ever:o), sure it's really ****ed up when you first start reading it, but once you get used to the difference, it's, y'know, Shakespeare.

Yeah, I agree with everything said about the dialogue. I just have to read more 70s comics...

Kevin Roegele said:

shark.jpg
And the best one shot of all time. I love that last frame.

Kevin Roegele said:

shark.jpg

My only complaint about "five-way"(which seems like blasphemy) is that Batman seems to get "cowed" into taking the dive, like he surrendered too easily to The Joker. I never like it when Batman just gives himself up like that.

It also happened in the Joker's Birthday issue, so it must have been a popular plot device.

Question: this is a very stupid question as I know the answer but could someone tell me what issues from the '70s were recreated for Batman: The Animated Series? And if an episode happened to include two stories (issues), could you tell me what those were?

Binker said:
Question: this is a very stupid question as I know the answer but could someone tell me what issues from the '70s were recreated for Batman: The Animated Series? And if an episode happened to include two stories (issues), could you tell me what those were?

Well the Joker's five way revenge and the Laughing fish were combined into the Laughing fish episode.

The Hugo Strange saga [Which spanned several issues] where he learned Batman's identity and auctioned it to the villains was in 'The strange secret of Bruce Wayne' episode.

Ra's Al Ghul's intro in the comics was a two parter I believe, which was adapted into a two episodes called 'The Demon's Quest'. It followed the comic story quite closely. Especially in part 1.

I'm sure there's more, but those more infamous ones spring to mind right now.

Doc Ock's right. Denny O'Neil even wrote the Demon's Quest for the Animated Series.

Doc Ock said:
Well the Joker's five way revenge and the Laughing fish were combined into the Laughing fish episode.

The Hugo Strange saga [Which spanned several issues] where he learned Batman's identity and auctioned it to the villains was in 'The strange secret of Bruce Wayne' episode.

Ra's Al Ghul's intro in the comics was a two parter I believe, which was adapted into a two episodes called 'The Demon's Quest'. It followed the comic story quite closely. Especially in part 1.

I'm sure there's more, but those more infamous ones spring to mind right now.

Was "Appointment in Crime Alley" a comic? I wouldn't be surprised, since there were a lot of stories about it at the time...

MaskedManJRK said:
Was "Appointment in Crime Alley" a comic? I wouldn't be surprised, since there were a lot of stories about it at the time...

You know, I wouldn't be surprised. The tone and tenor of that episode felt like pure O'Neil (especially the end.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sumilumi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"