What is with music these days?

oakzap425 said:
I miss my Jolie-chan...

She brought my warm chocolate cookies and cold soy milk to bed... :(
I just miss her naughty parts. :(

Indiglo said:
NO... I said "What's Naruto?" in response to you saying "Fake Naruto Fan." in response to me saying "I don't see the connection" responding to you saying "How can you like Gaara withouth liking Classic Rock?".

<out of breath>

No, you said you didn't understand the connection, in which I responded that you were a fake naruto fan. The assumption was that you didn't know what a Sabaku Sou Sou was, there for I called you a fake Naruto fan.

Oh, no, I didn't see the connection between classic rock and Gaara. Misunderstanding, we didn't understand.

You make my eyes muscles hurt, I'm going swimming.

oakzap425 said:
Dirty little man... :mad:

Mee, too
:( :o
Everyone likes Jolie's naughty parts, regardless of gender or even species.

KingOfDreams said:
I guess I can understand that, even if I don't agree with it. I just find the vast majority of mainstream modern rock artists aren't talented and what's sad is that seems to be okay. Classic rock musicians could school them in a musicianship contest.
So? The songs are what's important, not the e#dm5 [sic] they put in there

i think in any time period you had to shift through the rubbish to find the good stuff. there's plenty of talent around today. look at matt bellamy for example. sings, writes, plays guitar and keyboard, gets in the charts.

Anyone who said anything along the lines of "Popular rock sucks" or "rap is a joke" is an idiot. On a good day.

The problem is not "music today". There's probably more good music around than ever before, a glut in fact.

The problem is the stupidity of the masses.
In the late 60's, 70's and early 80's, the difference was that the collective "taste" was better, so the good music was pursued, heard and financially rewarded by more people.
The good music was mainstream, because most everyone loved it.

Now the majority of people have terrible taste in music, so the crap is rewarded and agressively pushed media-wise and will always drown out the sound of someone quirky, cool, ground-breaking, or just plain good little band.

I want to chalk it up to everyone being more shallow and materialistic these days, but we were always like that.

oakzap425 said:
I'm not an Otaku.

Well then what are you? Isn't an otaku just an anime nerd? I know the word means "nerd" or "geek" or whatever but in America I understand it to mean an anime fanatic.

Flame on! said:
So? The songs are what's important, not the e#dm5 [sic] they put in there

I agree. Songs are what's important. And the lack of talent extends to songwriting. A good chunk of mainstream modern rock has such boring rhythms and melodies.

Jourmugand said:
Music today has no invidiuality,it all sounds the same.Its trash.

I'll say it again, not all music today is like that. You just have to look harder. And really, throughout the history of popular music there have been trends that bands follow. During the '60s there were countless bands that iminated The Beatles more or less. The problem with a lot of today's music is that the trends are worse.

Jourmugand said:
Music today has no invidiuality,it all sounds the same.Its trash.
So The Black Keys, Morning Wood, She Wants Revenge, Bjork, Raging Slab, the Eagles of Death Metal, N.E.R.D., The Flaming Lips, P.J. Harvey, Neil Young, David Bowie and Mastodon all sound the same and have no individuality?
Yeah, NO.

Don't listen to Top 40 radio. Ever.

That way you can hear some excellent music

pop music today is geared so girls 12 and up can get their panties wet. Just look at the constant flux of cookie cutter boy bands that grace the top 40. All style, all flash, no substance other than to make girls swoon.

Another problem is that artists can't seem to string a series of good quality disc's to build any kind of legacy with and become one or two hit wonders. Really nobody from the 90's today other than Pearl Jam and Offspring have had more than a couple of quality albums. Take away Garage Days and S&M and Metallica hasn't had a solid disc since the Black Album. (though i like Load and seem to be one of the few that do.) Kids today have no Led Zep or Aerosmith type bands that will still be playing 20 years from now. Kids today seem to all suffer from ADD and is why most songs can't last more than 3 and a half minutes, thus making bands like Linkin Park really popular. Led Zeppelin had over a dozen songs go past 5 minutes. Metallica over 30. There are no ballads anymore.

I have a wide range of musical taste, from classical to hard rock to country to reggaeton to rap. So i will always find something i like to hear. Last Saturday i went and seen NonPoint and they f***ing rocked. So did the 3 bands that went on before them, Egypt Central, Revalation Theory and Burn Season. So far i have bought tickets to see Skindred, Pat Benatar, and Ringo Starr. I am either going to the Warp Tour or to Ozzfest and my big debate coming soon will to either see Bon Jovi or Def Leppard/Foreigner who are playing on the same night different venue's. Good music can be found, if you truly want to find it.

danielisthor said:
pop music today is geared so girls 12 and up can get their panties wet. Just look at the constant flux of cookie cutter boy bands that grace the top 40. All style, all flash, no substance other than to make girls swoon.
Nonsense. Their are plenty of female artists in the charts. Unless these girls are lesbians too..
Another problem is that artists can't seem to string a series of good quality disc's to build any kind of legacy with and become one or two hit wonders.
Radiohead, Green Day, Ben Folds Five, Nick Cave, Andrew Bird, PJ Harvey, Pavement, Sonic Youth etc...
Really nobody from the 90's today other than Pearl Jam and Offspring have had more than a couple of quality albums.
LOL@Pearl Jam
Take away Garage Days and S&M and Metallica hasn't had a solid disc since the Black Album. (though i like Load and seem to be one of the few that do.) Kids today have no Led Zep or Aerosmith type bands that will still be playing 20 years from now.
Again, Radiohead, Sonic Youth et al.
Kids today seem to all suffer from ADD and is why most songs can't last more than 3 and a half minutes, thus making bands like Linkin Park really popular.
I concur, although...
Led Zeppelin had over a dozen songs go past 5 minutes. Metallica over 30.
And a dozen of those songs are ****.
There are no ballads anymore.
Of course there, your just too lazy or stuck in your thrusting MANROCK! ways to give them a chance. A ballad is not restricted to a long haired ponce overplaying on a Gibson.
I have a wide range of musical taste, from classical to hard rock to country to reggaeton to rap. So i will always find something i like to hear. Last Saturday i went and seen NonPoint and they f***ing rocked. So did the 3 bands that went on before them, Egypt Central, Revalation Theory and Burn Season. So far i have bought tickets to see Skindred, Pat Benatar, and Ringo Starr. I am either going to the Warp Tour or to Ozzfest and my big debate coming soon will to either see Bon Jovi or Def Leppard/Foreigner who are playing on the same night different venue's. Good music can be found, if you truly want to find it.
Except you just said that there aren't any ballads anymore, so obviously you truly don't want to find them...

Tool is another band from the 90's that has released consistently solid albums. When you have a 3-5 year span between releases, it's to be expected

I enjoy long songs immensly. When I pop in Sleep's album "Dopesmoker", I have to change my pants when my CD player says "2 tracks- 73:07"

I myself hate the current crop of music coming out, I'll usually put on some classic 80's since that's what I grew up on.

Basically it's all that crazy rap music that's killing the biz.

I had a tough time deciding which of your double post to respond to. So i picked Number 1.

Flame on! said:
Nonsense. Their are plenty of female artists in the charts. Unless these girls are lesbians too..

No not all will become lesbians but i am sure some will. But back to point, Most of these female artists are also pandering to the same demographic. You don't think Spears, Aquilera, Duff, Pink, the Simpson sisters aren't pandering to teenage girls.

Flame on! said:
Radiohead, Green Day, Ben Folds Five, Nick Cave, Andrew Bird, PJ Harvey, Pavement, Sonic Youth etc...

Tonic, Candlebox, Better than Ezra, Bush, Collective Soul, Creed, Days of the New, Filter, Fuel, etc. etc. etc. And i will discount any band who had a drug induced death to their lead singer ala Alice in Chains

Flame on! said:
LOL@Pearl Jam

Difference of Opinion

Flame on! said:
Again, Radiohead, Sonic Youth et al.

But are kids listening to Radiohead, Sonic Youth etc. etc.

Flame on! said:
...a dozen of those songs are ****.

Which dozen do you hate so much. At least they have enough talent to go beyond 5minutes in a song.

Flame on! said:
Of course there are, your just too lazy or stuck in your thrusting MANROCK! ways to give them a chance.

I will remember that Thrusting MANROCK! comment when i'm sitting there at Ringo Starr and Pat Benetar. I hope i don't thrust my hip out of place.

Flame on! said:
Except you just said that there aren't any ballads anymore, so obviously you truly don't want to find them...

Considering the amount of time and money i spend at concerts, acquiring music online or in stores. i think i search well enough. Give me some examples of ballads out there TODAY that are on par with Led or Meatloaf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"