BvS What OTHER elements from The Dark Knight Returns could we see?

TDkReturns was a ok but the way Superman was portrayed was really bad. Superman was really dumb in that comic book, at least Superman had a purpose in TDKSA even TDKSA was really bad.
I wonder if this movie will feature Battfleck with oversized kryptonite boxing gloves, bashing Supe up and saying "I'm done talking, get out of my cave"? :hehe:

TDkReturns was a ok but the way Superman was portrayed was really bad. Superman was really dumb in that comic book, at least Superman had a purpose in TDKSA even TDKSA was really bad.

I just hope that Superman will not be portrayed as a government puppet like he was portrayed in TDKReturns.

Apart from Batman: Year One, everything Miller has written on Batman has been either satire or deconstructive.

Superman in The Dark Knight Returns is a satire/deconstruction of what Superman was in the 1940's (when written by creator Jerry Siegel). In the 40's Superman was being published as a means to sell war bonds and contained anti- Japanese sentiment the infamous "slap a Jap" issue of Action Comics #58 and Action #63 showing Superman attacking the Japanese air force on the cover and Superman #133 showing Superman taking part of an invasion force.

Frank Miller took that Superman and took him to his natural conclusion, but with some of modern (at the time) Superman's sensibilities thrown in. He worked for the government, and did so willingly, he didn't have to work for them, but it was the only way he could get any work done.

He does the same for Batman, but in a different light, and there are probably many different reviews that go over this, but it takes the no-nonsense pulp character he began as and injects it with the superhero of modern publications.

However, people never praise Miller's (All-Star) Batman and Robin The Boy Wonder. Now, there is reason to. It's the satirical take of his own Batman. Following The Dark Knight Returns and Batman: Year One, the 80's, 90's and early 00's were defined as writer after writer doing there best to write Batman like Miller did and creating the era known as the "Bat-Jerk" or "Bat-dick" (though the second name would be claimed by Grayson in his 3 year run as Batman). The era was defined for me, by Bruce punching Dick Grayson in the face and telling him not to contact him, leaving him alone in the cave crying.

Frank Miller was trying to show the writers how goddamned stupid they are and how it looked to him. So he writes Batman as someone desperately trying to be cool and impress kids or earn recognition amongst peers (new readers/ Robin), but failing at every turn. Batman & Robin The Boy Wonder is to Batman what The Dark Knight Returns is to Superman, it's a satire.

Sure, neither DKR or ASBAR have as many great moments on the surface as B: YO (ASBAR only has like 5), but they are better when you scratch the surface a little.

The problem is that with ASBAR, it doesn't come across like a satire, at least not to me. It comes across more as Miller going "I wanted this to be taken seriously, but then a lot of people hated it, so I'll say it was satire to cover my ass." Also, I DESPISE how Miller writes Wonder Woman, period.

And how he DRAWS her.

frank-miller-wonder-woman.jpg

It looks Bowdlerized, yet oddly sexualized at the same time. Like a dirty old PRUDE drew WW :D

They shouldn't go for a direct adaptation of TDKReturns imo. They should take inspiration from it but not a direct adaption, they shouldn't do a direct adaptation of any comics book. Satire or not Superman shouldn't be the puppet of the government even if it's a joke.

The Government attempting to use Superman seems pretty acceptable ;)

I'm sure they'd try. Even despite him saying, no chance, guys.

Agreed.

Thinking about it. If he started at just a simple task, things would escalate. They'd take advantage.

Lex ended up hating Superman because he couldn't take control of him and his power. That's a concept I'm more interested in.

Agreed.

Thinking about it. If he started at just a simple task, things would escalate. They'd take advantage.

Lex ended up hating Superman because he couldn't take control of him and his power. That's a concept I'm more interested in.

If Superman work with the government personally i don't have a problem with that even if i'm a fan but i don't think i'm representative. But i know that if Superman is portrayed as a government puppet a lot of fans will not take it.

They wouldn't.

I personally wouldn't mind it, if it was just about Supes learning and establishing himself.

But being under the government's thumb? Nah

They wouldn't.

I personally wouldn't mind it, if it was just about Supes learning and establishing himself.

But being under the government's thumb? Nah

Heard that ! That would negate pretty much everything Superman
said to Swanwick in MOS.

"I'm here to help, but it has to be on MY terms."

"You're scared of me because you can't control me, you never will."

No disrespect to all those American Supermaniacs/Batmaniacs out there, but the way your government's going, they wouldn't be able to pay Superman, even if he was only making minimum wage.

Having said that, Superman clearly established himself as an American hero in MOS, which is something you guys should be proud of. Would still like to see him visit other parts of the globe in upcoming films, although he has been to Canada and India (in MOS).

It would be great to see the American military/government try to control Clark, and him having to walk the line of staying independent while not becoming a public enemy.

If I had to guess, Wayne industries is able to recreate the atmosphere that weakened Zod and his men.

Batman will then have his way with a weakened superman in a honest fist fight.

No over sized gloves needed.

Yeah that would make a lot of sense. I don't know if we'll get green rock kryptonite

If they go down that road it would be pretty cool, if you ask me. Superman without powers, but not rendered useless ala kryptonite. A legit man on man contest. My money would be firmly on Batman there, however it could definitely highlight Superman’s worth and heart without the safety of invulnerability.

If I had to guess, Wayne industries is able to recreate the atmosphere that weakened Zod and his men.

Batman will then have his way with a weakened superman in a honest fist fight.

No over sized gloves needed.

I'd love it if Superman finally grapples with Batman and throws him in the air, while catching him near the ground to reveal his true strength (which some SHOULD exist, even in a weakened state)

I don't know if anyone's went into this but has anyone ever thought that in any way they could bring the mutants into this movie?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"