The Avengers What people DIDN'T like from The Avenger ........Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're making a whole movie about Spider-Man's daddy issues!

Alright, you're crossing the line from ardent supporter to jerk.

Maybe so, but it's like someone who picks apart a film like ET or Raiders of the Lost Ark. Just forget all that ********, enjoy yourself.

No one should watch a film, any film, actively seeking out flaws. If they leap out at you, fine. But to actively seek out flaws? You're just ruining it for yourself at the end of the day and someone who does that? Yea, there is something wrong with them.

Maybe so, but it's like someone who picks apart a film like ET or Raiders of the Lost Ark. Just forget all that ********, enjoy yourself.

No one should watch a film, any film, actively seeking out flaws. If they leap out at you, fine. But to actively seek out flaws? You're just ruining it for yourself at the end of the day and someone who does that? Yea, there is something wrong with them.

Agreed :word:

So the ice is now enchanted? Interesting.

We don't know for certain, we were just giving an option on how. The Giants seem to be able to create ice outta thin air and even their touch is deadly. Maybe it's magic based. Or they can make it extremely hard and dense. I know it the comics Ice Man has created Ice shields that bullets couldn't penetrate as well as the ice that he shields himself with. Just saying man.

We don't know for certain, we were just giving an option on how. The Giants seem to be able to create ice outta thin air and even their touch is deadly. Maybe it's magic based. Or they can make it extremely hard and dense. I know it the comics Ice Man has created Ice shields that bullets couldn't penetrate as well as the ice that he shields himself with. Just saying man.

Yep we're dealing with comic book heroes here, even Batman survived a 400 ft fall unharmed after he was injured by dogs earlier in the film.

I enjoyed myself and my god I smiled a lot. i felt like a kid. I've not had a good feeling like this in the theater since the 1st Matrix. While Avengers didn't eclipse my love of my favorite film of all time it came close. Now of course I'll have to see it a 2nd time to see how it holds up with repeat viewings but right now It's one of the best I've seen. Yes I have nitpicks but not anything that took away from the film like GL or Superman Returns.

It's Marvel comics, man. Everyone has issues.

Which I appreciate. I just know I didn't expect to think him weak when I watched and was disappointed at how I never really thought he stood a chance. He's more of a supporting character rather than a main one. Maybe that was the intent?

They're making a whole movie about Spider-Man's daddy issues!

I have zero desire to see that or the new DK movie. Saw trailers for both and literally rolled my eyes.

Which I appreciate. I just know I didn't expect to think him weak when I watched and was disappointed at how I never really thought he stood a chance. He's more of a supporting character rather than a main one. Maybe that was the intent?

I think it was kinda intended. Too many superhero movies have the villain overshadow the heroes. This one was about the heroes.

But still, I think Loki is a compelling and complex character. Saying his beef is daddy issues is an over simplification i think.

I have zero desire to see that or the new DK movie. Saw trailers for both and literally rolled my eyes.

Why? They look like they're going to be pretty good films to me.

I think it was kinda intended. Too many superhero movies have the villain overshadow the heroes. This one was about the heroes.

But still, I think Loki is a compelling and complex character. Saying his beef is daddy issues is an over simplification i think.

Definately, they're called "superhero" movies and not "super villain" movies for a reason.

Well, you and I are in complete agreement that The Avengers is frickin amazing and that there are zero movie-breaking plot holes or anything.

But nobody here went to watch the movie looking to dislike it. If some person sits down, gives the movie a fair shake and just can't help but notice particular things that bug him/her, their opinion is as valid as anyone elses.

I definitely had some qualms with this movie, and seeing it twice now, my qualms remained the same both times.

- The movie starts off quite slow and doesn't really catch its stride until about an hour in. While I didn't mind the recruiting scenes so much, I absolutely hated the opening scene with SHIELD. The way it was shot and edited left me feeling really underwhelmed and did not get me pumped up for the rest of the movie. (though I do love the moment when Colson asks "what are we going to do?" and the title hits)
- Some of the dialogue was paaaainfully cheesy. The one instance that springs to mind most is the scene where Black Widow and Hawkeye are talking after Hawkeye regains control of his mind.
- I really wanted to know more about how Banner managed to control the Hulk. Ruffalo shocked me with how good he was and made me completely forget about Norton's performance (and I loved Norton as Banner), so I was hoping to get a bit more in depth with him.
- About 30% of the jokes really didn't land with me and felt incredibly forced. However, having said that, when the jokes really did hit, they REALLY hit.
- I hated the nuke plot point. The second it came up I groaned in my seat. Seriously, it's such a generic and predictable copout for ending a huge invasion battle.

Other than that and the fact that the story was a bit too simple than what I hoped, I loved this movie. Particularly after all of the characters are introduced and the movie gets going. It wasn't quite as good as I hoped, but it was entertaining as hell and I would have no problems with going to see it a third time.

Yep we're dealing with comic book heroes here, even Batman survived a 400 ft fall unharmed after he was injured by dogs earlier in the film.

Hahahahah that's funny. He fell 400 ft but was injured by them dogs. If you want an option on how he managed the fall then I would say the Batsuit. I know it's suposed to made of bullet proof and impact absorbing materials as well as some form of heat protection. I don't know, it's comic stuff. The Dogs were to close I guess and got in on the weak spots.

I just don't pay attention to that stuff in these type films unless it's too over the top.

Well, you and I are in complete agreement that The Avengers is frickin amazing and that there are zero movie-breaking plot holes or anything.

But nobody here went to watch the movie looking to dislike it. If some person sits down, gives the movie a fair shake and just can't help but notice particular things that bug him/her, their opinion is as valid as anyone elses.

Of course. I never intended to come across that way, i apologize if it did.

I admit I'm over simplifying his issues but only because he came across as a whiny baby to me. If Feige et al never wanted me to see Loki as a real threat, mission accomplished. Now that I'm thinking about Loki being a puppet, maybe it really was the intent. Could be why they intermittently dropped scenes in of the one really in charge and why he seemed happy in the mid credit scene. He probably thought Loki couldn't pull it off too. LOL

"A" nuke?

Dayum, NCC 1701 Enterprise's shields >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Chitauri mothership

I admit I'm over simplifying his issues but only because he came across as a whiny baby to me. If Feige et al never wanted me to see Loki as a real threat, mission accomplished. Now that I'm thinking about Loki being a puppet, maybe it really was the intent. Could be why they intermittently dropped scenes in of the one really in charge and why he seemed happy in the mid credit scene. He probably thought Loki couldn't pull it off too. LOL

Yea, i think a big part of his arc in Avengers is that he underestimated humanity. It was his first interaction with them, presumably since the middle ages where they were worshipped as Gods. Now he comes to Earth assuming things are the same, thinking he'll easily run the roost. Well, he got put in his place heh.

And it was quite clear he was a puppet to a more powerful being. The "he" who gave him the sceptre. The "he" who would seek him out if he failed etc.

You have to understand that a huge majority of people watching this movie don't and never have read the comics. Had what you described shown up onscreen, I'd think differently. As it stands all I saw during this movie was a spoiled brat who has daddy issues.

And nothing can be scarier or more destructive than a spoiled brat with power. The most heinous mass murders of history read like spoiled brats with power.

And nothing can be scarier or more destructive than a spoiled brat with power. The most heinous mass murders of history read like spoiled brats with power.

True. In interviews leading up to the film Hiddleston mentioned that the worlds most heinous despots and dictators were usually insecure and wanted validation.

I definitely had some qualms with this movie, and seeing it twice now, my qualms remained the same both times.

- The movie starts off quite slow and doesn't really catch its stride until about an hour in. While I didn't mind the recruiting scenes so much, I absolutely hated the opening scene with SHIELD. The way it was shot and edited left me feeling really underwhelmed and did not get me pumped up for the rest of the movie. (though I do love the moment when Colson asks "what are we going to do?" and the title hits)
- Some of the dialogue was paaaainfully cheesy. The one instance that springs to mind most is the scene where Black Widow and Hawkeye are talking after Hawkeye regains control of his mind.
- I really wanted to know more about how Banner managed to control the Hulk. Ruffalo shocked me with how good he was and made me completely forget about Norton's performance (and I loved Norton as Banner), so I was hoping to get a bit more in depth with him.
- About 30% of the jokes really didn't land with me and felt incredibly forced. However, having said that, when the jokes really did hit, they REALLY hit.
- I hated the nuke plot point. The second it came up I groaned in my seat. Seriously, it's such a generic and predictable copout for ending a huge invasion battle.

Other than that and the fact that the story was a bit too simple than what I hoped, I loved this movie. Particularly after all of the characters are introduced and the movie gets going. It wasn't quite as good as I hoped, but it was entertaining as hell and I would have no problems with going to see it a third time.

I'm with you on most nukes as the option in films but here I think it was with merit. I mean what would you have Homeland security or whatever that council represented do as another option??? A portal where an invasion fleet is pouring in and so far it seems the machine is shielded where they can't shut it off. Their isn't many options i could think of doing but a nuke to try and shut it or destroy that machine.

From a national security stand point the longer that portal remains open the more of the invasion fleet is gonna pour in to the point where their numbers would be to great. Also the council is looking at the unknown. Aliens with advanced tech is deemed a high threat, so wasting time with options to shut off the portal or take out the machine is to great a risk. They have know way of knowing what else is gonna come out of that portal. Waiting to find out isn't an option I wouldn't want to take if I was in their shoes. Lets kill it now and while we will lose NYC it's better then the entire planet.

Why? They look like they're going to be pretty good films to me.

Definately, they're called "superhero" movies and not "super villain" movies for a reason.

Spiderman has been done ad nauseum now so I really don't care to see them reinvent that wheel. DK cast people I wouldn't watch for free. I know they are superhero movies but I need to feel there is at least some danger and Thor could whip Loki with one hand when he truly wants to. Loki comes across as a lover not a fighter.

Thank you! I set out to love it and only ended up liking it. It happens. Calling my intelligence into question is uncalled for. WTH would I pay good money for my family for something I want to pick apart? I'm too cheap for that.

IA with this. Some of the lines that had people laughing in this forum left my theater quiet.

True. In interviews leading up to the film Hiddleston mentioned that the worlds most heinous despots and dictators were usually insecure and wanted validation.

I have to admit, I had low expectations for Loki in The Avengers. When I would hear Hiddleston say things like "Loki is definitely a lot more villainous in this film, but there's still that side to him that is vulnerable and lost" I wanted to believe it, but it basically sounded like code for "nothing about me from Thor really carries over, the movie needs a bad guy so I'll be straight evil."

But I'm happy to have been completely wrong.

Yea, i think a big part of his arc in Avengers is that he underestimated humanity. It was his first interaction with them, presumably since the middle ages where they were worshipped as Gods. Now he comes to Earth assuming things are the same, thinking he'll easily run the roost. Well, he got put in his place heh.

And it was quite clear he was a puppet to a more powerful being. The "he" who gave him the sceptre. The "he" who would seek him out if he failed etc.

Run Loki, RUN!

Sure if I believed he was capable. That's where it falls short for me. Hulk said it best. He came across as "puny" not powerful or one to be feared. At least to me. shrugs

Sure if I believed he was capable. That's where it falls short for me. Hulk said it best. He came across as "puny" not powerful or one to be feared. At least to me. shrugs

He stood toe to toe with Iron Man and Captain America before he ALLOWED HIMSELF to be captured. He indescriminately killed innocent people. He used mind control to make people do evil murderous things. He conspired with an alien race and brought them to Earth to enslave and kill humans (succeeding in killing possibly thousands of people in the melee that ensured).......and you don't think he was someone to be feared?

I have to admit, I had low expectations for Loki in The Avengers. When I would hear Hiddleston say things like "Loki is definitely a lot more villainous in this film, but there's still that side to him that is vulnerable and lost" I wanted to believe it, but it basically sounded like code for "nothing about me from Thor really carries over, the movie needs a bad guy so I'll be straight evil."

But I'm happy to have been completely wrong.

Indeed. I wasn't expecting much from Loki, but I loved him in this film. I got such a kick watching the smile on his face when his plans came to fruition. Almost as much of a kick as I got watching Hulk slap him around :woot:

The part where he was taking that guys eyeball and just sadistically smiling as everyone ran in terror? Yea, the guys a nasty piece of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"