The Avengers What people DIDN'T like from The Avenger ........Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understood it that way that during the last two years Banner managed to control the transformation and the Hulk. So yes, Banner can hulk out at will and he can influence the Hulk's actions.

However, at the Helicarrier Hulk was magically manipulated by Loki. So that was an uncontrolled transformation. The Hulk went berserk because Loki interfered with his mind.

So, no movie mistake here IMO.

So when he was about to crush Black Window he was totally in control of what was he doing.

Only one thing happened in the movie i didn't like....

they killed Coulson

Loki is not a true asgardian.

He has all of the physical attributes of an average Asgardian so it really doesn't matter.

Yeah, but that's a problem for me. There should be a danger so big that the audience feels that our heroes could fail.

Think about LOTR. During the whole trilogy it was said that the heroes don't have a chance. They can't win. Or maybe yes, they can win, but its so unlikely.
That's what made LOTR exciting.

There should have been a real challenge in the Avengers for Thor and Hulk.

Yeah but from what I've heard the aliens aren't really that powerful, so I'm glad they didn't neuter Thor and Hulk for the sake of drama.

So what do you think would've been the best solution, make Loki's army more powerful or make Thor & Hulk weaker?

Last edited:
I understood it that way that during the last two years Banner managed to control the transformation and the Hulk. So yes, Banner can hulk out at will and he can influence the Hulk's actions.

Was only just over a year not 2 years. And yes he can't control his transformation, but he can control his anger and let it out when he wants.
I think Hulk is his own beast and Banner has no control over him, however Hulk is aware of Banner's interactions.

So the reason he attacked was due to Loki's manipulation, when he returns he knows he is among friends and that the Chitauri are the enemies who are harming innocents.

You know he can't control the Hulk when he says to Black Widow - "What if the other guy says no?"

Yeah but from what I've heard the aliens aren't really that powerful, so I'm glad they didn't neuter Thor and Hulk for the sake of drama.

So what do you think would've been the best solution, make Loki's army more powerful or make Thor & Hulk weaker?

That is my biggest complaint, there is no real sense of threat or danger, at least to Avengers, Chituri alien army is not that much powerful, they could have been defeated by normal human Army, though that would have resulted in more deaths, still it was possible too defeat them even without the help of Avengers.

My gripes would be

- Poor character development. This had a knock on effect on key scenes such as Coulson's death. It was poorly executed IMO.
- Dumbing down of the chitauri.
- Loki being made into Hulk's ***** and his whimpering in the aftermath, it undone the good work earlier in the film presenting Loki as a sinister and serious threat.
- Captain America's almost non-role in the film until the final battle (Whedon himself said that CA took the biggest hit in the editing room).

A very enjoyable 2 hours which flew by but the film was just missing something, mainly heart. Disappointing as I'm a Whedon fan and if there's anything this guy knows how to do better than most, it is to make something heartfelt that will make you experience a wide range of emotions.

However, at the Helicarrier Hulk was magically manipulated by Loki. So that was an uncontrolled transformation. The Hulk went berserk because Loki interfered with his mind.

So, no movie mistake here IMO.

Ah yes, I forgot about Loki controlling his mind. They didn't do a good job of making that obvious. As far as I remember, Black Widow mentioned it but that was all.

My gripes would be

- Poor character development. This had a knock on effect on key scenes such as Coulson's death. It was poorly executed IMO.
- Dumbing down of the chitauri.
- Loki being made into Hulk's ***** and his whimpering in the aftermath, it undone the good work earlier in the film presenting Loki as a sinister and serious threat.
- Captain America's almost non-role in the film until the final battle (Whedon himself said that CA took the biggest hit in the editing room).

A very enjoyable 2 hours which flew by but the film was just missing something, mainly heart. Disappointing as I'm a Whedon fan and if there's anything this guy knows how to do better than most, it is to make something heartfelt that will make you experience a wide range of emotions.

Didn't Whedon say that we will look at Avengers with pov of Captain America, what happened with that ?

I thought when Cap is first brought on board, that we pretty much did see things from his perspective. When the bickering began, Rogers was the only one who seemed to put service above himself, which is how everyone else was thinking (hence Thors comment).

As said, Cap prob suffered from editing. It would be nice to see the longer cut for the eventual bluray, but I dont think that will happen.

As for what I didnt like, my gripe would of course have to be aimed at Robert Downey. I've been pretty vocal about not liking him in the part. I thought he was better when he wasnt being a comedian, and actually became a bit more serious. The constant one liners just grated on my nerves.

Last edited:
I have hardly any complaints about the first 2 acts

My only one is from Act 2

I would have preferred Hulk v Thor to be more of a continuous fight scene, without cutting into small parts. Each time it cuts away it takes you out of the fight. It was only a short fight to being with, so it would not ruin any momentum whatsoever. The only cut should have been when Fury says to make a distraction.

Most of my issues were actually with the final battle

My only issues (not so that they detracted from first viewing, but will irritate slightly on more)...

Loki after he jumps on the alien flying bike - from dangerous, unbalanced and sinister, to... Nothing much. I like to think it was because he was becoming MORE unhinged and losing the plot, but could have been done better.
Further, while Hulk ragdolling him was funny 1st time, yeah I'll be irritated by it later...

The Hulk - still not a character to me. He actually reminded me of a gorilla in his 'characterisation'. Except when influenced by Loki and went crazy - that was fantastic!

Having worked out how to 'un-mindcontrol Hawkeye, noone thought to try that on Selvig, the guy who built Loki's machine?

And of course Cap's helmet...

Again, nitpicks the lot of them. I voted 9 of 10 and think I'm being a little harsh :)

I knew this was gonna happen ....

Notice all the Batman fans harping on the same things over and over again.

LOL .... El Payaso brought a posse!

Ah yes, I forgot about Loki controlling his mind. They didn't do a good job of making that obvious. As far as I remember, Black Widow mentioned it but that was all.

The first time they bring Loki into the Hellicarrier he looks at Banner and we see Banner start to get a head ache. Hinting that Loki was wriggling around in there...

I knew this was gonna happen ....

Notice all the Batman fans harping on the same things over and over again.

LOL .... El Payaso brought a posse!

Do they happen to look like these guys?

L3601ec030000_1_9309.jpg

One thing that did irk me a bit in hindsight was how Loki gets pwned multiple times. Not in a villain gets his comeuppance sort of way but in a way that makes him look foolish.
Like when he catches the arrow only for it to blow up in his face knocking him off the aircraft, him being outsmarted by Black Widow in their scene, him trying to mindcontrol Stark then realizing it didnt work and of course the Hulk moment.
I know its probably to make each of the Avengers look awesome but those scenes made Loki look like a bit of an idiot, which contrasts his first appearance in which he was made to look like a badass.

The first time they bring Loki into the Hellicarrier he looks at Banner and we see Banner start to get a head ache. Hinting that Loki was wriggling around in there...

I must have missed that bit, I apologise.
I ain't part of no posse. I like the film a hell of a lot actually. Didn't think it was going to be as good as it was. I was pleasantly surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"