Studios affraid of a solo female centered comic film?

Bomber

Civilian
Reaction score
There are many great female superheros.

-Catwoman
-Wonder Woman
-Elektra
-The Black Cat
-Ms. Marvel
-Spider-Woman
-Batwoman
-Huntress
-Supergirl

Do you find fear in studios biting the bullet to go with a solo film focused on a female hero?

The last three times it has been done (Supergirl, Catwoman, Elektra) it wasn't met with critical approval or big money at the box office.

Of course, those movies were crap.

Part of the problem is that many female superheroes are not A listers with their own comics. Mostly, however, I think its an all around Hollywood bias against films with female leads.

I think the problem is that the studios are more concerned with making the female characters come off as sex symbols as opposed to heroines. Yeah, I know their costumes in the comics don't help much but they need to focus on making these characters worthwhile on screen. They had Catwoman fighting a make up company. What the ****.

I do think that studios are a beat weary of female heroes. I think the same thing for minority superheroes. I think they see the numbers and think that because Catwoman and Elektra, for example didnt do that well financially or critically that there is no interest in female heroes. I think they also believe that young boys won't go see a female hero. But here's a little thing about that, in regards to a TV show Legend of Korra with a female lead.

Some Nickelodeon executives were worried, says Konietzko, about backing an animated action show with a female lead character. Conventional TV wisdom has it that girls will watch shows about boys, but boys won't watch shows about girls.

During test screenings, though, boys said they didn't care that Korra was a girl. They just said she was awesome.
http://www.npr.org/2012/04/13/150566153/airbender-creators-reclaim-their-world-in-korra

I think some female heroes, especially Wonder Woman could be really popular if they make a good film.

I would love Marvel Studios to make a solo movie for Black Widow, Ms. Marvel, She-Hulk, Spider-Woman and a reboot for Elektra. I think they can pull it off with a budget of $40 to $100 million.

And I really want DC to finally make a Wonder Woman movie!

I always wanted to a live action Power-Puff Girls film. Minus the flipper arms and legs of course.

I'd like to see a female centered film, there is a lot of potential and personally, I'd love a Black Widow film but the realist in me says it'll never happen. I'm going to predict that the only female headed film that has even a remote chance of being made is Wonder Woman, and only if WB are pushing for Justice League promotion.

It's a shame that Wonder Woman hasn't been made yet

There are many great female superheros.

-Catwoman
-Wonder Woman
-Elektra
-The Black Cat
-Ms. Marvel
-Spider-Woman
-Batwoman
-Huntress
-Supergirl
Great in the comics maybe. Only Wonder Woman from that list doesn't need another film to come before it.

Studios affraid of a solo female centered comic film?

If they are afraid of Solo female centered movies, than they should do a team female centered movie...

daughtersofthedragonsid.jpg

For solo, I think if DC could get Wonder Woman off the ground, it would be a game changer as far as launching other female heroes . They can't seem to get it together though.
Maybe spinning off Hathaway's Catwoman from Nolan.

catwomanfilm.jpg

Right now Marvel's Black Widow is probably the best shot of putting someone out there. her appearance in both Iron-Man and Avengers has given her enough recognition and (non comic fan) interest, that a spin-off solo movie, maybe focusing on her origins,recruitment into SHIELD or leading into how her and Hawkeye first met, could work right now.
black-widow-avengers-poster.jpeg

They are also apparently working on (Carol Danvers)Captain Marvel

Last edited:
I do think that studios are a beat weary of female heroes. I think the same thing for minority superheroes. I think they see the numbers and think that because Catwoman and Elektra, for example didnt do that well financially or critically that there is no interest in female heroes. I think they also believe that young boys won't go see a female hero. But here's a little thing about that, in regards to a TV show Legend of Korra with a female lead.

I think some female heroes, especially Wonder Woman could be really popular if they make a good film.

i think Wonder Woman would have to be a spinoff to a "great" Justice League film to which Wonder Woman herself would have to be an absolute
stand out in that film, such to have a big fan base demanding a wonder woman spinoff film. But the director would just have to make Wonder Woman really unique and stand out to get that demand.

If it's done right and strong - i think Storm might be an attraction right off another great Xmen spinoff (Xmen: Class 2?) ,,,, But they would have to be add intriguing elements (racial civil rights, her deep phobia for closed-in quarters, Xavier rescuing and recruiting her...maybe include appearances by king T'Chaka aka the Black Panther as well as Shadow King.

Elektra was done just so horribly. If the fans and critics would have received a good enough return investment buzz, then word of mouth
could have got a sequel (despite many not being fond of Ben Afflick's Daredevil)
Black Widow is best fit with the Avengers group. Ditto with Ms.Marvel.
SpiderWoman would be an awful choice. (i was never interested in her comics anyway) Mockingbird cameo appearance in a future Avengers film.

movies like Resident Evil and maybe Salt ( there's strong talk of a sequel)
seems to feature strong female star roles and proving IF IT"S APPEALING AND DONE RIGHT, they can draw attention to an audience.

i have a feeling that Anne Hathaway's Catwoman is going to get a spinoff. Although she struck me more of as a BAT-GIRL rather than a Catwoman.
Would director Christopher Nolan be interested ? Or is he totally done with anything Batman-oriented? Stay tune to the director that takes this tight rope project on.

i think Wonder Woman would have to be a spinoff to a "great" Justice League film to which Wonder Woman herself would have to be an absolute
stand out in that film, such to have a big fan base demanding a wonder woman spinoff film. But the director would just have to make Wonder Woman really unique and stand out to get that demand.
I disagree completely. I dont see why WW would need to be a spin off

Its more that Wonder Woman is clearly viewed by WB as risky, so including her as part of a JLA movie would be the best way to introduce her and attempt to reach the audience. If a JLA movie did well, and Wonder Woman got praise in such, it'd probably be easy to sell WB on making a solo sequel/spin-off.

Its more that Wonder Woman is clearly viewed by WB as risky, so including her as part of a JLA movie would be the best way to introduce her and attempt to reach the audience. If a JLA movie did well, and Wonder Woman got praise in such, it'd probably be easy to sell WB on making a solo sequel/spin-off.

Why on earth would WW be "risky?" :dry:

She's easily the third most recognizable DC property behind Supes & Bats. She's had TV shows (some successful, some not), she's been a regular on animated Justice League (whether Timm-verse or "Superfriends" era), she sells plenty of merch to little girls (and big girls), and has done so for many generations.

WW is far more marketable than Green Lantern, and certainly any other DC property.

Why on earth would WW be "risky?" :dry:

She's easily the third most recognizable DC property behind Supes & Bats. She's had TV shows (some successful, some not), she's been a regular on animated Justice League (whether Timm-verse or "Superfriends" era), she sells plenty of merch to little girls (and big girls), and has done so for many generations.

WW is far more marketable than Green Lantern, and certainly any other DC property.

Okay, there are a couple questions implicit in what you ask:

1. Why does WB think its risky? Mostly because its a female lead movie, drawn from a medium designed to appeal to 18-35 males. Hell, its a female lead movie, period. Hollywood views those as risky, as far as action movies and adventures go.

2. Why would it actually be risky? This is dicier, and I present my opinion: adaptation would be much harder. Unlike Superman and Batman, Wonder Woman doesn't have a "definitive" version from which you can readily draw. She has a lot of disparate elements that have never really been refined or winnowed. Note the relatively short career of basically everyone to write Wonder Woman in the past 30 years, and how whatever each writer does generally gets broadly disregarded one or two writers later.

This means the director would have to more or less invent his own version from scratch, with many fewer source "training wheels" to rely upon. The fact that she *is* known is actually a detriment at this stage. You can reinvent Thor or Iron Man's story readily, because no one knows the character. Wonder Woman, OTOH, is known enough from the Linda Carter days that you run the risk of offending or driving off an audience that *does* matter ( as opposed to comic readers, who don't ).

Hilary Swank had been attached to star in the movie adaption of Shrapnel.

Nah Lobo is far mroe marketable

:ninja:
Maybe in the 90s, almost nobody now knows what Lobo is, i was born in the mid 90s and i only know Lobo because i heard about him here, i never actually read anything with him, right now even Deadpool is more known.

A Wonder Woman film done right would be very popular, i know a lot of people that like Wonder Woman but never actually read anything with her.

Okay, there are a couple questions implicit in what you ask:

1. Why does WB think its risky? Mostly because its a female lead movie, drawn from a medium designed to appeal to 18-35 males. Hell, its a female lead movie, period. Hollywood views those as risky, as far as action movies and adventures go.

2. Why would it actually be risky? This is dicier, and I present my opinion: adaptation would be much harder. Unlike Superman and Batman, Wonder Woman doesn't have a "definitive" version from which you can readily draw. She has a lot of disparate elements that have never really been refined or winnowed. Note the relatively short career of basically everyone to write Wonder Woman in the past 30 years, and how whatever each writer does generally gets broadly disregarded one or two writers later.

This means the director would have to more or less invent his own version from scratch, with many fewer source "training wheels" to rely upon. The fact that she *is* known is actually a detriment at this stage. You can reinvent Thor or Iron Man's story readily, because no one knows the character. Wonder Woman, OTOH, is known enough from the Linda Carter days that you run the risk of offending or driving off an audience that *does* matter ( as opposed to comic readers, who don't ).

The thing is: Wonder Woman's appeal extends far, FAR beyond the 18-35 year old male demo you're talking about. In fact, I'd say her target audience is wayyyyyy outside that bullseye. She is a pop culture icon. People who've never read a comic book in their life and who don't have a freakin' clue who Steve Trevor or Donna Troy or Hippolyta are or what the **** Themyscira is have still DEFINITELY heard of Wonder Woman.

The proper approach would be to offer WW up as THE female role model that all girls and women have been looking for. This is THEIR Superman, and needs to be treated as such. I'd even go so far as to offer it to a top-notch female director, and then put a true marquee actress in the lead. You do that, and there is no freakin' way this movie can fail. Period. It has franchise written all over it.

The trouble IMO, is that there aren't any strong, likeable, relatable and easily translatable female superheroes in comics.

It's actually the first time I've really thought about it, and now that I have it's really bothering me :(

The proper approach would be to offer WW up as THE female role model that all girls and women have been looking for. This is THEIR Superman, and needs to be treated as such. I'd even go so far as to offer it to a top-notch female director, and then put a true marquee actress in the lead. You do that, and there is no freakin' way this movie can fail. Period. It has franchise written all over it.

As a women though, I honestly don't particularly like her. I don't think she's a relatable role model at all.

Last edited:
When i think about it X-Men probably has some more likeable and related characters like Rogue or Kitty, Wonder Woman has potencial, i already met some girls that had Wonder Woman as the hero they wanted to see more on film but they never actually read anything with her. Joss Whedon would be a good choice to write a good WW script but after the lack of faith WB put on him i doubt he would goi back.

Maybe the best chances lie in Refn, he seems exited to make the film and he has already proven himself to be a very good director, give him a really good script and he will give you a great film, probably with Hendricks in the lead

Maybe in the 90s, almost nobody now knows what Lobo is, i was born in the mid 90s and i only know Lobo because i heard about him here, i never actually read anything with him, right now even Deadpool is more known..
I was kidding about Lobo

The trouble IMO, is that there aren't any strong, likeable, relatable and easily translatable female superheroes in comics.

It's actually the first time I've really thought about it, and now that I have it's really bothering me :(

As a women though, I honestly don't particularly like her. I don't think she's a relatable role model at all.

Thank you for saying this. One of my exes had to set me straight on this: Wonder Woman is not for women. She's been written for guys as a power/sex fantasy, and isn't much like a woman, in a relatable way, at all. For me, it's very easy to contrast her with successful relatable female protagonists, or any comics character for that matter, and see what's missing. Imho: femininity (with all it's glorious strengths and weaknesses), agency (the ability to be a function of her own decisions instead of those of others) and pathos (being appealing because her experiences mirror ours, not because she's badass or sexy or a feminist icon or etc).

A successful superheroine movie would be a dramatic departure from comics for this reason. A successful female superhero would, I believe, emote much more than any female comics character does (and be justified and right to do so) and have a story that is resolved by something other than beating the snot out of someone, in a situation where brute force would be an inferior solution. At least, that's what I see successful female protagonists do if they have their own films, as opposed to playing second to a male action star.

Now to be fair, many people don't feel Superman is a relatable role model either, simply because they haven't read much Superman, and just gone on the basic concept and decided he couldn't possibly be relatable if he has X and Y. But I think Diana, and many other comics females, have that Z that makes it work.

EDIT:
Overall, I think studios are justified in their fear. The treating of comics books females as simple fantasies and extensions of the male characters, means that not attempt to translate it faithfully into a relatable story will fail just like making baked ice cream. Any successful/relatable solo superheroine film is going to be a dramatic departure from the source material. Her characterization is going to be maligned by fans. If she has a comics-based supporting cast there'll be criticism of why they are not superior to her in X, Y and Z way as in the comics. Etc, etc. Comics fans won't be able to understand why Wonder Woman acts more like Katniss than Conan. Of course, perhaps if it's an original superheroine it might have a shot without such issues.

Last edited:
It is a pity that Whedon's Wonderwoman fell through the cracks. At the end of the day, these characters require the right creative team.

I would pay good money to see a Black Widow, Ms. Marvel, or WW film. Do not get me wrong: I would be close to dying happy if a Batwoman film was made, based on the modern iteration of the character. Sadly, a lesbian superhero would be suicide in the world where Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, and Evangelism exist.

Batgirl has the potential to be great as long as The Killing Joke is avoided. Sure, a severe injury from similar circumstances - a la TDKR-
from which she heals and triumphs would work.
Having Barbara bound to a wheelchair would be in poor taste and not aid the aforementioned problem with female superheroes in both mediums.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"