BvS What Went Wrong w/ Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (SPOILERS) - Part 3

So still more of the same arrogant and dismissive nonsense instead of engaging in an actual discussion?

If I seem arrogant, it's because I've made a habit of exposing myself to a wide range of films and literature over the course of my life, and I have standards that this bomb failed to meet. I began the discussion in earnest on the fifth page when I absolutely destroyed the movie's frigid and ubiquitous plot contrivances. Check back; it's still there. You responded but offered nothing viable. Really, your counter reads as if you're talking to yourself. Perhaps you were trying to coax yourself into believing what you were typing. But if anyone can offer a pointed retort to what I laid out, I'm all ears. That person doesn't seem to be you, though. Honestly, if anyone can show me how the machinations of the screenplay are honest to the protagonists and respectful of the intelligence of the audience, I'll give them a million dollars cash.

If I seem arrogant, it's because I've made a habit of exposing myself to a wide range of films and literature over the course of my life, and I have standards that this bomb failed to meet. I began the discussion in earnest on the fifth page when I absolutely destroyed the movie's frigid and ubiquitous plot contrivances. Check back; it's still there. You responded but offered nothing viable. Really, your counter reads as if you're talking to yourself. Perhaps you were trying to coax yourself into believing what you were typing. But if anyone can offer a pointed retort to what I laid out, I'm all ears. That person doesn't seem to be you, though. Honestly, if anyone can show me how the machinations of the screenplay are honest to the protagonists and respectful of the intelligence of the audience, I'll give them a million dollars cash.

So I was very curious and went back and read your post on page 5 Assassin. Great post. Really great post. The characters were done a grave disservice and I blame greed for this script ever being approved.

I leaps of logic and outright assumptions that have to be made to see any sort of validity of this story is tragic. Makes me appreciate good storytelling.

It seems like you want your unpopular opinion on this movie to be understood, and your empassioned posts aren't helping your cause. So that's why you might want to share more about your aesthetical index. But, if not, that's your prerogative.
Her opinion is hardly unpopular.

But I really don't mean to get into discussion about the merits of BvS with this post. Just wanted to post that I know missll and that she is a very intelligent and thoughtful poster.

It seems like you want your unpopular opinion on this movie to be understood, and your empassioned posts aren't helping your cause. So that's why you might want to share more about your aesthetical index. But, if not, that's your prerogative.

Her opinion is not unpopular, like has been stated before.

I don't really see the need for so much BS discussion. It's not like you can make someone who likes the movie dislike it, or vice versa.

BvS has obvious problems that are easy to point and most people would agree with. For some those problems make it a bad movie, for others, they weren't enough to ruin their experience because they could find joy in other elements of the film.

Her opinion is hardly unpopular.

I disagree with this statement. The film has a bad IMBD rating, a dreadful Rotten Tomatoes score, and it was a pop culture flop. Where do they talk about Batman v Superman beyond geek message boards? I can think of only one other notable place: A joke on Saturday Night Live's Weekend Update this spring, when they railed the film for its poor quality. Popular opinion has spoken, and BvS didn't make the cut. Because it's bad.

Here's how we can alter your statement and make it true: Her opinion is hardly unpopular amongst a strident sect of fanatics who choose to ignore (or remain blind to) the film's glaring narrative flaws for love of the characters.

You're talking to a banned member there.

The_Manhunter? It doesn't say he's banned.

Oh sorry I thought it was BlackMask you quoted since they both said the same thing in your quote.

I disagree with this statement. The film has a bad IMBD rating, a dreadful Rotten Tomatoes score, and it was a pop culture flop. Where do they talk about Batman v Superman beyond geek message boards? I can think of only one other notable place: A joke on Saturday Night Live's Weekend Update this spring, when they railed the film for its poor quality. Popular opinion has spoken, and BvS didn't make the cut. Because it's bad.

Here's how we can alter your statement and make it true: Her opinion is hardly unpopular amongst a strident sect of fanatics who choose to ignore (or remain blind to) the film's glaring narrative flaws for love of the characters.

I still cannot believe that you continue to rely on both the ad populum and appeal to authority fallacies to defend your take on this film. If you want to defend your opinions, then defend them.

You have a problem with an argumentum ad populum being used to debate the POPULAR OPINION of a movie? Okay.

You already read my defense of my opinion. It's back on page five, and it's airtight.

Exactly, which is why the film goes out of its way to show that Superman does everything in his power to avoid coming to blows with Batman, and Batman only is convinced blows are necessary through a combination of external manipulation and PTSD clouding his judgment.

The film asserts that Batman is a hero who has been retraumatized by the Black Zero event and the sum total of two decades of failures and losses. We're shown that grief, tragedy, loss, and failure has turned a good man cruel. Given this context, Batman's actions are far from contrived. Superman, on the other hand, is presented as naive yet still committed to his mission as Superman. He saves people, he investigates abuses of power, and he complies with government investigations. Superman is asserted to be someone whose greatest weakness is his emotional attachments, and this is exactly what Lex exploits. Even so, Superman never seriously executes a plan to use violence to solve his problems. He finds hope in those he loves, and he only fights Batman in self defense.

Batman and Superman are presented as empathetic, in my view. I empathize with Bruce's trauma: the fear, anxiety, and depression that has caused him to lose control of his judgment and even sanity. He's spent twenty years watching everything he's tried to achieve come to nothing. He's lost friends. He was powerless to save his people at Wayne Enterprises in Metropolis when Zod attacked. Do I agree with him? No, but there's nothing about Bruce's feelings or actions that I do not feel for or understand.

Superman is far from a cypher. He's an alien -- an other -- who is still working out his own identity, but he's also struggling with the mutability of public opinion. He wants to do good and tries to do good, but it never seems to come without a price. And no matter how many times he saves people, he still is not trusted. In those circumstances, he clings to those who love him and truly know him. He investigates Batman because he sees in him someone who is giving heroes like himself a bad name. He cares about powerful men abusing their power. More than anything, I can empathize with Superman's discouragement. The despair that can seep in when the good you do is unappreciated, or worse, misinterpreted. I empathize with his frustration with having power while also having to apply that power with restraint and humility lest people fear or hate you. I empathize with how challenging it can be to stay true to yourself when the things that mean most to you in this world are at risk.

A point that I love and find utterly compelling. I love the idea that even with their ideological differences, Batman and Superman do not have it in themselves to actually fight. I love the suggestion that conflict between two heroes who should by all rights be allies and friends must be manipulated by men of privilege and power in order to reach the point of violent conflict. Because that is a concept that is so real to me. There are so many disparate groups in this world with common interests who would be best served by working together to achieve progressive goals, but there are powerful entities who use their power to stoke fear and hate in order to maintain the status quo. For example, politicians often use fear to win elections, start wars, or justify a crackdown on civil liberties.

Poorly related? He was raised by an abusive father who taught him to fear tyrants. Lex is a brilliant, powerful, and wealthy man who uses his intelligence, power, and wealth to maintain control. The existence of Superman threatens Lex's sense of control and security. He's someone whose power and goodness challenge Lex because Lex cannot equal him. Lex projects onto Superman both his hatred for his father and his hatred for a god who failed to save him. Typically, Lex Luthor despises Superman and seeks to destroy him because he believes himself to be humanity's true Superman. He believes humanity is threatened by superior beings from other worlds. He's a true Ubermensch. DCEU Lex is hardly cut from a different cloth.

It is trite to kidnap someone a hero loves to generate conflict, but given what we know about Superman in this universe, it is the only play that makes sense. It is also a creative decision that links Batman and Superman together -- creates empathy -- in a way that allows the film to explore how love, empathy, and connection can resolve conflict. Superman chooses to face Batman because he wanted to believe that there was something in Batman that was still good. He was not proven wrong. Superman was told that if he was caught in the act of saving his mother, then she was as good as dead. He was also told that he had considerable time constraints. Superman examined the situation in front of him and chose faith in his fellow man as his strategy. That's the kind of Superman I want to see. I want to see a Superman who is capable of believing that someone as belligerent as Batman could see reason and be a hero. I want to see a Superman who believes in second chances.

First of all, Batman is not privileged with the same omniscient point of view of the audience. Second, it's ludicrous to suggest that intelligence has anything to do with stripping a man of his paranoia and mental illness. Alfred called Bruce's descent a fever that turns good men cruel. One cannot cure a fever with intelligence. Bruce is blinded by his own trauma, depression, and sense of powerless. He has lost control. But that's why it is powerful to see the means by which he begins to convalesce and regain control. He is confronted with an image of himself becoming his own nightmare, and it opens the door for Bruce to reconnect with his true self. He can see himself and see his world more clearly because his greatest trauma was recreated.

They do this to explore the imperfections of heroes. How heroes can fall, and how they can rise. They do this to show us that heroes are not above PTSD, they are not above having love as a weakness, they are not above despair, they are not above doubt. The title promised only that the conflict between Batman and Superman would be the cause of a dawn of justice. The conflict, therefore, must explore the barriers that stand between heroes coming together to serve a greater good. The film, rightly, explores and exploits the most significant flaws in these iconic characters. For Bruce, his greatest flaw is his cynicism, control, and inability to break free of the trauma of his parents' death. For Clark, his greatest strength, which is his love for humanity, is also his greatest weakness. His need for acceptance and connection as a source of his optimism and hope is challenged.

It's not a dime. It's Bruce seeing himself clearly. It's Bruce seeing how far he has fallen. It's Bruce being confronted with the humanity of a man he refused to see as anything other than an abstraction onto which to project his own sense of powerlessness.

Uninvestigated? The film investigates Superman's sense of belonging and his sense of purpose. He begins by believing that people can see the good in him and will ultimately vindicate him only to see that hope slowly fade as his every attempt to do good and inspire hope in people only seems to breed more fear and more conflict. We see Superman as his alter ego, Clark Kent, pursuing social justice because he recognizes and is intrigued by another hero who is abusing his power. It's heroes like Batman that condition people to believe that someone like Superman cannot be an impeachable source of good. We see that what gives Superman the strength to overcome his hopelessness is to hold onto to the hope that the woman he loves has for him. I am affected just by the idea of a wrongly persecuted man who chooses to sacrifice his life for a world that has chosen to see the worst in him.

They didn't bring him back to life. There was a hint of a promise, but that promise has not yet been fulfilled.

Fantastic post. I think we all understand, to some degree or another, what they were going for with the film, and it either works or doesn't work. I'm sure for the people who dislike the film, it can be very annoying and condescending to be told "you just didn't get it", but it is just as ridiculous to imply to the defenders that they are trying to talk themselves into thinking the film is good, for the love of the characters, or high expectations going into the film. I consider myself an independent thinker, I form my own opinions about a film. I'm critical, fair, and hold the movies that I enjoy to a high standard. And the film totally clicked for me, I'm definitely not imagining it or trying to convince myself that I enjoyed it.

The film works for me, somebody who grew up obsessed with and inspired by and influenced by these characters throughout my entire childhood, because of the themes of how these characters relate to the world we live in today, why these characters are important.

You make a great point about the omniscient view of the audience compared to Bruce's view of Superman. Bruce Wayne didn't see Man Of Steel, all he saw was Black Zero, whatever clips on the news, "The Bat is dead.", promises broken and monsters created (Harvey Dent), tragedy due to Bruce not taking a threat as an absolute certainty (Jason Todd), etc. Bruce sees Superman (not Clark) through a completely different lens than we, the audience. That was the entire point of showing us Black Zero through his perspective, as well as making the direct connection between that event and his parents death, which I thought was pretty great and clever storytelling, personally.

I feel like all the major plot points were making a greater statement about the nature of the world we live in, currently. Every major issue, people are split on, differences in opinion lead to misunderstanding, choosing only to see your side of the argument, getting further entrenched in your own view, getting angry that somebody has a different opinion. People get violent, even kill others people because of their race, or their beliefs. Deaths occur because people have different theories on why and how we exist, or how we should live our lives. Many times, it is because they are being manipulated by someone in order to gain or maintain power and control. These kinds of things escalate beyond logic and reasoning, it becomes an "Us vs them, and we need to win at all costs" mentality, but if one were to step back and recognize some commonality, to come together and focus on the greater issue at hand (Doomsday representing ignorance, hatred, etc).

I felt the movie did a really good job with every scene and character being allegorical for some larger issue that we face as a society. I think it's perfect to use the Superhero genre, our modern day mythology, as a way to hold up a mirror and examine ourselves, I couldn't have asked for any more, that's what our stories should always attempt to do. The Jesus parallels, heavy handed to some, work so well for me because I look at Jesus' story in the same way I view the Superman mythos, stories that are passed down through generations in order to inspire us to be better, I feel that's what these stories did for me as a kid.

Sure, I can recognize some flaws in the storytelling or internal logic, but no more so than the Nolan trilogy, which I also love. I can forgive these things because I recognize how hard it is to tell a Superhero story that is meant to be both an action blockbuster and a serious allegorical film, and how much easier it would be just to tell a simple action blockbuster narrative (not that there's anything wrong with that). I feel some people blow a lot of these things way out of proportion as if it's the stupidest thing or worst writing, I feel it's a bit unfair.

BvS reminds me some of the Sopranos finale, very controversial, left a lot of people feeling empty, or let down from their expectations. I remember feeling just a bit unsatisfied after first viewing of the Sopranos finale, but then after a lot of analysis, discussion, and multiple viewings, I came to think it was absolutely brilliant, one of the greatest things put to film, and would try to debate with friends who thought it sucked. There was a lot there, beneath the surface, multiple layers, if you like looking for those things or making your own interpretations, filling in the missing pieces, basically adding to what is actually seen on film in my head. I feel BvS is the same, you have to fill in a lot of pieces in order to really appreciate the film and what it says to you, personally.

The film says a lot to me. Others, not so much, and I completely respect and am interested in what they have to say for why it didn't work, as long as I feel they are judging the movie on its own, not "what a Superhero movie should be" or "how Superman or Batman should be portrayed" because that's bull crap, the whole point of these characters is to be reimagined and retold in different contexts to examine what these characters mean at their very core. What bothers me the most is reading things like "joyless" "too dark" "too serious" because we need that in the Superhero genre, we need that variety, just like in the Western genre, there's room for so many different kinds of stories.

I get the criticism of the Martha moment, or Batman's reasoning, that some felt those things were forced in order to get from Point A to B to C, to deliver on the Heavyweight title match that is advertised. For me, it was all necessary in order to address the themes of the film in a 2.5 hour time limit, but a lot of people couldnt care less about those certain themes, they just want to watch a Superman and Batman story. Just different opinions on what we're looking for in a movie about these characters. For me, these are exactly the themes and questions I had been wanting addressed in a DC shared universe film for a long time, questions of how do these mythological characters fit into our modern world as opposed to the one they inhabited when they were created, what new challenges does that bring, how do we relate to them, can they still inspire us as they did when we were kids and the world was simple.

Visually, Snyder is a pretty brilliant director for a CBM, imo. It's completely unfair the amount of undeserved crap he gets. The movie is gorgeous, it looks like a comic book, the action is top quality, the character costume designs and actors are about as good as it gets when going from comic book page to big screen (except, I like and accept Eisenburg's take on Lex, but part of me feels like a different actor may have greatly elevated the role.

The symbolism in a lot of the imagery is great and gives me a lot to appreciate and discover on multiple viewings ("What falls is fallen", the pearls falling, Bruce falling into the cave and being lifted into the light, all juxtaposed against the dirt falling on his casket at the end, and ultimately rising in the very last scene, answering the question posed by Bruce in the very first scene, perhaps what falls is not fallen, perhaps there is always hope, and that's what Superman ultimately represents is hope, and I thought it was brilliant to use Bruce Wayne's story as the conduit for that idea of Superman inspiring the best in humanity, even amongst the cynicism, fear, and perceived hopelessness). For me, every moment or character decision feels earned, feels properly set up if you read into the dialogue or scenes preceding it, with the exception of Superman saying "Save Martha" which felt unnatural and forced in order to get to that infamous moment. But I feel that's one of those necessary compromises in order for that scene to play out as it did, because I felt that was a truly emotionally resonant moment for Batman as a character.

Fantastic post. I think we all understand, to some degree or another, what they were going for with the film, and it either works or doesn't work. I'm sure for the people who dislike the film, it can be very annoying and condescending to be told "you just didn't get it", but it is just as ridiculous to imply to the defenders that they are trying to talk themselves into thinking the film is good, for the love of the characters, or high expectations going into the film. I consider myself an independent thinker, I form my own opinions about a film. I'm critical, fair, and hold the movies that I enjoy to a high standard. And the film totally clicked for me, I'm definitely not imagining it or trying to convince myself that I enjoyed it.

The film works for me, somebody who grew up obsessed with and inspired by and influenced by these characters throughout my entire childhood, because of the themes of how these characters relate to the world we live in today, why these characters are important.

You make a great point about the omniscient view of the audience compared to Bruce's view of Superman. Bruce Wayne didn't see Man Of Steel, all he saw was Black Zero, whatever clips on the news, "The Bat is dead.", promises broken and monsters created (Harvey Dent), tragedy due to Bruce not taking a threat as an absolute certainty (Jason Todd), etc. Bruce sees Superman (not Clark) through a completely different lens than we, the audience. That was the entire point of showing us Black Zero through his perspective, as well as making the direct connection between that event and his parents death, which I thought was pretty great and clever storytelling, personally.

I feel like all the major plot points were making a greater statement about the nature of the world we live in, currently. Every major issue, people are split on, differences in opinion lead to misunderstanding, choosing only to see your side of the argument, getting further entrenched in your own view, getting angry that somebody has a different opinion. People get violent, even kill others people because of their race, or their beliefs. Deaths occur because people have different theories on why and how we exist, or how we should live our lives. Many times, it is because they are being manipulated by someone in order to gain or maintain power and control. These kinds of things escalate beyond logic and reasoning, it becomes an "Us vs them, and we need to win at all costs" mentality, but if one were to step back and recognize some commonality, to come together and focus on the greater issue at hand (Doomsday representing ignorance, hatred, etc).

I felt the movie did a really good job with every scene and character being allegorical for some larger issue that we face as a society. I think it's perfect to use the Superhero genre, our modern day mythology, as a way to hold up a mirror and examine ourselves, I couldn't have asked for any more, that's what our stories should always attempt to do. The Jesus parallels, heavy handed to some, work so well for me because I look at Jesus' story in the same way I view the Superman mythos, stories that are passed down through generations in order to inspire us to be better, I feel that's what these stories did for me as a kid.

Sure, I can recognize some flaws in the storytelling or internal logic, but no more so than the Nolan trilogy, which I also love. I can forgive these things because I recognize how hard it is to tell a Superhero story that is meant to be both an action blockbuster and a serious allegorical film, and how much easier it would be just to tell a simple action blockbuster narrative (not that there's anything wrong with that). I feel some people blow a lot of these things way out of proportion as if it's the stupidest thing or worst writing, I feel it's a bit unfair.

BvS reminds me some of the Sopranos finale, very controversial, left a lot of people feeling empty, or let down from their expectations. I remember feeling just a bit unsatisfied after first viewing of the Sopranos finale, but then after a lot of analysis, discussion, and multiple viewings, I came to think it was absolutely brilliant, one of the greatest things put to film, and would try to debate with friends who thought it sucked. There was a lot there, beneath the surface, multiple layers, if you like looking for those things or making your own interpretations, filling in the missing pieces, basically adding to what is actually seen on film in my head. I feel BvS is the same, you have to fill in a lot of pieces in order to really appreciate the film and what it says to you, personally.

The film says a lot to me. Others, not so much, and I completely respect and am interested in what they have to say for why it didn't work, as long as I feel they are judging the movie on its own, not "what a Superhero movie should be" or "how Superman or Batman should be portrayed" because that's bull crap, the whole point of these characters is to be reimagined and retold in different contexts to examine what these characters mean at their very core. What bothers me the most is reading things like "joyless" "too dark" "too serious" because we need that in the Superhero genre, we need that variety, just like in the Western genre, there's room for so many different kinds of stories.

I get the criticism of the Martha moment, or Batman's reasoning, that some felt those things were forced in order to get from Point A to B to C, to deliver on the Heavyweight title match that is advertised. For me, it was all necessary in order to address the themes of the film in a 2.5 hour time limit, but a lot of people couldnt care less about those certain themes, they just want to watch a Superman and Batman story. Just different opinions on what we're looking for in a movie about these characters. For me, these are exactly the themes and questions I had been wanting addressed in a DC shared universe film for a long time, questions of how do these mythological characters fit into our modern world as opposed to the one they inhabited when they were created, what new challenges does that bring, how do we relate to them, can they still inspire us as they did when we were kids and the world was simple.

Visually, Snyder is a pretty brilliant director for a CBM, imo. It's completely unfair the amount of undeserved crap he gets. The movie is gorgeous, it looks like a comic book, the action is top quality, the character costume designs and actors are about as good as it gets when going from comic book page to big screen (except, I like and accept Eisenburg's take on Lex, but part of me feels like a different actor may have greatly elevated the role.

The symbolism in a lot of the imagery is great and gives me a lot to appreciate and discover on multiple viewings ("What falls is fallen", the pearls falling, Bruce falling into the cave and being lifted into the light, all juxtaposed against the dirt falling on his casket at the end, and ultimately rising in the very last scene, answering the question posed by Bruce in the very first scene, perhaps what falls is not fallen, perhaps there is always hope, and that's what Superman ultimately represents is hope, and I thought it was brilliant to use Bruce Wayne's story as the conduit for that idea of Superman inspiring the best in humanity, even amongst the cynicism, fear, and perceived hopelessness). For me, every moment or character decision feels earned, feels properly set up if you read into the dialogue or scenes preceding it, with the exception of Superman saying "Save Martha" which felt unnatural and forced in order to get to that infamous moment. But I feel that's one of those necessary compromises in order for that scene to play out as it did, because I felt that was a truly emotionally resonant moment for Batman as a character.

deadpool-applause.gif

For a movie being to deep that few got it?

For this particular movie. Its a stupid argument anyway give how many other films are practically worshiped because multiple viewings are supposedly required to get everything..

Thank you.

So I was very curious and went back and read your post on page 5 Assassin. Great post. Really great post. The characters were done a grave disservice and I blame greed for this script ever being approved.

I leaps of logic and outright assumptions that have to be made to see any sort of validity of this story is tragic. Makes me appreciate good storytelling.

Agreed. It show difference a good script make. This movie not have one.

giphy.gif

Just to add to this point. There is a point when the film had me going what?!! Let me elaborate,in this film it's established that whenever Lois is in trouble, Superman flies in and saves her. This is a rule and logic set in the film. That's great. I buy it even if I think overall it's a dumb idea but we have to believe it since the film is telling us this is the case. So the woman who raised him since he was a baby, taught him how to hone his senses and powers gets kidnapped and he hears nothing? His own mother? He hears nothing but god forbid he hears Lois. He saves her three ****ing times in this movie whenever she was in danger. (I was hoping she'd drown at the end when she went to retrieve the spear she threw in the first place) So Lex had to kidnap Lois ( For some reason Superman doesn't hear it) so that he can push her off a building to get Supermans attention so that he can tell him he has kidnapped his mother. The film is now bending its own set of rules and logic to make the V in the title happen instead of making it flow organically. As a result the conflict is forced and superficial and just plan dumb right down to its core. It's poor and lazy storytelling. But otherwise great post man. Hit the nail on the head.
giphy.gif

On this point, in Man of Steel we clearly see Superman is able to hear Martha from miles away as Zod attacked her. Superman literally stops from kissing Lois to go save his mother.

Its moments like this that take me out of the film. Establishing that Superman can hear and save his loved ones from almost anywhere sets a precedent and thus it makes it all feel contrived when Superman somehow doesn't pick up on it or the film just ignores it later on. Its even stranger that Martha wouldn't think to call out to her son with super hearing.

Its also odd that Lex who is supposed to be the smartest person in the film wouldn't think about this possibility that Superman might hear his mother calling for him. So nothing is done to prevent her from calling out to him. The writers seem to assume the audience is dumb and will just ignore these details cause hey look how cool it is when Batman hits Superman in the head with a kitchen sink.

I hope those who praise the symbolism in BvS also praise other films that are rich with symbolism like AoU and Mad Max.

Last edited:
On this point, in Man of Steel we clearly see Superman is able to hear Martha from miles away as Zod attacked her. Superman literally stops from kissing Lois to go save his mother.

Its moments like this that take me out of the film. Establishing that Superman can hear and save his loved ones from almost anywhere sets a precedent and thus it makes it all feel contrived when Superman somehow doesn't pick up on it or the film just ignores it later on. Its even stranger that Martha wouldn't think to call out to her son with super hearing.

Its also odd that Lex who is supposed to be the smartest person in the film wouldn't think about this possibility that Superman might hear his mother calling for him. So nothing is done to prevent her from calling out to him. The writers seem to assume the audience is dumb and will just ignore these details cause hey look how cool it is when Batman hits Superman in the head with a kitchen sink.

I hope those who praise the symbolism in BvS also praise other films that are rich with symbolism like AoU and Mad Max.

I forget about the super hearing part. That make it more stupid lol.

BvS, for me, is one of those films that I really liked one moment, then outright disliked the next.
Hated the Lex scenes, loved the Batman scenes, Didn't care for the stand offish Superman, but loved his Clark.

BvS TC for me was like finally getting to go out with the hot chic only to discover that you have nothing in common with her, but she's still hot so you can't tear yourself away..
The UC was better ( for me ). It would have made less at the BO because of runtime but, imo, been better received.

The Knightmare scene is still one of the worst things about the movie and should've been completely removed. They needed to put something akin to the Arkham Asylum scene at the front of the movie instead of at the very end.

Just one of the many poor editing choices. If a scene like that is closer to the beginning, I'm sure more of the audience would've been along for the ride instead of getting beaten down for two hours just to get to an actual fight. Instead of that odd, awkwardly choreographed shootout with Batman shooting machine guns badly and using bad martial arts.

You know what that scene reminded me of? In Watchmen, where they have Rorschach using his kung-fu to try and escape the police. When I was watching it, I was like, "Why is Rorschach using kung fu and doing it so badly?" It was sort of my problem with Watchmen in that Snyder was artificially padding the movie with action and hand-to-hand martial arts to make it more action-packed. The weird fighting and choreography from that scene in Watchmen looked a lot like the fighting in the Knightmare scene.

The kidnapping just doesn't make any sense. Just her being kidnapped at all doesn't work for these reasons. Clearly with Superman's shown abilities he should have known his mother was being kidnapped and saved her before anything happened. His mother should have called out and again he should have saved her. Or at least they should have knocked her out before she could realize anything was strange.

But the rescue itself makes as little sense. Why is Superman going to face Batman? He's clearly not intending to fight him at the start. Why does he want or need his help? Because Batman is the "World's Greatest Detective"? I doubt Superman knows that, he didn't even know who Bruce Wayne was. Even if he did, it's unnecessary. Superman can fly around every city in the immediate area in quick order and scan (along with listen!) for his mother. Find her in no time and problem solved.

It's not just a stretch that Batman and Superman should end up fighting...it makes no sense how this situation ever developed.

The kidnapping just doesn't make any sense. Just her being kidnapped at all doesn't work for these reasons. Clearly with Superman's shown abilities he should have known his mother was being kidnapped and saved her before anything happened. His mother should have called out and again he should have saved her. Or at least they should have knocked her out before she could realize anything was strange.

But the rescue itself makes as little sense. Why is Superman going to face Batman? He's clearly not intending to fight him at the start. Why does he want or need his help? Because Batman is the "World's Greatest Detective"? I doubt Superman knows that, he didn't even know who Bruce Wayne was. Even if he did, it's unnecessary. Superman can fly around every city in the immediate area in quick order and scan (along with listen!) for his mother. Find her in no time and problem solved.

It's not just a stretch that Batman and Superman should end up fighting...it makes no sense how this situation ever developed.

Martha calling out wouldn't have made a difference. Superman has to focus his superhearing in order to use it. His mother was even the one who taught him that. Remember? "Listen to my voice. Pretend it's an island..." Superman is able to hear Lois in Africa and hear his mother when Zod attacked the farm because he was already primed to be on alert.

Superman seeks out Batman's help because Lex told Superman that if Superman flies toward Martha, then she dies. If Superman can recruit Batman to save his mother for him, then he does not have to worry about being the reason Lex's goons take her out. Superman cannot be seen to be doing anything other than fighting Batman or his mother dies. That's why he tries to find a third way that involves using Batman as his surrogate hero.

The Knightmare scene is still one of the worst things about the movie and should've been completely removed. They needed to put something akin to the Arkham Asylum scene at the front of the movie instead of at the very end.

Just one of the many poor editing choices. If a scene like that is closer to the beginning, I'm sure more of the audience would've been along for the ride instead of getting beaten down for two hours just to get to an actual fight. Instead of that odd, awkwardly choreographed shootout with Batman shooting machine guns badly and using bad martial arts.

You know what that scene reminded me of? In Watchmen, where they have Rorschach using his kung-fu to try and escape the police. When I was watching it, I was like, "Why is Rorschach using kung fu and doing it so badly?" It was sort of my problem with Watchmen in that Snyder was artificially padding the movie with action and hand-to-hand martial arts to make it more action-packed. The weird fighting and choreography from that scene in Watchmen looked a lot like the fighting in the Knightmare scene.

Agreed knightmare scene should be cut from movie.

Agreed.

Martha calling out wouldn't have made a difference. Superman has to focus his superhearing in order to use it. His mother was even the one who taught him that. Remember? "Listen to my voice. Pretend it's an island..." Superman is able to hear Lois in Africa and hear his mother when Zod attacked the farm because he was already primed to be on alert.

so you are saying Superman focused his superhearing just when Lois got pushed off the building but didn't when Lois or Martha got kidnapped.

Superman seeks out Batman's help because Lex told Superman that if Superman flies toward Martha, then she dies. If Superman can recruit Batman to save his mother for him, then he does not have to worry about being the reason Lex's goons take her out. Superman cannot be seen to be doing anything other than fighting Batman or his mother dies. That's why he tries to find a third way that involves using Batman as his surrogate hero.

Wait so Superman focuses his hearing to save people... Yet he didn't when Jimmy Olsen got shot in the head and all those bodies were burnt when Lois was initially kidnapped, or when his mom was initially kidnapped, or when Lois was kidnapped for a second time.... That's all might convenient.

And wait, when did Lex say that Superman cannot be seen doing anything other than fighting Batman or his mother dies? Please let me know, I'm almost positive you're wrong here and if you are it further serves as an example of how dumb this movie and it's characters are.

My assumption was that Superman wouldn't have been able to hear Martha get kidnapped because she was out of range. When he rescues Lois the first time, I assumed he was already in Africa prior to Lois getting picked up, and he was keeping an ear out for her. When he saves her from being pushed off the building, I assume he had returned to Metropolis around the same time and was already in the air above Metropolis, but he wasn't there when she was initially kidnapped. He couldn't hear Martha getting kidnapped in Smallville because he wasn't close enough. He could hear Lois pounding on the concrete because he stopped for a moment and the surrounding area, aside from what was happening with Doomsday, was relatively quiet. Could he hear his mother in Smallville while he is in Metropolis? Maybe if he really focused on nothing but that. But in general, his hearing is limited to a certain radius, but he is usually tuned in to Lois, because he knows she has a dangerous job and constantly worries about her, whereas he feels his mother is safe in Smallville.

But, Idk. It's definitely fair to chalk all that up to convenient writing for the sake of moving the story where they want it to go, much like many of Joker's schemes working out so perfectly in Dark Knight. But, I prefer just to reason it out with my imagination, just because it allows me to enjoy the film more, like to say Bruce Wayne has a contact that he made during his years training abroad, and that's how he was able to arrange a flight back to Gotham when he escaped the Pit. It makes it more believable, and therefore, more enjoyable for me to think about it like there are things happening between the scenes, that we don't need to be shown or told about, and that's one thing I like about BvS, it feels like things are happening between the scenes and leaves you to fill in the blanks, like The Sopranos. At least that's how I feel about it, it doesn't feel the need to have to tell us everything, which makes it feel more real and organic to me.

One issue I have that I think could have been fixed, was how Batman saved Martha in the same time that it took Superman to fly to the ship. I think they could have shown that he was still too weakened by the Kryptonite to fly, him struggling to get to his feet and falling to the ground, that he had to allow some time for the effects to wear off. That would explain why it had to be Batman, why Superman had to trust Batman to save Martha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"