The Dark Knight What will Nolan's biggest challenge will be in TDK?

I think there's a lot of pressure on this thing.

WB wants more box office to be sure.

Ledger has to help Bale. His performance has to be spot on. Bale can't do it by himself. It's not right to put it all on Bale.

But Ledger has to be careful not to overshadow Bale. That's where Nolan comes in.

Nolan needs the right amount of Joker, but not too much...or it's Batman 89' all over again.

Trying to meet the fans expectations: this is still Nolan's personal version of Batman and it isn't going to morph into the comicbook or BTAS...unfortunately. :woot:

Trying to meet WB expectations ($$$$): I would imagine WB wants TDK to reach mega-blockbuster status, seeing as the first film didn't exactly set the world on fire box office wise. Yes it did very well considering it's purpose was to repair the franchise. But like Supes Return, it didn't do the numbers many have come to expect from a marquis character like Batman.
Factor in the crowded 08 summer movie season and the competition....

As some one else said; trying to balance the fantasy with his realistic angle. This is probably the biggest challenge. Like the first film there will come a point in the story where Nolan will have to abandon his reality angle and go with the fantasy aspect of the character(s). How far can he and will he go without betraying his intention of doing a realistic Batman film? Joker, Two-Face, (Riddler) and Batman himself are very fantasy heavy characters. How can Nolan do these characters true justice without reining them in to much?

Trying to meet the fans expectations: this is still Nolan's personal version of Batman and it isn't going to morph into the comicbook or BTAS...unfortunately. :woot:

Trying to meet WB expectations ($$$$): I would imagine WB wants TDK to reach mega-blockbuster status, seeing as the first film didn't exactly set the world on fire box office wise. Yes it did very well considering it's purpose was to repair the franchise. But like Supes Return, it didn't do the numbers many have come to expect from a marquis character like Batman.
Factor in the crowded 08 summer movie season and the competition....

As some one else said; trying to balance the fantasy with his realistic angle. This is probably the biggest challenge. Like the first film there will come a point in the story where Nolan will have to abandon his reality angle and go with the fantasy aspect of the character(s). How far can he and will he go without betraying his intention of doing a realistic Batman film? Joker, Two-Face, (Riddler) and Batman himself are very fantasy heavy characters. How can Nolan do these characters true justice without reining them in to much?

The reason Nolan is choosing the characters he is has at least something to do with the fact that their stories aren't incredibly far fetched. They're either straight-up bad or psychologically conflicted men. Some of the more fantastical aspects of their characters are toned down (we never hear about the Lazarus pits of Ra's Al Ghul and we still aren't sure about Joker's chemical bath). The Riddler isn't much more than a neurotic genius. Two-Face has Disassociative (sp?) Personality Disorder and he's a man in considerable political power.

I don't really mind Nolan skirting the fantastical with any of these movies, as long as he's only skirting it. It really begs the question though, of just what villains these movies can use before the reality starts to degenerate.

Balancing Joker, Batman's growth, Harvey Dent's downfall. And o yeah Scarecrow...

Time contraints, trying not stuff too much into this film? thats wut i voted.

Convoluted plot. He has too make sure that everyone circulating the plot has enough screentime to convince us that they've had there respective part. I have a lot of faith in Nolan to make a good film, but there is always doubt. No matter how good a filmmaker may be. Nolan is a great filmmaker, he isn't a Spielberg yet.

The reason Nolan is choosing the characters he is has at least something to do with the fact that their stories aren't incredibly far fetched. They're either straight-up bad or psychologically conflicted men. Some of the more fantastical aspects of their characters are toned down (we never hear about the Lazarus pits of Ra's Al Ghul and we still aren't sure about Joker's chemical bath). The Riddler isn't much more than a neurotic genius. Two-Face has Disassociative (sp?) Personality Disorder and he's a man in considerable political power.

I don't really mind Nolan skirting the fantastical with any of these movies, as long as he's only skirting it. It really begs the question though, of just what villains these movies can use before the reality starts to degenerate.

The writers are the ones who create the reality. Yea I can see how Nolan tried to make begins more realistic with the prototypes and all, but let's look at "REALITY!" for a second. A man dressed up as a bat catches criminals, a fear toxin makes you see things that aren't there and play on everyone's different personal fears, a league of assassins that have been around since Roman times. Does that all sound real to you? Look whatever the writers wanna do in this movie can be done with whatever characeter they choose to do it with. Hence for future movies I wouldn't count anyone out (maybe crazy quilt man).
But anyway in my opinion Nolan's challenges are comprised of a number of things but I think his biggest challenge will be the Joker story. My reasoning is that the Joker is an iconic villain which many other villains have been based off of i.e. carnage comes to mind. To do his story right on screen is not only difficult but to focus too much on it also takes away from the other characters in the movie i.e. Batman 89 which should have been called The Joker because Micheal Keaton was so over-shadowed in that cheese-fest of a movie.

Killing rachel and trying to make it a shock.:o

'It's benign, Batman.'
'Of course it is. I'm the goddamn Batman. I'm more malignant than amy tumour known to man.'

The twist is, Rachel gave him a "growth" and he kills her and Nolan has to make it look like an "accident"

The twist is, Rachel gave him a "growth" and he kills her and Nolan has to make it look like an "accident"
You know, there are effective treatments for that type of thing these days. Someone should have told him before he wreaked horrible, bloody vengeance.

My only real worry at this point...if this is the Beginning for batman in Nolan's vision...bruce is young, allies and villains are young...is he going to end it at 3 movies (the ongoing trend in comic book movies). These villains...have tormented gotham for years, you can't tell an origin and end it the very same movie...or the sequel even. I suppose it worked for Doc Ock in Spidey 2, but I can't say that I wanted him to be killed off. X-men trilogy...Magneto is a threat in every movie...it was a great move not to kill him off either...showing him powerless in the end of X3 was a great ending for him. I would just prefer that Nolan realizes this isn't the "adventures of young Bruce Wayne"...its the beginnings...of both the hero and villains...so to end some of it now, so close together...would seem unwise.

His biggest challenge so far has been finding a change of clothes.

Nolan is like Jeff Goldbloom in the Fly he has 10 pairs of the same clothing

Nolans biggest challenge will making great action in this film that is 10 times better than BB

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"