What would you change about the movie?

Lose the love story, could learn a lot from the Blade series on how to do a dark, gritty comic movie with out the love story.
Make the villians tougher.
More Rider, less Blaze.

I personally liked the movie. I plan on putting my review of it up on the news website I work for , USAVoice.org. Although I did like the movie, I wasn't overly impressed with the thing nor was I disappointed with it as well. The things I would change is as follows...

Had a different actress play roxanne. Now, I know this is everyone top 3 things they would change, but she did decent with the script she was given. Which leads into my second item...

Totally different approach to the script and directing. MSJ proved with Daredevil that he is just a letter grade above such directors as Uwe Boll and Paul W.S. Anderson, and that's not really a good thing. This movie wasn't that much better than Daredevil. When you have such films as X-men and Spider-Man and Batman Begins that have very well done story telling and dialogue, it's tough to sit through a cheesy and campy film based on a cult/beloved comic character...and I'm a fan so I am speaking as a fan of the Dan Ketch version. Punisher had it's fair share of camp and terrible dialogue, but it was a good movie because it was typically true to a cheesy yet brutal story in Welcome Back, Frank. GR was never really campy but rather really dark and with huge undertones to the occult and demonic. This script did a poor job of pretty much everything other than showing that GR is a bounty hunter for the wicked and evil, nothing more and nothing less.

The third thing would have been to show Mephisto and Blackheart in their true demon form. In the final showdown between Blackheart and GR, you kind of get a glimpse of what BH would look like, but not a good one. I understand the budget went into GR's look mainly, but come on...you could have spared some money for BH and Mephisto.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

• Recast of Johnny Blaze, Roxanne and Blackheart
  • Make it more serious and dark. No ******ed, monkey loving, jelly beans eating Blaze.
  • Good dialogue
  • Change the 1000 soul plot. Wow, so he consumed 1000 souls... that's like... not a lot
  • Give us villains that are not below Buffy standard and actually bother to put up a fight
  • Blackheart in is true form

I'd have gone for a hard R rating and told a truly frightening story worthy of the Ghost Rider. Everyone who's indicated that jelly beans and Karen Carpenter are stupid and that they could've learned a LOT by re-watching Blade before making this movie is 100% correct.

Give Sam Elliot's Ghost rider a real back story, a real place in the film and the first twenty minutes of the movie. Then, move to modern day with Johnny already as Ghost Rider. Give him flashbacks as to his origin. This would eliminate the poor writing and execution of the initial character development and lack of emotion surrounding the cancer and death of his father. Eliminate those lame elemental demons and use the budget for a better grand finale fight sequence. If you want to keep the truck crashing in to GR then have a mentally controlled mortal driving and dying in the impact. It's more vicious and it saves CGI cash. Mortal henchmen are cheaper and would be just as useless as those lame elementals.

These are just top of the head corrections. Producers and MSJ should be chastised for not having made better script corrections in pre-production. Once this thing got to the shooting script, it was all over because MSJ isn't savvy enough to correct even poor dialogue or lack of common sense scenes on his own.
''

Speaking of Sam Elliot am I the only one who thought the flaming horse an he were COOLER then GR an the hellcycle (which was also pretty damn cool)?

Alrighty, this is a warning im typing here after i wrote this post cause im tired and outraged over this movie and i havent posted on superherohype before and i finally get to now n i know a lot of other ppl have said the same things ive said below with like how the movie stunk whether its from comic fan or reg person stand point but i just had to say something yknow, and ive read a lot of the other posts by ppl that liked the movie and most of you rele dont have any good arguments when discussing why ya liked it i mean if ya liked it ya liked it whatever but to say its a good movie is just well WOW hah i mean i like a lot of movies that i know arent good for whatever reasons depending on what kind of movie it is if its a comedy or drama or action etc. but you guys just dont have any good responses to the ppl that say how this movie as a movie regardless of it being a comic adaption stunk and also even though im new to posting n only been reading the threads on here for bout a week or so im not some dumb kid that doesnt know what hes talking about even though ya prob think so from the way i type, and i apologize for not using correct grammar when i type but i rele dont care about it cause its only a forum its not like i type or write or even talk like this when its important like for school or work or whatever ya know so if anyone cares to point out my lack of correct grammar you can save it for yerself cause i dont think anyone else in the world would care so yea ive ranted all i rele have to rant about and id like to thank all the other ppl on here that didnt like the movie for the same reasons i didnt cause it shows to myself im not the only one and im glad you all posted your thoughts and views about the movie before i did so when everyone reads what i said wont be all WHAT about it cause its basically the same as a lot of others had to say just in poor grammar and yep thats all - so when ya read this enjoy,get mad, do whatever

seriously, this movie bit big sweatly balls. im a fan of ghost rider comics, mainly the 90s ketch/kale ghost rider, and i was very disappointed that this movie blew. my reasons for this movie blowing isnt even mainly from a ghost rider or comic book fan stand point, its from a regular movie goer point of view. and my reasons from a reg movie goer is that 1.) when some scenes ended and the next scene began it felt as if i had fallen asleep before the last scene ended and woke up in the middle of the next one. i dont know if its cause they edited out a lot of scenes or parts of scenes to death or if its just cause msj cant direct, either way its cause of msj. i bet he was thinking "HEY! i dont have to worry so much with making ghost rider cause theres always the directors cut dvd right! i mean everyone didnt like the theatrical daredevil movie,BUT HEY, they loved my directors cut dvd RIGHT!so if ghost rider turns out lame, well thank god for dvds." 2.) the dialogue for every character was lame as hell excpet maybe the lesser characters like mack, none of his dialogue bothered me but his character isnt important in the big picture where as blaze,ghost rider,mephisto,roxanne,blackheart and his lackeys' dialogue all were horrible. i forgot who here or in some other thread said it but they said something like the dialogue sounding like it was from a saturday morning cartoon and hes right. actually ive heard better dialogue in some saturday morning cartoons than in ghost rider.3.)and also the horrible plot to the movie. why are these 1000 or however many damned or evil souls so important, i mean cmon, 1000 souls is nothing n ffrom the ppl of some stupid nowhere village in texas? and the whole friggn scene with blackheart taking in the souls THAT WAS SO STOLEN FROM BLADE WITH DEACON FROST TAKING IN THE PURE BLOOD SOULS GODDAMN WHAT A RIPOFF THAT WAS I MEAN SERIOUSLY EVERY BIT OF THAT WAS FROM BLADE, THE SOULS FLYING INTO AND THRU HIM AND HIM GOIN FROM LIKE HAPPY ABOUT IT TO TERRIFIRED AND THEN WITH HIS EYES TURNING RED GOD IF YA HAVENT SEEN THE FIRST BLADE MOVIE GO N SEE IT HELL PROB CAN FIND IT ON YOUTUBE OR WHATEVER WATCH IT AND YOULL SEE man. and black heart sayin the line from the bible or whatever of the WE ARE LEGION FOR WE ARE MANY the hell so does that mean in the ghost rider movie universe that in there bible that part with jesus and the guy possed by the demon legion no exist? i mean cmon and whats with all these plot holes like with john blaze being able to turn into ghost rider so fast n easy after only a couple of times he changed and then theres the him being turned at night but at the end when he was in the shadows he could turn into ghost rider or whhen he put his hand in the shadows it was ghost riders hand GOD i guess MSJ was watching a lot of the first pirates of the caribean eh? man n the overly campyness i mean alright jokes are fun here n there but thru out the whole movie? cmon i mean i dont rele care that it was ratedR i dont think it needs to be rated R to be like "true" to the comics but still it could have dont alot better without so much camp crap and def make it darker n def what is up with the sucker soul deal where he doesnt sign it on his own what a joke and whats with there being no dates on any of the tombstones
like johns dad's i mean i dont remember exactly if they had in the beginning of the movie at the carnival if they showed like the date like the year or whatever but they def didnt have any on the tombstones not any i can remember seeing i mean was it so ppl wouldnt be like hey if his dad dies that year then that makes john blaze this many years old n roxane that many years old i mean when i heard cage was ghost rider i was a lil uneased not cause i dont think hes a good actor i like his movies its that hes too old for it n esp when i found out mendes was his childhood or teenage or whatever girlfriend cause its def obv that there is a big age gap betw cage n mendes BUT even with that n all the other fears and doubts of this movie being made such as the director being the guy that did daredevil and it to me not having been a good movie, i still hoped n figured itd be good cause the effects actually looked good ghost rider himself looked good n cage is a good actor n reading on here how the daredevil directors cut dvd was way better than the theatrical version n all that but no,NO NO NO NO NO, this movie was horrible and its not cause of the little things of it being overly campy and age diff betw cage n mendes n other stuff but just as a movie. even if ghost rider is a campy jokey kind of comic it doesnt change the fact that as a movie this movie blew - the directing the dialogue the lame villain lackeys the "fight" scenes i honestly dont think there was any actual fighting going on in this flick
now my probs as a fan. i can understand cage wanting to make blaze his own a little but seriously, the whole jelly bean thing from a MARTINI glass cmon, thats so ridiculously lame. i can handle the carpenters and the love of tv and monkeys n what not but cmon did he rele have to be so lame. and then theres ghost rider himself. i woulda actually preferred if he didnt speak at all i mean cmon him whistling and crappy one liners and flipping off the cops GOD shoot me please, if ghost rider was actually real id kill myself over this movie so hed go to msj n straighten him out ah man this movie blew

When I saw this block of text I had a seizure.

....so now I'm going to go to bed and wait for my left arm to regain feeling.

Using the same basic story, here's what id' change.

1. Recast Blackheart and make him seem evil, not like a hot topic employee
2. Hard R rating for the film.
3. Make 'The Hidden' a bit of a challenge for Ghost Rider, i mean...at least a little.
4. Include Caretaker's Ghost Rider in the final confrontation with Blackheart and have him killed, shows how badass Blackheart really is, and gives Caretaker a more visceral redemption.
5. Change some of the lamer dialogue
6. You need lips to whistle, so take that part out.
7. Make the jailbreak scene a freakin bloodbath, there was a lot of evil there for him to avenge.
8. Give Peter Fonda a little more to do, 90% of his preformance rocked.
9. Lose the lame Goth Chick
10. Better CG for 'The Hidden'
:confused:
Seriously?

Don't you also need a tongue, lips, and vocal cords to talk?

Or how about muscles, ligaments, and tendons just to move.

HAHAHA, yea sorry about that big mess i typed in here. my friend, who considers himsel a "seasoned" forum guy, said im probaly going to get kicked out of here or my posts deleted because of my horrible online typing. so yea well if that happens, whatever. sh-- happens.

You wont get kicked out of here for either of those things, so no worries.

Also, welcome to the hype!

Up until tonight, I would have taken out the papercut trick and simply had Johnny sell his soul to save his father, as in the comic. It'd have been more emotional and made the whole 'Oh God I made a terrible mistake' issue stronger. But after thinking about it more, the papercut trick makes sense to me.

After all, in this movie version of Ghost Rider, the Rider is the Devil's bounty hunter. Mephistopheles chooses one guy in a generation to be his main man on Earth. He knows Johnny is, or will become, the best rider in the world, so he can't take the chance that Johnny might tell him to stick the contract up his arse. So, as soon as Johnny takes it, bingo, cheers matey.

Of course that still doesn't explain why he seemingly offs his Dad the next day. Maybe he was just being an evil git.

:ninja:

well yea, thats the deal with the whole making deals with devil. ya wind up getting something taken away.

in the movie, theres the whole thing about how the devil has a bounty hunter for every generation. so how come theres only JB and slade? less there are other GRs and they just havent gone into that yet and are saving that for the many sequels theyre gunnah make, yea im being sarcastic cause i rele doubt theyll make any sequels or even have enough sense to delve into the whole there being other GRs thing. but anyway, what exactly is a generation. i know that a grandfather, father, and son are 3 generations. but that doesnt concern an amount of time.

Some of the diologue would be taken out. Some or Rider's lines while a bit cheesy, were still cool ("Sorry. All out of mercy."), there were some wierd/stinkers ("Very nice." The "Nice jacket" was already pushing it).

The Hidden would have either been taken out completely or made tougher.

I wouldn't have Blaze figuring out how to control the power so early. If anything, he should gain it at the final fight scene with Blackheart.

I'd add more western influences. Hell, except for the prologue and bits and pieces in the final act, there's not a lot. For example, just before the fight scene with Blackheart, I'd have the two facing off, music blaring, extreme close-ups to their eyes, Sergio Leone style.

Also I'd have Caretaker have a bigger part in the end. While the two Riders going to the place was badass, I think it would have made a better redemption if he helped Blaze take out Blackheart in the end.

Other then that, there's not much to really improve, I think.

Thinking about some of the bad dialogue, has anyone got MSJ's screenplay? I was wondering if any of the lines were changed during and after the shoot.

Didn't someone say that GR's line when he lassoed the helicopter was "Leave me alone!" rather than "You're pissing me off!"

It'd be interesting to compare what was written to what ended up on screen.

MM, if anyone has it I bet you do.

:yay:

In the clip online that was released a couple weeks before the film, they edited it to make him say "Stop following me!" and you can tell it didn't match up with his mouth at all.

Probably give him some actual challenge in the fight department instead of having instant kills.

In the clip online that was released a couple weeks before the film, they edited it to make him say "Stop following me!" and you can tell it didn't match up with his mouth at all.

"Stop following me!" was far more GR than "You're pissing me off!" Wish they'd have stuck with it.

:csad:

Other than the look of Ghost Rider, everything else should have been changed. So I would change all of these things -

Better & serious story, better time and money management, better action (use more of Ghost Rider's abilities, the chain, the bike, his durability, all those powers he has, use them in unique ways!), less cheesy humor, less cheesy & cliche love story , better yet no love story at all - just a good non-predictable and suspenseful story, more action, more violence.

-Include an actual fight scene in the movie.

-Put in the actual Blackheart, and not some emo punk.

-Better dialogue.

One small line of dialogue i would have liked to have changed in the movie was the one were Blackheart and Mephisto are talking outside the bar (in the extended version).

Blackheart says "....the power of hellfire wasted on a pathetic human......"

I would have loved if he had said either one of these instead:

".....the power of Zarathos wasted on a pathetic human....."

or

".....the spirit of vengeance wasted on a pathetic human....."

Since there’s a lot of dialogue that hurt my ears, here’s what I’d change or delete.

Delete

“The thing about legends is, sometimes they’re true.” (I feel the prologue would end better on “He outran the Devil himself.”)
The flashback of Johnny’s Dad when he’s looking at the helicopters (unnecessary).
“Hey, Dirtbag!” (horrid)
“Very nice.” (too much)
GR whistling for the bike (dumb)
GR getting his jaw knocked screwy by the cop and that looooong finger wag (goofy)
“Yee-ha!” (awful)
“C’mere.” (Mortal Kombat)
“Time to clear the air.” (cheesy)
“Surprise!” (silly)
That comedy eyebrow raise at the very end (camp)

Change

“You’re going down!” to “Return to Hell!”
“Sorry, all out of mercy,” to “No mercy for you.”
“I feel much better now that I know I’m the Devil’s bounty hunter,” to, “I feel much better knowing I’m the Devil’s bounty hunter.” (the original line rolled smoother)
“You’re pissing me off!” to “Leave! Now!”
“We are Legion, for we are many,” to “Your time is over, father. And you, Rider, you're mine.”
I’d also have a real teary goodbye between Johnny and Eva at the end. You’d think they’d a little upset about parting. But, I guess the studio wanted an upbeat ending.

Add

“You’ve come to start the war?”
“I’ve come to win the war.”

I always liked that little exchange. It very economically illustrates Blackheart’s ambition and what’s at stake. Shame it was cut.

There were a few lines i would change as well, like the one i posted above, and i do like some of you suggesting Nick, but not all.

One i would have changed is

"He sent you to bring me back, i'm not going back....I LIKE IT HERE....."

I hate that line, and definately would have changed it to something like this:

"He sent you to bring me back.....theres no point in going back......earth will soon resemble the pits of hell!"

Since there’s a lot of dialogue that hurt my ears, here’s what I’d change or delete.

Delete

“The thing about legends is, sometimes they’re true.” (I feel the prologue would end better on “He outran the Devil himself.”)
The flashback of Johnny’s Dad when he’s looking at the helicopters (unnecessary).
“Hey, Dirtbag!” (horrid)
“Very nice.” (too much)
GR whistling for the bike (dumb)
GR getting his jaw knocked screwy by the cop and that looooong finger wag (goofy)
“Yee-ha!” (awful)
“C’mere.” (Mortal Kombat)
“Time to clear the air.” (cheesy)
“Surprise!” (silly)
That comedy eyebrow raise at the very end (camp)

Change

“You’re going down!” to “Return to Hell!”
“Sorry, all out of mercy,” to “No mercy for you.”
“I feel much better now that I know I’m the Devil’s bounty hunter,” to, “I feel much better knowing I’m the Devil’s bounty hunter.” (the original line rolled smoother)
“You’re pissing me off!” to “Leave! Now!”
“We are Legion, for we are many,” to “Your time is over, father. And you, Rider, you're mine.”
I’d also have a real teary goodbye between Johnny and Eva at the end. You’d think they’d a little upset about parting. But, I guess the studio wanted an upbeat ending.

Add

“You’ve come to start the war?”
“I’ve come to win the war.”

I always liked that little exchange. It very economically illustrates Blackheart’s ambition and what’s at stake. Shame it was cut.

Hey, thats pretty good :up:
Everything you pointed out I agree with (except the flashback of his dad, I liked that, I thought it was appropriate).
Why couldn't they see what your saying? hell, they're gettin paid

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"