The Dark Knight What's up with the stupid goons?

I think if he had his writers make a gritty dialogue script, they would turn off a lot of casual movie goers.

I suspect he probably wanted to, but was prodded into making certain decisions by ninjas

No, I just love Nolans films, besides his Batman films. I wish he'd apply more of his usual sensibility to a Batman film rather than doing this weird realism/comic book cheese mix. Something more independent and smart

Like the Prestige? :woot:

Nolan's sensibilities are illusions. His realism is centered around making you feel like you are in a real word. His stories, dialogue and ideas are out of this world. Memento is another example.

I suspect he probably wanted to, but was prodded into making certain decisions by ninjas

Maybe. Perhaps he thinks his usual stuff isn't mainstream enough so he had to compromise with crowd pleasing moments, but I think he can do a better job of smart and entertaining

My guess is, basd on the rate Joker goes through goons in the prologue, and that he was looking for "potentials" in us through viral marketing, that there are goona be a lot of goons wearing the same masks. In a way, it makes sense.

Serial killers try to de-personalize their victims one way or another. If all Joker sees is masks, it's easier to kill them.

Not that I'd think Joker wouldn't hesitate to blow my head off, mask or not.

My guess is, basd on the rate Joker goes through goons in the prologue, and that he was looking for "potentials" in us through viral marketing, that there are goona be a lot of goons wearing the same masks. In a way, it makes sense.

Serial killers try to de-personalize their victims one way or another. If all Joker sees is masks, it's easier to kill them.

Not that I'd think Joker wouldn't hesitate to blow my head off, mask or not.

More like safety. Goons get ideas after awhile.

correct me if im wrong but i've just noticed that more people died in those 7 minutes than the entire batman begins film

I do love how they're completely oblivious and he seemingly goes through a neverending supply of greedy goons, it's an improvement on B89. There's plenty of smart ideas, I just dislike the way they're brought across through the characters

I do love how they're completely oblivious and he seemingly goes through a neverending supply of greedy goons, it's an improvement on B89. There's plenty of smart ideas, I just dislike the way they're brought across through the characters

Like? I think it mirrored the scene in Begins nicely.

Like? I think it mirrored the scene in Begins nicely.

Batman's in the room and they're having a conversation about how scary he is? Can't they just concentrate on being scared and shooting him? I love the theatrical comparison between the 2 characters, the film just spells out its ideas too simply, on repeat viewings there's not much left to enjoy

When I watched the prologue I noticed some unusua behaviour with the goons.

They seemed to feel threatened by The Joker and thus everything he says, they do.

Am I wrong?

Batman's in the room and they're having a conversation about how scary he is? Can't they just concentrate on being scared and shooting him? I love the theatrical comparison between the 2 characters, the film just spells out its ideas too simply, on repeat viewings there's not much left to enjoy

I see what you are saying, but to much subtext in film can be bad. I like the comic book quality of a scene like that. Plays into the legend of the characters.

At least they weren't walking around saying things like "Bane," or "Bomb." That's when I say "What's up with stupid goons."

I see what you are saying, but to much subtext in film can be bad. I like the comic book quality of a scene like that. Plays into the legend of the characters.

Yea, I love the idea behind it and it's not that bad by itself, but when it happens throughout the film with all the monologueing and whatnot it spoils it for me. The trouble is I don't think the film has a subtext :yay:

I can see the change of writer isn't going to bring me my one wish with this film, so I'll just have to let it go. I'm sure Jonah still has a way more ideas up his sleeve than Goyer brought to the table, I'm glad the reaction of the city to Batman and Joker is in the hands of someone more capable, even if I don't like the style they're going for

Goes to show you can't please everyone.

The same people who complain that Nolan's style is too realistic would probably also complain that the dialogue here is too comic booky.

As long as its confined to one dimensional goons, I like it. It quickly establishes that Joker doesn't play by ANY rules, not even that of criminals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"