Which Cast is Better?

Trank's cast since it doesn't have Jessica Alba.

Alba was far from the worst problem with those movies. Writing, editing....back to writing and back to editing.

Gruffud and Alba were bad. I don't think better writing would have saved them, really. Evans and Chiklis I think could have saved that cast with better material. I actually liked them for their parts, even with the poor material. As bad as Doom was, I am not sure how much I can blame Julian McMahon. I am not sold that he would have done much better with better material, but I'm not convinced he couldn't have either. He was also handed the worst role of the films.

Gruffud and Alba were bad. I don't think better writing would have saved them, really. Evans and Chiklis I think could have saved that cast with better material. I actually liked them for their parts, even with the poor material. As bad as Doom was, I am not sure how much I can blame Julian McMahon. I am not sold that he would have done much better with better material, but I'm not convinced he couldn't have either. He was also handed the worst role of the films.

I think both Gruffud and McMahon could have worked with a better script and better director. I've seen Gruffud in other roles and he plays them strong and confident, so I think he could have played a much better Reed if the script and director hadn't asked him to be an awkward geek.

I dont even like Kate Mara.

Egh... I'm throwing this in the bin with Michael Bay's Ninja Turtles.

I really couldve been excited about this film too.

Don't care that it's a reboot.
Don't care that they just want to keep the rights.
Had faith in Josh Trank.

The first cast were horrid bar 2, and this one doesn't instill confidence...

Imagine for a moment there had been no advance notice and we were told: Jamie Bell, Michael B. Jordan and Miles Teller will be playing the three male leads in FF.

Could any of us have even guessed which actor would be playing which part? I think that tells us something about the appropriateness of these actors for these roles.

These are three very distinct, very defined characters, but not from the point of view of this production. From Fox's point of view they're just three interchangable twenty-something male leads.

I think I would have guessed:

Bell - Reed
Teller - Johnny
Jordan - Ben

Gruffud was killed by bad writing and up to the minute changes of the script. He is an excellent actor and has proven it.

Gruffud was killed by bad writing and up to the minute changes of the script. He is an excellent actor and has proven it.

Yeah,I never had a problem with Gruffud.The biggest problem with those films was the script,not so much the cast.Doom/Cloudactis was the sore point to me.

I think Story's cast was better.

This film may have a better collection of four actors, but I definitely don't think they fit the characters as well.

Story's cast. I only ever really had a problem with Alba in the role. I thought the casting of Reed, Ben and Johnny was pretty spot on. Doom could have been better if they worked on him more.

Story's cast minus Alba actually resembled the characters that the movie ended up not being about.

This cast makes Story's cast look like the Fantastic Four as they were designed and intended to be.

I couldn't agree more. He is much better than he shows in the Fantastic Four films.

Story's cast minus Alba actually resembled the characters that the movie ended up not being about.
First movie she looked like the comic book, 2nd movie she looked like a mutant Sue up until they meet the Silver Surfer and then after that her make up was much softer.

So they at least tried to make her look the part, and she looked as much the part of Sue as Evans looked the part of Johnny.

To me it was in the writing that made her come off as a ***** rather than the motherly influence that she was supposed to be.

First movie she looked like the comic book, 2nd movie she looked like a mutant Sue up until they meet the Silver Surfer and then after that her make up was much softer.

So they at least tried to make her look the part, and she looked as much the part of Sue as Evans looked the part of Johnny.

To me it was in the writing that made her come off as a ***** rather than the motherly influence that she was supposed to be.

Yeah, there were a lot of cringe-inducing moments that had nothing to do with her acting, but the writers and director seemed to want to make her into a highly demanding semi-abusive character I guess in the interest of not making her 'weak'.

And the wig in the second movie was very distracting. They should have gone with something more natural looking.

Alba insisted on the wig in the second movie as the bleaching for the first film ruined her hair. But that was a horrible choice of wig, and the contacts were scary.

I also agree the way she acts was stupid. I'm so selfish to get married, I'm going to let the world be destroyed. Also in trying to make her stronger, they made Reed totally ***** whipped. Contrast that to where in the comics he and Sue took opposite sides in the Marvel Civil war.

Alba insisted on the wig in the second movie as the bleaching for the first film ruined her hair. But that was a horrible choice of wig,

And I don't begrudge her one bit for not wanting the dye job, but yeah, I've seen better wigs in dollar stores.

Gruffudd is a good actor. If you've ever watched the Horatio Hornblower series, he is a good actor. Alba I'll agree with you on.

The problem for McMahon was they made Doom a corporate tycoon. It just showed how much they lowered the bar for these films for what they could have been. Even in the second film where the stakes seem to be higher they somehow manage to make it feel mundane.

I still think they could have sold Corporate Doom, if they had made a few changes:

1. Sole stock holder of Doom, Inc. He rules his corporate empire as absolutely as he rules Latveria in the comics

2. A genius, fully the equal of Reed Richards

3. No super powers. Instead, he *builds* his own superpowers, based on the tests and measurements and study of the Fantastic Four

Never thought I'd say it, but Tim Story's cast.

Alba insisted on the wig in the second movie as the bleaching for the first film ruined her hair. But that was a horrible choice of wig, and the contacts were scary.

I also agree the way she acts was stupid. I'm so selfish to get married, I'm going to let the world be destroyed. Also in trying to make her stronger, they made Reed totally ***** whipped. Contrast that to where in the comics he and Sue took opposite sides in the Marvel Civil war.

She wore a wig in the shot where she runs from the fans when she sees her and Reed plastered all over the tabloids, that wig looked perfectly fine, not sure why they didn't use it in the 2nd movie. She also wore a wig that looked fine in the reshoot of the planetarium scene and it looked fine. The wig and MAKE UP in the 2nd movie were scary as hell until the 2nd half, and then they decided to go back to the crappy make up at the end. It was a head shaker....she wore a wig in the promotional shots in Entertainment Weekly for Sin City, why couldn't they have used that wig, it looked great.

Last edited:
Alba should have played Crystal...

Gruffudd could have worked if he had been written correctly and the script had given him something to do - but it failed him just like Cyclops was short changed in the X-Films...

Yeah,I never had a problem with Gruffud.The biggest problem with those films was the script,not so much the cast.Doom/Cloudactis was the sore point to me.

I agree. Sans Alba, who I didn't HATE, I liked Story's FF cast a lot. Torch and Thing were spot on and terrific for the part and I liked Gruffud a lot, he's a great actor, and he hides his English accent and how he acts in real life flawlessly - I also liked Julian McMahon as Dr Doom, any problems with the films were at the script level for the most part for me.

Also, loved John Ottman's score for the movies. I wish the opening title sequence as seen in the extended edition was left in the theatrical cut.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"