Which film is better? Thor or Thor: the Dark World?

Even based on looks I prefer the more glossy look to Asgard in the first.

I like both films but I'm really not feeling Jane and her sidekicks. And I'm probably the only fan who would gladly have cut back on Loki's screen time if it meant getting more screen time for Sif and the Warriors 3.

Yes you’ve been very vocal in your dislike of Thor 2 but are you honestly ranking it on the level of Last Stand or Borigins? Come on man.

Thats not what I saying at all, TDW is a much better movie than those 2, but still very disappointing to me. I was saying as a huge X-Men fan I am not just going to be happy getting X-Men movies if they are poor just because I am an X-Men fan.

I just dont personally think that way

Cap and Thor are two very different types of heroes. Asgard and Dark Elves aren't real. Snowden, NSA, terrorism, etc. are all very real. As a result Cap 2 is the darkest and most serious film Marvel has made yet - proving among other things that they apply the right tone where needed. But as much as I would love a director with the same passion for the source material as the Russos, I certainly don't want Thor to try to be a Captain America movie. That would be a fail.

Again you totally misunderstood what I was saying, I am not saying I want a Thor movie to be like a Cap one, but that I wish Marvel would have put the same effort into TDW that they did with TWS. After following the production of both movies, this obviously wasnt the case. Marvel just seems to put more effort into getting their Cap movies right than their Thor ones.

Of ALL the Marvel Related films to ME the worst are the FF films. Heck even Man-Thing and Howard the Duck were more actuate.

Thor and TDW to me are both up there on my list, but based on LOOKS TDW is much better. Both are missing important story lines that SHOULD have been left in. (I need a TDW script to read)

I think there have been worse CBMs than the FF movies, X3 for example or The Spirit. Thor is one of my favourite MCU movies, and was my favourite solo movie before TWS came out. TDW just gets lower and lower on the list the more I watch it or think about it. But, to each his own.

Thats not what I saying at all, TDW is a much better movie than those 2, but still very disappointing to me. I was saying as a huge X-Men fan I am not just going to be happy getting X-Men movies if they are poor just because I am an X-Men fan.

Again you totally misunderstood what I was saying, I am not saying I want a Thor movie to be like a Cap one, but that I wish Marvel would have put the same effort into TDW that they did with TWS. After following the production of both movies, this obviously wasnt the case. Marvel just seems to put more effort into getting their Cap movies right than their Thor ones.

I think there have been worse CBMs than the FF movies, X3 for example or The Spirit. Thor is one of my favourite MCU movies, and was my favourite solo movie before TWS came out. TDW just gets lower and lower on the list the more I watch it or think about it. But, to each his own.

Sorry for misunderstanding. I hear what you are saying. As fans we should not support garbage even though it features our favorite character. I certainly don't think TDW falls in that category and enjoy the movie immensely. However, I don't like how divisive a film it seems to be becoming. I really hope Thor 3 can unite the fan base and give us a more universally loved film.

It does seem like Marvel has a clearer vision for Cap at the moment. But that's not a bad thing. I look at the success of The Winter Soldier as a very big positive not just for Cap but for the MCU in general. Marvel is definitely trying to maintain a high level of quality across all of their films. I feel Thor is one of the hardest properties to translate into film but he is one of their Big Three and with their premier properties in other hands (Spider-Man, X-Men), Marvel certainly cannot afford to let the character languish. I'm sure they are not happy with the middling reviews of the film and I believe they will do right by Thor. I find it interesting that Marvel has never brought back a director who didn't hit it out of the park. Favreau (Iron Man), Whedon (Avengers) and now the Russos (Winter Soldier). Let's all hope they find a really great talent to helm Thor 3 who can take the contributions of Branagh and Taylor to the next level. (I would even be open to seeing Branagh return actually.)

All in all, I prefer to stay positive about where this franchise is headed.

^Lets hope all of this is true, after Avengers I thought Marvel couldnt go wrong, seems I was very wrong in that. I dont want Thor 3 ending up like the 2nd movie did, and I would love Branagh to come back, until TWS came out, Thor 1 was my favourite solo MCU movie.

that's why I said out of all the MARVEL films.
There are many that can be worse I guess and the more I hear about this new FF it's going to get WORSE. I'm to miffed with Fox to even BOTHER going into the threads. They don't listen to the fans and threat movies like a friggin TV show (but this is what WE think the public likes) bs turned me off along time ago.

Fox is plane and simply poking a sleeping bear

Yeah even for as much as I give TDW crap, I'd still say it's not a BAD movie in any way

It was just extremely disappointing, and felt very small considering the epic nature of the story they went with.
I was expecting Lord of The Rings, but got Willow instead.

Any ambush would involve using the Aether (and by extension Jane) as the bait exposing it to being reclaimed by the enemy just as Thor had done. Malekith clearly had a connection with the Aether (since he created it) and would not have fallen for any illusion.

Except, he did fall for that exact illusion, like 15 minutes prior when Frigga did it.
Again, my little plan was not exactly great, but I also only spent all of 3 minutes thinking about it. The writers kinda had months to figure out something better.

Last edited:
Except, he did fall for that exact illusion, like 15 minutes prior when Frigga did it.
Again, my little plan was not exactly great, but I also only spent all of 3 minutes thinking about it. The writers kinda had months to figure out something better.

True but the difference being that Jane was still in close proximity. Malekith could sense the Aether was nearby because it was. If they were to set up an ambush elsewhere Jane would still need to be used as bait.

Maybe Thor's plan wasn't the greatest but I've yet to hear a better one given the parameters of the situation. And he still managed to save the universe. :yay:

^Lets hope all of this is true, after Avengers I thought Marvel couldnt go wrong, seems I was very wrong in that. I dont want Thor 3 ending up like the 2nd movie did, and I would love Branagh to come back, until TWS came out, Thor 1 was my favourite solo MCU movie.

I heard the reasons that Branagh did not return were twofold - 1) he had some of his own projects he wanted to pursue and 2) did not feel he could produce a sequel in the timeframe Marvel was looking for. In an interview he was gracious about the sequel but said he would have done things differently than Taylor. I sense that Branagh still has an attachment to this franchise and he is a Thor fan - as opposed to Taylor who admitted he didn't really love fantasy which kind of floored me when I heard that considering his resume.

Another director I think would be awesome is Guillermo Del Toro. Supposedly he was going to be involved in a Hulk TV show at one point. I don't know if he is a Thor fan though. I think that's an important consideration for the next film's director. The Russos are big Cap fans and it shows.

Thor 1 was more compelling and had more heart IMO.

The sequel just felt obligatory.

We need Branagh back. Just listening to his commentary on the first film told me he had a MUCH better grasp of the myriad dynamics of the Thor world. I'm sure there are other directors out there that could do a Thor film justice, but after the 2nd film, I'd rather go with Branagh, who in my opinion has proved himself more than worthy(to possess the power of Thor :woot:).

If the third has an incredible script Branagh can deliver an incredible movie. He brought so much more style, charm and grace to the Thor world. My harsh opinion of TDW has softened recently, but it still feels, like the poster above said, obligatory. It doesn't feel like it has any passion behind it most of the time. The film only shines in spurts.

that's why I said out of all the MARVEL films.
There are many that can be worse I guess and the more I hear about this new FF it's going to get WORSE. I'm to miffed with Fox to even BOTHER going into the threads. They don't listen to the fans and threat movies like a friggin TV show (but this is what WE think the public likes) bs turned me off along time ago.

Fox is plane and simply poking a sleeping bear

Thankfully Fox has got back on track with the X-Men franchise, FC and TW were both brilliant, and DOFP looks amazing.

With FF, I dont know why but despite not liking any news about it so far I am still quietly confident it will be good. Chronicle was a great little movie, and Kinberg seems much better now than in his X3 days.

I heard the reasons that Branagh did not return were twofold - 1) he had some of his own projects he wanted to pursue and 2) did not feel he could produce a sequel in the timeframe Marvel was looking for. In an interview he was gracious about the sequel but said he would have done things differently than Taylor. I sense that Branagh still has an attachment to this franchise and he is a Thor fan - as opposed to Taylor who admitted he didn't really love fantasy which kind of floored me when I heard that considering his resume.

Another director I think would be awesome is Guillermo Del Toro. Supposedly he was going to be involved in a Hulk TV show at one point. I don't know if he is a Thor fan though. I think that's an important consideration for the next film's director. The Russos are big Cap fans and it shows.

I would love it if Branagh came back, that 1st Thor movie was amazing and is what made me a fan of character, I never would have considered reading Thor comics before seeing that but now I have read a few.

Thankfully Fox has got back on track with the X-Men franchise, FC and TW were both brilliant, and DOFP looks amazing.

With FF, I dont know why but despite not liking any news about it so far I am still quietly confident it will be good. Chronicle was a great little movie, and Kinberg seems much better now than in his X3 days.

I would love it if Branagh came back, that 1st Thor movie was amazing and is what made me a fan of character, I never would have considered reading Thor comics before seeing that but now I have read a few.
I don't argue that BUT take a look at THIS
http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/content/we-dont-call-them-fantastic-four-says-simon-kinberg-video

I dunno about that
Gunna have to wait to see DOFP to say that for sure.
I still have uneasy feelings about that movie, liked TW and FC was okay, but I'm unsure on that one

I thought FC was pretty good too but I personally wouldn't say brilliant. Also I couldn't help but be annoyed they didn't use the actual First Class from the comics. I never saw TW. The whole robot Silver Samarai thing looked totally stupid. DOFP might be good but I was disappointed by the trailers. Too Wolverine centric (as usual) and too many ideas ripped off from other films. I'm not even sure I'm going to see it now with all these horrible allegations about Singer. I need to wait and see how that shakes out.

You don't like any news but are confident it will be good? I admire your optimism but I'm totally negative against Fox right now and have nothing but dread for this new FF film. I'm sorry but I'm a big FF fan and the FF is not Chronicle. I feel Fox doesn't really get these characters. Everything Kinberg has said recently has just depressed me even further.

What has Kinberg done lately that's good? He seems like a hack to me. He completely wasted characters like Angel and Rogue and single-handedly almost destroyed the X-Men franchise. People blame Ratner but he was just a hired gun called in at the last minute to do Fox's bidding.

I love the first one too. I think Branagh had a good handle on the mythology and the character and he assembled a heckuva cast. It seems Marvel and he are still on good terms so you never know. Could happen. I'd be cool with it.

I'm Thor fan first though (and perhaps being a Thor fan helps me appreciate what Taylor was able to accomplish and really enjoy the second film more) and I am not beholden to any director. The visual aesthetic from the first pales in comparison to the second to me. I hope whoever comes on for the third outing can take all the contributions from the first two films and build on them rather than just discard.

Bring Branagh back with Taylor as the DP
would be perfect

I'm fine with getting a new director. I think TDW was a bit better than Thor, although not on all points, so I'd like to see a new director that could take the best of both and add his own for a third movie.

My biggest hopes for Thor right now are more focused on Age of Ultron though. I want Marvel to stick with the new look for Thor (and the rest of Asgard in the future), I want it to work well as the next step for him after TDW and I want him to take a step up both socially and power wise from the first one.

Mjölnir;28552173 said:
I'm fine with getting a new director. I think TDW was a bit better than Thor, although not on all points, so I'd like to see a new director that could take the best of both and add his own for a third movie.

My biggest hopes for Thor right now are more focused on Age of Ultron though. I want Marvel to stick with the new look for Thor (and the rest of Asgard in the future), I want it to work well as the next step for him after TDW and I want him to take a step up both socially and power wise from the first one.

I doubt they'll do much to change Thor's look. If anything they may make adjustments to the armor & add to the length of his hair but that would probably be about it.

And I was fine with the change in directors, it actually hasn't ever bothered me or truly crossed my mind. As long as the film is up to par, that's all that matters, imo.

Thor.

I didn't find Thor the Dark World very interesting, and I thought the villain was bland.

I found both films quite entertaining, but after considering for a bit, I think I kind of prefer the first Thor. I found the storyline to be a bit tighter than in TDW, perhaps because it's simpler. TDW felt just a bit too ambitious - the villain was supposed to possess this all-powerful Aether and the level of danger was supposedly apocalyptic, but it all just felt sort of tame to me.

In Thor, the story seems more driven by emotion and focused on Thor's and Loki's character development. I loved Loki's introduction there, and the movie set the basis for the brothers' troubled relationship quite well. Whereas in TDW, their relationship is more a side development of the story.

Also, I thought Loki's appearance at the end of TDW left a gaping plot hole. I think I read that he really was supposed to die in the original script and his appearance at the end was an afterthought. Well, it does look like an afterthought rather than a well-integrated plot device, especially as no insight is given as to whether Loki did die or how he survived, among other questions. Thor just tied things up so much better.

I found both films quite entertaining, but after considering for a bit, I think I kind of prefer the first Thor. I found the storyline to be a bit tighter than in TDW, perhaps because it's simpler. TDW felt just a bit too ambitious - the villain was supposed to possess this all-powerful Aether and the level of danger was supposedly apocalyptic, but it all just felt sort of tame to me.

In Thor, the story seems more driven by emotion and focused on Thor's and Loki's character development. I loved Loki's introduction there, and the movie set the basis for the brothers' troubled relationship quite well. Whereas in TDW, their relationship is more a side development of the story.

Also, I thought Loki's appearance at the end of TDW left a gaping plot hole. I think I read that he really was supposed to die in the original script and his appearance at the end was an afterthought. Well, it does look like an afterthought rather than a well-integrated plot device, especially as no insight is given as to whether Loki did die or how he survived, among other questions. Thor just tied things up so much better.

First off - Welcome!

In reply to your post, I can't imagine it was ever Marvel's plan to kill off their best villain. I don't see any plot hole at all. It was demonstrated numerous times in the film (as well as in previous films) Loki's powers of illusion.

Personally I think the weapon itself and the stab through the heart of Kurse was all an illusion. It was the black hole grenade that killed Kurse.

If Loki didn't play Thor's emotions so well, I think Thor's first instinct would have been "man Loki's messing with me again". But Loki played it masterfully throughout - even selflessly saving Jane - causing Thor to let his guard down and trust him yet again.

First off - Welcome!

In reply to your post, I can't imagine it was ever Marvel's plan to kill off their best villain. I don't see any plot hole at all. It was demonstrated numerous times in the film (as well as in previous films) Loki's powers of illusion.

Personally I think the weapon itself and the stab through the heart of Kurse was all an illusion. It was the black hole grenade that killed Kurse.

If Loki didn't play Thor's emotions so well, I think Thor's first instinct would have been "man Loki's messing with me again". But Loki played it masterfully throughout - even selflessly saving Jane - causing Thor to let his guard down and trust him yet again.

Thanks for the welcome! :woot:

Yeah, I see your point of view. Your explanation makes good sense considering Loki's powers. Still, it isn't certain. I'm just slightly frustrated that the movie plot (which isn't really subtle in other respects: the Dark Elves' motives and all-out attack, the humor, etc) requires me to make so much inference regarding so important a point as what really happened to Loki and Odin.

I wish it were a little more clarified, hahah, these aren't TV episodes where I can deal with waiting a while for the next. It'll be some years before Thor 3 comes out. I guess I'm a bit impatient to know what happened xD

All in all, TDW is pretty awesome. And to be clear, I'm not complaining that Loki didn't die - I think it's way more fun that he lives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"