• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BvS Which Green Lantern should be used? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
No! Don't be so right. We all know everyone hates Hal because Ryan Reynolds and reasons.

Stewart is the modern popular version of GL, no matter what... he stole some of Hal's thunder :o

Hal fans are few, and they stick together.
Why do you have to act like this all the time? It's really immature. You don't have to keep telling us you don't like Hal.

You've stated that you're not even a big fan of Green Lantern, but you're one of the top posters in here. The VAST majority of your posts in here are Hal-hate. Why do you waste so much time talking about a character that you don't like?

We get that you don't like the character, you don't have to be such a *****e about it though.

i prefer Hal, but I don't spend my time **** talking the other characters. Since I'm actually a fan of the character, I appreciate all the different supporting Lanterns and realize their importance. But a fan of Green Lantern should be able to recognize that Hal is by far the most important character to the mythology, and overlooking him is a mistake, unless the lead GL is amalgamated with Hal like John Stewart in JL TAS.

Not using Hal severely limits a future GL story, this is a fact. Hal is the main character of the Green Lantern universe. Using anyone else first would be a huge disservice to the character's history. Hal won the poll by the way, so...

I don't get how someone could hate the character after reading Johns' groundbreaking GL run (the best Green Lantern run that has ever been, nothing else compares) watching Green Lantern The Animated Series, Green Lantern First Flight and the numerous JL dtvs with Hal. I'm convinced that you just want to hate Hal so badly for some reason that no matter what you will hate him, despite the high quality products that have come out that use Hal.

Your negativity reeks of ********edness, I don't know where the Hal hate comes from, but it doesn't make sense.

Anyone with even a basic appreciation for the Green Lantern outside of JL TAS would recognize that Hal is the best character to build a solo franchise out of.

The vast majority of John Stewart supporters are VERY casual fans that are only familiar with Green Lantern from the JL Animated Series.

The real fans prefer Hal Jordan, the casual/lazy fans of only one piece of media prefer John Stewart. What does that say? It says that when people actually take the time to get to know the character better outside of one piece of media, that they prefer Hal to John.

If given the chance, the general public will prefer Hal Jordan to John Stewart. Hal is the lead character of a massive mythology. John Stewart is less important to the Green Lantern universe than Dick Grayson is to Batman.

If you wanna use John Stewart in a JL movie, that's fine, but WB would be squandering SOOOO much potential the second they decide to make John Stewart the only earth GL in a solo movie... UNLESS they steal Hal's stories and relationships and give them to John Stewart.

I want Hal for GL, they can introduce John in the Green Lantern solo movie.

I want Hal for GL, they can introduce John in the Green Lantern solo movie.
That's where John Stewart, Kyle Rayner, and Guy Gardner belong. In a supporting role in a solo GL movie. Green Lantern TAS is a good basis for a GL movie series. It was slowly gearing up towards a War of Light and it was organically introducing the other Lanterns.

Hal, Guy, John and Kyle all deserve to be in a movie, but they should be introduced in the same order that they were introduced in the comics.

Exactly :up:

Hal is The Green Lantern IMO.

plus I really wanna see the Star Sapphire story adapted with Carol. speaking of Carol, didn't she have a cameo in MOS?

Last edited:
what a waste of time and energy it would be if Hal Jordan isn't in the movies. WB and DC have spent a lot of time bringing him back and clearly establishing him as THE Green Lantern. I will be seriously surprised if any other Green Lantern is used in the movies.

They could use any of the other Lanterns, and no-one significant would care. As the character is not particularly popular, WB should feel licensed to amalgamate the mythos as it sees fit in order to maximize its appeal.

They could use any of the other Lanterns, and no-one significant would care. As the character is not particularly popular, WB should feel licensed to amalgamate the mythos as it sees fit in order to maximize its appeal.
Spoken like a true non comic book fan. They should only change what is absolutely necessary. With this line of thinking Superman would have an all black costume in order to maximize appeal. Where do the changes end once you start making them? I say stick to the source material as much as possible.

But Hal is the most popular GL, and IMO the most important, Guy, John and Kyle, should be supporting characters but nonetheless still important characters.

I agree Rorschach2012.

Last edited:

Then out of the 2 million or so kids that watched the cartoon, that are still alive, that still like superheroes, that go to the movies, that prefer John, that wouldn't have seen it anyway? Bank.

Yes Hal is the most popular Green Lantern and he's also the star of one of the most infamous comicbook movie mega bombs. You guys are insane if you think that WB won't be super duper extra gun shy about using him anytime soon.

Spoken like a true non comic book fan. They should only change what is absolutely necessary. With this line of thinking Superman would have an all black costume in order to maximize appeal. Where do the changes end once you start making them? I say stick to the source material as much as possible.

Stick to source material where it has merit and has not been preserved merely to pacify a few elderly readers.

There are richer pastures for CBMs nowadays.

Stick to source material where it has merit and has not been preserved merely to pacify a few elderly readers.

There are richer pastures for CBMs nowadays.
"where it has merit" :hehe:

you've never read Geoff Johns' Green Lantern run. That run is the reason to do a Green Lantern movie.

Hal is really the only choice. If the other characters have to be amalgamated with Hal in order to work, what does that say?

Which John's run are you talking about? I read the crappy run where Hal was forced back in to replace (the superior) Kyle Rayner, and some of the crappy Blackest Night thing (though not all of the cash-ins). They were just typical Johns, to me. Bland and bloated.

Which John's run are you talking about? I read the crappy run where Hal was forced back in to replace (the superior) Kyle Rayner, and some of the crappy Blackest Night thing (though not all of the cash-ins). They were just typical Johns, to me. Bland and bloated.
Kyle Rayner is an amazing character, but he relies on Hal for his introduction, he'd have to be heavily modified in order to be introduced. Or they could go the STAS route, but that's a Hal amalgamation.

Geoff Johns did so much for the GL mythology. The build up to Blackest Night is great, but the execution on the payoff was slightly unsatisfying. A modified adaptation of Blackest Night would be perfect for a film series. I wouldn't adapt Geoff Johns' work panel for panel, but his work on Secret Origin, Sinestro Corps War, and the build up to Blackest Night is excellent, there's a lot there that a film series should draw from.

Atrocitus, Saint Walker, and Larfleeze are all Johns' creations, and IMO they've become staples of the GL mythology. A film trilogy that builds towards Blackest Night seems like the logical way to go for a film series.

Kyle Rayner is a great character in his own right, he's the 2nd greatest Green Lantern, but he lacks an iconic villain on the same level as Sinestro. Hal has that great relationship with Sinestro. Sinestro is the Joker to Green Lantern's Batman. They shouldn't even attempt a GL movie series if they don't intend to do GL vs Sinestro, and doing a Green Lantern vs Sinestro movie without Hal would be a joke unless they used Hal's relationship with Sinestro.

The way to do it is to introduce Hal first in Justice League, then he will lead the GL solos, with Kyle, Guy and John introduced later. That's the way it was done in the comics, and I think it's the most logical way to go for the movies too. There's no reason to stray from the source material here.

I think whatever lantern they use should have a variety of masks. on another planet a domino mask isn't so bad, but on earth it's kind of dumb, as are john stewart's green/white/whatever colored irises. a mask like simon baz's on earth could look pretty cool, though some fans my not like it.

I grew up with John on JLTAS. John is and will always be my Lantern. He was my favorite character after Bats, Supers, and Martian Manhunter. He was a complete badass and got some Hawk love.

I did grew up with Wally but after reading Barry comics, I prefer Barry. After reading Hal comics, I still prefer John. Even if John's comics do suck, I grew up on the John from JLTAS.

Personally I would want to see either John Stewart or Martian Manhunter because both are my 2 favorite JL members after Bats and Supers. That's just me.

I grew up with John on JLTAS. John is and will always be my Lantern. He was my favorite character after Bats, Supers, and Martian Manhunter. He was a complete badass and got some Hawk love.

I did grew up with Wally but after reading Barry comics, I prefer Barry. After reading Hal comics, I still prefer John. Even if John's comics do suck, I grew up on the John from JLTAS.

Personally I would want to see either John Stewart or Martian Manhunter because both are my 2 favorite JL members after Bats and Supers. That's just me.
Fair enough. The problem with John though is his potential for a solo franchise pales in comparison to Hal. You have to steal Hal's villains for it to work. OR they could use Despero and Mongul as villains of a John movie, and they could forgo Sinestro. That'd be a mistake though, the personal relationship between Hal and Sinestro is one of the main reasons I think a Green Lantern movie series would work.

have you seen Green Lantern: The Animated Series?

Fair enough. The problem with John though is his potential for a solo franchise pales in comparison to Hal. You have to steal Hal's villains for it to work. OR they could use Despero and Mongul as villains of a John movie, and they could forgo Sinestro. That'd be a mistake though, the personal relationship between Hal and Sinestro is one of the main reasons I think a Green Lantern movie series would work.

have you seen Green Lantern: The Animated Series?

I've always had an idea that for a John Stewart origin story or film, Mongul would be a great idea for a main villain. It's a major DC baddie, it's not Sinistro so doesn't take anything from Hal, War World is ****ing badass.

meetsomeonewhohates.gif

I've always had an idea that for a John Stewart origin story or film, Mongul would be a great idea for a main villain. It's a major DC baddie, it's not Sinistro so doesn't take anything from Hal, War World is ****ing badass.

meetsomeonewhohates.gif

You're a big JL TAS so we are automatically friends. I would love to also see Martian Manhunter introduced at some point in this film universe. He SHOULD be on the JL, but it seems like Cyborg is replacing him. They should totally introduce Martian Manhunter in a Green Lantern movie. That would really help get me into a John Stewart solo movie. Maybe John and J'onn have to team up against Mongul or Despero. That would be something I'd definitely want to see.

You're a big JL TAS so we are automatically friends. I would love to also see Martian Manhunter introduced at some point in this film universe. He SHOULD be on the JL, but it seems like Cyborg is replacing him. They should totally introduce Martian Manhunter in a Green Lantern movie. That would really help get me into a John Stewart solo movie. Maybe John and J'onn have to team up against Mongul or Despero. That would be something I'd definitely want to see.

I have an idea for a Justice League script I'm working on. It's an origin with Brainiac as the villain. The first scene is basically Hal (using him because Barry is really the main character of the film and because of him and Barry's relationship) and Martian Manhunter. Martian Manhunter is on Saturn. In the comics he has a friend called Jemm who lives there. Blah blah blah, eventually he meets up with Hal.

Now Hal isn't familiar with Brainiac but J'onn is. In my take (and this happenes later on in flashback) Brainiac is responsible for Mars's loss of life. Brainiac has a martian city. Before the planet was destroyed, Green Lantern Abin Sur stopped Brainiac's missile from destroying the planet but due to the blast going off by a mistake, the impact of the explosion killed all life on Mars but J'onn was the only one who found a way to survive. He has a black scar on his face like Anakin in Episode 3. J'onn and Abin became good friends but while Abin Sur is considered one of the greatest Green Lanterns, his greatest mistake he says was not arriving to safe Mars soon enough.

Just an idea I had that I love and kind of what you had with a Martian Mnahunter/GL team up.

I like that idea a lot, tying the destruction of Mars to a villain like Darkseid or Brainiac nicely ties Martian Manhunter into a Justice League movie. Hal Jordan and Martian Manhunter meeting up with each other before they meet the rest of the Justice League is a nice touch as well.

Maybe the Brave and the Bold film could feature Hal and Barry vs Mongul, and Manhunter could be introduced there? I keep trying to think of who would work as a villain in a Brave and the Bold film. Grodd seems to Flash specific, and too terrestrial, Sinestro is to GL specific, and I could never see Reverse Flash and Sinestro teaming up. Mongul seems like a good neutral villain for that movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"